Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Originally posted by caren1701

Now that school's out & I have my first college degree completed, I'm ready to concentrate on my two novels [who needs sleep, right? :)]. I keep seeing advice to seek out recently published first novels to see what's worked for those new authors. Sounds good to me. I'm always happy to find a new author, but am having a little trouble finding first novels in the Women's Fiction genre. Any suggestions will be very welcome. If they're edgy books with contemporary settings, so much the better.

Thanks and Happy Writing! :Sun:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Posted by IrishScribbler

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Disobedience by Jane Hamilton
The Awakening by Kate Chopin
Finding Alice by Melody Carlson (read recently--highly recommended, especially for high school/college age women)
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
The Mermaid's Chair by Sue Monk Kidd
My Antonia by Willa Cather
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

...I could go on and on....PM me if you want more titles.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Posted by Susan Gable

Quote:
Originally Posted by caren1701
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! :)

jbayley -- I feel ignorant asking this, but would you please tell me how to find NEXT? I tried Googling it, but didn't get any literary sites. A lot of good books have been recommended, but right now I'm trying to find first novels published in the last year, or two at the most.

NEXT is a line of books put out by Harlequin. Women's fiction because it's not all about a romance. :) Try Taking Back MaryEllen Black by Lisa Childs.

One of my favorite women's fiction pieces is Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons.

I also love Kristen Hannah's stuff. And Luanne Rice. Although Luanne Rice might be one of those that's sort of hard to define. Is it women's fiction or romance? Or does she walk the tightrope of both? (Commercial win-win there! <G>)

Susan G.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Posted by ruecole

NEXT books are usually shelved at the checkout in my local grocery store. I've yet to buy one--unfortunately my book buying budget is VERY limited--but the back covers I've read look like my kinda stories. Wonder if my library carries them yet? :D

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Posted by ruecole

BTW, I posted this in the Novel Writing forum, but thought I should cross post it since the other members in this forum might also enjoy these:

Good Grief - Lolly Winston
Riding Lessons - Sara Gruen

Quality of Care - Elizabeth Letts
Cover the Butter - Carrie Kabak
Confessions of Supermom - Melanie Lynne Hauser
The B!tch Posse - Martha O'Connor
And Only to Deceive - Tasha Alexander
Cheating at Solitaire - Ally Carter
gods in Alabama - Joshilyn Jackson
Bet Your Bottom Dollar - Karin Gillespie
Bread Alone - Judi Hendricks
Tending Roses - Lisa Wingate
Forgive the Moom - Maryanne Stahl

Hope this helps!

Rue

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Posted by Peggy

These aren't really recent, but they were first novels I enjoyed:

The Joy Luck Club - Amy Tan

Bridget Jones Diary - Helen Fielding (which I found MUCH funnier than the movie)

Tracy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, can I dare to suggest one of my own novels?? They're definitely edgy with a contemporary twist - set in modern-day Ireland, dealing with some gritty women's issues. My first novel, Looking Good, won a national 'Write-A-Bestseller' competition here in Ireland (okay, 'national' in a country of 3.5 million people isn't like national in a huge country, but still!). Check out my website (details below) for more info. The books are available from Amazon, or www.poolbeg.com.
Unashamed plug!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Tracy, make sure you drop by our AW Library and post a thread as soon as you reach 50 posts, so other members can find your books! The instructions and samples of the information needed is in a sticky here. Welcome to the cooler and congrats on your competition win! :)

Last edited:

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Cathy! :)

Thanks for re-posting this! I wish I were a little more tech-savvy, but so far my attempts to learn more in that area haven't been wildly successful. :)

I picked up a NEXT book last time I shopped for groceries, Sisters [Nancy Robards Thompson], and it's on deck -- right behind Riding With The Queen [Jennie Shortridge], which is wonderful so far.

Tracy -- Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look for it! :)

I just finished Riding Lessons [Sara Gruen] and I LOVED it, can't recommend it highly enough. The author will be here in Portland in a little over a week, what perfect timing! I can't wait to hear her read from her latest, and pick up the sequel to Riding Lessons.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! :)
Caren

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mattie123,

Thanks for the suggestion!
Also, thanks for the "young lady" -- it's not often I'm called that anymore (I'm 41 :Sun:).

