The Humor of Minor Hearing Loss

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We just had an exchange of the type we're having more often these days.

Maryn, finishing a salad for lunch: That wasn't enough.
Mr. Maryn, whose lunch is gone, on his iPad at the same table: What are you looking at me for?
Maryn: Nothing. I can look at you whenever I want.
Mr. Maryn: I’m not look-at-able.
What Maryn thought he said: I don’t look edible.
Maryn: I’m not going to eat you.
Mr. Maryn: There’s bananas.
Maryn, confused: Why would I want to look at bananas?

Once we figured out exactly where and how the miscommunication occurred, it was pretty funny.

Maryn, glad this stuff is still amusing

Last edited:

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
I've got it! The asterisks game has infected your ears. ;)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is that it? Speak up!

Maryn, snorting

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
So there's this old guy who thinks that his old wife is losing her hearing. One day he sees her sitting in the living room, knitting. He stands by the doorway and says to her, "Honey, can you hear me?" But he doesn't get an answer.

He comes a few steps closer and says again, "Honey, can you hear me?" Again, he hears no answer.

He comes a few steps closer still and again asks if she can hear him, and again he gets no answer.

Finally, he walks right up to her and shouts in her ear, "Honey, can you hear me?"

And she says, "For the fourth time, yes."

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's that aspect, too. Mr. Maryn is learning not to take offense if I don't call out a greeting when he comes home, because I do but he doesn't always hear it.

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
There's that aspect, too. Mr. Maryn is learning not to take offense if I don't call out a greeting when he comes home, because I do but he doesn't always hear it.

LOL, “is learning” vs “has learned”: nuff said!

I’m the deaf one and Mrs NM not as bad but definitely in denial. This example is from maybe three years ago and you will see why I have never forgotten it:

I’d had toast for breakfast and it didn’t go down properly because old people have multiple humorous afflictions other than hearing, e.g. eating a piece of toast. Anyway, I saw Mrs NM later that day.

Me: “I’ve got a crumb in my throat.”

She: “How did you get *** in your throat?” *

I took me so long to stop laughing that she almost gave up on me. Once the misunderstanding was cleared up she went one better: “Well how was I to know?”

FYI, these kinds of conversations are more than just every now and then.

*(censored for the young ‘uns, though they probably know what rhymes with crumb better than any of the rest of us)

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Maryn is learning not to take offense if I don't call out a greeting when he comes home, because I do but he doesn't always hear it.

In our house, where only one of us has "minor hearing loss,*" we press the door button twice when entering. If it's me arriving, chimes tell Kay I'm home. If it's her, strobe lights throughout our rooms tell me the lady of the house is home.

To get attention in a room, we switch overhead lights on and off. Lots of deafies stamp a foot on the floor.

*And one of us is deaf as a cedar post. :deaf:

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
At work, if I answer the phone first I might pass the caller on to my boss thus:

me: It's Robert, for you
boss: Who's Robert?
me: I don't know
boss, taking call: Hello? Oh, hello Colin.
me: erm

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Not hearing loss, just ambient noise issues, but after we walked out of a novelty store onto a busy street, my friend said to me, "I didn't see any Betty Boop in there," and I heard, "I didn't see anybody poop in there."