PDA

View Full Version : Hyphenation / capitalization question

indianroads
02-26-2019, 01:35 AM
I have a mythical character that haunts a religious zealot that's called the Stick-Man... or Stickman... should there be a hyphen? It would be a compound noun... but (much as I hate this example) Brangelina was written as one word. AND should it be capitalized? I think so, but I'm just acting on instinct.

starsknight
02-26-2019, 09:32 AM
Since this is a moniker you're inventing for a character, it can be whatever you want. Personally, I'd go with Stickman, but it's your call.

For this principle in action, just look at superheroes: Superman, Spider-Man, Batman, etc. ;)

Now, if you'd made a whole race of these creatures, then I might go with stickmen (for consistency with humans, also lowercase). But for a single entity where the term is used in place of a name, the capital seems appropriate.

Edit: Night_Writer is absolutely right; I originally miswrote Spider-Man as Spiderman (brain apparently too tired to post properly last night). Fixed.

TheMontess
02-26-2019, 01:43 PM
I think starsknight hit the nail on the head. To elaborate on that last point, there's a children's character written by Julia Donaldson called Stick Man, who is married to his Stick Lady Love and has three stick children - so where "stick" is part of the name it's capitalised, but if it's just a description then it's in sentence case.

Whichever you choose, personally I'd preserve the "the" in the name (i.e. "the Stickman" or "the Stick-man") because it gives it that kind of creepy, haunting vibe.

Night_Writer
02-26-2019, 03:25 PM
Since this is a moniker you're inventing for a character, it can be whatever you want. Personally, I'd go with Stickman, but it's your call.

For this principle in action, just look at superheroes: Spiderman, Batman, etc. ;)

Actually, it's Spider-Man, not Spiderman. And basically this means that the author can do whatever they like.

(I just knew that someday, reading comic books would be good for something.)

indianroads
02-26-2019, 08:04 PM
Stickman or The Stickman it is then. Thanks very much everyone!