a Five-year success story

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Five good years at self-publishing? Surely not.

But it's true. I have been in this for five years. (I was trade published before that for 25 years, but I made ridiculously little money at it via that route, and several years I spent more in postage stamps than I earned! Ahh, the old days.) I’ve done well, and I've been earning the top wages of my work life for over four years now.

Last year when I posted an anniversary post, having reached my limit of writing several books per year, and not willing to "pay to play" as Amazon's AMS system demands, I was feeling certain that my sales would tail off badly this past year. Still, at that point I was satisfied with having had my moment in the sun and being aware of the sunset approaching. A lot of writers never experience what I have for a few years, and I'm well aware of that, and I am appropriately grateful.

But then this year I got another dose of good luck. (I of course worked for it, but such efforts often come to nothing.) Occasionally, your career ship goes where you steer it. Mine did this past year. Next year? Not counting on it. The landscape has shifted, and it’s harder to succeed these days than it was in 2014.

My avatar shows something of my sales at Amazon midway through the year. (My novels cost 2.99 to 5.99 USD, and I don't give away free books, not even for promotions.) I also have paper and audio sales, the former earning me about $100/month, and the latter doubling my income in the best months. I only run newsletter ads two or three times per year. After a brief try, I do no social media. If fans write me, I of course write them back.

I began this journey five years back with good writing skills (and enough sales, editorial feedback, and awards that I knew this assessment wasn't merely a Dunning-Kruger delusion), but I had few skills in running a business. I have since learned to be better than competent as a publisher and businessperson. Still, I never did and never will love the management end of the job. I run promos and fill out tax forms and study contracts with slightly less enthusiasm than with which I clean my toilet.

I accomplished all the career goals I'd been carrying around for 30 years. (I never once thought I'd be at the Stephen King level of successful, with a mansion on the ocean/lake and slow boozy lunches with famous people, as I'm a hard-headed realist who knew several midlist writers before I became one myself and understood such a movieland writer’s life is a fiction.) Achieving my sales/ranking/income/fan-letter goals was nothing like I thought it would be, and the dream-come-true of FT writing had many bad-dream moments. Many people think of "writing success" as a steady climb and once you "make it," life gets easier…but that's not so. It gets harder, with many tedious jobs piling onto the basic job of writing. Writing has to be done every day no matter how busy you are otherwise, and if you don't like doing it before you have success, by the way, or if you do everything you can to avoid getting your words this week, you certainly will not like the job any more when you need to do it fulltime to pay your mortgage!

Furthermore, and again this applies both to the self-published and trade-published author, wherever go you on the road of writing success, you meet yourself there, so it really doesn't change much but your bank account. Even the income inevitably fades, and a smart person saves most of his extra earnings during the golden years for that inevitable day. Success will fade for me too, and probably next year or the year after that.

And then it will be someone else's turn to have a half-dozen FT years. Maybe yours, if you work hard and persevere long enough for luck to smile on you. I very much hope it does.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Thank you for this. As someone who wants to but hasn't gotten to self-publishing, this has really boosted my spirits.

Last edited:

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
You go, girl! Wishing you even more success and it's great when people post positive experiences to remind people that YES, for many self-publishing is a path to success. It's not easy but nothing is easy that's worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. Thank you for this. As someone who wants to but hasn't gotten to self-publishing, this has really boosted my spirits.

Good luck on your journey as well. What I love about self-publishing is that the community is full of so many helpful people to steer you in the right direction.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for this, and congratulations! What you say about writing success rings very true with everything I’ve heard from more seasoned writers than me, both trade and self-published.

What do you think was the largest factor in your success over these five years? Did you bring a fan base over from trade publishing, or was it something completely different? I ask because I’ve thought about self-publishing, and I’ve learned in the past year that I can produce way more/faster than I thought I could. But when I read about the ever-changing strategies for self-publishing success, I get daunted. I don’t know if I have it in me to be constantly working on targeting markets and gaming algorithms when I already have a day job. If I did it, it would probably be for fun with the hope of a little extra cash (less than I’ve made through trade publishing). But I admire those who can make it work full time.

Last edited:

TheListener

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for such an inspiring post. It only proves that if you work hard at your craft, no matter what it may be, you can still make it in this world. You have certainly inspired me now to look into self publishing as an option for the future. Cheers.

TrinaM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trinamalone.com
Congratulations and thanks for posting this. It is always wonderful to see someone doing well in this business! I love that you pointed out it is hard work and a business.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
What do you think was the largest factor in your success over these five years? Did you bring a fan base over from trade publishing, or was it something completely different? I ask because I’ve thought about self-publishing, and I’ve learned in the past year that I can produce way more/faster than I thought I could. But when I read about the ever-changing strategies for self-publishing success, I get daunted. I don’t know if I have it in me to be constantly working on targeting markets and gaming algorithms...

The problem is, though a lot of people will try to sell you courses on how to replicate what they did (or worse, what they haven't done but wish they could do), we're all guessing why we did well and the next guy didn't. I ascribe some of my success to pure luck. I changed names going to self-publishing and didn't bring anyone along from trade. Sales built from nothing, a dozen sales one month to many thousands a few months later. And I know that other people can do exactly what I did and not have the same result. And number-one Joe over there, you could follow what he did and not have his success.

