All in the Family and The Jeffersons live TV remake

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really wanted to love it, but...

Woody Harrelson is no Archie Bunker - I know the idea was for the "new" Peeps to put their own spin on the characters, but NO, Woody, just NO! :flag:

Don't get me wrong now, Woody was born to play those Psycho/Con Man/Military/Detective-type Dudes, (and he does it so well), but I've never found his comedic chops to be all that great. :Shrug: - Well, with the exception of Cheers, which he was brilliant in.

Ditto, for the rest of the Bunker household - I was cringing the whole time - It just felt forced and "unnatural."

The Jeffersons was only a little better - Jamie Fox nailed George's characteristics, and if I tilted my head just right, I could see bits of "Weezie" in Wanda Sykes - Lionel and the rest of the gang did OK, but just OK. :e2shrug:

The highlight of the entire presentation was Marla Gibbs - When she walked into the Jefferson's apartment, I was shocked - First, because I thought, DANG, this lady has Florence's speech, posture, etc. down to the "T" - But then I realized that it actually was Marla, and I just started smiling from ear-to-ear...

Because, to be honest, I thought she was dead! :rolleyes

Anyway, it was a nice trip down Memory Lane, but even Jennifer Hudson's rendition of "Moving On Up" didn't cut it for me. :e2yawn: - However, the sets and the costumes were very well done, I must say, so there's that too. :)

Last edited: