Researching a completely unfamiliar subject

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I realized that for the manuscript I'm working on, the MC would be interested in photography, and hoping to show her pictures in an exhibition. So far so good.

Problem #1: When it comes to photography, I know nothing, Jon Snow.

Problem #2: The story is set in 1890, so I can't find a professional photographer and ask about equipment/techniques that were unknown back then.

I googled a bit, but that didn't really help. For instance, Victorian post-mortem photography sounded fascinating, but then I found a website which said most such pictures weren't actually of dead people.

So I'm going to start from scratch, with the library. With more understanding of the topic, I'll feel better equipped to tackle websites. And finally, I plan on taking a vacation to London at the end of April, so I'd like to see the collection of photographs in the Victoria and Albert Museum.

But I'm also wondering how other people tackle this sort of thing. What do you do if you have to research something you're completely unfamiliar with? What tips or suggestions would you have?

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this today. I'm planning on writing a story based around marionettes and ventriloquists. I have no idea about any of that stuff.

ETA: Maybe you can find other fiction books set in the late 1800's that have to do with photography?

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would look for antique camera aficionado websites, and those with discussion fora. I contacted the historical society for a remote western frontier fort for a short story, and they were a goldmine of information.

https://www.photo.net/ came up at the top of Google for me.

Jack McManus

smoothopr8r
Registered
Reaction score
I start with Wikipedia

Of course, entering "photography" into the search box yields an overwhelming amount of information.
So I try to narrow it down to what little I may know of a subject. for late 19th century photography, in America anyway, my go-to guy would be civil war photographer Matthew Brady.

The Wikipedia page has a footnote to one of his biographers, Roy Meredith and his book, Mr. Lincoln's Camera Man: Mathew B. Brady. A quick look inside via the Amazon page yields promise; copyrighted 1946, it appears to be a well-researched account of a civilian photographer of the era, plying his trade amidst the chaos. Good descriptions of the equipment, also challenges of setup and travel, and getting people to stand still for their portraits.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
You're in Toronto? Have you tried the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa? They have a photography collection, and they took over the collections of the Canadian Museum of Photography, so they might have information on equipment and techniques.

Also, seconding the antique camera clubs and websites. Those guys run from aficionado to fanatic, and are usually quite willing to share their knowledge.
And, you're probably better off with a good biography of a photographer of the period - yes, Matthew Brady, than looking for a fictional portrayal of a photographer.

Also, I offer this:
http://www.photoed.ca/single-post/2017/07/02/FIVE-remarkable-WOMEN-in-Canadian-photo-history

Link is to some information on 5 women, photographers in about your period. Obviously, someone has information.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this today. I'm planning on writing a story based around marionettes and ventriloquists. I have no idea about any of that stuff.
What period, and what 'stuff'? I know zip about ventriloquists, but there are a lot of current craft books that explain how to make marionettes, how to joint them for the desired movements, how to string them, etc. and books about how to put on puppet and marionette shows.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
What period, and what 'stuff'? I know zip about ventriloquists, but there are a lot of current craft books that explain how to make marionettes, how to joint them for the desired movements, how to string them, etc. and books about how to put on puppet and marionette shows.

Puppets created by aliens to mine valuable substances on their planet. :tongue Not much history books can do there. But I do have pages of research stored away on my computer somewhere. I've tried to start this story a million times, but it keeps falling apart. But yeah, I've been looking at different kinds of puppets and origins of puppets. Really interesting stuff. I think just the thought of all that research intimidates me. But craft books could be interesting.

katphood

"I'm a humanist." Edward Abbey
Registered
Reaction score
There are a great many photographers that revere old equipment, even to the point of preparing their own glass plates like those used in the 1860s. You should be able to google history of photography to find out some basics. You might also look up photo masters. I'm sure there are some old west photographers whose work is A, on the web, and B, have their techniques documented. I think figuring out how your character showed her work, like in an exhibit, might be much harder. Most didn't consider photography an art form in the 1890s. Some still don't. Looking for a pro these days might not get you anywhere, especially if they grew up with digital and know nothing else. Most of the folks that really know the old ways, and they are out there, are hobbyists and not professionals.

For your more general question, I guess it depends on how much your story depends on the thing you want to study. If it's a lot, then the pressure is on you to do a lot of research. But if it's not really central, you could probably get by with getting a few facts right.

You might also be able to substitute, for example, painting instead of photography. Would that work?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com

The most I know of ventriloquists is that there's an old novel by William Goldman called Magic, where the MC is acting out his homicidal impulses through his ventriloquist's dummy.

ETA: Maybe you can find other fiction books set in the late 1800's that have to do with photography?

That's an idea.

One reason I picked photography was because this is a historical romance, and I hadn't read (or heard of) any other historical romances where the heroine was an amateur photographer. It also gave her a good reason to spend time with the hero, since she wants to take his picture. But there might be historical fiction that has to do with photography.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to reverse engineer when it comes to researching unfamiliar subjects. For example, the MC of my thriller is on dialysis. I knew zero about this subject, so I wrote what I thought it would be like to suit the story requirements, because I didn't want to have to change anything at that stage. I researched dialysis later and adjusted accordingly.

