Preparation for Writer's Conference

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
(Saved from cache files, originally posted June 19)

Toni1953 wrote:

I'm not really sure what thread this question belongs on, so feel free to move it if I'm wrong :.)

I'll be attending the Backspace Writers conference in NYC next month; it's my very first one!

My question is, do we bring any materials with us? Partials, outlines of completed manuscripts? I'm bringing a notebook to take notes at the workshops but wondered if bringing along samples of work is necessary at such a function. can anyone tell me what to expect? Thanks.
I took the 2006 Rejection Pledge - 33/90

blackbird wrote:

It really depends on the type of writer's conference you are attending. Is it primarily workshop/critique, or panels featuring writers talking about their craft, or a combination of both?

Generally, if you've signed up for a workshop, it is the responsibility of your instructor to send out a letter or email to let all participants know what they should bring to the table. However, if you have no specific guidelines and do plan to participate in a workshop group, I would say bring no more than the first 25 pages (in sequence) of the project you would most like critiqued. (Your instructor may actually require less, but again, it's their responsibility to let you know this). It's always tempting to want to bring your best, most polished work to show, but then that sort of defeats the whole purpose of workshopping. It's best to bring something you LOVE but that you know is still a little rough around the edges.

On the other hand, however, if it is one of those conferences that will offer agent or editor consultaions--and you have signed up for such a consultation--you DO want to bring your best. But again, I would caution no more than 25 pages. (Generally, an agent or editor will ask to be sent copies in advance of the conference; however, this may not be true in every case).

If your conference is primarily panels (like the annual AWP conference) you need not bring any materials at all. Just be prepared to listen and, if you find it helpful, to take notes.

Most all writer's conferences, however, will offer some opportunity for open readings, so you may want to bring material to read (generally no more than about 5 pages of prose or 3 to 5 poems, as the time slots tend to be very short unless you are a featured reader). You may read from the same material you've brought to workshop, if you want. It's sometimes interesting to get a response from an oral reading of the piece as well as from your readers in workshop.

If you have a favorite author who is going to be attending, by all means bring books for signing! This is the ideal opportunity.

Lastly (and I say this from hard-earned experience, though it sounds like common sense) be aware of the weather, climate and environment of where your conference is, and pack accordingly. It's not much fun to be caught in the middle of a freezing Vancouver rain in March, with only a light shawl for warmth, or in the pitch dark of a Tomales Bay forest with no flashlight (this was a rural setting conference where we often had to hike between buildings and events at night). It's good to get all the info you need beforehand and to know what you may need to be fully prepared.

Conferences are a lot of fun. You will meet some great people, have an opportunity to network with famous writers and agents, and make friendsips that will last well beyond the conference. Hope any of this helps.
user_offline.gif
blackbird

Toni1953 wrote:
Very helpful, thanks. It looks to be mostly panels,but I will bring along a few materials to critique just in case :.)

dantem42 wrote:

Originally Posted by Toni1953
Very helpful, thanks. It looks to be mostly panels,but I will bring along a few materials to critique just in case :.)

Trust that as soon as you decide not to cart a partial around with you at the conference, you will be asked for it by one of your dream agents. Don't lug around full manuscripts, but you never know when the agent may give your partial a once-over the same night.

writermom wrote:
reputation_pos.gif

Make sure to bring an SASE to give with your partial. ;)

Siddow wrote:

I just looked at the site...envious that I'm not going. Absolutely bring a partial (or two, with synopses), practice a quick-pitch (a one-liner to describe your book), but don't throw them at anyone.

There's several agents in the line-up, but even if you haven't signed up for a pitch session with any of them, there's still the bar, lunch, the little crowds that gather after sessions. Be charming, don't talk about writing, they'll assume you're a writer and if you're nice enough, they'll ask you what you write and that's when you throw your one-liner out. "Well, I just finished a paranormal romance based on the Lady White Snake legend." (or whatever.) Get that line right and you'll get a "Wow. Give me/Send me a partial." Most of the agents I've met prefer that you send it to their office, but you never know when someone will ask, "Do you have a partial with you?"

Kristin Nelson will be there; if you're not a reader of her blog, head on over there. www.pubrants.blogspot.com. She's got many posts about conference behavior, and what she likes in books. I'd say, google the others in the lineup, and mark your target!

Kristen King wrote:

Have a great time at the conference. Jeff Kleinman and Kate Epstein are both lovely, so I'd encourage you to seek them out for a quick hello at one of the mixers or at least attend one of their sessions if you have the opportunity.

The readings may provide some opportunity for you to share your work, but in my experience at conferences like these most agents won't take anything more than a business card or a one-page query or synopsis because the volume would be prohibitive, so keep that in mind. Better to plan ahead, of couse, but also a good idea to pack light. :] Take a bajillion business cards and stow them somewhere that's easily accessible but won't result in their being bent or creased. Also plan on collecting as many business cards as possible.

I have a few articles on my blog (link in sig) about my experience at the Book Expo America Writer's Digest Conference that may contain some info of use to you if you feel so inclined. There are three or four in the May archives, should be close to the top.

Have fun! I hope you'll report back on your experiences after the fact.

Kristen

PO Box 7991 | Fredericksburg, VA 22404 | 540-220-2184
www.kristenkingfreelancing.com | www.editingforeveryone.com
www.inkthinker.blogspot.com