PDA

View Full Version : Portland (OR) Central Precinct Detectives

anthonyfrench
05-09-2019, 05:13 PM
I'm looking for information about the 'daily operations' of the subject...how many, what hours, who's in command, what their office looks like, and like that.

PorterStarrByrd
05-09-2019, 05:22 PM
I'm wondering if a visit to a comaprable police office near you and a ride-a'long or two might give you most of what you need to know. I lived near Portland for for years and couldn't begin to describe what you are asking for. In current times I doubt any detail of what they do would be beneficial. They are not noted for doing anything different than other agencies so you'd be best to a use a common sense generic approach to what you are wrting. As with any good writing relying what you have seen and know makes your work better and rather than sencond hand info it might be a good idea to do some good old fashioned shoeleather research.

Siri Kirpal
05-09-2019, 09:32 PM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I couldn't tell you either. You might check their website and see if there's a place to ask questions. Otherwise you should do what Porter suggests.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

TheListener
05-09-2019, 11:29 PM
Call them. I know Washington County does ride alongs and you can shadow at the county jail. I am sure Portland does the same thing. Worth a try. See if they have a website with any info.

anthonyfrench
05-10-2019, 05:16 PM
Call them. I know Washington County does ride alongs and you can shadow at the county jail. I am sure Portland does the same thing. Worth a try. See if they have a website with any info.

Listener, Porter, Siri.....I appreciate your efforts to be helpful, but fact is I have already tried the things you suggest (phone, email, website) and got nowhere. That's why I chose to come here and ask the question. Well, back to the drawing board.

PorterStarrByrd
05-10-2019, 05:36 PM
Don't know how it would would work for you but I have had luck (elsewhere than Portland) by just talking to a patrol officer who is stopped in his car somewhere in connecting for ride-alongs.

TheListener
05-10-2019, 07:03 PM
Listener, Porter, Siri.....I appreciate your efforts to be helpful, but fact is I have already tried the things you suggest (phone, email, website) and got nowhere. That's why I chose to come here and ask the question. Well, back to the drawing board.

Try filling this out. Send it in and see if the officer you ride with can't answer some of your questions. I would think that all officers at some point come in contact with the detectives and know what their offices look like and other stuff. Good luck.

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/41803

Al X.
05-11-2019, 06:50 PM
They might not want people to have very detailed information on how they operate internally.

ironmikezero
05-12-2019, 01:08 AM
Contact the mayor's office; speak to the public information officer (or equivalent). Explain that you're a writer, working on a fiction(?) piece and want to get relevant details reasonably accurate, but don't want to tread on classified/confidential material. That office will have a vested interest in having the city and its departments depicted in the most favorable light. Be personable and polite -- it never hurts.

WeaselFire
05-13-2019, 05:55 AM
Portland Police Public Information Office: ppbpio@portlandoregon.gov

Though you could have found that on their web site, I did.

Jeff