Licenses to use Fonts

stardustx

Dreaming about fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I want to self-publish a book as a paperback print version. There are different types of licenses to use fonts. I know there are specific licenses for using fonts in ebooks. And I've seen commercial licenses from individual font designers. But when it comes to buying a premier font, like Bembo or Garamond, the website (fonts.com or myfonts.com) have licenses for ebooks, for web use, for desktop use. But there is no specific license for use in a self published book. What type of license do I need to purchase in order to legally use a font as the main text in a book? Is that considered part of the desktop license? I'm having trouble understanding this because it's all so confusing.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
There are sites that offer free commercial use, which I would think, includes use in print books. Google "Free commercial use of (your font choice).

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I want to self-publish a book as a paperback print version. There are different types of licenses to use fonts. I know there are specific licenses for using fonts in ebooks. And I've seen commercial licenses from individual font designers. But when it comes to buying a premier font, like Bembo or Garamond, the website (fonts.com or myfonts.com) have licenses for ebooks, for web use, for desktop use. But there is no specific license for use in a self published book. What type of license do I need to purchase in order to legally use a font as the main text in a book? Is that considered part of the desktop license? I'm having trouble understanding this because it's all so confusing.

If you're self-publishing an ebook, unless it's a very special book (say, with chemical or mathematical formulas, or non-Roman writing systems like Chinese or Hebrew) or you are publishing solely in .PDF, don't license a font.

You have no control of the typeface the user will use when they read the ebook; that's controlled by the user and the device/os/platform.

While it is possible to license and embed a font, for ordinary fiction it's not worth it, and your user can still change the type.

Use one of the standard typefaces.

For print, you need to own the font legally; depending on the specific typeface, you may need to pay an additional fee to use in a printed book. In general, if you're not a professional typesetter or working with one, I'd suggest not doing this. There are free fonts; they may not be full typefaces, they may not have all the data needed to print on POD printers, and it's a potential PITA.

I'd use one of the standard book faces for inside the book.

Last edited:

Margrave86

Registered
Reaction score
Go to Google Fonts, find a nice-looking font with an Open Font License, and use it to your hearts' content. The license explicitly allows commercial use and eBook embedding/bundling at no cost. Amazon themselves, in their Kindle Create app, use an open font ("Exo") if you select the sci-fi theme.

That said, for fancy fonts I'd recommend only using it for things like chapter headings. As AWAdmin said, users are going to want to change the prose font themselves.

Last edited: