Celebrating my first bad review

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got my first bad book review and it's a doozy.

rundontwalkaway.jpg

As a shamelessly self-published author, I'm tickled that they think a publisher was involved. My goal is that my books are indistinguishable from trade paperbacks (or traditionally published Kindle books) in quality across the board, so that's actually a compliment. I also love the assertion that think I'm Vonnegut because lol what?

I've never worried much about reviews good or bad, as I took Brene Brown's advice to separate my work from myself and not take criticism or praise personally. But my readership was low enough that all reviews for both books had been 4.5-5 stars. I'd always wondered how that first terrible review would feel. Turns out it feels pretty great.

I'm calling this one a win!

If you have a favorite bad review of your work, please share it here.

(And yes, I already know to never respond to reviews good or bad.)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got mine in a Q&A forum when I attempt to help other writers.

"The worst....
In one of the novels I hated the most the content was fine and I liked exploring it but the execution of the author was just plain BAD.
It was an M/M romance by someone called “Mary Blackburn” or something sorry can't remember if that's correct. My gay friend gave it to me after reading it, he also disliked it. I looked it up after and none of the reviews were very good either. Most were from people who had been given a free copy for an “honest” review and even they didn't seem obligated to be nice. It was like reading something that had been self published. It went in the bin."

None of my published novels were M/M romance, so this was more like a personal attack than a review. I'm more concerned about this person connecting my user name there with my pen name.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's weirdly passionate, given that the reviewer only read 20 pages.

For what it's worth, I liked what I read via the Amazon "Look Inside" feature. So I bought it.

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I liked what I read via the Amazon "Look Inside" feature. So I bought it.

I know, right? The "Look Inside" pulled me in. Cha-ching, one-click.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
None of my published novels were M/M romance, so this was more like a personal attack than a review. I'm more concerned about this person connecting my user name there with my pen name.
So weird that they claimed it was M/M romance if it wasn't. Were they the type of person to think there's any shame in that?

- - - Updated - - -

I know, right? The "Look Inside" pulled me in. Cha-ching, one-click.
Oh, my heart! Gracias.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard one star reviews have a reverse psychology effect for other potential readers.

If I am contemplating buying a book I read the first few pages and weigh up the quality of the prose. I seldom pay attention to reviews.

At least the reviewer cared enough to expend time and energy to post a review. I don't understand the urge, but there you go.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:
Wow, that’s harsh and plain untrue. I did the whole look inside thing and loved it. While I don’t have bad reviews to share right now, give me a few months. I’ll be self publishing late this summer. I hope I handle it as well as you.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Gracious. Everyone's entitled to an opinion of course, but I vehemently disagree with this person. I loved the book. Bought, devoured, bought another copy for a friend.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:
Wow, that’s harsh and plain untrue. I did the whole look inside thing and loved it. While I don’t have bad reviews to share right now, give me a few months. I’ll be self publishing late this summer. I hope I handle it as well as you.
You will! It's a rite of passage.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a favorite bad review of your work, please share it here.

Ooh ooh, I have one! This was from my stint writing a column on Hindi movies in an (English language) Indian news magazine. As a non-Indian writing about Indian movies, I've always taken my share of accusations of ignorance (often fairly leveled, sometimes not). And when you're writing critically about anything as emotional as the movies and people's cherished superstars, you are bound to ruffle some feathers. So a few years back I wrote a column about an actor named Rajesh Khanna, whose heyday was in the 60s and 70s; he was beloved by many, but I had a hard time warming to him, and the column was a very personal account of my attempt to understand and appreciate his appeal. I knew I was risking stepping in it when I wrote this column. And here's a letter that was sent to my editor upon its publication:

"Dear Sir,

One can have one's own opinion but most certainly one can't have an ignorant person writing on our Hindi film industry. The lady Carla(i presume a lady) it is very evident that does not know head or tail of Bollywood. In this Hindi film industry of ours We have Superstars , Megastars , a King Khan , a Badshah Khan , a BigB, a Shehanshah & a Star of the millenium but there was , is & always will be only one God -Rajesh Khanna . No other star had such a massive impact on the country on the whole he evoked devotion whereas all others evoked passion. This lady Carla apparently is preposterous & i would request you not to have someone who is so ignorant of this biggest truth. Kindly engage people who have excellent knowledge of what they write. May i request you to also forward this to Carla.

