Anything to be gained?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
If you had a book with a small pub that's since sold its digital distribtion rights to one of the monsters of manhattan would you exercise an escape clause to get out of your contract you have with publisher #1 based on the pitiful amount of sales?

I only found out about this by accident when an old friend came across my author page with publisher #2 and linked me to it. I realize they don't know I exist, but I'm just wondering if there's anything at all to be gained by not trying to get my rights back.

Thanks for any light you might shed.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you can ascertain if publisher #2 is more aware of you, is publisher #2 offering any overt marketing/promotion that might eclipse that of publisher #1?
If not, why should more lucrative sales expectations be any greater?
Do you have a pragmatic plan to do better?

I'd recommend mulling these issues over before taking any action. Best of luck!

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! No, I have zero expectation that pub #2 will do anything to better market the book, and no, I don't have any plans to confidently do it either. Why? is a good question. Ha, maybe it's just the vanity factor of seeing my name and title with a pub that otherwise I've been unable to get to.

Also, I'm anticipating that this sale will make it more difficult to get out of, and since my deal is with pub#1, I assume I'd make no progress by attemting to bring my case to pub #2?

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I said "zero expectation" and that may not be entirely fair. With no information to the contrary, I just highly doubt that they will.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you know, a loss is a loss is a loss no matter the angle at which you tilt your head to get a different look. Pathetic, ain't it?

Thanks, IronMike, we move on.