PDA

View Full Version : Best Star Trek Captain?

Diana Hignutt
04-16-2019, 02:59 PM
So, with Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery all but in the books, I pose the question, "Who is the best Star Trek Captain from TV (or movies)?"

Poll...

Introversion
04-16-2019, 03:20 PM
Jason Nesmith. Never give up, never surrender!

TheMontess
04-16-2019, 04:44 PM
Janeway! I'm potentially biased because Voyager is the only series I've seen all the way through, apart from Discovery. I think she did a really good job trying to maintain some sense of normality on the ship given everything they had to go through, and showed great valor in continuing with their mission even knowing she was unlikely to see it through to its end.

I have been fond of Pike in this series of Discovery, too.

cornflake
04-16-2019, 07:19 PM
There is only one captain of the Enterprise.

dpaterso
04-16-2019, 08:35 PM
I voted Captain Kirk. TOS Captain Kirk, that is. I would have appreciated separate actor options!

My close second would have been Captain Pike from The Cage.

-Derek

telford
04-17-2019, 09:51 AM
Kirk, TOS. Not too fond of Shatner but he did very well with good scripts.

ShaunHorton
04-17-2019, 01:15 PM
I think as far as captains go, it can only be Picard. Character-wise, he was the deepest in personality and back-story, although part of the reason for that is possibly his age. He had time to mature, reflect, and learn from his past. It also takes a certain kind of person to be able to reflect and mature like that though. He could be diplomatic, but he could also hold his own when challenged, both physically and intellectually.

I don't believe any version of Kirk had the ability to do that, no matter how old he might have lived to be. I'm not going to dispute Kirk's leadership or intelligence, but his character always had the aspect of a low-level adrenaline junkie and it commonly led him to take the more active choices over sitting down and discussing things diplomatically.

I'll admit I never really got into DS9, but that comes from the setting and characters. Sisko felt less like a captain, and more like a building superintendent, constantly settling disputes between neighbors, making sure visitors didn't vandalize the place, and making sure nobody just broke in and made themselves at home.

Janeway was good, and deep as a character, but as a captain, she was a character of extremes. She was usually either too rigid and by-the-book, or she was willing to do whatever it took to complete her mission, which included questionable alliances and actions. Granted, the situation she was trapped in with her ship and crew was one that was incomprehensible to 90% of people in the Federation, but extreme personalities like that generally don't inspire confidence and trust. If it wasn't for Chakotay being the voice of compromise and reason, it's doubtful that Voyager would have lasted more than its first year in the Delta quadrant.

Archer's tenure was very early in the history of the Federation, probably due to that, it felt like more often than not he was flying by the seat of his pants. He was a good leader, had diplomatic skills, and could get physical/tough when he needed to, but so much was still new and the limits of people, diplomacy, and technology just weren't known yet. If I was picking the second-best captain, Archer would probably be my choice. He did the best he could with what he knew and had, and it worked out.

Honestly, I haven't seen much of Discovery to make a real determination.

Same for Pike, while he has shown a lot of skill, knowledge, and diplomatic ability in the little time we've had with him; we really haven't gotten enough of him for me to be comfortable judging just how good of a captain he is. Though if we look at him from the newer movies, where he recruited Kirk because he thought Starfleet lost the attitude of "jump without looking", and his dismissive attitude of Chekhov when he first meets him doesn't bode particularly well.

lizmonster
04-17-2019, 02:28 PM
I voted Pike. Not because I've seen Discovery (I haven't), but because I'm still pissed at Abrams for killing off the character in the name of unearned pathos.

Diana Hignutt
04-17-2019, 03:15 PM
Kirk was great, but too hot-headed to be the best, imo.

Picard has it all, and is probably the best.

Sisko was solid.

Janeway triumphed in the face of great challenges.

Archer was fine, but I was getting serious ST overexposure when Enterprise was on.

Lorca I really dug, until that spoilery thing.

