PDA

View Full Version : March Challenge - Write Every Day!

Magnus
02-28-2019, 12:25 PM
This is a thread open to anyone who wants to start, maintain, or reinforce a writing habit. (It can also be about revision, editing, research -- all writing habits welcome!)

The basic idea is that repeating something daily, even if only for a short time, will build a habit that becomes stronger over time.

It's entirely up to you how much and in what way you participate. Post your goals if you like, or just check in when you can!

Here are some tips:

Set achievable goals – I can't stress enough how important this is. To build a habit, doing something is more important than quantity or quality.
Keep up the habit as many days in the week as possible – even if it's just a few sentences or a bit of editing. It reinforces the habit and makes it easier to get started.
Mix it up – Try different types of goals, different times of the day, different tricks to reward or motivate yourself. A good habit is what works for you, not someone else.
Be patient – It takes a long time to build a strong habit and you'll always be facing new challenges. Get used to constantly adapting and you'll be better prepared for whatever problem comes up next.
Don't give up because you didn't hit your goal – When you fail to hit your target, your job is figuring out why it happened. That way, you can find ways to get around your roadblocks (and don't be scared of lowering the bar - doing something is better than doing nothing). If you share your stumbles in the thread, others might be able to help out with tips, tricks, and support! And sometimes, it's okay to just take a break for a day or two, or have scheduled days "off". Whatever works for you!

Good luck, and see you on March 1st!

Cindyt
02-28-2019, 01:46 PM
:snoopy:

1. Write every day, inspiration be damned.
2. Daily draft goal: 1k. At least
3. Whatever chapter word count fits.
4. Finish the first draft of the crime novel.
5. Don't beat myself up if I fall below my targets.

Layla Nahar
02-28-2019, 04:31 PM
Thanks Magnus!

My usual (and I've been struggling lately ) - 3 actions to keep going with Writing, even when Life happens:

1) add something to my WIP
2) one (or more) actions of responsibility or self-care
3) one (or more) actions to increase my earning ability (this one has been proving to be the tough one these days...)

Keithy
02-28-2019, 06:11 PM
Finish my 1st draft this month, which needs 15-20k more words. At 5k a week that's doable.

Keep winning at scrabble.

Deal with some family issues as best I can.

Pterofan
02-28-2019, 11:33 PM
Returning after my bout with bronchitis. It lasted two weeks, with a third week of leftover wheezing and coughing just to spite me. I was still able to write something every day, but only in the last week and a half have I been able to get back to the planned projects on a more or less regular basis. Also sent out three flash fictions to three markets, so I made a sub for February.

Goals for March: write 500 words per day minimum (I've found that's more doable), work on the romance series, and sub something to a paying market before the month is over. Book 1 of the series stalled on me, so right now I'm writing Book 3. Maybe I can squeeze in a short story to send out by March 31.

Heather Lazarus
03-01-2019, 12:13 AM
I'm going to shout out to the universe myself. I figure it can only help if I post a little promise to myself. 500 words a day, on anything, but hopefully it will mostly be my book. I'll count the shopping list if I have to, though...

WGough
03-01-2019, 04:59 AM
Thanks for starting the thread, Magnus!

The same goal I had last month: finish revising Book II of The Saga.

Pterofan: Glad you're back in fighting form!

:welcome: Heather Lazarus!

Good luck, everybody!

April Swanson
03-01-2019, 05:04 PM
Thanks again Magnus for starting this thread. This is my anniversary for joining and it’s had such a positive impact on my writing and general well-being—so thank-you all you lovely people who check in with me every day :)

Anyway, I was not in the mood at all today, but I gave myself a mental slap, blocked the internet, and got on with it. I ended up enjoying myself and finishing earlier than usual. Wrote 2718 in total. My WIP is now sitting at 26,522, which is the highest any project of mine has been since, ooo, summer 2017. FU writer’s block. :box:

Taylor Harbin
03-01-2019, 05:51 PM
I finished editing Part III of the novel this morning. Only one fourth left and the first pass on the book is done!

Pterofan
03-01-2019, 11:14 PM
Day 1 - 119 words longhand (could be more later)

And now that I'm back, I may miss a day or two for a bit. We're getting a one-two-three punch from winter. A storm dumped four inches of snow on us last night (it's already melting out); a smaller storm's supposed to tag us overnight tonight; then the biggie starts tomorrow afternoon and runs the gamut from snow to ice to rain until sometime Monday morning. After that we round out the week with daytime highs in the 20s. So either I won't make it to the library for my WiFi, or the library may be closed. I can keep writing regardless.

Punxatawny Phil promised us an early spring. As soon as the roads are clear, I'm going to hunt down that lying little rodent. :rant:

WGough
03-02-2019, 04:13 AM
Day 1
Revised half a chapter. Reached the 25% mark.

April: Happy Anniversary! Dance, dance, dance for 2718 words!

Taylor: Congratulations! Hope you're feeling fine.

Pterofan: Nice work. Glad you're back. Stay warm!

Have a great weekend!

Keithy
03-02-2019, 05:13 AM
Pterofan, glad to hear you're feeling better.
Heather Lazarus - welcome aboard the good ship March Challenge.
April - hat doffings as usual.
Taylor - hope that draft is coming under control.

677 words today. The siege assault has ended for the day and Shana & co are going to have chat with the king. The question is, shall we attempt to summon a big nasty demon or not? It might eat us.

keep on swim swims... or sailing... or whatever. :)

Layla Nahar
03-02-2019, 05:21 AM
April zowwy! Congrats on the 2718 - so glad to hear you had fun at it, too :D
Nice work, Taylor
keep at it Ptero!
Congrats on getting 1/4 out of the way, Gough!
Keithy, congrats on the 667 :)

Day 1

WIP - 1/4 page
R/SC -cooked a big batch of "Hearty Vegan Lentil Stew"; went to ballet
$$ - sent emails to people who offered help with my indy and my audio projects :D

Cindyt
03-02-2019, 08:51 AM
Day 1

Draft - 1058

Research - Temporal Lobe. Booze that goes good with iced tea. Sound a dog makes snoring and wheezing.

Edit - 3 scenes

Published - The Lurker in The North Gwinnett Voice

Ptero - Go get him! :roll:

Gough - WTG on revisions and reaching the 25% mark.

Layla - Great start.

Keithy - Excellent word count for the first day.

Computer trouble. https://static.wixstatic.com/media/8083c9_2df76608e0fe4d9199c51e3cdd835ce3~mv2.gif

April Swanson
03-02-2019, 01:14 PM
Taylor: Great job!

Pterofan: Good to have you back :) Stay safe in that storm.

Heather: Accountability is so important — so long as you know when to go easy on yourself :) Good luck meeting your goals!

WGough: Yay for 25%!

Keithy: Demon! Demon! Demon! Demon!

Layla: Yay 1/4 page! Ooh, can you please send me a portion of your hearty vegan lentil stew please? Signed, one lazy vegan.

Cindyt: Congrats for passing that 1k line. So, do tell: what booze goes with iced tea?

Just some musing today, planning out the next couple of chapters so I’m ready to draft on Monday. I also have a wee niggling excitement for another project; I’m going to allow myself to work on it for 30 minutes a day, so long as it doesn’t interfere with my main WIP.

Day 2: Wee bit; 5.5 miles; sushi and Janeway aka weekend perfection

Pterofan
03-02-2019, 10:45 PM
Two days into the new month and already doing a drive-by. This morning I shoveled Round 2 off my car. Round 3 is set to begin some time early tomorrow afternoon, with a predicted 3-7 inches dumped in our laps, and onto our driveways, by Monday morning. I'm going to the grocery store this afternoon, because tomorrow morning it'll be nuts in there.

Punxatawny Phil is about to become roadkill.

On the bright side, Brain went writing without me and provided a new character for Book 3's storyline, one who plugs up a couple of plot holes. And a throwaway line I wrote in Chapter 1 just paid off in Chapter 3. Sometimes this crazy business works. :)

Heather Lazarus
03-03-2019, 02:05 AM
I haven’t met my goal today, but I did write a bit from a great writing prompt book called:
642 Things to Write About, by the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto
I highly recommend it!

AaronJKaplan
03-03-2019, 04:15 AM
I just committed to writing at least one blog post every day between my 6 blogs... so even I won't know where each day's post will be, but it will get my blogs moving a bit. They're all old and so they all have some content, some more than others, but they're all fairly stagnant and so most likely boring to my followers. I'm thinking that if this commitment doesn't work out for too long, it's a sign for me to combine some of the blogs where I can, rather than having so much to cloud my vision and mind. Wish me luck! I'd rather keep them all :tongue

Other than that, I'm mainly working on performing music and poetry, and on marketing my books, and organizing my life to be more streamlined and easier to handle. I may write the occasional poem, and I may edit some old stuff

Good luck everybody! This is my birthday month, btw, so I'll try to share some of my birthday luck with everyone for all of your projects!

WGough
03-03-2019, 05:26 AM
Day 2
Revised two chapters.

Keithy: Congrats on 677. I say summon the demon!

Layla: Way to quarter page and stew! Are you pro balsamic?

Cindyt: Another ton of work for you! Computer woes are a bummer. We call the noise our loudest snorer makes a "snarf."

April: Way to discipline that plot bunny!

Pterofan: What a great writing day! Love the plot plugs!

Heather Lazarus: Thanks for the rec!

AaronJKaplan: :welcome: A sound plan. Good luck!

Keithy
03-03-2019, 06:01 AM
Cindy, good to see your continued progress. Go easy on the drink. Oh, and say hello to the puppy from me.

April - think then do; nothing wrong with that.

I did 826 words today, not bad for a day off. The guy who knows about demons is a little reticent about summoning them. I am pretty certain a demon will be summoned, and it will be a bit of a disaster.

research-wise: I finished Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, both movie and book. I was looking at the story structure, and wasn't very convinced. So I am justified in having no "Hogwarts" in my universe.

keeeppp swimmminng!

Layla Nahar
03-03-2019, 06:33 AM
All right Cindy! wgt on the quadrifecta (if that's even a word) & an extra high-five on the pubbing :D
Nice work, April - a wee side project sounds like fun
Ptero - that's awesome about the new character and the throwaway line.
Congrats on getting some writing in today Heather :)
Hello Aaron!
Congrats on the two chapters, Gough
Keithy, nice work. (I am on my 3rd reading of potter. I just read Goblet of Fire twice and on this 2nd (wait that's third…) reading when I got to the cup-is-a-portkey and heeere's Voldemort I just - didn't read any more. Maybe because it's a lot of denoument at that point … I dunno. I should finish it tho cause the library will want it back soon.

Day 2

WIP - 1 page
R/SC - earning service; chores & sewing
$$ - a new person at work was a test customer for my indy project

Cindyt
03-03-2019, 09:20 AM
Day 2

Draft - 1412

Research - Hanoi Jane. Venetian statuary on wall top reliefs.

Polish - 5 scenes

AaronJKaplan - :welcome:

April - Bourbon. I chose Old Crow because it fits, but only a handful of people will get it. Musing is good. I’m musing on the next project too. Another Billy Estrella crime? Or my Wolf Catlin western? Hmmm. I’ll probably go with the last once because, like the first Estrella, it’s a story I couldn’t write years ago, but I think I can now.

Gough - WTG on revisions!

Layla - 1 Page! :snoopy:

Keithy - I bought the entire set of Harry Potter books and could not get into them. :chair

I wanted to binge watch Little House on the Prairie today, but alas.

Taylor Harbin
03-03-2019, 04:23 PM
Chapter One of Part IV first pass edits complete.

starrystorm
03-03-2019, 04:53 PM
DAY 2- Went over chapter two again. I'm know at this point I'm just stalling. Chapter 3 is going to be a mess. Nearly everything in it has to change.

Pterofan
03-03-2019, 10:20 PM
Day 2 - 249 words

The library was closed, probably in anticipation of the storm, so here I am at the truck stop. Though maybe not for long; I stepped out of the car and saw flurries. At least I don't need to go to a grocery store. I don't even want to think about it.

Housework or writing? Decisions, decisions ...

Keithy - summoning a demon is always a disaster. Makes for great stories, though. ;)

Keithy
03-04-2019, 04:27 AM
Layla - well done on the work on your WIP. And on struggling through some Harry Potter books.

Cindy, ooh, again congrats on your hard work. It's worth a good hat doffing. I've read parts of the HP books (mostly the later ones). Not impressed by the first one - too obviously a children's book.

Starrystorm - let it flow... easy to say, but I've been "bunged up" before and when it moves, it really moves.

Pterofan - we had a bit of snow here in Dublin, no great problem, well done with the 249.

I did 952 words today. I did think of pushing on to 1K but I'm at the end of a chapter and the next one is the classic "dark night of the soul." Shana gets betrayed and ends up in a prison, where she finds that her friends (who she thought were safe) are there with her. Oh my, she's in a real bad state, and that's not just physically (someone squished her powers). Nasty.

Keep swimming swimming swimming... Or sailing... trucking... whatever.

WGough
03-04-2019, 04:28 AM
Day 3
Revised two chapters.

Keithy: Nice word count. Have you read Joseph Campell's The Hero's Journey? I had to read it for grad school, and while it doesn't work for me, you might give it a try for structure.

Layla: Congrats on the page!

