All Right v. Alright

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
According to Merriam-Webster, they're both valid, though "alright" gets some hate mail. I need to use one of 'em in dialogue. As it's a spelling issue not a grammar issue, I'd prefer to make the "correct" choice, but I'm looking at "all right" and it feels too long. Somehow, "alright" seems to fit better.

What's the current concensus on this issue?

Thanks

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
In dialogue, "alright" would seem to work. The proper form is "all right." I say this with the utmost trepidation, as I'm not an expert, so you may want to wait for a more expert opinion.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
"All right" is the preferred form.

While there's a lot of leeway for informality in dialogue, I wouldn't simply spell something with the less-preferred spelling if it sounds the same either way, which these two do.

Breaking rules in dialogue is more often reserved for colloquial grammar or pronunciation (if you absolutely have to do dialect) than spelling. If someone uses informal or outright wrong grammar while speaking, it says something about his/her character, but if the author, in essence, transcribes his/her words wrong (or at least in the less acceptable version), it doesn't say anything about the character.

Of course, if the character wrote a note to someone and used "alright" (or something that was more blatantly incorrect usage or spelling), it might say something about his character.

JD

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Silver King said:
In dialogue, "alright" would seem to work. The proper form is "all right." I say this with the utmost trepidation, as I'm not an expert, so you may want to wait for a more expert opinion.
According to Bryan Garner's Dictionary of Modern American Usage, "alright" may be becoming accepted in British English, but not in American.

Personally, I am not at all sure why "alright" should be any less acceptible than "already." But it is.

FWIW, I edited a fiction anthology that had a lot of dialect (very well done, I thought). I made sure that the usage throughout was "alright" because the more informal tone was appropriate for the dialogue. (Others might disagree, I grant you.) Had the characters been, say, well-educated middle-class suburbanites, then "alright" would not have worked.

--Ken

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
ResearchGuy said:
FWIW, I edited a fiction anthology that had a lot of dialect (very well done, I thought). I made sure that the usage throughout was "alright" because the more informal tone was appropriate for the dialogue. (Others might disagree, I grant you.) Had the characters been, say, well-educated middle-class suburbanites, then "alright" would not have worked.

--Ken

I find it interesting that the class of speaker makes a difference to the spelling of the word. Suppose you had a well-educated middle-class suburbanite having a discussion with a highschool dropout? Would one say "all right" and the other "alright"?

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Sandi LeFaucheur said:
I find it interesting that the class of speaker makes a difference to the spelling of the word. Suppose you had a well-educated middle-class suburbanite having a discussion with a highschool dropout? Would one say "all right" and the other "alright"?
Good question. I'd say you have just provided an argument for always using only the preferred spelling, "all right." But then ... the dropout might say "whatever," rendering the issue moot.
icon12.gif

In the case I alluded to, I did not have to face that dilemma. In that particular context, the formal correctness of "all right" seemed to me to draw attention to itself, suggesting a distinctness of enunciation that did not fit--and the characters were of similar background. (The author agreed with my reasoning, by the way.)

Another person editing the dialogue might well have made the other choice: "all right." Who knows ... if I revisit the manuscript, I might reconsider the choice.

--Ken

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
ResearchGuy said:
Personally, I am not at all sure why "alright" should be any less acceptible than "already."
Well, "already" doesn't mean "all ready." That's the difference I see. But I may be alwrong.

Count me among those who disagree with using the spelling "alright" because a less educated character would say it that way. Everyone says it the same way. One doesn't insert misspellings in dialogue just because the character speaking is a poor speller. (We don't usually know how well a character spells.) For a dyslexic speaker, one doesn't transpose letters in words.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a rock'n'roll argument!

Tkaa_cover_the_who.jpg

Free-All-Right-Now-320421.jpg

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
ResearchGuy said:
Personally, I am not at all sure why "alright" should be any less acceptible than "already." But it is.

--Ken

For the same reason that "alryght" is less acceptable. "Alright" may be "accepted" as a non-standard word, but it isn't a word. "Non-standard" means "This isn't a word, but semi-literate people think it is, so we're including it."

And ask yourself this. How in God's name does anyone know which you're saying? They're pronounced the same way. When two spellings are pronounced the same way, the rule is to use the correct spelling.

It might be fine to have a character write "alright" to show his lack of education, but in dialogue the sound is the same, and it shows the writer's ignorance, rather than the character's.

Most editors will simply insert the correct spelling, but it is one of those things that can make an editor drink a healthy shot of Maalox, follow that with an unhealthy shot of whiskey, and call it a day.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
See yesterday's (7/2/06) NYTimes Magazine

The New York Times Magazine, Sunday, July 2, 2006, has a one-page article on alright vs all right, focusing on use of "alright" in song lyrics.

