Spanish speaker advice please regarding name

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
My current WIP is a complex crime thriller which involves a Mexican cartel. Rather than use a real cartel name (and risk upsetting someone! :flag:), I have decided to use a fictional one.

The name I have used is Caballero Oscuro which I believe translates to "Dark Knight", is this an accurate translation and would the plural be: El Caballeros Oscuro? Would a group/gang of people refer to themselves as the plural or the singular?

Many thanks!

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Can't help with everything, but Spanish uses plural articles and adjectives, so the plural would be "Los Caballeros Oscuros." The translation is technically accurate, but I don't know if there's a better idiomatic translation.

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
Not a native speaker, either. Kat M picked up on the need for a plural article and a plural adjective. (Gotta match the gender and number of your noun.)

If I was putting together something like that, I might shortlist Los Caballeros Fantomáticos.

Oscuro is a good word-- it has connotations that can be used for lack-of-light, for dark in color, or for dishonest practices. Fantomático is more of an emphasis of the mysterious aspects of "dark".

A native speaker would be able to say something more definite-- but since one hasn't popped by, I thought I'd throw in my input.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a native Spanish speaker from Spain (not Latin America), and a translator. I've never heard the word fantomatico, and the dictionary says it's Italian.

Oscuro, as someone said above, has good connotations of being dark and shady.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Also, fantomatico conjures up phantoms or ghosts, which in Spanish are ​fantasmas.

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
I looked for a dictionary with a Word Frequency chart... it doesn't look like fantomático is in common usage... 1918, 1943, 1975...

I suppose it's a little like running across "chersonese" or "hirquiticke" in the wild. :) But I didn't realize it wasn't in common use.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One way to get around choosing a name in an unfamiliar language is to look at the current gang names, I don't believe Dark Knights is exactly the theme they use.

Here's a quick list from Wiki:
2.1 Beltrán-Leyva Cartel
2.2 La Familia Michoacana/Knights Templar Cartel
2.3 Gulf Cartel
2.4 Juárez Cartel
2.5 Sinaloa Cartel
2.6 Tijuana Cartel
2.7 Los Zetas
2.8 Gulf Cartel
2.9 Juárez Cartel
2.10 Los Zetas

Except for the odd men out, Knights Templar and Los Zetas, the names are mostly places. Are you using a fictional city or state? Michoacán is taken but how about one of the other states or even a place like the Palanque Cartel.

I don't see Yucatán on the list. Uxmal is another one, pronounced ush-mal.

List of Mexican states

Dark knights is fitting but place names are more true to actual cartels.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone - some really useful information here.

MaeZe - I actually have two cartels in my story, the other is called the "Mendoza cartel" and I wanted to use a name that sounded completely different so there was no confusion. I also didn't want to name the cartel after a real place (that doesn't have a cartel) as that seemed a little insulting!

I went for Caballero Oscuro for the similarity to Knight's Templar. Los Zetas are members of an ex-special forces unit and again, didn't want to be too close to a real cartel. Thank you for your suggestion though.