Cindyt: Way to three-peat! Loved the Little House books.

Taylor: Nice editing!

starrystorm: I, too, procrastinate revisiting the hard chapters. And the easy ones. Good luck!

Pterofan: I love it. I'm paraphrasing, but years ago, I read something like "My house is never cleaner than when I need to write."

Have a great week, everybody!

Layla Nahar
03-04-2019, 05:44 AM
Cindy - congrats on your three - great work :)
nice work, Taylor
Hey starry - way to keep at it!
Congrats on the 249 Ptero
Keithy - congrats on the 952. Oh dear Shana…
Way to keep at it Gough

Day 3

WIP - 1/4 page (wish I did more - but I made it to work on time)
R/SC - earning service, groceries, got lunch ready for tomorrow - a nap & some binge reading - too tired for much else
$$ - some performance practice

Early to bed tonight. In the last two weeks I worked 10 days in a row. It caught up with me.

Cindyt
03-04-2019, 08:57 AM
Day 3

Draft - 1526

Research - Karma. Jainism. Hinduism, Buddhism. Bruce Lee.

Edit - 1 scene

Layla - WTG on ¼ page

Keithy - Congrats on the great word count!

Billy and the pup dog are on the run.

April Swanson
03-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Pterofan: Go Brain!

Heather: Any writing is a win :) I’ve never used prompts myself, but know a lot of people swear by them. Glad it worked well for you.

Aaron: Good luck!

WGough: Congrats for whipping five chapters into shape. I read half of JC’s The Hero with a Thousand Faces but got mad that he wasn’t at least mentioning the god-awful sexism, so ditched it. I’ve seen Star Wars enough times to know the Hero’s Journey well enough :D

Keithy: 826 and 952! Crackin’ stuff. I’ve read HP probably, ooo, 15+ times—especially the first ones. Safe to say I’m a fan :)

Layla: Hooray for 1 1/4 page! Get some well-earned snooze.

Cindyt: Great job drafting, polishing, and diving down those research rabbit holes :) Mmm … bourbon. I love Bulleit bourbon.

Taylor: Nice!

starry: Often you gotta do it wrong to know how to do it right.

Well, I woke up at 0300, couldn’t get back to sleep, so gave in, got up, and wrote 2932 in the wee hours. Who knew it was so much easier to focus before the Guardian’s live political blog starts? :rolleyes:

Day 4: Decent bit; ? miles; and so to bed

Taylor Harbin
03-04-2019, 07:58 PM
Halfway through Chapter 2.

Pterofan
03-04-2019, 11:08 PM
Day 3 - 550 words and vacuumed the house. I did writing AND housework. Though the sink remains full of dishes.
Day 4 - not sure yet. Wrote 3/4 page longhand. The plan is to type later on and get an accurate count,but if that doesn't happen, call it 300.

I wasn't expecting to check in today, but we caught a break with the weather. I think my area only got 4-5 of the predicted 7 inches, and it was light and easy to shovel. Also, I have a lot of neighbors with snow blowers, and the guys love to play with their toys, so I didn't have to clear my sidewalk. Obviously the library was open or you wouldn't be reading this. The fun will begin when the temps drop tonight, and anything that wasn't cleared off ices over. By the looks of the footprints, somebody's cat made it onto my porch and left his mark. Don't eat the yellow snow!

April - holy crap, that is an awesome word count! I've often thought of getting up to work on those nights I can't sleep, but never do. Next time it happens, I'm going to go for it.

WGough
03-05-2019, 01:55 AM
Day 4
Revised one scene. Doctor appointment. Groceries.

Layla: Write, nap, read. Sounds like a perfect day.

Cindyt: Run, pup, run!

April: Who needs sleep when you feel like writing! Amazing job!

Taylor: Way to edit!

Pterofan: Glad you were able to get out! Snow here is a sign of the apocalypse.

Keithy
03-05-2019, 04:32 AM
Cindy & April - hat doffings sent your way for the word counts.
Pterofan - housework (!) but well done on the 550
Taylor & WGough - I'll be joining you revisers soon. :)

OK I managed 763 words today. Bit of a struggle, and I lifted some of it from my "oddments" file. "Dark night of the soul" time for Shana. I need to decide what sort of demon will be summoned by antagonist #2.
Apart from that, I washed a stuffed toy cat.

just keep swimming swimming...

starrystorm
03-05-2019, 04:50 AM
DAY 3: 570 words of rewriting that stupid chapter 3. At least I pushed through it.

Pterofan- It's cold down here. I just feel bad for all those people coming down south. It's going to be 30 the rest of the week.

Wgough-At least you beat the blank page.

Keithy Ooh, dark night of the soul. Always fun to write/revisit.

Layla Nahar
03-05-2019, 05:23 AM
Nice writing, nice research Cindy
April - who knew indeed!
Nice, Taylor
Congrats on the writing AND housework (Layla looks at the horrid dust sausages under her desk and behind the door…)
Wtg Gough - taking care of business, and writing :)

Day 4

WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - earning service, some sorting thru mail & the like (that pile did some growing in the last few weeks…), cooking
$$ - wee bit of research related to my audio project

nuther early night. Gonna go saw some logs...

Layla Nahar
03-05-2019, 05:25 AM
wait - what? I missed Keithy and starrystorm - K - keep on keeping on ... and swimming! & nice work starry :)

Cindyt
03-05-2019, 08:14 AM
Day 4

Draft - 1138

Research - 6 am TV show--News at Sunrise with Connie Chung beginning a brief about Pakistan restoring the 13th amendment to its constitution.

Edit - 1 scene

April - 2932! I chose Jack Daniels.

Gough - WTG on revising on a busy day. I have a Dr.’s appointment next week and may not be able to hit 1k. I edited out the run bit. Too early in the book. I need to make two other people disappear first.

Layla - Good on half page!

Keithy - Good word count!

Taylor Harbin
03-05-2019, 08:41 PM
Finished chapter 2. I have now become aware of a new problem that needs to be fixed: if magic exists, is it well known, or something that many people do not believe in? And if that is the case, how can the protagonist convince other characters to join in his mission?

Pterofan
03-05-2019, 11:07 PM
Day 5 - wrote 1-3/4 pages this morning. Estimate about 500 words. Didn't type last night, but the dishes got done.

I'm up to the scene where the throwaway line paid off. In Chapter 1, my FMC is naked (the downside to being a shapeshifter) and gets picked up by a horndog. She ends up stealing his car. While she flirts with the driver, she notes his car is automatic--good for her, because she can't drive stick. Come Chapter 3 and the MMC has just saved her from vampires. She responds by trying to steal his car...except his car's a stick shift. She pulled this on him the first time they met so he's been driving stick ever since, just in case he should run into her again. This is what I love about pantsing, the little shiny nuggets that pop up unexpectedly. Never knowing where the story will go next, not so much.

April Swanson
03-05-2019, 11:48 PM
Honk honk, drive-by!

Hit a major road block so only got 814 words and had to spend the rest of my time planning. I predict tomorrow will be the same. :badthoughts

Day 5: Wee bit; 8 miles; good foundations

WGough
03-06-2019, 04:49 AM
Day 5
Revised one chapter.

Keithy: Nice word count. Is the demon summoning your climax moment? One of us! One of us!

starrystorm: Way to get it done! Stay warm.

Layla: Nice 1/2 page!

Cindyt: Ooo, love the evil plotting!

Taylor: Way to spot the problem! So frustrating/satisfying.

Pterofan: Nice pantsing!

April: Toot toot! Still great word count!

Layla Nahar
03-06-2019, 06:40 AM
nice work, Cindy
Taylor, I'm face to face with Sanderson's First Law these days…
Woo - nice work, Ptero. & neat story about your story - and uh - neat (well, funny?) story, too.
April - congrats on that 814!
Nice work, Gough

Day 5 - had something no-fun come up. I can only just keep soldiering on...

WIP - 1/4 page
R/SC - earning service, & a wee bit of sewing
$$ - some audio project related research

Cindyt
03-06-2019, 07:59 AM
Day 5

Draft - 1208

Research - Motivations to murder.

Gough - WTG on revisions

Layla - WTG on ¼ page. I didn’t want to write the first word. I decided to take the day off. So, I got up and, as you say, soldiered on.

Keithy
03-06-2019, 01:14 PM
OH starry storm, well done for that pushing through... rewriting is tough.
Cindy, still over 1k, I'm up and down.
Pterofan - good to get 500 down. Also good to see some reality as far as shapeshifting goes.
April, don't run us over! :)

OK it was a bit of a struggle today (and yesterday) but I got 1059 words down. The second demon has appeared. I couldn't decide what colour to make it so it's multicoloured.

keeep swim swim swims

Taylor Harbin
03-06-2019, 04:04 PM
Layla, sometimes I wish I’d never heard of it!

starrystorm
03-06-2019, 04:57 PM
DAY 5: Wrote another 388 longhand for chapter three.

Cindyt- Wow, that's some interesting research.
Keithy- I like the idea of a rainbow demon.

April Swanson
03-06-2019, 08:51 PM
WGough: Show that chapter who's boss :)

Layla: :Hug2:

Cindyt: Yay for 1208 words! Reasons for murder, eh? Bad drivers and people who double-dip the hummus.

Keithy: 1059 is great! Well done for winning the struggle. I like your solution :D

starrystorm: Nice!

More planning for me today. The plot is getting quite complex so I made a big table that will, in theory, guide me through troubled waters. In theory.

Day 6: Decent bit; 1 mile; sofa-bound

Pterofan
03-06-2019, 10:51 PM
Morning drive-by while I wrapped up a freelance assignment. Later this afternoon I'll type up the longhand and get a more accurate word count. And continue the story, I hope.

Keithy: I write paranormal erotic romance, so having characters (male or female) who may find themselves naked at inopportune times is a plus. :Thumbs:

Taylor Harbin
03-06-2019, 11:20 PM
Half way through Chapter 3. Trimming a monologue...

Layla Nahar
03-07-2019, 03:40 AM
Cindy - WTG to you, too. I guess it's fight or sink… (swimmy swim swim ;D )
Keithy, it's a lot of fun till the multi-colored demon appears - and then things really get started ;)
nice, starry!
way to keep at it, April
WTG to you, too Ptero
Cultivate that garden Taylor ;)

WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - sent an updated resume; sewing
$$ - looked into some classes; some performance practice related research

WGough
03-07-2019, 04:30 AM
Day 6
Revised half a chapter. Shrimp Biryani!

Cindyt: Nice soldiering!

Keithy: When in doubt, go with puce! Congrats on 1K+!

starrystorm: Way to get work it through.

April: Love a complex plot. Way to stay on top of it!

Pterofan: Thanks for dropping in!

Taylor: Trim, trim, trim!

Layla: Congrats on the 1/2 page!

Cindyt
03-07-2019, 08:15 AM
Day 6

Draft - 1402

Research - hidden escape container aboard a yacht.

Edit - 3 scenes

Polish - Article

Starry - WTG on the word count!

April - :roll:

Gough - Good revisions!

Layla - YaY for a half page!

Keithy - Nice productive struggle!

I completed the second draft of my next article, And So I Married Him

April Swanson
03-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Ptero, Taylor, keep plugging away!

Layla: Yay for 1/2 a page! Sewing sounds very therapeutic.

WGough: Those revisions are coming along nicely. Glad you enjoyed yer curry :) It’s been too long since I had a good one.

Cindyt: Nice WC! And big WOOHOO for finishing the second draft :)

I could not be sacked today, but I gave myself a kick and ended up beyond my target—3407 words. I find drafting to be such a slog … Gonna need a lot of bum-kicks to get me over the finish-line!

Day 7: Decent bit; 7 miles; domestic goddess

Taylor Harbin
03-07-2019, 07:26 PM
I almost finished chapter 3. Got stuck debating how much one character really knows and whether he should tell the other characters or let them figure it out for themselves.

Pterofan
03-07-2019, 11:03 PM
Day 6 - 204 words
Day 7 - about 200 so far, hoping to write more later

April - holy guacamole, look at you go!

WGough
03-08-2019, 02:25 AM
Day 7
Revised one chapter.

Cindyt: Smuggling! Way to hit four marks!

April: Trade you a drafting bum kick for a revising one. Congrats on that stupendous word count!

Taylor: Way to interrogate that mss!

Pterofan: Steady on!

starrystorm
03-08-2019, 03:04 AM
DAY 6: 572 words (ish)

Cindyt: half a chapter is great work.

April-3K is not slogging to me!

Taylor- I hate when I run into walls like that.

Pterofan-Nice, even pace there

Keithy
03-08-2019, 04:40 AM
Bit of a driveby here,

I did nothing yesterday because I went "up north" AKA to Northern Ireland.

Today I struggled to write 401 words. It's a punch-up between an ice demon and a sort of shape-shifting demon.

The end is in sight: Shana will have to fight one of these. She's going to need a major power-up to do so.

:)

Layla Nahar
03-08-2019, 05:34 AM
Cindy - wooo a day of four! Nice
April - dang that's some good work!
Congrats on Chapter 3, Taylor
Nice work, Ptero
Congrats on that 1 chapter revised, Gough :D
starry, nice work!
Keithy, 401 words sounds great!