~Caren

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Mattie123 said:
Dear Cathy,
I would love for you to read my new novel entitled, THE PERFECT DRESS by Mary Jane Cole ISBN: 1-4208-9015-8 It can be gotten via Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or my website: www.thebookperfectdress.com and most major book stores. It is a great female-contemporary read and an excellent learning experience for someone such as yourself just graduating college. I hope you read it!
I hope you succeed in everything you want to do! You sound like a really ambitious young lady! Good luck with your future endeavors.
Mattie123

Ummm, Mattie? It's sort of considered rude to join a forum and plug your book in the very first post. If you'd like to join in the discussions, great, we'd love to have you. But it appears you're doing drive-by promo, since you have one post and it's a plug for your own book. Like I said, very rude.

Susan G.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
If I could recommend a first published book, at the moment it would be
Tiger Eye by Marjorie M. Liu.

It's Women's Fiction I believe. I've just started reading it. Though I'm only on page 50 it is wonderful!!

It's a paranormal romance and very fantasy like to me.

Cheers :)

Goddess

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tea.kicks-ass.net
One of my favourites is "Dirty Girls' Social Club" by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez.

It is funny, edgy, contemporary with real women and real problems.

Definitely highly recommended.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone that takes Cathy's suggestion of Riding Lessons by Sara Gruen be sure to pick up the second book, Flying Changes. It was by far as good, if not better, than Riding Lessons. I was very impressed...couldn't put them down!

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies! :)

kristie911 -- I skipped Flying Changes for now & am reading Water For Elephants. It's a great example of "first pages" that grab a reader and won't let them go. After I'm finished reading it I plan to go back to the beginning for a little study-session, because I just could not put that book down last night!

I just have to say that Riding With The Queen by Jennie Shortridge is one of the best books I've ever read & it's on my auto-recommend list now (right after Animal Dreams & Choke). I enjoyed it so much, I wasn't even finished with it and had to run out & buy her second book. I'm really looking forward to her workshop at the WW Conference.

BTW, I hope anyone who's interested in a conference but can't afford to go will do what I did. I'm volunteering, and will have 2 of the 3 days of the conference to attend workshops. In that week I'll be working more hours than I usually do at my day job, but I'm so excited about it you'd think I won the lottery. This will be my first conference so I thought the volunteer slots would have been filled up weeks ago, but they still need people now & it's in 3 weeks. Just a thought.

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Mattie123 said:
Dear Susan,
I did not realize I was to follow some sort of unwritten protocol in order to answer someone's question on this forum site. If I breached some sort of rule, I apologize. I guess I did jump in without a formal introduction. But, I have been around for a long time, thus I assumed I was well known bordering on boring.

How can you be well known here when you have 3 posts? And two of them are this post, and the original? I must be missing something. :Shrug: If you've been LURKING, well, that doesn't explain how you could be "well known bordering on boring."

Me, I have 830 posts. That shows I'm an active member of the community. And I don't think it's rude to point out that someone is behaving in a manner that's unacceptable. Comes from moderating a lot of email lists and being a former teacher. :) You're just not happy that I called you on the carpet. I am trying to help you not make the same mistake in the future. This is NOT a good marketing strategy. (And by pointing that out in a public place, I hope to help other people learn from it, and not make the same mistake as well.)

I am not doing a "drive by" advertisment for my novel. I met the criteria for the question being asked by Caren.

You're not? Well, since your first post was promo for your book, it sure LOOKED like a drive-by. My apologies if it really wasn't. (I'm still skeptical, you see, since you only have those 3 posts as I write this. 3 posts does not a community member make, and it makes that number 1 post, the promo for your book, look like a drive-by. You DID manage to slip it in under an appropriate heading, so kudos for being that adept and considerate.)

Plugging one's own work is not rude. It might be pushy but rude- never!

Well, I guess we shall have to agree to disagree about that. I do think that there are times that pushing your own work is rude. Drive-by postings is an example of pushy crossing the line into rude. (Still thinking about those 3 posts.) In fact, drive-by ads for books put the author into the same category as spammers, imho. Which makes it not very effective. The target audiences often have a negative reaction (like the one I had to your original post), which is NOT what an author wants to cultivate in a pool of potential readers.

For example, let's say that I joined a forum for teen moms, or for birthmoms, and my first post to them was to tell them about my last book, which featured a pregnant teenager who gave her baby up for adoption. That would be rude, not pushy. Even if someone had a thread talking about novels that mentioned adoption, and I popped in to plug my book but hadn't posted anything else....well, IMHO, that would be rude. It says, "Hey, I don't care about the other stuff you guys are talking about here, I'm just looking for an opportunity to plug my book. I'm using your forum for my own purposes. I don't want to contribute to the community. I'm much too busy for that. I'm just looking for some people to buy my book."