To paraphrase that hoary old chestnut, I write what I don't know (and fix it later).

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
I would look for antique camera aficionado websites, and those with discussion fora. I contacted the historical society for a remote western frontier fort for a short story, and they were a goldmine of information.

https://www.photo.net/ came up at the top of Google for me.

Thanks, Chris! I went to that site and there's a ton of in-depth information. Once I get the basics down and know what questions I need to ask, I'll go back there.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
There are a great many photographers that revere old equipment, even to the point of preparing their own glass plates like those used in the 1860s.

Thanks for the suggestion! Glass plates and silver solutions are topics I need to research.

I think figuring out how your character showed her work, like in an exhibit, might be much harder. Most didn't consider photography an art form in the 1890s.

Actually, I found that the Royal Photographic Society had exhibitions starting from 1870 (over 400 exhibits in that year). I don't know if any female photographers were allowed to participate at that time, but my heroine's brother is the public figurehead here, and the photographs will be shown under his name.

For your more general question, I guess it depends on how much your story depends on the thing you want to study. If it's a lot, then the pressure is on you to do a lot of research. But if it's not really central, you could probably get by with getting a few facts right.

Well, I want my characters to have conversations while taking and developing pictures, plus have sex in the darkroom if I can work that in. And then there's the exhibition. So I'll need to know what the darkroom looks like, how to develop the pictures, what sort of photographs other people take, etc.

You might also be able to substitute, for example, painting instead of photography. Would that work?

The premise is that the hero is scarred to the point where everyone thinks he's horribly disfigured, which is one reason the heroine takes the photographs (she's sort of a Diane Arbus). But in the process she sees beyond his face. There's going to be a theme of surface image vs. reality. The hero also likes the idea of startling people by displaying photographs of himself, rather than hiding away like his relatives would prefer him to do.

I think photographs would display more variation - e.g. taken in different places, with the hero doing different things - than a portrait. A portrait is also likely to be on the formal, posed side, whereas I want to write about the hero loosening up and relaxing during the photo sessions so that the heroine starts to sees him for who he really is.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
You're in Toronto? Have you tried the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa?

I've never been to Ottawa (I need to travel more). Will check out their website.

Also, seconding the antique camera clubs and websites. Those guys run from aficionado to fanatic, and are usually quite willing to share their knowledge.

And, you're probably better off with a good biography of a photographer of the period - yes, Matthew Brady, than looking for a fictional portrayal of a photographer.

Also, I offer this:
http://www.photoed.ca/single-post/2017/07/02/FIVE-remarkable-WOMEN-in-Canadian-photo-history

Link is to some information on 5 women, photographers in about your period. Obviously, someone has information.

Lots of information! Thanks, frimble. Heck, just reading through that page about female photographers in the time period gave me a potential plot point.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Of course, entering "photography" into the search box yields an overwhelming amount of information.

No kidding. I wished I had an Eyewitness Guide.

The Wikipedia page has a footnote to one of his biographers, Roy Meredith and his book, Mr. Lincoln's Camera Man: Mathew B. Brady. A quick look inside via the Amazon page yields promise; copyrighted 1946, it appears to be a well-researched account of a civilian photographer of the era, plying his trade amidst the chaos. Good descriptions of the equipment, also challenges of setup and travel, and getting people to stand still for their portraits.

Thank you! I'll check this out.

katphood

"I'm a humanist." Edward Abbey
Registered
Reaction score
I stand corrected on a couple of things.

Sex in a darkroom sounds like a rich environment for storytelling. They're more than just kinda dark, so there are opportunities for humor there, though that may not fit your story. You also have the element of danger with all the chemicals around.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Sex in a darkroom sounds like a rich environment for storytelling.

Well, if I learned anything from reading romance novels, it's that multiple sex scenes should not all take place in beds. It's more interesting if it's spiced up location-wise.

Oh, and today at the library I borrowed two books :

1. Eyewitness Books : Photography (a children's book, but I need something simple and easy to start the process)

2. Capturing the Light : The Birth of Photography, A True Story of Genius and Rivalry, by Roger Watson and Helen Rappaport. It focuses on a time period before my setting, but hopefully will still give me some insights into the topic.

Next I'm going to find the book about Matthew Brady.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The wet collodion process, familiar as tintypes, and dry glass plate photography have gotten a huge resurgence in the art world lately. The daguerreotype and calotype processes were used later, and also have gotten popular again. Google will get you a ton of information.

Jeff

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
For dialysis, I'd definitely look into support groups online. When I set up a character who would eventually need dialysis, I had no idea my life partner would get there first.

The main US clinical companies Fresenius and DaVita have a lot of rah-rah positive content online. Looking at actual patient and caregiver groups tells a more nuanced story. There's also my experience to draw from, now.

I imagine it's the same for any chronic condition.

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
A few months ago I watched a documentary about Harry Burton, who was the photographer employed by Howard Carter to document the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb. The doco was called The Man Who Shot Tutankhamun. It went into an extraordinary amount of detail about the processes he used and the problems he faced, especially with regard to preventing damage to his slides from dust.