Back up of cell phone video

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
Hi all. I'm relatively cellphone challenged so please advise me. If someone takes a video on their phone, does it immediately get backed up in their cloud? If someone got ahold of the phone, they could delete the video and access the cloud, then delete it there too, right?
The cell owner could also send the video by text or email. If the file is too big, though, they couldn't. Is the limit on size of files more restrictive for text than email, typically?
Is there another way the character could back up the video in a very short and hectic period of time that I'm not thinking of?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm relatively cellphone challenged so please advise me. If someone takes a video on their phone, does it immediately get backed up in their cloud? If someone got ahold of the phone, they could delete the video and access the cloud, then delete it there too, right?
The cell owner could also send the video by text or email. If the file is too big, though, they couldn't. Is the limit on size of files more restrictive for text than email, typically?
Is there another way the character could back up the video in a very short and hectic period of time that I'm not thinking of?

A lot of this depends on how the person set up his or her phone, mostly.

If you set it up to back up to cloud storage it will. Same with the deletions -- depends on the phone/settings. Mine will delete locally but ask if I want to delete off the cloud as well, and it also keeps deleted stuff for some period in case you change your mind. Some probably delete globally, but may also keep the backup... and how much you can customize these options probably also depends on the phone.

I haven't found it restrictive on text. I can txt a like, minute+ video no problem. I can also email it, but that sometimes wants me to email from and to cloud access. That probably depends on the mail client.

If it's set to back up to the cloud, limit cloud access from the phone. I have to enter my password again to get into it from my phone.

If you want something saved quickly, I'd email or txt it or upload it to social media.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sure -- maybe the person isn't in a place with great service, or they're on 1G or something and it's taking forever to transmit.

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
You can get pen drives that plug directly into phones for making backups. By using the downloadable app, you can backup the phone and it’s content pretty quickly.

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
Related question:
If a phone is smashed, and the SD card comes out, would it be possible to recover a video from the card if the card was damaged? Would it have to be intact?

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the level of damage, but there are companies that offer data recovery services for damaged cards - a quick google search will return lots of examples.

For lesser damage there are software tools that you can use to recover data - with varying levels of success

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Also worth mentioning that iPhones do not have any sort of SD or even a microSD card, so you'd have to be on a platform like Android or Huawei to even use that sort of scenario.

As to recovering data from media cards, those things are pretty robust. I've had them go through the wash, get run over by cars, etc. and still had no problem with data integrity, and like others have said, recovery is quite feasible.