Les Miserables (on Masterpiece)...

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Read the book in Jr. High (a thousand years ago), and fell in love with Jean Valjean...

Hubby (surprised me) and took me to see a live production of it for our anniversary (500 years ago) - Best gift EVAH!

Watched several versions of it on TV - (off and on, for the last few years)...

I still LURVE it to pieces!!! :heart:

I never get tired of it (as well as Wuthering Heights and The Godfather) - Will always stop and watch (if only for a few minutes) whenever I notice that it's airing on TV...

Anyone else watching? :hi:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen it on stage twice, and am watching the Masterpiece version. I don't miss the singing (although I liked the musical version on stage) and enjoy the greater depth of story. Dominic West is excellent.

I'm also liking that the couple keeping Collette is not painted as comedic but as horrible, money-grubbing people who think nothing of harming others. Their greed isn't played for laughs.

I've seen the musical movie from 2012 and barely remember it. Do I want to see it again after the Masterpiece version is complete?

And most of all, having never read the book, I like seeing scenes I didn't know existed. The hair-and-teeth scene from this week? Marvelous.

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
Les Mis (book and musical) have gotten me closer to a religious experience than probably any other works I’ve encountered in my teen/adult life. There’s something so achingly beautiful and aspirational about Hugo’s vision for humanity and the transformative social power of love even in the midst of incredible tragedy and injustice. I cry at Valjean’s death scene and get shivers at the closing ensemble number almost every time.

I’d also probably credit Hugo for radicalizing me more than any other single fiction author. And more than Marx or most nonfiction writers too, if we’re being honest.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...I'm also liking that the couple keeping Collette is not painted as comedic but as horrible, money-grubbing people who think nothing of harming others. Their greed isn't played for laughs.
- I agree, and Olivia Colman is amazing (as usual).

… The hair-and-teeth scene from this week? Marvelous.
Indeed - Sad and so heartbreaking.