What are the benefits of self-publishing a sequel if...

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
I have a self-published MG book and moved forward to traditional publishing for a whole new series. However, a sequel to the self-publishd book is 2/3rds finished, and I feel it has a great storyline. It's been sitting on my harddrive. I'm wondering about finishing it. My mindset has been on tradional publishing lately.

Being that, what are the benefits of self-publishing this sequel if it has these conditions/states...
a) The first book's sales are low. I hear it's typical with self-publishing children's books. I was also finishing up in my university and got my degree/certification (yay!), so marketing was defiinitely slim.
b) Library support is fantastic with the first book in both local public and elementary schools.
c) The kids are always asking for a sequel, although 25% have possibly read the first when asking that.
d) The first book was well liked by 4-5th grade. The sequel feels like a 5-6th grade book, as the MC ages by a year.

I feel that if I release it, it would have to be count as a loss. But I do hear one book helps sell the other. I guess I feel like I need a green light to finish the project, but just concerned on the profit end and wanting a return on investment. I do think I have more time to market now than I previously did.

Last edited:

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say don't get so lost in ROI calculations that you forget where all that comes from--readers. Your readers want a sequel. You'd like them to be loyal readers.

That's how I'd do the math. YMMV. :)

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you had a good response on that first MG novel. One of the reasons MG is so hard for self-publishers is the inability to get into libraries and schools and you seem to have done that. You also have fans asking for the next one. If you did little promo on the first book, then there may be some really good potential in this series. And aging up one year per book isn't horrible. Harry Potter pretty much does that.

I wouldn't say this will be a loss other than the time you have to spend writing it instead of something else. With my YA fantasy and romance novels I saw nice bumps in sales levels that then maintained after that for about two years with each new release. (Keeping in mind that I advertise those books daily with PPC ads, so that maintenance was not just coasting.)