Day 7

WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - sewing, accounting
$$ - sent an email about a marketing opportunity; a bit of performance practice

Cindyt
03-08-2019, 09:12 AM
Day 7

Draft - 1510

Edit - 4 scenes

Submission - And I Married Him to he North Gwinnet Voice.

Starry - What half page? I drafted 1402 words. Lol.

April - 3047 words!

Gough - Good revisions!

Layla - Decent drafting!

AaronJKaplan
03-08-2019, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone, but poo... I haven't been able to keep up with this thread as I would have liked, but I do see that it's active with moving projects, and that's what I like to see! Good job guys and gals! As far as me, I've kept up with the blog-post-a-day goal, and have 7 blog posts so far! And as for performance, I just booked a show as poetic support at a jazz concert, reading some of my original work! The show isn't until late April, which is good because it gives me time to work on my material at some open mics.

As for ya'll, the imagery of double-dipping the hummus makes me cringe.

Keithy- Your demons are awesome!

CindyT- I've always thought secret escape routes in expensive dwellings are fascinating... and good day 7 work!

April- Bum kick! WGough- Bum kick!

Taylor- good old fashioned philosophical conundrum... maybe the character should debate with himself how much he really knows and have an inner conflict over whether to get involved or not... a bit involved but maybe worth the work... just some advice to ponder. Keep up the work!

Layla- keep chugging along with that WIP!

starrystorm- keep it up!

Pterofan- is the snow still pretty to you once it's brown? I've only seen snow a couple times (just completed my first year living in a snowy region) and it's fascinating to me even once it's icy and not-white. Keep your work up!

Pterofan
03-08-2019, 07:59 PM
Day 7 - 505 (final tally)

I'm going to see if I can write longhand here at the library. I've got from now until around 2-3 this afternoon, when a small storm is supposed to blow through. I may head home then if it looks bad and I panic.

Keithy - demon smackdown! Yes!!!

Aaron JK - it depends on where the "brown" is coming from. I live in an area with a large Amish population, which means Amish horse-and-buggies, which means a lot of horses on the road, which means ... well, you get the idea.

April Swanson
03-08-2019, 10:44 PM
Taylor: Hmm … does the character have a strong motivation to tell the others?

Pterofan: I’m starving, so mention of guacamole makes me really want nachos. Yay for 204 + 505!

WGough: *BOOT* There ye go!

starrystorm: Great effort!

Keithy: Good luck to you and Shana for the final battle :)

Layla: Hurrah for 1/2 page! Eek. Accounting … I’m allergic.

Cindyt: Enjoy the 1k club :)

Aaron: Awesome job keeping up with your goals! That’s so cool about the concert :)

Oh good grief today was One of Those Days. Absolutely struggled to get 1508, which was way below my original target. Meep. Really gonna have to pull my finger out if I’m gonna get this draft done by the end of the month.
I also spent 20 odd minutes on my little side project, which I will now call my wee WIP.

So glad it’s Friday.

Day 8: Wee bit; 6 miles; frozen eyeball

Taylor Harbin
03-08-2019, 11:57 PM
Taylor: Hmm … does the character have a strong motivation to tell the others?

He has a strong desire to tell, because his bit of knowledge is their last chance to stop the dark lord. However, as I have mentioned before, I have not yet established how many characters in this world believe in any sort of “magic.“ I feel I cannot adequately explain my problem without spoiling a bit of the story so here goes:

The character with the secret fought a dragon long ago that had been corrupted by dark magic. The dragon still lives, but he told everyone else that it had been killed. However, he did not consider the possibility the dragon was magical until the current antagonist, the dark Lord, was resurrected. Since magic is outside his body of knowledge, he is not completely convinced that the dragon will be any help to them, but he knows if the enemy finds her, they will kill her or recruit her. Since he is now weak and dying, he hasn’t trusted the job of recruiting her to the protagonist, his student.

As it stands, I think I can use a secondary character to fill in the protagonist’s lack of knowledge, since this particular character does know quite a bit about magic. However, that scene will not happen for a while after a certain item is unearthed which makes the situation obvious: that the dragon will not be able to help them at all unless it is purified and restored to its full divine power.

WGough
03-09-2019, 04:25 AM
Day 8
Revised one chapter. Hit the 50% mark. I see cookies in my future.

starrystorm: Nice word count!

Keithy: Fight scenes and love scenes take forever. Way to get some words down!

Layla: Congrats on the half page! Yay sewing! Boo accounting.

Cindyt: Good ol' one-two!

AaronJKaplan: Way to meet your goals. Congrats on the gig! And thanks for the much needed bum kick!

Pterofan: Nice tally!

Swansy: Thenk ye! 1508? Another amazing drafting day!

Taylor: That's some serious plotting, buster.

Have a great weekend, everybody!

Taylor Harbin
03-09-2019, 04:42 AM
Taylor: That's some serious plotting, buster.

Have a great weekend, everybody!

I know. I don’t think I’m a very good young people author.

Layla Nahar
03-09-2019, 05:01 AM
Cindy congrats on all the good work (and the sub!)
way to keep at it, Aaron! Good to see you (I grew up in a snowy place, I love it, even when I have to shovel. (& when I see that brown snow I think - 200 years ago it probably stayed white till it melted - though near cities there would be some soot from heating, but nothing like what fills the air now…))
Ptero - 505 is excellent!
April you're doing great :)
Taylor - that's a bit of practice for your synopsis ;)
Over the hump, Gough!

Day 8

WIP - 3/4 page
R/SC - sewing & crafting, ballet
$$ - re-sent my marketing email from yesterday to the new person;

Keithy
03-09-2019, 06:14 AM
Hats doffed to Cindy and Layla as usual.
Pterofan - half a k is better than zero k.
April - 1508 is pretty splendid in my view.

Taylor - ooh, I like this dragon of yours! I want one for Christmas.

OK I did 543 words today. The multi-coloured shape shifting demon beat the ice demon and is now coming to kill Shana, and btw all this happens in the middle of a siege. Shana is about to turn her powers back on and we'll get a glimpse of how powerful she will be once she grows up. Zap! Pow! Take that, demons!

swim swim swim, no sinking allowed

Cindyt
03-09-2019, 01:38 PM
Day 8

Draft - 1310

Research - Shooting wet guns.

Edit - 3 scenes

AaronJKaplan - I got interested in secret places while researching my historical novel.

April - I have been enjoying the 1k club. Great word count!

Gough - WTG on revisions and reaching the 50% mark. Now I want a cookie.

Layla - Rocking ¾ page.

Keithy - Great word count!

Completed first draft of late March or early April article, untitled about April Fool’s Day.

Pterofan
03-09-2019, 09:16 PM
Day 8 - 619 words
Day 9 - 504 words this morning. May or may not be more later.

I should do more writing at the library. Fewer distractions.

I don't have any cookies on hand, but I can offer bananas. Everybody take one: :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana::banana::banana::banana:

Except for WGough. You get cake. :Cake: :)

April Swanson
03-09-2019, 09:24 PM
Taylor: Interesting. He could also maybe decide to tell the student, but then die before doing so? Or do it mid-croak, leaving a bit of a mystery ala Yoda in RotJ? Then your secondary character could fill in the blanks.

WGough: 50% Woo! That’s definitely a cookie moment. :e2cookie:

Layla: Ooo more ballet! I play Just Dance for my dancing fix. Probably a very different vibe to ballet :tongue

Keithy: I love your multi-coloured demon :D

Cindyt: Yay for finishing that first draft! I do loathe April Fool’s Day though. I have been fooled in the past …

Had to catch up for yesterday, so wrote 1324, then planned the next chapter. I’ve been trialing Scapple, which is a brainstorming programme from the Scrivener folks. It’s been pretty useful for quickly mapping out stuff wot happens.

Day 9: Wee bit; 7 miles; bagel queen

Taylor Harbin
03-09-2019, 10:49 PM
Halfway through Chapter 4.

Keithy
03-10-2019, 03:26 AM
Cindy - I think shooting wet guns is going to be interesting. Over 1K again, great progress.
Pterofan - mm, bananas.

April - well done for the 1k plus. Scapple sounds interesting.

Taylor - yes, agreed with April. Give it to the reader in scraps.

I did 234 words today on what it officially my day off. Shana's fighting the multi-coloured shape shifting demon. When she's finished, another one will come through the wormhole... which is her way home. Should she destroy it?

(spoiler) she becomes an apprentice demon warder. Bet you never saw that coming.

Keep swimming!

WGough
03-10-2019, 03:38 AM
Day 9
Revised two chapters. Oatmeal pecan chocolate chip cookies!

Layla: Congrats on your 3/4 page!

Keithy: Apprentice demon warder. Likey!

Cindyt: Another triple duty day! Awesome. Cookies for everyone!

Pterofan: Wow, you're a writing machine. Thanks for the cake!

April Swanson: Way to beat 1K! I've been wondering about Scrapple. I take it you recommend it?

Taylor: Nice job with those edits!

Layla Nahar
03-10-2019, 07:23 AM
Cousin K - wtg on the 543 words. Some days are more stick than others…
Beautiful trifecta, Cindy
Nice Work Pt! (really no more cookies? bananas are too healthy…)
Excellent work, April :)
Nice, Taylor
Keithy, 234 is pretty good for a day off ;)
Gough - not sure which sounds better 2 chapters or oatmeal pecan chocolate chip COOKIES!!

Day 9

WIP 3/4 page
R/SC - moar sewing! earning service
$$ - skip day

Cindyt
03-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Day 9

Draft - 1137

Research - Retina illusion. Changing your home security code yourself.

Edit - 4 scenes and the title page

April - Mama used to get me good on April Fool’s. So, one year I got even, but the joke was on me. WTG on word count!

Gough - Good revising. Now gimme a cookie.

Layla - ¾ page. Woot! You are so steady.

Keithy - Ended up cutting the wet gun scene. Might use it later. YaY for progress on your day off!

Pterofan
03-10-2019, 11:04 PM
Daylight Savings threw me off stride. I'm still trying to find that lost hour. Maybe I can type/write a bit here at the library. For some reason the lobby's jammed with people getting passports.

I like soft'n chewy macadamia cookies. :D

Layla - true, but healthy food helps you live longer so you can write more. Or gives you more time to eat cookies. :greenie

Taylor Harbin
03-10-2019, 11:17 PM
Made it through Chapter 4 and part of Chapter 5. Thanks to everyone who suggested fixes for my problem!

WGough
03-11-2019, 04:11 AM
Day 10
Revised one chapter.

Layla: Congrats 3/4 page and sewing!

Cindyt: Amazing work. Take the cookies!

Pterofan: Daylight savings? Me no-likey.

Taylor: Editing machine!

Have a great week everybody!

Layla Nahar
03-11-2019, 04:36 AM
Cindy - nice work. You're pretty steady yourself :)
Ptero - I'm still recovering.
Congrats on that progress, Taylor
Nice keeping at it Gough

Day 10

WIP 1/4 page
R/SC - earning service, wee bit of crafting. A nap
$$ - signed up for an online market for my audio services.

Keithy
03-11-2019, 05:04 AM
Cindy - hat doffings going your way for the 1K. I need to get a doffing hat.

Pterofan - oh I hate all that fiddling with clocks, and you've just reminded me that it's coming. A lost hour of sleep :(

Layla & Taylor, well done for chugging along.

I wrote 790 words today. Shana's beaten all the demons that came though the wormhole at the cost of destroying the apparatus that might have allowed to get home. So she's stuck on a medieval-style world with people running around trying to summon demons.

One more chapter to go... or it might be a single scene, in which case it will be an epilogue. I'm not sure if I want to do a Star Wars-style victory ceremony: the new queen isn't that well disposed towards Shana because her pet demon got destroyed. So first draft nearly done! :)

I will put it aside for a little while when done and look at another project (not the Sun Queen!)

Keep swimming!

mccardey
03-11-2019, 05:11 AM
Here's a lovely thing (https://jounwin.wordpress.com/2019/03/08/dont-break-the-chain/) my agent posted that one of her clients wrote
My son is collecting Beads of Courage, different coloured beads to represent each step of his treatment and each challenge he faces, telling the story of how far he’s come. I’m collecting days coloured on a chart and words in a document. My son has 289 beads on his thread. I have 206 coloured boxes and fifty-nine thousand words. One foot in front of the other, one day at a time. We’ve got this.

Cindyt
03-11-2019, 09:46 AM
Day 10

Draft - 1201

Research - Reasons a car won’t start. I chose a missing ignition core spring. This actually happened to me. My brother-in-law said somebody had pulled it. Yikes.

Edit - 1 scene. Must have been under the influence of magic mushrooms when I wrote it the first time.

Layla - Another ¼ page!

Keithy - Nice going! I am close to the dash that solves the case, but I don’t have enough words yet to actually end it. I need more than 30k to get to The End. I can’t even make up my mind how Billy, Carolina, Harry, and Albert flee--car or yacht or go boat Hmmm… I’ll just keep pantsing

Taylor Harbin
03-11-2019, 07:20 PM
I only edited two pages this morning, but I finished chapter 5. I had to cross out entire paragraphs and rewrite them by hand, however I think I’ve properly established why the characters have to take this particular course of action instead of doing something else.

Pterofan
03-11-2019, 09:14 PM
Day 10 - 219 words

Going to attempt to write in the library today.

