• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] The Science Factory

ThomasI

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I am a prof. of engineering.

Over the years, I developed a lot of supplemental instruction on how various mechanisms work:
gyroscopes, boomerangs (why they come back), airplanes, stabilizers, bullets (why they are given a spin), footballs (and why a deflated ball goes further),
why tennis balls have fuzz, why golf balls have dimples.

I created these with no math -- just pictures. I explain the physics with pictures.

My students loved them.

And my high school children love them.

So I am thinking of turning it into a book for teens.

I found this site:
https://www.sciencefactory.co.uk/

Does anyone know about them? Are they reputable?

Furthermore, if you know of an agency/agent who is interested in such things, please let me know.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Look up books similar to your own, look up those writers and see if they mention their agent on their website. If not, ask if they would recommend an agent. No need to tell them about your book, but if you read and enjoyed theirs, they'll love to hear it.

ThomasI

Registered
Reaction score
Look up books similar to your own, look up those writers and see if they mention their agent on their website. If not, ask if they would recommend an agent. No need to tell them about your book, but if you read and enjoyed theirs, they'll love to hear it.

I will do that... thanks... I know of a few.

In the meantime, what about The Science Factory in my post

Are they legit?

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I will do that... thanks... I know of a few.

In the meantime, what about The Science Factory in my post

Are they legit?

They look legit based on a very cursory review of their website. Their agents have specific experience in the industry, and they say they're a member of the Association of Authors' Agents, which is probably the UK equivalent of the Association of Authors' Representatives (or the AAR).

If you want to do more research, look up the agency's authors and the books they've written. Would you want your book to be published by the represented publishers? If so, great! If not, look elsewhere. (And if they haven't sold many--or any--books, proceed with extreme caution.)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that they look solid with appropriate experience etc. The one name I recognise among their authors is Roger Highfield who was science editor for The Daily Telegraph - a major UK newspaper.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
The Science Factory reps a friend of mine and he's doing very well. If I ever get my pop sci/nat hist book finished (one day!), I'd be more than happy to be represented by them.

They have a very good outline of how to put together a proposal.