can I bug an agent after 1.5 months if she's getting an exclusive look at the manuscript?

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if she knows she's getting an exclusive look, and she told me when I sent it that she wouldn't be able to turn to it right away, so should I just wait? She's been really patient with me. I'm just burning to get an answer! What's the average wait time for a full novel manuscript?

Last edited:

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
I have questions! What do you mean by you're not sure if she knows she's getting an exclusive? Did she ask for one?

I think 1 and a half months is generally too early to nudge for a full manuscript. Sometimes agencies have guidelines on their websites (mine says not to contact before 8 weeks for full requests). Three months is a probably a good time to nudge if you don't have any guidelines.

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If she asked for one, then setting a time limit is a good idea. If you haven’t set a time limit, nudge.

If she doesn’t “know” it’s an exclusive, then it’s not an exclusive. You shouldn’t nudge and keep querying.

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, that's helpful! No guidelines on the website about how long to wait, but I've heard three months elsewhere, so I guess I'll just resign myself to not knowing for a while longer...to answer your questions: it's a little complicated? This agent contacted me three years ago upon reading a story of mine in the Adroit Journal because I said in my bio that I was working on a novel (which ultimately turned into a play and is not the novel I'm waiting to hear back on). In those three years, I have sent her everything I've published, and last year I sent her a full short story collection, which she loved but said she couldn't sell. Because half the stories featured shared characters, she suggested I turn it into a novel...so I did...and I sent it mid-January, and now I'm waiting. She took a month with the short story collection, so I assumed it would be the same wait this time, but I guess not! But anyway...since she has spent three years waiting for me to send her a novel and invested a lot of unpaid time into my work, it feels wrong to try anyone else before she's given her decision, and because of our history, I'm would imagine she knows that I'm giving her the first look. But I don't know for sure.

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Even with your history, I don't think this should be an exclusive submission. It's a business, and you won't be screwing her over by querying other agents. I don't think even SHE would've thought that you've submitted it to her as an exclusive. Nudge her three months after you sent the MS, but in the meantime, query widely.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Exclusives are rare things - most agents assume they are one of many.

It doesn't sound like you have an exclusive. Keep querying!

(I've heard nudges at 8-12 weeks help)

David Odle

Chasing the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidodle.com
Sounds like you've got some rapport with this agent - that's a good thing. I don't think it would hurt anything to send a quick note to ensure she's received everything and ask if she needs anything. You're a step ahead since she sought you out after reading a story you wrote. That's the first I've heard of that happening. Great job!

Best of luck to you!

Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
You probably want to waste at least 2 months.