April Swanson
03-12-2019, 12:20 AM
Taylor: Whack those chapters!

Keithy: Go Shana go! It’s just like when Janeway, for the greater good, had to destroy her only means of returning to the Alpha Quadrant (yes I’ll shoehorn a Kathryn Janeway reference into anything).

WGough: Okay you have to share those cookies. There’s a 30 day free trial for Scapple so definitely do that if you’re interested. I do quite like it and think I’ll buy when my trial is up (it’s pretty cheap, too). I’ve been using it to map out chapters. It’s easier to have it split-screen with Scrivener when I’m drafting rather than referring to a notebook.

Layla: 1 page! Awesome sauce :)

Cindyt: Nice counts!

Pterofan: We lose our hour at the end of the month and I’m not looking forward to it :(

3071 words in the bag and most of the next chapter planned (except the really important bit … which I’m hoping will come to me in dreams). I also squeezed in 20 mins on my wee WIP.

Day 11: Decent bit; 7.5 miles; dance back attack

Keithy
03-12-2019, 01:47 AM
Cindyt - good word count as usual - how about bicycles? Or perhaps they hide?

Pterofan - 219 words to the good :)

April - more supersonic writing.

OK, early check-in because I did 595 words today and finished my first draft! It's 63K words, but I think I will add more. We had a power outage and I thought I'd lost today's work but Word saved most of it, phew.

So, Shana's been offered the post of Acting Apprentice Demon Warder. So, you want to be a Jedi?

Just keep swimming swimming swimming

WGough
03-12-2019, 02:45 AM
Day 11
Revised two chapters.

Cindyt: I vote boat. Go, boat, go!

Taylor: Way to fix it!

Pterofan: Nice count. Good luck at the library!

April Swanson: You are on fire! If anyone deserves a cookie... Thanks for the rec.

Keithy: Awesome job! So happy for you. :partyguy: Way to swim!

Layla Nahar
03-12-2019, 05:48 AM
One more chapter, Keithy, wow. Keep on keeping on!
Beautiful 3, Cindy :)
Sounds like some incisive work ;) Taylor
Excellent, Ptero
Dang April. Just dang!
O hai Keithy, nice work again today!
Congrats on revising those two chapters :)

Day 11

WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - sewing! and crafting (hit a bit of a time-sink there, but - oh well)
$$ - logged in to do some more work on the marketing page - found a 'branding error' - I'll have to make a new profile… :p - some performance practice

Cindyt
03-12-2019, 08:07 AM
Day 11

Draft - 746 :Hammer: :rant: I'm using my new laptop from the hell now on.

Research - Foods that cause cancer. Venetian ceiling murals.

Edit - 1 scene

Polish - The poem

April - Wowser!

Gough - The mode of transportation hinges on where I decide they are fleeing to. Two chapters revised is awesome!

Layla - Congrats on half page!

Keithy - There’s a sniper involved, so I don’t think bikes would be very smart. Far as hiding--yeah, but not enough conflict. Great word count! WTG on finishing the first draft!

Writers Digest recommends at least 80,000 words for a novel. Soooo, I just have less than 18k to get there! Woot!

Taylor Harbin
03-12-2019, 07:03 PM
Edited a few more pages, more slash and burn. Now that one character is out of the quest, there's a whole lot of slashing and burning.

April Swanson
03-12-2019, 08:38 PM
Keithy! That’s great news :) Take the time to properly celebrate. Finishing a draft is such a massive achievement.

WGough: Two chaps, woot!

Layla: Yay words and crafts!

Cindyt: Ha, oh dear … technical troubles?! 746 is still awesome though.

Taylor: I’m gonna be doin’ a lot of slashing myself once I’m done with this draft. Great job!

Today was a real slog, what with all the real world shenanigans, but I did drag ma bum to 2938 and then planned the next chapter. This evening I shall work on the wee WIP while watching BBC Parliament because I’m sad and have no life. Wine will be necessary.

Day 12: Decent bit; 5 miles; hamstrung

Pterofan
03-12-2019, 09:32 PM
Day 11 - 183 words
Day 12 - 378 words

I was going so well last week. The time change really threw me off. Yeah, that sounds like a believable excuse. I'll try smaller meal portions and more green veggies, see if that does any good.

April and Keithy - fantastic work! One bag of cookies apiece! Just get someone to supply the milk to dunk them in and you're set.

WGough
03-13-2019, 03:58 AM
Day 12
Revised one chapter.

Layla: Congrats on your 1/2 page!

Cindyt: Sorry for the computer woes! Way to power through.

Taylor: Way to cut!

April: Work, wine, and parliament. Sounds like my kind of evening. Sub CSPAN for parliament.

Pterofan: Nice word counts. Had milk and cookies for breakfast.

Layla Nahar
03-13-2019, 05:11 AM
Excellent stuff Cindy - enjoy the new computer!
Cut, cut, cut Taylor!
(and whoa! How did I miss that that Keithy finished his draft?? WTG K!!!)
April, when I grow up I want to slog like you.
I think you're still going pretty well, Ptero
Nice work, Gough :)

Day 12

WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - sewing (so many UFOs); went to microcenter to get a refurbished computer, but they didn't have the one I wanted in stock. :(
$$ - fixed the problems on the marketing page - & discovered some problems on my own website…

and oh crap - I went to run an errand and my bike repeated a recent problem - can't ride it till I get it fixed

Keithy
03-13-2019, 05:57 AM
Quick drive by - I was choosing another project to work on to clear my head. I haven't decided yet.

Cindyt
03-13-2019, 09:14 AM
Day 12

Draft - 1102

Research - Card access locks

Edit - 2 scenes

April - Desktop kept freezing. Well, you certainly produced. WTG

Gough - WTG on one chapter!

Layla - But I don’t like the new laptop. :tongue I got it for Christmas and can’t get used to to the keyboard. :Shrug: Oh, well. YaY for the half page

ETA: Wasn't my computer that was the problem. It was tech difficulty during a Window's update.

Taylor Harbin
03-13-2019, 07:46 PM
Finished chapter 5 and I am now in chapter 6. Came across another conversation that will have to be either completely cut or severely edited to accommodate the new direction of the story. Looks like I am in for more line by line editing…

April Swanson
03-13-2019, 09:18 PM
Pterofan: You're still getting words down though. My energy is always higher if I eat smaller meals (this rarely happens in practice!).

Cindyt: Yay 1102! Can you undo the update?

Keithy: Yes, give yourself a wee break!

WGough: Dunno about you, but the more I watch politicians the more I want to escape to Federation space. Woohoo for revising one chap! Is this a full sweep or are you targeting story/character/world?

Layla: What are you sewing?! Ah, poor bike :( (But yay 1/2 page!)

BLEH, crappy day. Wrote a whopping 491 words before admitting defeat and returning to the drawing board. This is the price I pay for not doing tons of planning beforehand. I now have just over two weeks to write 37k and finish this draft. HONK!

Day 13: Wee bit; 7 miles; carb me

Pterofan
03-13-2019, 10:04 PM
Drive by because I'm devoting my time to a really long freelance assignment. Also I've been sleeping in because now the sun's coming up later. I had a smaller breakfast (rice and broccoli) and it seems to have worked in the energy department, except now I'm hungry. I want to save the pizza splurge until I finish a draft or something.

WGough - breakfast of champions!

starrystorm
03-13-2019, 10:09 PM
I've been sick lately, so this is a total from a week or so- 364 (long hand and then typed up). Wow, that seemed like a whole lot more than 300.

Keithy
03-14-2019, 03:59 AM
Cindyt - well done for your 1k (again)

April, 491 is progress.

Pterofan - yay pizza

Starrystorm - yay 364

I've chosen a new project to look at for a couple of weeks. It's called "Dancing Shadows" or something like that. I was going to put it in a "Wild West" setting but on reflection I'll be doing a contemporary setting. Which makes world building somewhat easier.

WGough
03-14-2019, 04:12 AM
Day 13
Revised one chapter.

Layla: Congrats on your half page. Sorry to hear of computer and bike woes.

Cindyt: Oh, the joys of the forced Windows updates! Hope all is better.

Taylor Harbin: Way to edit!

April Swanson: You can do it. HONK! It's full sweep. I did a plot revision on this one, but then confused myself when I went back to do the character revision. Ah, the process. Finished Voyager. Really enjoyed the series overall, but was let down by the finale. Tried Enterprise. Pass.

Pterofan: Good luck with the freelancing!

starrystorm: Amazed you can make yourself work while sick. WTG!

Keithy: Good luck with the new project!

Layla Nahar
03-14-2019, 05:19 AM
Hi Keithy - I'm gonna miss Shana, but here's to finding a fun next project
Nice work Cindy. I considered getting a windows laptop. I've had one before, but I've been using macs since forever
WTG with the editing, Taylor
April, that's a good day - we have to let the well fill back up. (Hats and corsets and beach covers)
Ptero - I find that a less full belly means a more productive day
Woohoo Keithy :D
Nice work Gough

Day 13

WIP = 1/4 page - in the Summer Chair! (wearing wool leggings & two pairs of sweats, a fleece, gloves and a down vest, but the summer chair none the less. Morning with the birds!)
R/SC - went to my friend's house & fixed the bike; when I got home, made a big change to my work-space (got all my crafting supplies, tools and UFOs in one place. Things feel different); vacuumed…
$$ - got info about a low-cost solution to my sound-quality problem; found someone to pitch to.

Cindyt
03-14-2019, 08:07 AM
Day 13

Draft - 1378

April - It wasn’t the update, it was the tech difficulty while they were updating. At least you wrote something toward your goal, and I have no doubt you can meet your deadline. Swim, swim, swim.

Gough - It’s fine now. (Knock on wood.) If they would just pop a warning window up. But, no. WTG on the one chapter.

Layla - I thought about getting a Macbook. YaY ¼ page!

Keithy - Good writing on your new project!

I decided my novel may turn out to be a novella. I’m not sure what to think about that, but whatever.

starrystorm
03-14-2019, 04:16 PM
DAY 13- still sick, but managed to edit the beginning of chapter 4. I thought this chapter was going to be easy. But now it just looks like a chaotic mess.

Keithy- ooh, new project.

WGough- I probably shouldn't be, but being cooped up in bed all day makes me want to do anything creative.

Layla- Sure doesn't feel like March, does it?

Cindyt-Just let the story work its own course, because stories can be stubborn when they want to.

Taylor Harbin
03-14-2019, 06:00 PM
Didn’t get much done today. Rewrote and entire page by hand because I didn’t want to lose my train of thought.

April Swanson
03-14-2019, 07:31 PM
Pterofan: Broccoli for breakfast?! You shame me with your healthiness!

WGough: Good grief that was some fast trekkin'! We're still on series 5–though I'm aware the finale is crap and there are some BAD relationship decisions in the final series! (J<3C4eva.) So, how do you think Voy and DS9 compare to the almighty TNG?

Keithy: Ooo I like the title! I hear ye on world building. I wish I could do straight contemporary, but I always insist on some silly magic.

Layla: Summer Chair! :Sun::partyguy: Sounds like you had another super productive day :)

Cindyt: Ach, as someone who's spent far too much time worrying about final word counts, I'd say not to worry about how big it's going to be in the end. 1378 is awesome!

starry: Good luck with that chapter! And get well soon :)

Much better day today–3096 big ones. I am acutely aware how rough this first draft is. Also spent some time with the wee WIP.

Day 14: Decent bit; 5.5 miles; rain/washing fiasco

Pterofan
03-14-2019, 09:59 PM
Day 13 - 189 words
Day 14 - 764 words

The smaller portions appear to have worked. I woke up in the dark and had my word count before sunrise. I'm taking a check-in/grocery break between assaults on the freelance assignment.

Temps are in the 60s today. I have a short-sleeve shirt on!

April - I'm on my own, so I eat whatever I feel like for breakfast. More than once I've started the day with spaghetti. :D Mostly it's grains, like rice or barley. Bananas rule! :banana: Veggies should be a bigger part of my diet, but...well, they just aren't.

Keithy - what about a contemporary Western?

Cindy - Can you set your computer to tell you when updates come in? Mine has that option on the Control Panel. I get a pop-up notice when updates are available and can choose which ones I want to upload. (I'm on a PC with Windows 7)

WGough
03-15-2019, 04:05 AM
Day 14
Revised two chapters. Little else.

Layla: Congrats on the 1/4 page. Yay, summer chair!

Cindyt: Nice word count. It's as long as it needs to be.

starrystorm: Been there. Feel better.

Taylor Harbin: Whatever gets it done!

April Swanson: Yowza, that's some word count! Congrats! Nothing beats TNG, IMO. Voyager was better than DS9. I'm not the target audience for Enterprise. Looking forward to the new Picard series, but I'm a cord cutter, so...Haven't seen any of Discovery.

Pterofan: Nice work!

Layla Nahar
03-15-2019, 04:32 AM
Way to keep on keeping on Cindy
starry, good to see you - congrats on the editing, & sorry to hear you feel sick
Taylor, congrats on keeping at it
Wow April - 3k!!
Nice work Ptero :)
Congrats on the two chapters Gough

Day 14

WIP - 1/4 page
R/SC - continuing the re-arrange/sort & tidy project, & sewing
$$ - started a draft for my pitch project

Keithy
03-15-2019, 04:51 AM
Starrystorm WGough & Taylor - good progress on the editing. I will join your club next month.

