• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Atmosphere Press

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Just found this press through the weekly Submittable newsletter where they term it a "collaborative publisher." But when you go through their FAQ, it's clear their a vanity publisher spreading all the normal lies and misconceptions about trade publishing. I'm especially annoyed because Submittable presents itself as a service to help writers, and this is just feeding those hopeful authors to the sharks.

Here's the Atmosphere Press website.

Here's the Atmosphere Press FAQ.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's just because I'm working on my old held-together-with-gaffer-tape laptop at the moment, but that website is almost unusable for me. The banner across the top covers the first 2/3 of the screen...

Whereas most traditional publishers front all the initial costs of publication and design, they often end up gouging authors on the back end through onerous royalties contracts and marked-up copies sold to the authors themselves; we’ve seen this happen to great writers over and over again. Instead of this publisher-friendly model, we use an author-centric approach in which you as the author make the initial investment in the publication costs, and reap all the benefits if your book is a hit.

And... WHAT. Erm, that's not how stuff works. I have dozens of FREE author copies written into my contract.