Stranger Things season 3

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the first two seasons.

Just watched the first episode of season 3. Not interested in watching more.

No big spoilers follow, just intense disappointment and bitching about the why.

Okay, I get that the kids are growing up. I get that they're becoming teens and teens can be brats. But I don't recognize some of these kids any more, and I don't mean because they're a bit older, their voices a bit deeper (the boys), etc. I mean, the dialog is Just Awful, full stop. There's none of the charm of the first two seasons written for these kids. Rebellious teens? Try major-league cocky assholes, sometimes behaving that way to full-grown adults they're not related to, who are scary-big authority figures compared to them and clearly angry. What!?

Beyond that, it's kept the trappings of the previous season. The Upside Down, invaders from it, bad things coming, blah blah. With pretty much zero buildup to this, I'll add. Subtle, it is not.

I know these child actors can act, but I think they're being given crap to work with here. Did they fire the original writers? Or did those writers just forget how to recapture the magic spend all their earnings on cocaine and haven't been the same since?

Who knows. Maybe the season regains its stride. I'm out. Don't care. Better things to watch.

Last edited:

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Huh, I'm enjoying it so far. Felt the first episode was meh but the second episode I liked a lot more. I felt it balanced the comedy and mystery more and was more like season one than two. It still feels more light-hearted like season two than the more horror-esque feel it had to season one (at least to me). I was a bit annoyed by the characters but I took it as them just growing into their teenage years.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
There are a lot of reasons it feels inauthentic to me, and it might just have to do with my experience. I was working in venture capital around that time, and while I know newspapers were likely awful, the financial sector was dreadful. And the way the men in the office behave on the show reads off to me - not the sexism, but the rudeness. Sometimes you'd run into one or two of them who'd come at you with the BS fratboy "humor," but for the most part they'd be extremely polite while they stared at your chest and stole all your work.

And the Mars/Venus stuff - ugh. Just ugh. But I'll admit that's a personal pet peeve.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
What bothered you about the mars/venus thing?

VERY MINOR SPOILERS BELOW:

Without going into too much , the one thing that bothers me is the whole not knowing the whole story trope between two characters. I understand why Mike won't tell El the truth but...yea, just never been a fan of the whole misunderstanding plot device to drive tension.

I just finished episode three and I'm still really enjoying this season.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
What bothered you about the mars/venus thing?

Apart from the fact that people aren't like that?

I could have swallowed it from the kids (more or less), but not from Hopper and Joyce. Every bit of their interactions in the first three episodes - up until he was talking to her about reacting to Bob's death - was bad-comedian-slapstick stupid.

We didn't have #metoo and You Just Don't Understand in 1985, but it's not like those concepts were alien. To worldbuild that things were handled differently in 1985 is fine. To worldbuild that people were just flat-out ignorant of the issues is revisionist.

ETA: I know it's a TV show. :) And I'm pleased for folks who are enjoying it. I'll probably watch the rest of it at some point, because I'm curious enough about the Russian stuff (and Steve and Dustin play off each other really well). I'm just disappointed.

Last edited: