Taking the plunge with My Best Friend Runs Venus! (Released today...eek!)

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I have technically self-published before, putting out a collection of short stories that I had sold to magazines and gotten the rights back for, with a couple original stories thrown in.

But I never self-published any of my novels. I always told myself that if they didn't win an agent over, they clearly "weren't good enough," and they deserved to be shoved in a drawer and read by nobody. The amount of full requests, contest wins, positive beta feedback, and R&Rs the manuscript got didn't sway me. My book was either "offer of representation worthy" or "clearly trash."

After a lot of self-reflection, I've come to realize this was not a healthy mindset. Things can slip through the cracks and not getting an agent doesn't mean a book wasn't good. Heck, I was even told point blank by one agent the lack of an offer had nothing to do with quality--she had just taken on something too similar and couldn't take me on as well.

So I've gotten up the courage to put my novel out there, a middle grade book entitled MY BEST FRIEND RUNS VENUS. All the info is on my website, MBFRV.com. (Because, miraculously, that domain name was actually available.)

I'm really proud it and of how far I've come. I know the journey is just beginning, but I'm excited to be taking it. :)

Last edited:

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Thank you very much! I kind of wondered if some people would recognize it, but then I figured I was thinking too highly of myself. ^_^;;

I could not be more happy with the cover. The artist and cover designer did an amazing job. I would recommend them both to anyone.

birdy50

Registered
Reaction score
Good for you! It's empowering to take our creativity into our own hands and not wait for the permission to create. I think it's awesome. Keep kicking butt!

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Are you published on Amazon and/or some of the other online booksellers? When I went to your website, it looked like you were shipping books directly to readers and I couldn’t find links to online booksellers.

- - - Updated - - -

Or is that because it is a pre-order?

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Congratulations! Are you published on Amazon and/or some of the other online booksellers? When I went to your website, it looked like you were shipping books directly to readers and I couldn’t find links to online booksellers.

- - - Updated - - -

Or is that because it is a pre-order?

That's for the pre-order and if readers want the book signed. For regular orders, it's available on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2KdPoME

Thanks for asking. :)

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
The cover looks great! Good luck! ��

Thanks so much!

More good news--I apparently sold enough copies to have an Amazon Best Sellers Ranking.

Yup, I am #414 in Children's Robot Fiction Books! (#895,390 overall)

Which I'm pretty sure means I sold maybe 3 copies. I don't care. I am happy right now. ^_^