More Amazon Qs

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
One more stupid question.

I want to upload my MS onto Amazon so I can have a preorder button on my website linking to Amazon. But the MS has to be formatted and won't be done for a few weeks. If I upload the Word doc, does Amazon let you delete and upload the Mobi version later?

Also, any way of getting preorder function on the paperback format?

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
It won't let you 'delete' your uploaded document, but yes you can upload a new version in a different supported format if you want. I do not know if KDP Print paperbacks can be preordered.

But, getting back to the Mobi version, if you don't have graphics or complex formatting issues, then you are better off sticking with the Word format, particularly given that you are also going to do a paperback, where you will need to produce a book formatted PDF for upload.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Why is it taking you so long to format your MS for Amazon?

There are templates available on KDP, so all you have to do is copy your MS and drop it into the template. After that, you set up the front matter, get the TOC right (chapters start on odd number pages), if you want something fancy for the chapter title you just modify the existing header in MS Word, and then you set up your back matter.

The first time I did this, it took me about a day, now it just takes a couple hours.

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, AI, veinglory, and indianroads

@Indianroads, It's not that it's taking me that long (though I still have copyediting to finish). I want to publish it in June. :)