I still believe that the combination of luck plus a few other smart choices in what you write will position you best. The ideal situation is: 1) Write popular fiction in a popular genre that you love. (look at the best sellers on Amazon, and you'll see what the most popular genres are. But don't say "oh, billionaire spanking romances sell, so despite that I have utter disdain for that subgenre, I'll try to cash in" because then what's the difference between writing as a job and some other job where you also hate what you do every day? At least you might have insurance at that job. ) 2) Write in series, as quickly as you can put out a readable and engaging product. Plan out three-book arcs, and if one series hits, either expand it beyond three or do a spinoff/related series.

Do spend a bit of money on decent covers that look every bit as good as trade-published overs. Find cover artists you like, and shop their sales. I have found great-looking covers for $10 and $15. Spend a number of hours on your product description, making it impossible for readers to not want to click on that book. Get decent proofreading for your book, whether that's four other writers who'll trade you for your proofreading theirs (or a writer, a librarian, a retired English teacher, and the smartest person you know) or spend on a pro proofreader. (But not too much. Decent ones can be had for a few hundred dollars.)

And then send the book out into the world and get back to writing your next.

Don't worry about advertising until you have a complete series or something like five or six books. It's just a waste of time and money until then. Don't worry about reviews and ARCs.

Don't worry about the various promotional theories either, whether pay per click ads are better or worse than other ads, whether Instagram is necessary or Reddit, or any of that. Just write the books as fast as you can, put them up, and hope for the best. I wouldn't spend more than a few weeks out of every year trying to catch up on what the S-P community is saying now about promotions, and I wouldn't try everything I heard about (or even 10% of what I heard about.) Other people will wander into ethically gray areas, but you don't have to. Other people will understand business better than they understand story-telling, but you can focus on telling your stories. You needn't be intimidated by the super-clever advertisers and near-scammers who do well. Let them live their lives and you live yours.

Don't worry about beta readers and editing twenty times. Readers don't care as much as critique circles convince us they do about perfection or adverbs or the perfect metaphor. And one critique is only that. Maybe everyone else in the English-speaking world but that one person would love the book as you wrote it! Write it, get it proofread, and get it out there.

Don't pay anyone for a course on their magical system. Maybe pay $3 for an ebook like Gaughran's Let's Get Digital at most. Good advice is out there for free. Bad advice often costs money.

If I'm correct and luck is at least half of the "secret," then the more books you write, the more series you produce, the more chances you have to get lucky. If you can write quickly and end up with a page-turner, you've won half the battle already. If you can write so quickly you can put out three or four books every year in two different genres under two pen names, then you really increase your chances, but few people can crank them out at that rate.

So if I have a formula, it's write popular novels that you'd love to read, have a great time doing it, focus on story and character more than on poetic language or crossing off every adverb, write a lot of books, and be stubborn/persevere. Remember, there's 25 years of my not being a FT writer prior to my almost 5 years of being one. Sticking with it maximized my chance to have the luck fairy sprinkle her dust on me.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your original post, and for this followup especially. I've just stuck my toe into self-publishing, re-issuing the first book of a fantasy series I'd started putting out via a small trade publisher - which tanked last year. A couple of my fellow authors at said failed publisher have also self-published, and gone heavily down the advertising/promo/free book giveaways/review exchange groups/Amazon algorithm-gaming road. I look at what they're doing and my mind boggles. All I want to do is get my books back out as quickly as my pocketbook will allow, and keep writing so I can finish out the series and maybe start another. You've given me hope that I can focus on the latter goal without using up every spare minute (and dollar) doing marketing and promo.

Last edited:

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the response, Lorna! All of that makes sense and resonates. If I ever take the plunge, I’d much rather focus on putting a lot of books out there and making them good/professional enough to retain readers than on anything promo-related. Experimenting with different subgenres to see what works could be fun.

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I’m drowning in emails from promotional sites and bookbub this and book funnel that. It is very easy to stop writing and feel you are doing something because you are “promoting”. Note to self - Write more. Write more. Write more.

JoB42

Registered
Reaction score
Great post. It's wonderful to hear about someone doing well, and I'm happy for your success. Thank you, and congratulations!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lorna, thanks for taking the time to share your experience and give the rest of us toiling away some much needed hope.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the nice comments. And here I thought I was being stern and not particularly positive...lol. I'm glad it gave y'all hope, though. There's every reason for hope.

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
I recently saw a breakdown of the most successful self publishers and romance dominated the chart by a large margin. Just wondering how much you would attribute genre to the success of a self published author?

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I recently saw a breakdown of the most successful self publishers and romance dominated the chart by a large margin. Just wondering how much you would attribute genre to the success of a self published author?

Not quite necessary (but close) and definitely not sufficient. Science Fiction is also good. Mystery is good--legal thrillers and cozies are both big, and two of the top 20 earners (earning well over a million US per year each) were cozy writers the last time I looked. What I mean by "not sufficient" is there are also a lot of cozy writers and romance writers and legal thriller writers who aren't making a thousand a year. I've never seen a top 50 list that includes someone doing lit fic or straight westerns. So it's necessary to be in a top category to be a millionaire, but to be earning on the order of $25K US/year, it's possible to be in other than the top several sub-categories.

It's much more important how many books you have out. Nearly every top earner has 25+ books out. Several have over 100 books out (some of those books are surely ghostwritten.)