Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AKA - Be careful what you wish for.

When I first joined the boards, someone asked what a Beta was, to which myself and several others explained that a Beta reader is someone you - as the writer - would use to read your finished manuscript, to get a 'readers view' of your completed work. Sometimes Beta readers are familiar critiquers, who can provide helpful feedback regarding prose and construction. Sometimes they're just average Joes, sought out because they're just an average reader who can give you an average reader's opinion on your work as a whole.

It can give the writer a good sense of pacing, of character development, and believability in plot. An objective eye, if you will, completely removed from the author's own bias and internal editor. Someone to just say Yes, I'd buy that. Or No, I didn't like it at all.

Sometimes it's more like being pecked to death by chickens.

Beta 1: I loved it! I could SO see Keanu Reeves playing this guy if they make a movie out of your book, except you have him with blond hair, and I think Keanu's hair is black. You could change that, though, using that global replace thing in Word.
I'd lose that girl, though. I hate relationship stuff.
Anyway, it was cool and I liked it. And I never would have figured out who killed that girl if you hadn't said so at the end. Make sure to send me a copy when it gets published.

Beta 2: I loved it! Don’t change a thing !

Beta 3: Wow! That was really something!
Did you forget to put in the sex scenes? I looked, but didn't find any. When you get those added in, can you send it to me again?
Oh, and I figured out who killed the guy right at the beginning, so you might want to change that.
But I was wrong, so maybe you don't have to.

Beta 4: I don't get it.

Beta 5: That was a great read - I'd change the whole thing, and make it a Sci-Fi with aliens. If this becomes a movie, you need to make Orlando Bloom play that lead guy.
Other than that, it was perfect. Send me five copies when it's published.

Beta 6: You need to add some elves, and have at least two sex scenes in there. Nobody's gonna buy this book if there aren't elves. Have you seen Lord of the Things?

Beta 7: I think it should be in space, 'cause I hear Fantasy makes a lot of money, like that Potter one.

Beta 8: You should send this to someone, they could make a book out of it.

Writer: Dear McDonalds, are you accepting applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.