Read the article. There is too much detail to repeat here.

However, among the important points is that "alright" is becoming a word in its own right:

--to mean superb, outstanding, excellent
--to serve as an intensifier ("he was angry, alright")
--to serve as an attention-getter ("Alright, hands on top of your heads!"), roughly equivalent to "Hey!"

"Alright" has been explicitly distinguished in some lyrics from "all right," the latter having a meaning closer to "ok."

In any event, it would seem odd and arbitrary for someone to stop reading a manuscript on encountering "alright" without examining and considering the context (or, for that matter, considering it a routine copyediting question).

--Ken

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
reph said:
Well, "already" doesn't mean "all ready." That's the difference I see. But I may be alwrong....
By the same token, "all right" does not usually mean "all [is] right." It more often means "ok," "acceptable," or is simply an interjection. "All right, let's get moving now."

Some will find this of interest, from the usage note to "all right" in the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language:

"All right, usually pronounced as if it were a single word, probably should have followed the same orthographic development as already and altogether. But despite its use by a number of reputable authors, the spelling alright has never been accepted as a standard variant, and the writer who chooses to risk that spelling had best be confident that readers will acknowledge it as a token of willful unconventionality rather than as a mark of ignorance."

The NY Times Magazine article I alluded to before suggests that alright is moving toward acceptance as a distinct word. (Recall that usage expert Bryan Garner observed that "alright" may be becoming accepted in British English.)

I wonder whether eventually "all right" will draw a distinction from "alright" comparable to the distinction now drawn between "all together" and "altogether" (see entry in American Heritage Dictionary). One might likewise note the difference between "all ready" and "already."

--Ken

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
reph said:
Count me among those who disagree with using the spelling "alright" because a less educated character would say it that way. Everyone says it the same way. One doesn't insert misspellings in dialogue just because the character speaking is a poor speller. (We don't usually know how well a character spells.)

That's an excellent point, Reph, and one which I hadn't considered in a previous reply. Based on your observation, it really doesn't make any sense at all to use "alright," even in dialogue.

I love the Grammar Forum. It's such a valuable resource. Our language is complicated, and we're fortunate to have a place where its mysteries are unraveled by members who offer thoughtful illustrations anyone can understand.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Shadow_Ferret said:
My two cents: I always heard you never use alright because you would never use alwrong.
By that token, you would not use already because you would never use alunready, and you would not use altogether (which is derived from all + together) because you would never use alapart.

--Ken

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Lord knows I don't want to have my entire novel cast into the abyss because "alright" appears on page 132.

However, I think certain replies regarding an author's "ignorance" and ability to spell were unnecessary. I looked the words up in the dictionary and subsequently came here for some advice. It was a reasonable question. My point was that one word had a more fluid feel than two, but I wanted to pick the preferred spelling.

Deleted member 42

Alright is eeevill, hideous and aberrant.

I don't like it. Neither does the Blessed American Heritage Dictionary:

USAGE NOTE: Despite the appearance of the form alright in works of such well-known writers as Langston Hughes and James Joyce, the single word spelling has never been accepted as standard. This is peculiar, since similar fusions such as already and altogether have never raised any objections. The difference may lie in the fact that already and altogether became single words back in the Middle Ages, whereas alright has only been around for a little more than a century and was called out by language critics as a misspelling. Consequently, one who uses alright, especially in formal writing, runs the risk that readers may view it as an error or as the willful breaking of convention.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Merriam-Webster:
Main Entry: al·right
Pronunciation: (")ol-'rIt, 'ol-"
Function: adverb or adjective
: ALL RIGHT
usage The one-word spelling alright appeared some 75 years after all right itself had reappeared from a 400-year-long absence. Since the early 20th century some critics have insisted alright is wrong, but it has its defenders and its users. It is less frequent than all right but remains in common use especially in journalistic and business publications. It is quite common in fictional dialogue, and is used occasionally in other writing <the first two years of medical school were alright -- Gertrude Stein>.

Forgive me for considering such an atrocious word after reading the above. Clearly, I should have disregarded "alright" as the work of the devil.

Deleted member 42

And my other objection is one that only another medievalist would care about:

In Middle English alright/alriht is an adverb and means "just, exactly." It is distinct from all right or allright.

Don't make me quote Fowler . . .

RedMolly

My beat is correct
Registered
Reaction score
Just 'cause you feel it doesn't mean it's there
Aaron Britt wrote an awesome column (subbing for William Safire) on the usage of "alright" in the NYT magazine this last Sunday (7/2/06). As he describes it, "alright" carries a completely different connotation than "all right," and its grammatically acceptable usage is pretty much confined to rock'n'roll songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.