Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Heard from Scott. He doesn't have any more recent backups of the forum database.

This is it, kiddies.

I'm very sorry.

So, now tell me everything that needs fixing and I'll do it.

If you lost your benefactor status, tell me and I'll reinstate it. If you're a new-ish member who had reached Super Member status and got to upload a custom avatar but now can't, tell me and I'll manually pump up your post count so you can. If you can think of threads that are important from this last month, tell me and I'll go search the cache files on Google for them. Etc.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
*fixes Jenna a nice pina colada, and leads her to her lounge chair by the beach*

Everything will work out fine, and everybody understands. The only important thing is that we're up and running again. All else is secondary.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Whoops...just sent you a PM asking what would happen to newbies when Scott's backup got installed...guess it's a non-issue now. :( You can ignore that PM, obviously.

(And if you or a mod has time, you can delete the post I made in the "changes & announcements" folder asking that question too.)

And while I've got you, can I just say THANK YOU for getting on top of this so quickly and keeping us all updated. So very much appreciated! :)

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Um. I had about £50 sitting over in OP. Ah. It doesn't seem to be there now. It was sort of a note like thing. Between that thing, and the thing.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
*Hands Jenna more cookies and chocolate to go with her drink*

Don't stress. We have our home, we're fine! It's all good!

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
I've always thought of this place as sort of my extended family of writers. Now with the loss of a months worth of posts, it sort of feels like we've lost a couple of precious photo albums--negatives and all.:cry:

That's OK. We'll make more cyber moments aka Hallmark style :Hug2:

And the Chain of Haikus goes on and on and on . . .

Edited to add, I just noticed my previous avatar has returned. I'll take that as a sign that I need to keep my clothes on. I was probably getting too much sun out there on the beach in my bikini anyway.

Last edited:

rich

To all writers: we're not building pyramids here, we're building the ability to build pyramids.

Say that ten times fast.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
Jenna,
Some hindsight BS:
Find out what kind of server you have that would do what they have done without notifying you before they took action.

Make sure your Gurus and you all have the knowledge to safely accomplish a daily back up - - each one of them.

Make sure you have at least three, or more Gurus.

My advice is to leave things go until after the holidays, I don’t think the little things people lost can’t wait until afterwards. The only thing that really matters is, we’re home again.

There are people, businesses, and things out there that have lost much more than Absolute Write.

Get some sleep, eat something good and take time to have some fun.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well I was a bit startled, then a bit bummed - lost rep points, avatar, post count - which Jenna fixed (post count) thank so much. I'll go catch me another froggie tomorrow, I think I left him at work.

BUT - it's kinda like crying over losing photos in a house fire, then realizing everyone survived the house fire and THAT'S all that's important. AW is still here, the wonderful resource that it is. All the rest can be remade.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
And - if you can remember thread titles it is possible to get pages of them from the Goggle cache and re-post them. I just did that with some of the historical fiction threads. Puma

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Thanks so much, Puma! That's what I'm working on, too.

You all are very cool. We were (and are again) on a professional dedicated server, and it looks like the hosting company does backups only on the shared accounts-- which sounds pretty backwards to me, but whatever. It was a tremendous mistake on their part and they know it. I have no idea why the server was "reclaimed," but it was, and they've been working around the clock to help us put things back as best as possible.

It had taken Scott a long time to fix our adserver and storefront before, and to get the databases to not crash every hour... this time, the hosting company is working on that stuff, and giving us an extra hard drive for backups. I was under the mistaken impression that we were already doing regular backups.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to first say thanks to Jenna for how hard she is working, especially since it's a holiday weekend in America (happy 4th July folks).

Is there anyway to retrieve the cache through google from the share your work section? or because it's password protected, they don't cache those pages This may be a stupid question, but I'm not technically minded and I have tried, but to no luck.

Jed.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hi Jed,

Right. Not a stupid question, but unfortunately, that's part of the idea of the password protected forums-- we don't want Google to search them (usually). We won't find any of the Share Your Work stuff there. I'm sorry.

SC, yep, I know about this problem. I've asked the host to check it out.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Puma said:
And - if you can remember thread titles it is possible to get pages of them from the Goggle cache and re-post them. I just did that with some of the historical fiction threads. Puma

Have you figured out a way to post an entire thread at a time, Puma, or just one post after another, with the same poster appearing on each post. I did a couple that way on Romance, but if there's a way to grab a whole thread and post it, please let me know! :)

Rachael

**Engaged**
Registered
Reaction score
Website
girlsadvice.7.forumer.com
JennaGlatzer said:
We were (and are again) on a professional dedicated server, and it looks like the hosting company does backups only on the shared accounts-- which sounds pretty backwards to me, but whatever. It was a tremendous mistake on their part and they know it. I have no idea why the server was "reclaimed," but it was, and they've been working around the clock to help us put things back as best as possible.

I still say they should give you free hosting! ;)

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I really hope that you have been offered a discount. It is the least that the host company could do, given that this big screw up happened so early in the new customer-client relationship. That it happened at all!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
They've offered a free month. I'll hold my tongue on what I think of that.

But in the meantime, can you guys try changing your avatars and profile pics now? The host worked on it and thinks it's fixed, but I need someone to test it.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:

But in the meantime, can you guys try changing your avatars and profile pics now? The host worked on it and thinks it's fixed, but I need someone to test it.
One new kitty coming up.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:

It sort of works, Jenna, but it's done something weird to my face...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
poetinahat said:
It sort of works, Jenna, but it's done something weird to my face...
Yeah, but you're got a nice smile.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Worked just fine for me.

I have a avatar of my butt if anyone wants to see it.

(I didn't think so . . .)

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I had....

163 posts I think.

Not sure if it makes a difference in rank.

Status
Not open for further replies.