Status
Not open for further replies.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
I think Democrats just need to sponsor some kind of religion that encourages rampant breeding, while still respecting a woman's right to choose - as long as she chooses to have many, many babies.

I mean, it worked for the Catholics, right?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I wanna know when clear-eyed idealism gets to come back into fashion. Progressives would have a nicer time of it if we didn't have to fight the creeping shame and embarrassment of really wanting to make the world a kinder, happier place.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
MacAllister said:
I wanna know when clear-eyed idealism gets to come back into fashion. Progressives would have a nicer time of it if we didn't have to fight the creeping shame and embarrassment of really wanting to make the world a kinder, happier place.
Yeah, sure. Unfortunately, clear-eyed idealism, when it obtains any significant amount of power, always leads to veiled and/or open totalitarianism...

This is the best of all possible worlds...

Rob :)

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
robeiae said:
Yeah, sure. Unfortunately, clear-eyed idealism, when it obtains any significant amount of power, always leads to veiled and/or open totalitarianism...

This is the best of all possible worlds...

I disagree, Dr. Pangloss. An idealist need not be an ideologue, although the distinction can be a fine one. I think that it is possible to be a practical idealist, and, like Mac, I want that to be a respected career goal. I’ve done my part for the DNC -- two loin fruit, at least one a left-wing loon like her dad.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ColoradoGuy said:
An idealist need not be an ideologue, although the distinction can be a fine one. I think that it is possible to be a practical idealist, and, like Mac, I want that to be a respected career goal. I’ve done my part for the DNC -- two loin fruit, at least one a left-wing loon like her dad.
That's cool, until someone assumes power with the expressed purpose of fully implementing an idealistic agenda--like equal ownership of the means of production...

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
These are pragmatic times, Shadow. As is always the case when the spectre of threats to personal safety loom large. And that's always been the biggest flaw in any sort of liberal agenda - it doesn't appeal to one's self interest nearly as much as the opposing point of view. In this climate, that's a tough sell.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
"idealism" is not a bad word, in my view (of course it begs the questions what—and whose—ideas are being -ism'd)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
pconsidine said:
These are pragmatic times, Shadow. As is always the case when the spectre of threats to personal safety loom large. And that's always been the biggest flaw in any sort of liberal agenda - it doesn't appeal to one's self interest nearly as much as the opposing point of view. In this climate, that's a tough sell.

I think your post was just too pragmatic for me to even understand. :tongue

My ideas, William, of course.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ColoradoGuy said:
I'm not worried. I just figured that Rob's Communist floater needed to be swatted back. Your serve, sir.
That's a net court. Replay the point, please...unless you're suggesting 'enforcing family values' has an historical example wherein totalitarianistic policies were a direct consequence; you'll need to specify, please. Also, I'm not sure how 'family values' qualify as a part of a clear-eyed idealistic ideology.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
robeiae said:
unless you're suggesting 'enforcing family values' has an historical example wherein totalitarianistic policies were a direct consequence;

well there's the 1 child policy in china; that's sort of family values, enforced by a bayonet and a copy of the little red book.

Status
Not open for further replies.