Best Regards,

[redacted]"

I have to say that I've gotten good mileage from "apparently is preposterous" and "the preposterous Lady Carla" since then.

Last edited:

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I remember my first "one star" review. The best part about it was less than an day after it was posted, I got a call from one of my older cousins and the first question she had for me was "Rich, did you used to date that girl back in college?"

I still chuckle about that reaction from my cousin 15 years later.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lakey: You really gored his preposterous ox!

Richard White: Lovely to think of a college ex still burning with resentment. That's staying power.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember if it was my first one star, but it was a doozy too. She was a reviewer and had reviews on her blog. All of them were just a few paragraphs except for mine. Mine was like the whole entire page. She went into lengthy detail of how much she hated it, saying she could write better. I was just amazed and strangely delighted she took so much time and energy to write so so much and really analyze my book so deeply. It was pretty neat in a way.

I always look at my one stars as that you read it, or attempted to read it and I really appreciate that immensely. And I think that's the most important thing is that someone took the time to try the book out.

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Of course people are entitled to say what they want about books, and I've certainly disliked plenty and said so at book groups/in passing conversation, but that review seems overly harsh. I can't imagine writing something so mean-spirited! Especially after 20 pages! If I ever get a book out there I'm going to have to force myself to not look at reviews, I would not take that well :rant: I think I'm more annoyed about this review than you are!

babbage

Registered
Reaction score
Gotta say that Smokin' and Cryin' has an AMAZING cover. The cover alone screams traditionally published, and readers play weird expectation games sometimes when they don't know something isn't traditionally published.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Lakey: You really gored his preposterous ox!

Richard White: Lovely to think of a college ex still burning with resentment. That's staying power.

I hadn't read the review, just noted it was there. However, according to my cousin, the critique was so "at me", she wondered if it was someone who knew me. I have no idea and really don't care, but I found my cousin's reaction worth the price of the bad review.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gotta say that Smokin' and Cryin' has an AMAZING cover. The cover alone screams traditionally published, and readers play weird expectation games sometimes when they don't know something isn't traditionally published.
Thank you! I hired an artist who'd recently graduated from art school to do it. I told her my vision was for it to look like a '70s concert poster. I then sent her my manuscript and my Pinterest inspiration board for the project. The resulting cover is all her, minus a couple of very minor suggested tweaks. It was her first book cover, and first attempt, and I couldn't be happier with it.

babbage

Registered
Reaction score
That's wonderful. Have you had any luck getting it reviewed by book bloggers? They helped me out immensely.

Thank you! I hired an artist who'd recently graduated from art school to do it. I told her my vision was for it to look like a '70s concert poster. I then sent her my manuscript and my Pinterest inspiration board for the project. The resulting cover is all her, minus a couple of very minor suggested tweaks. It was her first book cover, and first attempt, and I couldn't be happier with it.

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
That's wonderful. Have you had any luck getting it reviewed by book bloggers? They helped me out immensely.

Could you share a little more about how you found bloggers who were a good fit for reviewing your book? And who were not totally backed up with requests?

babbage

Registered
Reaction score
Sandree, I took a pragmatic approach. I made a spreadsheet with about 100 book blogs that I researched in Google, and I wrote letters to each of them. It wasn't easy, but I got some very good reviews, some mediocre ones, and a few not so good ones. This was six years ago, however; I don't know if book bloggers have as much pull on readers now as they did then (I know I visit them less and less, since I spend so much time on Goodreads).

I think to make it work, you have to ask for reviews in a similar way you would query agents. Respect the blogger, make sure your book is a good fit, and be patient.

Could you share a little more about how you found bloggers who were a good fit for reviewing your book? And who were not totally backed up with requests?

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sandree, I took a pragmatic approach. I made a spreadsheet with about 100 book blogs that I researched in Google, and I wrote letters to each of them. It wasn't easy, but I got some very good reviews, some mediocre ones, and a few not so good ones. This was six years ago, however; I don't know if book bloggers have as much pull on readers now as they did then (I know I visit them less and less, since I spend so much time on Goodreads).

I think to make it work, you have to ask for reviews in a similar way you would query agents. Respect the blogger, make sure your book is a good fit, and be patient.
I wrote to a dozen, got one "too busy" and the rest no response at all.

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
I started researching and the first dozen that looked appropriate had notices saying they were no longer accepting requests. I think it is just a sign of how saturated the market is.