Pterofan - not a bad two day average; you can't climb a mountain in one day.

April - talking of mountains, yours would need oxygen to climb to the top.

OK, I've done a bit of character building - who they are, what they are, their job, relations, backstory etc. It's going to be more or less contemporary, alas because the problem the protagonist faces is to do with technology and light.
So, I have an idea of something traumatic in the MC's past, they have a young child and a difficult and dangerous job. The story starts with a task within their job having gone disastrously wrong, and during the next task someone vanishes... which is the catalyst.

And I've given myself till the end of this month to get an outline complete, then work on "the visitor" second draft. A bit unwise, but I've decided that instead of doing nothing as a means of a break between projects, I can carry on doing useful work.

As usual, keep on swimming.

Cindyt
03-15-2019, 07:06 AM
Day 14

Draft - 1597

Edit - 1 CHAPTER

Polish - 29 chapter hit and run.

Research - 1985 gaming console system

Published - Feature article, And So I married Him, in The North Gwinnett Voice.

AaronJKaplan -

Ptero - I was aware of that option, but I could not find where to change. Even the google instructions were wrong. But I figured it out today! Thank you so much! Great two days of drafting!

Starry - Thanks. That’s what I’m going to do. I went back and counted and found that all I need is less than 15k. That’s a whole lot better than 30. Great going while you’re sick. Get better soon!

April - Well, if it’s not words, it’s chapters. Parts used to hound me until I ran across a site that said, Don’t use parts unless there’s a drastic change in location.”
So, I’m over my parts craze. 3096 is fab!

Taylor Harbin
03-15-2019, 05:14 PM
Very little progress made, probably 300 new words written at the most. Hopefully the next scene will flow easier.

Pterofan
03-15-2019, 09:16 PM
Working on the assignment today. With luck, I'll scribble something this evening. I seem to hopscotch -- a day or two of satisfactory word counts, followed by a crash and burn. Forget the veggies, I'm going to start drinking soda again.

Cindy - glad I could help

April Swanson
03-15-2019, 10:24 PM
Pterofan: Nice! I love it when I get my words in really early.

WGough: Two chaps is good though! I’m wary of the new Picard series … the bar is set very high! Voyager might be squeaking past TNG for me, but it’s a close-run thing. I love them both :)

Layla: Yay 1/4 page and all other bits and pieces!

Keithy: Sounds like you have a very solid plan indeed. Good luck with the new project.

Cindyt: Hm, 1985 … was that the NES? (1597! Awesome stuff!)

Taylor: You got 300 words more than me!

I had to listen to my gut today and take another day to plan instead of drafting. The right story is somewhere in those 46,000 words …

Day 15: Decent bit; 5 miles; pen jackpot

WGough
03-16-2019, 04:33 AM
Day 15
Revised one chapter.

Layla: Congrats on the 1/4 page. I admire your tidy!

Keithy: Way to plan!

Cindyt: Nice quartet! Congrats on the pub.

Taylor: Better than no progress!

Pterofan: Hopscotch in a mine field.

April Swanson: Love your attitude. Just finished the first season of Expanse. Seen it?

Have a great weekend, folks!

starrystorm
03-16-2019, 04:41 AM
DAY 15: Wrote 507 words (both long hand and then typed, so more like 1,014 words.)

I'm attempting to do this chapter out of order. The few organizational pieces of my mind are freaking out. But I know what's best.

Pterofan-Hopscotch. That pretty much describes my current state too.

April-Sometimes planning is the best path, especially when drafting get tricky.

WGough-I wish I had your attitude towards editing.

Layla Nahar
03-16-2019, 04:44 AM
Keithy - do you think being on this thread has given you the 'bump' to keep working between projects?
Cindy - whoa! it's a five-day for you - everything and pubbing - nice!
Taylor, that's what it's been like for me for over a year now...
Working *and* scribbling - very nice, Ptero
April - sounds like a good lead to follow. (I really liked Voyager - didn't like it at first but I watched it anyway because Star Trek - but it's real neck and neck for me between TNG & V)
Gough - I still have a long way to go - first, manage the UFOs - then get back to the unhoarding - congrats on that revision
starry! congrats on all those words :)

Day 15

WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - started the day with errands, then some cooking; some sewing & tidying, then ballet
$$ - gathering info to update my portfolio

Keithy
03-16-2019, 05:43 AM
Ohh Cindy great 1597 words there. Staying off the drink seems to be helping...

April - remember, building blocks can be reused. I've done that enough, drawing from my "oddments" file.

Starrystorm - out of order chapters? Brave.

Layla - yes, it has. And the realisation that if I want to call myself a writer, I need to write.

Hat doffings to the editing club.

Ok, I've got an outline of an outline for the events for "Dancing Shadows". I've used a 12-beat system and filled in events and titles of scenes. Next are some character sheets. I've half-done the protagonist, but not her ex-girlfriend and the antagonist who's a corporate sales guy selling dodgy technology. Do I need to worry about a 4/5 year old kid? I am wondering if I should develop this to first draft then go back to "The Visitor". Bless Shana and her six-chambered heart.

Keep swimming sailing trucking or any other mode of transport preferred.

Cindyt
03-16-2019, 08:03 AM
Day 15

Drive by because I’m exhausted from being out of town.

Ptero - You are too kind.

April - Nintendo. Good planning!

Layla - WTG on half page!

Keithy - Great planning!

Taylor Harbin
03-16-2019, 04:20 PM
Did a lot of skipping today. Six whole pages have to be rewritten for better tension and flow. Things that were not established previously are causing the plot to snag (character wardrobe, names, unit dynamics, rationale for their actions, etc). At least I won’t have to do a painstaking line-by-line.

Pterofan
03-16-2019, 08:56 PM
Day 15 - 125 words

We're maybe three days away from spring and this morning's weather report says we might get a bit of snow on Monday morning. Maybe flurries, maybe a coating, but still. Bleh. I may have to eat pizza.

Cindyt
03-17-2019, 08:06 AM
Day 16

Draft - 1131

Edit - 1 scene

Research - 1985 kids weekday morning TV

Taylor - But at least you have something to rewrite. Good on you for staying in there!

Ptero - Eat a slice for me!

Pterofan
03-17-2019, 11:46 PM
Day 16 - 290 words. They finished a chapter, hooray! Still slaving away on the freelance work, which is due tomorrow. Maybe by then I'll know what happens in the next chapter. :tongue

Keithy
03-18-2019, 01:47 AM
Taylor & Cindy - sending copious hat doffings for your efforts.
Pterofan - good, good - like me, it takes a little while to work out what happens next. Pizza I like too.

I've been fiddling around with the outline to "Shadow Dance" and doing research. Here's the downside to real-world writing: I need to get details on rape counselling, PTSD, and child custody hearings. Not things I have experience of, and thankfully so. As for the plot: someone's invented these things that act as night lights and baby monitors. And... they're not quite as innocent as they sound.

Just keep swimming swimming swimming :)

PS

Cindy - say hello to your puppy from me. Did I say I like puppies?

WGough
03-18-2019, 02:55 AM
Day 17
Revised two chapters.

starrystorm: Nice word count. Sounds like you've figured out what works for you! Kudos.

Layla: Congrats on the half page!

Keithy: Way to plan!

Cindyt: Sounds like you rested up quick and got back to it!

Taylor Harbin: Congrats on catching those snags.

Pterofan: Snow and pizza sounds ideal.

Have a great week, everybody!

Layla Nahar
03-18-2019, 03:00 AM
Hey all - very tired this weekend - drive by, sry

Day 17

WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - crafting, earning service
$$ - skip day

Day 16

WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - earning service
$$ - gathering material for my pitch

Cindyt
03-18-2019, 08:25 AM
Day 17

Draft - 1144

Edit - 2 scenes

Research - Pipe bombs

Ptero - WTG on the word count that finished a chapter!

Gough - Revising two chapters is awesome!

Layla - WTG on half page

Keithy - Good research! I’ll say hey to Harry for you.

Pterofan
03-18-2019, 06:38 PM
Day 17 - 171 words

Finally got the assignment done and out the door. No snow! Unless it was flurries and I missed them.

Back to writing my series out of order. When you're a pantser, just writing a series is life on the edge. :hat:

April Swanson
03-19-2019, 12:02 AM
WGough: Yay for three chapters! No, I haven’t seen Expanse. Would you recommend? I’ll need some good sci-fi to fill the Voyager hole in my life when I reach the end :(

starrystorm: Great word count! I feel the same way about writing out of order … my gut says it’s the right thing to do, but my organised brain does not like it.

Layla: 1 1/2 pages! I dusted down my old NYC ballet workout book at the weekend. I spent most of the time goggling at the pictures, to be honest. Those dancers are super-human.

Keithy: Very impressive planning. Ha, I love ‘oddments’! I usually have ‘explorations’, to trick me into thinking all the wrong-turns are part of the grand adventure :D

Taylor: Sounds like you’ve got a good handle on what needs to be sorted.

Pterofan: Yay for finishing a chapter!

Cindyt: Wooft, 2275 and three scenes! Awesome sauce.

Still in planning mode, but I’ll get back to drafting tomorrow. I know how this book ends and begins, but the middle is still swampy. So I’m gonna try something new and write backwards from the end. I’m sure absolutely nothing will go wrong.

Day 18: Decent bit; 7 miles; CAPTAIN MARVEL!

WGough
03-19-2019, 03:08 AM
Day 18
Revised one chapter

Layla: Nice half-page. Recharge!

Cindyt: Way to draft-edit-research!

Pterofan: Nice word count. Welcome back to the edge!

April: Wow, writing backwards. I like it! The Expanse is darker than Trek, more political, violent. It starts out a little slow, and has its problems, but by the middle of the first season, I was interested. Curious what you'd make of it.

We made it through Monday!

Keithy
03-19-2019, 04:18 AM
Pterofan - still out of order? ah, 171 is good.

April - ha ha wobbly middle!

I've finished plotting out "Shadow Dance" and will put it aside for later. Also read about what a vice squad detective does.
I started plotting another project "Universe Shifting". It's a parallel universe thing.

I've also drawn a rough map for "The Visitor". Gawd that map looks terrible though, and I spilled water on it, which didn't help. I also worked out some names of people and places. :)

keep swim swims

Layla Nahar
03-19-2019, 04:19 AM
Hey Cindy - sometimes i wonder about the research I do - I feel like I have to put the caveat 'Dear Government Spies - I am actually a writer' in the search field… Congrats on the productive day as usual.

Ha! Once more into the breach Ptero ;D

Yah, April - ballet will kick your ass. & wow on the new writing adventure (if we did stuff the same all the time we'd get stultified (I think that's a real word)

Congrats on that revision Gough (oh wow its only monday?)

Day 18

WIP - ~3/4 page :D
R/SC - sewing, moved furniture and vacuumed, a wee bit of re-arranging (one idea wasn't great, I'll put it back tomorrow)
$$ - did some research about another online market

Layla Nahar
03-19-2019, 04:21 AM
yikes how did I do it? I missed Keithy again! - that sounds like a fun & productive day, K :)

Cindyt
03-19-2019, 07:06 AM
Day 18

Draft - 1077

Edit - 3 scenes

April - Huh? :tongue

Gough - Good revisions!

Layla - I know! It never fails I’ll be researching how to poison someone or the pipe bomb and I’ll be thinking “What Big Bro must be thinking!” Lol. At least if they show up at the door I have proof of a need to know these things.

Pterofan
03-19-2019, 09:19 PM
Day 18 - 184 words

More news from the pantser world: That character in book 3, who was supposed to be a one-page cameo nod to Buffy, is turning into an important secondary character. She started out Latina but now she's Hawaiian. She's in Texas because there are more monsters on the mainland. She'll be getting her own story once the series wraps.

Keithy - yep, still out of order. The first book stalled on me, I think because I wanted to write these other characters because they're so much more fun (see previous paragraph). This was going to be a standalone until I figured out where it fits in the overall story and made it part of the series. Book 2, the one in between, barely even has a plot yet. Pantsers should never write a closed series without some kind of strict supervision.

April Swanson
03-19-2019, 11:27 PM
WGough: Hm, I might give it a chance. Thanks for the rec. Woo for another chap! You must be closing in on this round of revision?

Keithy: Wobbly middles are the bane of my existence, on and off the page. You’ve certainly got lots of pots on the burner! Map pro tip: spill tea or coffee on it, then it will look all olde worldy.

Layla: Thank you for introducing a new word to my vocabulary :D Yay for 3/4 page! I love rearranging furniture.

Cindyt: 1k + three scenes! Very productive indeed.

Pterofan: I am in awe of your pantsing process!

Well, I wrote the final chapter today, which ended up being much shorter than I’d envisaged—more a final scene, than a chapter—but it was actually really satisfying. I’m now planning the final ‘chunk’, for want of a better word, and I’ll hopefully get it doon on the page in the next few days. Not a chance I’m hitting 80k by the end of March, but I’ll be happy with 60 odd (sitting at 46).