Pike was who I voted for. I always enjoyed the brief bit of Jeffrey Hunter's Pike we got. I always liked Bruce Greenwood's Pike in the Kelvin movies. But, Anson Mount's Pike in Season 2 of Discovery just hit all the right beats, made all the right decisions, and was super likable. I would love a pre-Kirk Enterprise series with Pike, Number 1, and Spock, but am thankful for the little taste of that we got from Discovery Season 2.

With more time to escape the bias of the recent, I probably would have/should have voted Picard...

babbage
04-17-2019, 05:25 PM
Yes! And how is Picard winning this poll????

I voted Captain Kirk. TOS Captain Kirk, that is. I would have appreciated separate actor options!

My close second would have been Captain Pike from The Cage.

-Derek

WrenWrites
04-17-2019, 06:11 PM
I grew up with Picard and Sisko and love them so much, but with recent developments on Discovery, I'm halfway tempted to vote for Pike. His arc has really spoken to me.

Kjbartolotta
04-17-2019, 08:04 PM
I'm genuinely not trying to be contrarian when I say Riker is my favorite Trek captain.

But if I WERE trying to be contrarian:

1) Janeway
2) Kirk
3) Sisko
4) Picard
5) And the Rest

:e2teeth:

pharm
04-22-2019, 09:40 PM
For me there’s a big gap between “my favorite captain as a fictional character” and “best captain as an actual captain in-universe.” Picard is a riot and will forever be my first fave, but he’s also a mercurial asshole prone to some incredibly rash decisionmaking on the basis of his temper and prejudices. So much of what’s great about that role is Patrick Stewart’s performance, injecting nuance and depth into an otherwise frequently shitty and inconsistently written character.

If you’re going to put me on a starship and ask who I’d trust at the helm, it’s Janeway or Pike by a mile over the rest. They’re the only two captains to demonstrate that balance of empathy, intelligence, self-awareness, and good instinct in tandem under even the most bizarre and/or morally confounding circumstances.

Though if Saru has finally been granted that permanent promotion, there’s a good chance he jumps to top of both lists.

Jason
04-30-2019, 10:29 PM
I don't see it as Picard winning over Kirk, I see it as Patrick Stewart being a better actor than William Shatner in their respective times as actors. Since then, Shatner has gotten better (really liked his character in Boston Legal for example...), but was the epitome of over-acting during his Trek days.

Bones...
I need...
More...POWER!

Okay Bill, learn a new method! :)

For the record, I met William Shatner when he did a few plays here in Denver as a kid at a park called Elitches, and he's a very laid back easy going guy (or at least he was at the time), so it's not that I don't like him, I just don't think he had the acting chops that Stewart had during their roles as Captains.

Curlz
04-30-2019, 10:38 PM
Young Kirk was so dashing :Jump:

talktidy
05-01-2019, 12:43 AM
I love Picard, but I think Patrick Stewart was better served by the quality of the scripts once Next Gen hit its stride.

Finally caught up with ST - Disco. Rewatched the episodes I had seen and made it through to the end of S2. I like the cast, but I think I am coming around to the notion that Burnham can be dropped off at the nearest class M planet, for I am all in for Anson Mount's Captain Pike. Oh man, that hair.

Diana Hignutt
05-01-2019, 04:24 PM
I love Picard, but I think Patrick Stewart was better served by the quality of the scripts once Next Gen hit its stride.

Finally caught up with ST - Disco. Rewatched the episodes I had seen and made it through to the end of S2. I like the cast, but I think I am coming around to the notion that Burnham can be dropped off at the nearest class M planet, for I am all in for Anson Mount's Captain Pike. Oh man, that hair.

Make sure to sign the Captain Pike Spin-Off Show Petition then:

https://www.change.org/p/star-trek-fans-cbs-give-us-a-pre-tos-star-trek-series-w-captain-pike-struggle-is-pointless