You could have contributed more in your initial post if you had offered OTHER suggestions for women's fiction books, not just your own. Surely if you write the genre, you read it, right? So you must have some other favorites you can toss out for the discussion?

In fact I'll do it once more: "The Perfect Dress" by Mary Jane Cole. ISBN: 1-4208-9015-8 A real fun read plus a real quality read for the intelligent female.

LOL. Interesting marketing approach. Play up to the consumer by labeling them intelligent if they read your book. That's actually a good psychological marketing ploy.

I will soon have book number 2 out, which is why I am not on this or other sites too often. I am busy with my next novel.

That's excellent. One book should be followed by another. However, I still say that if you only come onto web communities to plug your book or defend plugging your book, that does not make you a member of the community.

Lurkers, please learn something from this. If you're out there, and you hope to plug YOUR book in the future, we're all going to want to know about IT more if we know YOU. :) If you become a friend from this forum, we're likely to cheer your success all the more than if you just pop up suddenly. So, come on out and play! Lurking is no fun. :)

Susan G.

Last edited:

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Mattie 123:

There is nothing like an obvious con game. There are some people in this world who will fall for your "drive by" but they probably aren't on this site., IMHO.

How funny you patronizingly talk to Cathy C and say she sounds like an ambitious young lady (not laughing at the young, Cathy). You should research better. She's a well known published author. Susan is also a successfully published author far more capable than you. There is the factor that I know they wouldn't let your ploy slip by unnoticed.

Most experienced writers I know won't purchase a novel advertized by a "drive-by". They see the obvious.

How rude. Polite manners and consideration are another characteristic of a successful writer.

I hope you've learned something.

Cheers :Shrug:

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Susan,

Thanks for making this so clear, I was curious about why you seemed so upset about Mattie's original post.

This thread is a good example of why I submit far fewer posts than I actually write. I'm not always the most "people-smart" person on the planet (despite my neverending work to get there), so I try to err on the side of caution. I have a nasty habit of saying things that I think are clear and nice, but that are interpreted very differently than I'd intended. Hopefully, the "drive-by" is one mistake I won't end up making should the opportunity [a published novel with my name on it :)] arise in the future.

Have a great day, and thanks for the lesson.
Caren

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
caren1701 said:
Hi Susan,

Thanks for making this so clear, I was curious about why you seemed so upset about Mattie's original post.

This thread is a good example of why I submit far fewer posts than I actually write. I'm not always the most "people-smart" person on the planet (despite my neverending work to get there), so I try to err on the side of caution. I have a nasty habit of saying things that I think are clear and nice, but that are interpreted very differently than I'd intended. Hopefully, the "drive-by" is one mistake I won't end up making should the opportunity [a published novel with my name on it :)] arise in the future.

Have a great day, and thanks for the lesson.
Caren

Caren, doll, you've got enough posts listed to make it clear that you're a member of the community. :) Oh, and hey, don't forget that if you ever have any questions, and you're afraid to ask "in public" on the site, you can private message me! (That's a lovely feature of this site.) I'd be more than happy to answer -- even questions like, why did you get upset about that? What makes drive-by promo rude?

So please, please, feel free to ASK! :)

And I'm crossing my fingers for that published novel with your name on it!

Susan G.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a million, Susan! That means a lot to me. :)

I've lurked at a few other writing forums, but AW is the first & only one where I've posted. I LOVE it here -- something that anyone caught looking at my "Save & Support AW" button soon finds out.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I just re-read INTO THE WILDERNESS by Sara Donati for the umpteenth time.

She is genius. She needs more readers. Hence, I am plugging her here.

Think 'Little House on the Prairie' meets 'Last of the Mohicans' with a dash of 'Pride and Prejudice'.

Love this book.

Mattie123

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebookperfectdress.com
Dear Everone,
I am so sorry that I am considered a lurker. (I actually didn't even know that that is an issue in cyberworld.) I have been involved in the Absolute Write Water Cooler for ages, it seems. I just have been overwhelmed with my own personal writing to jump in and site "issues." It just seems so petty. I thought we were supposed to plug our work on these sites. Sheesh.. why stick around here? If I want rejection, I can go to my mail box.
Mattie

Status
Not open for further replies.