Day 19: Wee bit; 4 miles; roll pain

Taylor Harbin
03-20-2019, 01:00 AM
No work done in two days. My interest in the novel has been sapped by a historical project. I feel quite ashamed of myself.

starrystorm
03-20-2019, 01:30 AM
I've been too sick to write these last few days. Stomach bug. Bleh.

Pterofan
03-20-2019, 02:04 AM
Starry - been there, done that. Pepto-Bismol and I are old buddies.

If you haven't yet, try the BART diet - bananas, apples, rice and toast. These are inoffensive foods and might stay in your tummy. I've substituted "tea" for "toast" because I hardly ever have bread in the house any more.

starrystorm
03-20-2019, 02:15 AM
Starry - been there, done that. Pepto-Bismol and I are old buddies.

If you haven't yet, try the BART diet - bananas, apples, rice and toast. These are inoffensive foods and might stay in your tummy. I've substituted "tea" for "toast" because I hardly ever have bread in the house any more.

Thanks. I knew about the toast (my diet all day...), but not the others.

Cindyt
03-20-2019, 02:27 AM
Now I want toast. Lol.

Layla Nahar
03-20-2019, 04:53 AM
he he Cindy - I think 'need to know' is kind of an ominous phrase ;) Congrats on the 1.8K and the revising
Ptero, congrats on the 184 - nice about that character ;)
Very nice, April
Enjoy that break Taylor
oh my, starry - feel better soon!

Day 19

WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - still sewing! & tidying.
$$ - stared work on a redesign of my homepage.

Keithy
03-20-2019, 05:33 AM
Pterofan - 184 words better than zero.
Taylor, Mercury is in retrograde. Don't sweat it, it'll turn forwards again soon.
Starrystorm - get well soon.

Well well... what have I been doing today? It was a bit of a struggle at first, then I more or less completed an outline plot for "Universe Shifting".

But before that, I woke dreaming about "The Sun Queen". And after the above, I started plotting it on the 12-beat plot sheet I've used twice this week already. I don't know if you know about this, but it's an epic with multiple viewpoint characters that I tried to write a couple of years ago and gave up on. I think I was too afraid to start again. But I did, pretending that I was starting afresh using 12 beat plot outline. So far it has turned out a bit trite... but it might work.

We'll see.

Swim swim swim

Cindyt
03-20-2019, 08:14 AM
Day 19

Draft - 1052

Edit - 3 scenes

Starry - Get better soon!

April - Feels good to finish a chapter, doesn’t it?

Layla - It is spooky. It’s like if they told you, they’d have to kill you. Lol. Your comment reminded me of when I asked a DEA agent about simple tactics and operations, and he replied “That’s basked on a need to know.” That’s the reason I created my own secret law enforcement agency, DEADco, where I make the rules. At least he was honest. The FBI flat out lied when they said no federal agents had died in the line of duty in decades, when I knew for certain that DEA Agent Enrique “Kiki” Camarena was kidnapped and tortured and murdered by the Guadalajara Cartel in 1985.

WTG on the half page!

April Swanson
03-20-2019, 04:27 PM
Taylor: Two days is nothing--the interest will come back.

starrystorm: Get well soon!

Layla: Show that blank page who's boss :)

Keithy: Exciting! Some projects need lots of time to stew before they're ready.

Cindyt: Woo! Great job.

News just in: Writing a book is really hard.

I'm continuing to write backwards … got 1642 today. I had to stop when I started waffling, so I now need to pause and figure more stuff out before drafting again. My brain feels mushy.

Day 20: Decent bit; 7 miles; perfect pastry

AaronJKaplan
03-20-2019, 06:38 PM
I haven't been on here in a couple weeks, but I have published a blog post on all but two of those days, when I was out of town for a wedding. The response on my blog is awesome, and my mind feels much more clear when ideas aren't piling up unpublished.

It's proving to be difficult to keep up with this thread while only checking on it once a week, which hopefully means you all are staying busy!

Pterofan
03-20-2019, 07:37 PM
Day 19 - 389 words

Sounds like everyone's having fun plotting, so I gave it a shot last night and did some short-term plotting on paper. I sort of know where the story's going now, at least for the next two chapters. My biggest problem has the MMC, who needs some shut-eye, finding a way to keep the FMC from ducking out on him. He can't tie her up or handcuff her to the bathroom sink because she's a snake shifter and will just change and slither off. I think I have an idea that's funny, gets the job done and is socially acceptable, and will also advance the romance. Snake Woman and Hawaiian Girl are not the same character, by the way. Though I may have just come up with a superhero team.

Starry - good luck and get better. That food list is also known at the BRAT diet. I changed the letters around because I like The Simpsons.

Taylor Harbin
03-20-2019, 10:51 PM
Managed a few pages this morning. I think my excitement and nervousness about the other projects went to my head. I should be able to finish out this first pass.

WGough
03-21-2019, 01:27 AM
Day 19
No words. Not feeling well.

Day 20
Revised one scene.

Sorry for the drive-by.

Keithy
03-21-2019, 03:51 AM
Cindy & April - good progress as usual.

Well done to all the revisers out there.

I've been doing some plotting and planning on "The Sun Queen" again and started the same for "Burning Sky".

More to do, but not wanting to start work properly.

swim swim :)

Layla Nahar
03-21-2019, 04:28 AM
Nice work on the drafting & editing, Cindy :)
Congrats on the 16K, April & hope that's a productive unfogging time
Nice work Aaron
A snake shifter. Wow! & wtg on the 389 :D
Congrats on those pages, Taylor
Gough - I hope you are feeling better soon. Rest wll, & glad you managed a scene today.
Keithy - maybe you still need a little bit of break-time?

Day 20

WIP - 3/4 page
R/SC - went to look for a new (well, used) computer again; sewing
$$ - some indy research, more work on my home-page

Cindyt
03-21-2019, 01:49 PM
Day 20

Draft - 1392

Polish - 1 scene

Research - The Coast Guard

April - Great word count

Gough - Good revisions!

Layla - ¾ page! Woot!

Keithy - Good plotting!

Billy, Carolina, and Harry are gearing up to run. Destination - a fortress in The Exumas, where he will leave them and go back to Miami for the showdown. I’m dithering about letting Harry go with him. Mode of travel - wanted to take the cigarette boat, but the water is much too choppy out that way for the boy and the dog’s safe travel. So they will go via the yacht, and Billy plans to return to the Shining City on the go boat--but do they make it to the fortress? What's the fun of that? A mano a mano with the villain on the deeps is in the works.

Pterofan
03-21-2019, 10:07 PM
Day 20 - a little over half a page longhand. 200-250 words, maybe.

Had a flash of inspiration this morning that'll add some spice to the series. In a future book, one character gets rejected by the woman he loves because...well, the way I imagined him, he's a major dick. And the woman, as I imagined her, just can't fall in love with a major dick. So the guy goes to her grandfather, the Alpha of the coyote clan, to learn how to be a better person. However, it occurred to me that if I write this in just the right way, it'll look like he's gone to the head bad guy to betray his whole family instead. That ought to drive the readers nuts until I clear everything up in a sequel. Maybe there's something to this plotting stuff after all.

April Swanson
03-21-2019, 10:41 PM
Aaron: Glad to hear you got such a good response!

Pterofan: For what it’s worth, I wish I were a hardcore pantster like you :) Nice work getting 600+ words on top of plotting.

Taylor: Nice work.

WGough: Hug! Feel better soon.

Keithy: I think it’s a good idea to give yourself a decent wee break from actual drafting … And all that plotting is still proper work!

Layla: 3/4 page! Awesome sauce. Hope you find a new computer pal :)

Cindyt: Another great day! You’re so consistent … I feel very lazy in comparison!

Bleh, had no energy today at all and got distracted by news rubbish half-way through my writing block. Was my fault for peeking at my phone. Anyway, I did figure out one of the main plot threads; now I’ve got to keep threading them together. My head hurts.

Day 21: Wee bit; 5 miles; pizza denial :(

Keithy
03-22-2019, 03:13 AM
Layla - good luck with the computer hunt.

Pterofan - well done for the maybe :)

I did a bit more plotting on the Sun Queen - nothing more than a few words, and some more for Burning Sky. For the latter, I did some research on the interaction between the Moon and the Earth's magnetic field. Fascinating.

keep swimmming

WGough
03-22-2019, 03:52 AM
Day 21
Revised half a chapter.

Keithy: Way to research and plot!

Layla: Congrats on your 3/4 page!

Cindyt: Nice details and tension!

Pterofan: Great ideas!

April Swanson: Way to connect those dots! I'm with you on the low-energy front.

Tomorrow be Friday!

Layla Nahar
03-22-2019, 06:30 AM
Nice work on that 3, Cindy
Ptero - sounds interesting! & congrats on the ~250 :)
April - I had no focus today at all. Congrats on yer wee bit, that's better than nowt.
Congrats on that work Keithy
Way to go Gough - I hope you're feeling a better :)

Day 21 - Spring has arrived!

WIP - 1/2 page - (still deep in Sanderson's First Law territory)
R/SC - a nap; sewing (unfinished sewing projects are my #1 category of things I can't actually use taking up space. It doesn't help that I keep starting new ones… (well, I have still managed to reduce the total number of projects - thought I have one project that's bringing me hard up against the Sunk Cost Fallacy…) )
$$ - indy research; more work on the web page - new content

Cindyt
03-22-2019, 09:41 AM
Day 21

Draft - 1035

Polish - Article, The April Fool.

Research - April Fools’ day. Menopause. Yacht parts.

April - It will all iron out.

Gough - WTG on revisions. My sister has been babysitting her grands since Monday while her daughter and SIL went cruising to Mexico. She’ll be home Friday evening. Her mean rabbit-tailed cat will be overjoyed. I am looking forward to the dinner she better the hella bring me from anywhere. ;)

Layla - Congrats on the half page. I made nine quilts one year and have barely threaded a needle since.

The Museum of Buford curator has given me permission to use any historical photos they have for my articles, because “Everybody loves your stories and can’t wait for the next publication.”

On the crime novel front. When two identical twin sisters disappear, Billy finds evidence linking them to the other missing women. He has no idea who or why exactly, but he realizes the killer is abducting his ex girlfriends, and he zooms to his yacht and Carolina, who is now his ex. They set out unaware that the killer is hiding in the hold.

Problem solved - Billy’s companionway glass is bulletproof, and the locks cannot be breached. So, I had a moment wondering how the killer got in. :idea: And then it all came together.

Taylor Harbin
03-22-2019, 04:14 PM
Got through Chapter 9. Only 40-something pages left!

Pterofan
03-22-2019, 08:11 PM
Day 20 (revised) - after I actually counted the longhand, it turned out to be 307, more than I expected. Yay, me!
Day 21 - 246 words

In an attempt to up my word count, I decided this morning I'm not going to watch any TV at all for the entire weekend. Well, other than Jeopardy. I will not abandon Alex Trebek in his time of crisis. I've given myself permission to watch DVDs but I probably won't. There's nothing on TV right now anyway except basketball, and movies I've already seen.

Cindy - Lookit you! You have a fan base! :snoopy:

April Swanson
03-22-2019, 09:26 PM
Keithy: Cool research.

WGough: *sends jolt of magical energy*

Layla: Yay, spring and words!

Cindyt: 1k, woo! And that’s so awesome about the museum!

Taylor: You can do it!

Pterofan: Yay you! I sometimes wonder what I’d get done if I didn’t have TV or internet …

Still planning … still lethargic. I really dislike not having words to draft, but there’s no point me writing for the sake of it. Anyhoo, I mapped out more broad strokes and worked on the plan for the first chapter. TFI Friday.

Day 22: Wee bit; 3 miles; WINE

WGough
03-23-2019, 03:11 AM
Day 22
Revised half a chapter. Butter chicken!

Layla: Congrats on that half page!

Cindyt: Kudos on the kudos! Chilling description.

Taylor: Nearly there!

Pterofan: Yay you!

April: Thanks for the jolt! Back at ya! WINE.

Have a great weekend, folks.

Keithy
03-23-2019, 03:52 AM
Cindyt - oh, that's a nice mystery!
Pterofan - good progress.
April - greetings, fellow planner!

OK I've done a tiny bit of planning on yet another story idea "Super Secret Agent". I have half an idea for a whacky superweapon and a McGuffin to control it... but my problem is I've never read a spy novel let alone written one. I'll have to leave it as is for now. Anyway, I'll be looking at "the visitor" again this time next week. Hello again, Shana.

Keep on swimming :)

Layla Nahar
03-23-2019, 05:19 AM
Cindy - it sounds like you're a pantser too
Woohoo Taylor!
Ptero, congrats on those words & hope it's a satisfying weekend :)
Excellent, April :)
Keep up the good work Gough
Keithy - same, but for me it's a murder mystery

Day 22

WIP - 3/4 page
R/SC - ballet
$$ - indy project

Cindyt
03-23-2019, 09:19 AM
Drive by due to being in conference all day. This is going to happen now and then.

Pterofan
03-23-2019, 08:18 PM
Day 22 - 139 words? Something like that. I counted the words this morning but I forgot.

I just found out Supernatural's ending with season 15. That means I'll be cutting cable after the finale next spring. I'm not sure what it means for my one pen name, since her M/M romance output is mainly thinly-disguised Destiel. I need to find two new guys to obsess over, stat.

Watched Jeopardy last night. That was it. The TV has not been on today.

WGough
03-24-2019, 03:50 AM
Day 23
Revised one chapter. Drafted 651 words.

Keithy: Nice brainstorming!

Layla: Congrats on your 3/4 page.

Pterofan: Nice word count.

Keithy
03-24-2019, 06:55 PM
Forgot to post yesterday, but then I didn't do much apart from deciding that I wasn't happy about the plot of "The Visitor" (Aka Shana's tale). Not enough interpersonal conflict; I have interconnected scenes rather than plot.

I can reuse quite a lot of what I have, though.

Cindyt
03-24-2019, 10:20 PM
Day 23

Draft - 1242

Edit - Article

Polish - Article

Submission - Feature article, The April Fool to the Voice.

Pterofan
03-24-2019, 10:27 PM
Day 22 (revised count) - 190 words. Well, I was right about a 1 and a 9 being in it ...
Day 23 - 372 words
Day 24 - 659 words, could be more later

The TV remains dark. I find myself reading instead of writing. I may tune in for Bar Rescue tonight at 10 unless I go to bed early.

WGough
03-25-2019, 12:26 AM
Day 24
Revised one scene.

Keithy: I'm in the same boat. Revise, revise, revise.

Cindyt: Hitting the essentials!

Pterofan: Nice drafting! And way to stay off the TV.

Have a great week!

Keithy
03-25-2019, 02:55 AM
Ooh Pterofan that is a serious word count.

Nothing much at all today - mowed the back lawn; more gardening needing to be done.

I'll be going to England to see my mother tomorrow, back late Thursday.

Keep on swimming or sailing.

Cindyt
03-25-2019, 10:11 AM
Day 24

Draft - 1431

Edit - 3 scenes. 2 drafts of the next Voice article, yet to be titled.

Research - Tendering a go boat to a yacht. Stem to stern vs. slip docking. Sinking a body.

Ptero - Nice word count!

A bit over 2k and I’ll be done with the first draft of the crime novel! :snoopy:

Billy, Carolina, Albert, and Harry are skedaddling across the deep blue sea. The killer’s in the hold. I’m going to drop some hints. Billy and Carolina are trying to mend their relationship. Revelations on both sides. Carolina tells him she’s pregnant. It’s his baby, but she keeps that information to herself when he says “Did Eddy know?” That is, Detective Eugene Eddy who was snipped on the dock outside Billy’s yacht. Eddy and Carolina had a platonic relationship, but Billy thinks it was sexual.

April Swanson
03-25-2019, 03:44 PM
WGough: Woo revision and words!

Keithy: And so the revision begins :)

Layla: 3/4 page! I’d also love to write a murder mystery, but I’m too intimidated by Agatha Christie!

Cindyt: 1241 and 1431! Crackin’ stuff.

Pterofan: Oh wow, I’m so impressed by your TV ban! Great work, too.

Over the weekend I had some big brainwaves above this book, which were exciting but kinda daunting ... Still no words (sigh) but I’m quietly optimistic I’m nudging the characters and plot in the right direction. WRITING IS HARD!

Day 25: Decent bit; 6 miles; happy sausage

Taylor Harbin
03-25-2019, 04:22 PM
Made it to page 330. The end is in sight. Ready to be done with this pass of edits and take a break from the novel.

starrystorm
03-25-2019, 05:09 PM
Well, I'm back. After a horrible spring break of the stomach bug, then when that was gone, really bad allergies. Now I'm back at school. Opened my laptop to two inchworms. Or they might have been the same since I threw the first one on the ground and then another appeared a few minutes later. It's not like I even keep food in my bag except heartburn medication.

Anyway, enough rambling.

DAY 24: I finished editing chapter 4 and chapter five seems just as messy.

Cindyt-Yay for almost done. And a huge pat on the back from me. I would think writing a crime novel would be impossibly hard.

April- Keep nudging and something will break in the right direction.

Taylor- Good job for making it to end. Take a break. I complain when my books just 250 pages.

Auteur
03-25-2019, 06:41 PM
I heard Stephen King say in an interview that he writes about 10 pages a day, which means about 3,000 words/day. That's a lot.

I'm going to shoot for 2,000 words per day.

Pterofan
03-25-2019, 09:50 PM
Day 25 - only about 160 words so far. When I'm done here I'll get back to it, unless I pick up some paid work.

Finally turned the TV back on around 7:30 Sunday night. The first thing on the screen was a commercial. I flipped around a bit, watched The Simpsons, found a weather report, and turned it off again. Two hours later I watched Bar Rescue and went to bed.

Upshot: Skipping TV doesn't result in more writing. I spent most of my weekend reading, and took a couple of aimless drives around the countryside because the weather was nice. So TV isn't the problem. Brain is. Brain just doesn't feel like working. Brain and I will have to have a talk.

I think I can ease out of evening TV (except for Supernatural and Jeopardy) and cut out morning TV altogether. I might go TV-less again next weekend. It isn't like it's going to change my word count, though it might get me out of the house. Maybe I can find a nice park bench and write outside or something.

Taylor Harbin
03-25-2019, 11:42 PM
Seriously thinking about giving up fiction for awhile.

WGough
03-26-2019, 02:47 AM
Day 25
Revised half a scene.

Keithy: It's that time of year.

Cindyt: Nearly there!

April: Be loudly optimistic! I fully support your writing is hard claim.

Taylor: Wow, you're almost done. Time for a well-earned break!

Auteur: Do whatever works for you! Good luck and :welcome:

Pterofan: Writing on a park bench sounds amazing!

starrystorm
03-26-2019, 04:19 AM
DAY 25: Wrote about 600 words on my survival novel.
Finally got around to planning the world of my sci-fi novel. I'm not sure yet if it's torture or amazing.
Started working on chapter 5, but got stumped on one of side characters (FMC's BFF). I was going to take her out of this chapter, but she doesn't show up a lot in the story and she turns out to be a traitor in the end, so I want the readers to know how important she was to the FMC before she turned bad. So she might just stay. I don't know.

Aueter- Then again, Steven King writes for a living. Welcome.
Pterofan- Good job.
WGough- Good job,

Layla Nahar
03-26-2019, 05:27 AM
Sorry all, I checked out over the weekend. & I'm going to driveby tonight, I hope you'll accept my apologies

WIP 3/4 page - 1st Law struggle continues
R/SC - some tidying, some sewing
$$ - indy project (writing exercise)

xenylic
03-26-2019, 06:11 AM
Super rocky month for me. School and some personal problems put me on hold for writing for all of March.

Thankfully, I returned after spring break today with a fresh attitude. Got 1,000 words done for my book and another 437 for homework. Also, put to bed my last midterm, thank god.

My goal for the last week of March is just run away with 4k and try and just have fun with writing again. Had a really crummy drought where my fire kinda burned out, so wanna make that a priority.

Hope everyone else is doing well for themselves.

Cindyt
03-26-2019, 10:37 AM
Day 25

Draft - 1188

Polish - 3 scenes and a buncha search and replace

Taylor - I gave up fiction for a time when I started writing nonfiction articles for The North Gwinnett Voice. But my stories and the characters would not give me peace until I took it up again. You know what? Writing nonfiction sharpened my ability to write fiction. Good luck!

Auteur - :hi: King has said that he writes at least 1,000 words per day, but I always figured he wrote a lot more.

Starry - Welp, this crime novel was hard to start. I just could not hit the that snappy first line groove, but when I did, it just fell into place. My biggest problem is sitting down and doing it. I hate schedules. But I did it thanks to you guys.

April - Good writing!

Gough - Good revisions!

I am over 1/3 through the last chapter. I can’t believe it! :snoopy:

The ScareCrow is five miles out to sea. A DEADco copter is on the way to pick up a bad boy Billy blew to hell before they set out. Harry and Albert are fast asleep in their locked stateroom--Albert’s idea. Billy and Carolina fight, which turns into talk about what’s going on, which leads to sex. The Killer’s in the hold. Higgledy piggtedy pop.

Excuse me while I go eat donuts.

Taylor Harbin
03-26-2019, 02:52 PM
Day 25

Draft - 1188

Polish - 3 scenes and a buncha search and replace

Taylor - I gave up fiction for a time when I started writing nonfiction articles for The North Gwinnett Voice. But my stories and the characters would not give me peace until I took it up again. You know what? Writing nonfiction sharpened my ability to write fiction. Good luck!

Thanks. It seems there is more opportunity in non-fiction, and since I’m a historian, it’s odd I’ve never tried writing for publication before. I’m not a PhD or an expert on any particular thing, but I’ll give it a try.

April Swanson
03-26-2019, 08:48 PM
Taylor: Sounds like you’re in need of a break. Non fic sounds like a great option.

starrystorm: Glad you’re feeling better and back at it!

Auteur: Welcome! In On Writing he recommends 2k a day. I think we should all take what he—or any other author—says with a massive dose of salt :)

Pterofan: But reading and aimless driving are much better for creativity than watching random TV. I think you’ll definitely notice positive changes.

WGough: Woo, half scene!

Layla: Apology accepted :) Yay 3/4 page!

xenylic: Oh, I know the feeling. Hopefully you’ll relight that fire soon enough.

Cindyt: YAY!

Wasn’t focused today at all (spent most of my writing time looking at rescue dogs), but I did answer some big questions about the plot. I’m not sure how to proceed … I think I’ll make a table with all the plot threads and try to cobble together a rough outline.

Day 26: Wee bit; 4.5 miles; woof woof

Pterofan
03-26-2019, 09:16 PM
Opened up a new file this morning and discovered the margins were wonky. The sides were okay, but the top and bottom margins had disappeared. The Page Layout toolbar insisted normal margins were in place. I couldn't figure out where the problem was. Luckily I found an article on Google that fixed the problem in seconds. You have to go into Word Options, click on Display, and click the "Show white space between pages" box and everything snaps back to normal. I had a similar problem happen with proofreading, when Word stopped showing me spelling and grammar errors. The computer appears to do this on its own, whenever it feels like it. Did Skynet take over the system and nobody told me? Has the Rise of the Evil Machines already begun?

But never mind that. Yay, Cindy! Woo-hoo, donuts!

WGough
03-27-2019, 02:44 AM
Day 26
Finished revising a difficult scene. One chapter to go.

starrystorm: Torture! Nice word count.

Layla: Congrats on the 3/4 page!

xenylic: Way to come back. Yes to having fun!

Cindyt: Yes to donuts and finishing your first draft!

April: Cobble, cobble, cobble. Then cobbler.

Pterofan: I had something similar happen in Scrivener with the Binder and Inspector disappearing. Panic! Glad you got it worked out.

Layla Nahar
03-27-2019, 05:27 AM
Xen - good to see you. Congrats on getting back to writing & on that 1K :)
Cindy - nice work as usual
April - congrats on getting those plot questions answered. (If you get a dog give it lots of cuddles & petting & cheese from me please)
You need to get out more, Ptero - Skynet took over a while ago
Congrats on the scene revision, Gough, and on getting closer to the end

Day 26

WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - sewing & binge reading
$$ - some web-page work

xenylic
03-27-2019, 05:45 AM
Did some more good stuff today. Finished some assigned reading, wrote another 1.1k words today, and trying my best to smoothly glide to the weekend.

I've got some workshop reading I need to do for tomorrow, but one piece is way longer than it should be, and that really threw me off my steady workload. I'm planning on getting through my other classmate's pieces first and hope thing will work out.

Also, bailed on some much-needed exercising today, but at least I supplemented it with some relaxing gaming time.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys!

Cindyt
03-27-2019, 08:56 AM
Day 26

Draft - 1024

Edit - 3 scenes

Ptero - I had trouble with my side margins whooping out of proportion and could not fix them. So, I uninstalled and reinstalled last year.

April - Good luck cobbling!

Gough - One chapter to go--sweet!

Layla - Yah for half a page!

starrystorm
03-27-2019, 04:50 PM
DAY 26- *250 words on my survival novel
*(Futuristic UF) Edited chapters 5, 6, but got stuck near the end of chapter 7 and just might have to rewrite the last fourth of it. On this draft (draft 4) I'm only fixing the big things. Then edit five (have the computer read it to me), then betas. I feel so close to the end that I can almost taste it.

Also, I'm sick again. Three weeks of different illnesses. I mean, I know my immune system is attacking itself (due to lupus), but come on. Going to the doctor today for a sneeze, burning eyes, and a headache.

Cindyt- I like how you count your edits by scenes and not chapters. It might make me feel more productive if I did that.

xenylic- ugh, I feel you about assigned reading. Somehow having it assigned sucks all the joy out of reading.

Layla- Binge reading! I wish I had the time for that.

April Swanson
03-27-2019, 07:23 PM
Pterofan: As someone who’s formatted several paperbacks, don’t get me started on margins!

WGough: Ooo you’re nearly there! Well done for beating that tricky scene.

Layla: Yay 1/2 page! Oh, don’t worry, if I do get one it’ll be the most cuddled dog in history.

xenylic: Enjoy the 1k club :)

Cindyt: Your avatar is not helping my dog-longing! (Woohoo 1k and three scenes!)

starrystorm: Oh, I’m so excited for you! It’s such a great feeling when you know the end is in sight. (And you've hit 1000 posts!)

Cobbling away. The story keeps shifting in my hands but maybe if I squeeze hard enough I can keep the bugger in place.

