• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Baobab Press

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I see a grammatically incorrect title and they mark story length based on page count, not word count. A short story running from 125-250 pages?

They repeat this same paragraph a LOT throughout the website. It may just be poor design, but I am not filled with confidence. They list their staff, but I do not have the time to look everyone up.

Baobab Press believes in the importance of collaboration between author and publisher. We seek to establish long-term relationships with our authors, providing them with the support necessary to see their works of art reach their fullest potential and widest readership. Our goal is to facilitate growth, so that books resonate in the present day and will continue to be vital in the years to come.

When shopping a book, start with the biggest dogs on Publisher's Row and work your way down. Write a new book during the process. By the time you get to a small press like this, you might well have made a sale.

writera

Registered
Reaction score
I see a grammatically incorrect title and they mark story length based on page count, not word count. A short story running from 125-250 pages?

They repeat this same paragraph a LOT throughout the website. It may just be poor design, but I am not filled with confidence. They list their staff, but I do not have the time to look everyone up.

When shopping a book, start with the biggest dogs on Publisher's Row and work your way down. Write a new book during the process. By the time you get to a small press like this, you might well have made a sale.

Thank you for the input. I'm not familiar with Publisher's Row, but just had a look on the website. Is there a list on there of publishers who accept unsolicited submissions? I am shopping a novel without an agent, so that would be helpful if so. I've found most don't accept unsolicited submissions, though.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
If you are serious about commercial publication, get an agent. She knows which houses are looking for your kind of writing and can do simultaneous submissions, no problem.

To find the right agent, look up writers with work similar to yours and see who reps for them. Make sure the book and characters are such that an agent will fall in love with your words.

I wasted time on small presses back in the day, thinking it would be an easier sale. They have to be pickier, since they do not have the resources of a larger house.

These days they have hybrid presses and other variations, which usually means no advance, or a vanity that wants the writer to pay for stuff.

Publishers' Row refers to "The Big Five" - the major publishers who have books in your local stores.

It would be a good idea to hit the library's 808 section and read all you can find about the business side of publishing so you are not wasting time on dead ends.

As a writer, you are in charge of a small business: you. The more you know about publishing and how it works the better. It ain't "cheating" to pick up one of those "For Dummies" books and make yourself an expert over the course of a weekend! :)

Last edited: