practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
cc

Last edited:

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
I can relate to most of that. I'm a hypochondriac, in addition to being emetophobic, so I make damn sure that I minimize any potential risk of getting sick. And the thought of kissing someone who has residues of food flavours in their mouth makes me shudder.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just a raging paranoid with tendancies toward depression and a feeling of self-doubt.

Very normal for us writer-types :D

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
There used to be a "How Monkish Are You?" quiz on the TV shows website, but I couldn't find it.

I scored a not at all Monkish. I'm the type who lives by the 5-second rule no matter what the item (unless it's something sticky that will pick up all the dog hair, in which case I try my best to salvage it, but if it's a goner, then it gets thrown away).

I leave a wake of dirt in my path, I think is what the final score came out to be.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nothin' wrong with eatin' a little dog hair. Dogs do it all the time.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I'm not entirely unsanitary (my house is clean, my kitchen is clean, my clothes are clean, I'm clean) but I don't use alcohole wipes before eating, I don't excessively wash my hands, and so on.

It was St. Croix that did me in. Living there showed me that there's no use being afraid of germs and disease, if they're gonna get you, they'll get you no matter what and then you're dead. After that, I came back to the states and it seemed a bit...blaise...to me.

(is blaise the right word? I've never used the word before. Only read it.)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Shadow_Ferret said:
Your immune system: Use it or lose it.

Exactly. As it stands, I get sick maybe twice a year. When I do get sick, it's usually because I stopped sleeping/eating properly because I'm writing something good and working, and it's my body saying "Bugger, quit, will you?"

Big fan of my immune system. It's a sturdy thing.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
PeeDee said:
Exactly. As it stands, I get sick maybe twice a year. When I do get sick, it's usually because I stopped sleeping/eating properly because I'm writing something good and working, and it's my body saying "Bugger, quit, will you?"

Big fan of my immune system. It's a sturdy thing.
I third that. I'm about as anti-Monk as you can get, and when I exercise the five second rule I count very slowly. I have an abnormally strong immune system—if I kiss a girl who has a chronic cold, she usually gets over it in a few days (this is my new flirting approach). Another thing—although it only happens about once a quarter, whenever I clean my kitchen really good, the bugs flock in. I guess they like a clean kitchen too. :)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
5-second rule, 5-minute rule . . . Unless someone's watching, who's to know?

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
SC Harrison said:
I third that. I'm about as anti-Monk as you can get, and when I exercise the five second rule I count very slowly. I have an abnormally strong immune system—if I kiss a girl who has a chronic cold, she usually gets over it in a few days (this is my new flirting approach). Another thing—although it only happens about once a quarter, whenever I clean my kitchen really good, the bugs flock in. I guess they like a clean kitchen too. :)

Even when I don't take good care of it, my immune system is a very sturdy thing. When I was dating my wife, she got an extremely bad case of Mono (one of the joys of public school, I suppose). Very bad, very heavily contagious.

...I was still around, seeing her every day, even when she couldn't get out of bed. I never got more than vaugely tired for a day or so, and then I was back up and running.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
MidnightMuse said:
5-second rule, 5-minute rule . . . Unless someone's watching, who's to know?
There are enough animals in my house that I generally don't practice this particular rule, though.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jo, I'm a bit O/C, but not about germs (yet). I do tend to avoid putting my hands on escalator rails, but that's about it. My sister just sent me this email last week, though...

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]"So much for the new Gucci or Coach handbag.. E coli bags are in!!![/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif] [/FONT] [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]They were just watching their local Fox 5 news (Atlanta, GA) Health Report (8 May 2006). That evening they aired this report on a study they performed on women's purses. Their health team went to a local mall and took samples from the bottom of 50 women's purses. The purses were swabbed with cotton swabs along the entire bottom of the purses and placed into special containers. The swabs were then processed at a local laboratory. The Health Report also showed where women place their purses: public restrooms (on the floor beside the toilet), kitchen counters & kitchen tables, on tables & chairs in restaurants, etc. [/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif][/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]The results of the laboratory tests contained the following most serious result: 1 out of 4 purses - E COLI.[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif] Other extremely serious bacteria also were listed, including Hepatitis.[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif] They recommended that women should DAILY wipe their purses (particularly the bottom) with a disinfectant wipe and to be extremely careful where they place their purse. Most important, do NOT place the purse on a table (anywhere) where you will eat or an a kitchen counter and do not put it anywhere close to a toilet. Remember, when you flush a toilet, the spray goes a distance that is unrecognizable by the human eye. WASH YOUR HANDS as often as you can! Keep an antibacterial hand sanitizer cleaner (no water needed) in your purse and use it often! And as soon as you get home from shopping (or wherever you have been and used your purse), immediately wipe it all over with a disinfectant wipe."[/FONT]

lazy_sod

Geezerette-in-training
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not that Monk-ish, I just have a little paranoia when it comes to small children and their "Jam Hands" .

drevil915

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a weird one: When I do anything, as simple as putting a can of sprite down on the table, it must be perfect. If the exact manner in which I put it down isn't perfect, I must repeat the action until it's perfect.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
I actually have specific instances where I obsess. When my roommate is home, I have instances where I forget to lock our door. It's happened several times. Kind of scary, but no one has broken in and killed us in our sleep, so I guess we're lucky.

But, the instant she isn't here for whatever reason and it's just me and the cats, I have near panic attacks about being all locked up and secured. I will lock the door, go to bed and get up to check it at least two or three times just to make sure. I know I locked the door, but I still check.

The other thing is public restrooms/garbage cans (like in fast-food restaurants, etc.). I DETEST touching just about anything anywhere in these instances. It grosses me out to no end. I could literally watch an employee just clean these areas and it wouldn't make a difference. I'm shuddering just thinking about it.

drevil915

Registered
Reaction score
The other thing is public restrooms

Oh yeah, I also refuse to use public bathrooms. I would rather have my kidneys explode.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
DAMA, YOU ARE NOWHERE NEAR MONKISH

Estoy segura de que si hubiera habido un resultado negativo, esa habría sido yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.