Day 27: Decent bit; 4 miles; why brain why

starrystorm
03-27-2019, 07:27 PM
(And you've hit 1000 posts!)

y

WHAT?!?!?

I did! 1000 posts.

Pterofan
03-27-2019, 08:12 PM
Day 26 - 151 words

Here we go again: I've got a sore throat and I'm coughing, though not all that much. Hope it's just a cold; I can deal with those. Standing by with the orange juice and the fruit/veggies/grain diet, just in case.

Layla - as long as the laptop doesn't tell me "I'll be back" when I go to shut it down, I should be okay.

Cambridge
03-27-2019, 08:32 PM
Pelargonium extract is the best way to stop a cold in its tracks. Works for me every time :)

Taylor Harbin
03-28-2019, 03:05 AM
30 pages left.

WGough
03-28-2019, 03:32 AM
Day 27
Revised one chapter. Fiddling to go.

Layla: Congrats on the 1/2 page!

xenylic: Gah! I hated the overlong workshop pieces. Condense, for crying out loud. Hope the writing's good.

Cindyt: Nice draft and edit!

starrystorm: Nice work. Congrats on hitting 1,000 posts!

April Swanson: Whack-a-mole drafting!

Pterofan: Nice word count. Feel better!

Taylor: So close!

Over the hump!

starrystorm
03-28-2019, 03:47 AM
DAY 27: Blasted through 12 chapters and finished my fourth draft. I'm just hoping I don't hate what I read on the fifth draft. I just want someone else to read this thing besides me.

Anyway, I went to the doctor and turns out its a sinus infection. :(

Layla Nahar
03-28-2019, 04:39 AM
Congrats on the 1k Xen & happy gaming :)
WTG Cindy, with the drafting & editing
Congrats on your 250 starry. & sorry to hear you're feeling bad - hope it's better soon.
Keep squeezing April :D
Congrats on the 151 Ptero (I got a cold, too)
WTG, Taylor.
whoa, starry!! 12 chapters! talk about well done :) :)

Day 27

WIP - 3/4 page
R/SC - drove to the countryside, took a walk in the woods. Called about the heath insurance, situation normal all fucked up. Got thru to a person, got transferred, go hung up on after 45 mins with no answer. If you don't laugh you'll cry.
$$ - back to the marketing page (new version of my web page)

Auteur
03-28-2019, 07:14 AM
I'm up to 10,000 words. Only 70,000 more to go!

Cindyt
03-28-2019, 10:35 AM
Day 27

Draft - 1174

Edit - 2 scenes

Research - right lower quadrant of the abdomen. 911 debut in Florida.

Taylor - Woot for 30 pages left!

Ptero - Nice word count!

Starry - Looks like you’ve been productive. WTG on the word count. Congrats on hitting 1k posts! Blast on!

April - Cobble cobble

Auteur - Congrats!

Gough - WTG on one chapter!

Layla - WTG on ¾ page!

Cambridge - :hi:

At 70K+ words. I may be… just may be… able to boost it to 89 or 90 in the coming drafts.

The killer's fixing to pop out of the hold.

Pterofan
03-28-2019, 09:14 PM
Day 27 - 396 words

Not much going on. I should be writing more.

Woo-hoos and bananas to Taylor and Starry! :banana::banana:

ETA: Oops, spoke too soon. Just got edits on that story I sold back in February. That'll fill up my Sunday afternoon. :)

April Swanson
03-28-2019, 10:40 PM
WGough: Happy fiddling!

starry: Yay for finishing that draft! (But boo to infection :()

Layla: Urgh, I hope you laughed hard. Walk in the woods sounds lovely though :)

Auteur: Great stuff!

Cindyt: Smashing effort, as always. I'm an under-writer too, and always boost during revisions.

I'm beginning to flesh out my chapter outlines (well, I've finished Chapter One!). I'm not gonna write any more words until I've triple-checked this latest version of the story -- I've already got 50k of explorations and don't want to add to that number.

Day 28: Wee bit; 5 miles; Converse sacrifice

April Swanson
03-28-2019, 10:41 PM
Ugh, AW deleted my post for some reason and I don't have the energy to type again. Assume that I sent you well-wishes and congratulations. As for me, I did some writing.

Cindyt
03-28-2019, 11:01 PM
I see the original post just above the last one.

Pterofan
03-29-2019, 01:55 AM
Me too.

Dropped in to add another "oops." In addition to my edits, I got a paid assignment. Edits are due Wednesday, the paid work Thursday. There goes my weekend. :tongue On the other hand, it's a good thing I made a second stop at the library or I wouldn't have known about this until some time Friday. Now I can dive right in tomorrow morning after a good night's sleep. Looks like my own writing will be longhand squeezed in between this stuff and whatever, at least for the next week or so. That's what I get for goofing off.

Well, we all know the cure for an overbooked work load, don't we? :e2coffee:

Taylor Harbin
03-29-2019, 02:24 AM
10 pages left!

WGough
03-29-2019, 03:11 AM
Day 28
Reverse outlined Book II. Finished A Boy's Own Story. Lovely prose and summary exposition, which is just what I needed!

starrystorm: Wow, that's amazing! I'll give it a read if you're game. Taking a few days off from the old saga.

Layla : Congrats on that 3/4 page. A walk in the country sounds like a good remedy for health insurance woes. Pun!

Auteur: Awesome! Keep at it.

Cindyt: Killer in the box. Love it!

Pterofan: Nice count. Good luck with those edits!

April: I like your plan.

Taylor: You got this!

Keithy
03-29-2019, 04:45 AM
Just home from visiting my mother in England, very tired. But I did some thinking over the last few days, and I realize that I need some internal conflict in "the Visitor" and perhaps the "the Sun Queen" (I kind of had it by accident)

I aim to resume proper work on Monday, assuming that I can get our old garden shed torn down before then.

Cindyt
03-29-2019, 09:18 AM
Day 28

Draft - 1068

Research - Biggest revolver on the planet. Doll eyes (sign of no brain activity).

Taylor Harbin
03-29-2019, 04:53 PM
After three months, I’ve finally finished marking the typescript. It’ll take some time yet to enter these changes into the digital file, but a huge hurdle has been overcome. And I’m glad to say I still like the story, in spite of the problems.

starrystorm
03-29-2019, 05:34 PM
DAY 29 (trying to get my words in before the month ends to look anywhere near productive)- Started my fifth draft and edited 3 1/2 chapters with a text to speech. It was so hard to find one that sounded decent. I can't believe we've sent people to the moon, but we can't create a text to speech software that doesn't sound like a robot. I did find one nice one early on in my search, but, get this, they only had a girl American voice, no boy, for my second POV. Grr. Anyway, I ended up using a really robotic one, but got used to it near the end.

Cindyt- Wow. Thanks. If you want you can check out my beginning in SYW. It's in the YA section titled The Door in My Hand. Warning, don't judge my writing skills on the beginning because I hate beginnings. I also think I might be bringing a blurb to QH later on.

Keithy-I love writing internal conflict, but it's so hard to find the right one.

Cindyt- The research sounds fun.

Taylor-Yay! Good for you.

Pterofan
03-29-2019, 09:32 PM
Day 28 - just shy of half a page longhand. Call it around 200 words.

Here's to home remedies! I got some honey yesterday and had a spoonful or two, and this morning my sore throat is almost completely gone. Chamomile tea is also supposed to work and I already have some of that, so if I use the honey in it I should be cured by the weekend. If we could teach our pets to do surgery, we wouldn't even need doctors. :)

April Swanson
03-29-2019, 10:03 PM
Pterofan: Good luck with those assignments :)

Taylor: Awesome! (And liking the story after all that is a very good sign!)

WGough: Ooo, reverse outline? Is that outlining once the book’s been written?

Keithy: That’s a good realisation to have. What’s it they say? Writing is rewriting :)

Cindyt: Nice!

starrystorm: I once recorded me reading an entire book so I could listen to it—your method is far more efficient! It’s a great way to do nitty-gritty edits.

Very sleepy today, so brain is mush. I’m focusing on the antagonist, because right now all I have is ‘the baddie’.

Day 29: Wee bit; 3.5 miles; neverending story

Cindyt
03-29-2019, 11:24 PM
Day 28 - just shy of half a page longhand. Call it around 200 words.

Here's to home remedies! I got some honey yesterday and had a spoonful or two, and this morning my sore throat is almost completely gone. Chamomile tea is also supposed to work and I already have some of that, so if I use the honey in it I should be cured by the weekend. If we could teach our pets to do surgery, we wouldn't even need doctors. :) My husband makes a tea of cinnamon and honey that cuts his sore throat.

Auteur
03-30-2019, 12:13 AM
It's a bleak, dun day, today... perfect for writing. :)

WGough
03-30-2019, 01:17 AM
Day 29
Printed Book III

Keithy: Have fun tearing!

Cindyt: Doll eyes. I'm stealing that!

Taylor: :partyguy:

starrystorm: I'm going to have to try that text-to-speech thingy.

Pterofan: Ha! Pet surgeons. Love it! No squirrels in the operating theater.

April: You are correct. Reverse outlining is exactly what it sounds like. I used to do it with my academic papers. After the draft is done, read through, summarize chapters, plug it into an outline. I use a romance beat sheet. Then I can see if I missed any of the major plot beats. The old 30,000 foot view of the mss. Baddies are the best! So much fun.

Auteur: Hope you got some words down!

Happy weekend, folks!

Layla Nahar
03-30-2019, 04:13 AM
Cindy, congrats on that 1K :)
Nice work, Taylor
Congrats on the drafting and editing, starry
Ptero, congrats on the 1/2b page
Have some fun with that baddie, April
Enjoy that weather, Autuer
Gough - whoo! Book III!

Day 29
WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - ballet
$$ - sewing (yah, I've moved it to this category); a wee bit of marketing

Day 28 - well. How did I miss posting? Oh I know. I'm feeling totally overwhelmed. 3/3 Oh. I bought the computer on this day. Wheeeeeee!!!!

Keithy
03-30-2019, 05:12 AM
Been watching movies looking for "hero's journey" story structure.

Cindyt
03-30-2019, 07:56 AM
Day 29

Draft - 1277

Edit - 3 scenes

Research - Fight scenes

Published - The April Fool in The Voice

Auteur - Hope you got some writing done today.

Gough - YaY for printing

Layla - WTG on the half page

Keithy - I’ve been reading fist fight promts.

The killer’s identity is revealed, and he and Billy go mano a mano in the dining area and saloon aboard Billy’s yacht. If nothing happens, I’ll write the epilogue tomorrow and be done with the first draft of my all time dream story. :snoopy:

Pterofan
03-30-2019, 09:09 PM
Day 29 - 300 words

It's 70 degrees and sunny, and I have to work. Where was all this stuff last week when it was chilly out?

Keithy - You want the original Star Wars. The Hero's Journey, plus all sorts'a sh*t blowing up. :D

Layla Nahar
03-30-2019, 09:42 PM
That's fun research, Keithy - & relaxing :)
A Four Day - excellent, Cindy!
Pter, wtg on the 300!

WIP - 3 pages
R/SC - earning service
$$ - setting up the new computer

Auteur
03-31-2019, 08:09 AM
Passed 20k words today. :)

Charles Windsoap
03-31-2019, 09:41 AM
Passed 20k words today. :)

Great job!

Just Jeremy
03-31-2019, 09:51 AM
First ten pages of the screenplay written coinciding pretty much with the 50 post requirement for SYW crits. Release the hounds.

Cindyt
03-31-2019, 11:55 AM
Day 30

Draft - 1339

Research - Children’s songs. Pneumonia. Cost of 1985 Payphone call.

Auteur - WTG on passing 20k

Just Jeremy - :hi:Nice page count.

Gough - WTG on one scene.

Layla - Look at that! Three pages! :snoopy:

Finished the first draft of A Deadly Spill of Scarlet! The Epilogue is a tearjerker.:snoopy:

I’ve being fiddlefarting around with my next project, White Wolf. The MC is aka Wolf Catlin, a Cheyenne breed outlaw slinging his gun on the 1870 plains. The image of him I have bookmarked will make you swoon. This is the second of my dream stories. If I can bring A Deadly Spill of Scarlet to life, I can birth this one.

The April Fool hit the #1 spot of the top ten Voice articles! :partyguy:

Pterofan
04-01-2019, 12:10 AM
Day 30 - 270 words

Gonna have to be a drive-by until later, because I need to devote my time to the paying work.

Cindy - Holy Cthulu, look at you go! :banana::banana::banana:

Layla Nahar
04-01-2019, 04:04 AM
I'll just drive by
(w/ also a "Thanks Cindy! :D )

Mar 31
WIP - 1/4 page - oh well. Still better than 0!
R/SC - earning service, house-mate phone interview (yeah, gotta find someone again…, every few months)
$$ - some market research for my indy project

Cindyt
04-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Drive by. I worked on my author website.

starrystorm
04-01-2019, 08:41 PM
March Total: Finished 4th draft (around 16 chapters edited)

Wrote 750 on my survival novel

Stated fifth draft for my UF (50 pages edited)

Pterofan
04-01-2019, 11:12 PM
Ended the month with a paltry 149 words. The paid work always takes longer than I think it will.

See you in the April thread!