Setting up KDP account so royalties go to someone else?

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
I’m working on a book project for a local nonprofit, to be published via KDP. All payments will go directly to the nonprofit, so I want to make sure we set up the Amazon account correctly. It looks like that account - and the author information - will have to be in the nonprofit’s name for them to receive the payments. Does anyone have experience with this? Is there a way for my name to be attached as the author but have the money sent to someone else’s bank account?

Thanks in advance!

soulrodeo

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
The account will need to be in the name of whoever’s bank account is linked. But anyone’s name can go into the “author” field of any book published through that account. It’s how people juggle 10 different pen names.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I was confused by these instructions on the KDP site:

Add a bank account
The name provided in Author/Publisher Information should be the legal name of the author. In the Getting Paid section under Tell us about your bank, this name should match the name associated with the bank account.”

soulrodeo

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Yes they’ll be the publisher. Small presses and author collectives publish through KDP. Co-writers publish through KDP. Anthologies, etc. Multi-author series. They would go through one KDP account and list whoever as author when filling out the book information. Just as long as you’re aware they (the nonprofit) would own the copyright of the book, not you. You must check a box that says the account owner owns the rights to the book.

Last edited:

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Thanks. I was confused by these instructions on the KDP site:

Add a bank account
The name provided in Author/Publisher Information should be the legal name of the author. In the Getting Paid section under Tell us about your bank, this name should match the name associated with the bank account.”

In this instance, the 'author', (account holder) would be the legal name of your nonprofit entity, and it's corresponding bank account. You will also need to provide a valid tax ID number as well. When you actually go to publish a book, as stated previously, your author name (your name or the alias you choose to use) will go in a field provided for such.

There is no link between the account holder and the author in the published book.

Last edited:

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Consult a lawyer. And probably an accountant.

You seem to be conflating two things--the intellectual property rights and your intent to donate profits to charity.

Some states prohibit you from using a charity's name like that without written consent.

Is a charity going to give you their banking information? I doubt it. Do they even want the copyright for the book? Are you going to assign that copyright through the government office and pay all the fees for doing that?

Charitable organizations have to be very careful about their financial habits.

Even if you do this somehow, does it relieve you from your tax burden for the income? I doubt that seriously.

So the logical thing to do, it seems to me, is keep the copyright, keep the income, and write a check to them for exactly that amount every month (or quarter, or year.)

But consult an attorney and/or an accountant before you listen to anyone here, including me.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I had assumed the OP was acting in the capacity of an employee in an effort to generate revenue under the name of the company. similar to an author setting up an LLC or corporation to harbor the income. So, excellent points. I concur with lorna_w.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Thanks for the feedback! The instructions involving the term “author” mean two different things, then! Confusing.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Thanks also for the advice. That’s good caution in normal circumstances, but this particular situation is far from normal. I’m a volunteer working on a labor of love project for the nonprofit, editing existing material and adding new content and putting it into book form to chronicle a piece of local history. The nonprofit can then sell the books for a small profit.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I don’t want any piece of the copyright or the money. I’ll work with the nonprofit to set up the account so that it controls everything, the money goes directly into its bank, and I don’t have to deal with a thing after the writing, editing and design.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[/FONT]