Gamers, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if this has been done here before. Just curious if any AWers are also Video Gamers. Not enthusiast supernerd video gamers mind you, but do you like to unwind with a console or computer game once in a blue? Or even twice in a blue?

If so, what games do you play? What types of games do you like? Do you remember Double Dragon? Bad Dudes? Do you miss going to the arcade like I miss it? Fun times, fun times...

Blackheart

I played Lucasarts' Outlaws in the microsoft gaming zone for about 7 years until they killed it finally a couple of months ago. That was the only online game I ever took to. Sometimes I rip through a few levels of Return to Wolfenstein to relieve stress. Used to play deathmatches against the computer in Unreal Tournament, but my video setup on this more recent pc won't let me anymore. Was great fun though

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
still love a good quake 3 deathmatch and i play some console sports and fighting games with the kids, but my enjoyment of games has diminished somewhat with each year i've spent in the industry.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I play quite a lot of games. Right now, I'm enjoy a pleasant two-week trial of City of Heroes. My wife is playing a lot of Guild Wars, which I'll resume playing when my trial on CoH runs out. I play most console games that are interesting (Katamari Damacy anyone?) and anything super-hero related generally makes me happy.

let's see. I play Battlefield 2 every now and then, I enjoyed Half Life 2 (and one) and I play Soul Calibur II like you wouldn't believe.

We just finished Jak 3 (and the rest of the Jak series) on consoles, just wrapping up Shadow Hearts II (rpg) and I'm thinking about starting in on Shadow Hearts III. I want to play Kingdom Hearts II a lot.

I go through phases where I play games steadily, and then phases where I swear off them entirely for months at a time because they swallow the time I would otherwise spend writing. I'm pretty good will-power wise about that. :)

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
aka eraser said:
I'm a fan of console RPGs. Explanation here.

Yeah, I'm all about the Final Fantasy series. Well, except for FF X-2 (shudder).

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
If we had some gamers of a consistent game (old, or new) it'd be fun to set up a game. Either a deathmatch, or if it's an MMO we could form the world's looniest clan.

It would be fun to have an old style Quake II or III tournament. I wouldn't mind eating Haskins for lunch. :D

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
I go through phases where I play games steadily, and then phases where I swear off them entirely for months at a time because they swallow the time I would otherwise spend writing. I'm pretty good will-power wise about that. :)

I'm the same way to a degree. My primary video game addictions are Madden, EA Sports College Football and the Final Fantasy series. That's all I ever actually buy. I rent some stuff once in a blue, but when those come out I know I'll be hooked for a while, so I try to limit or completely eliminate game time during my "off season."

That said, I rented the new Godfather video game. The gameplay's "ehhh" but the storyline's cool. It's sort of "fill in the gaps" stuff from the movie, which makes the game more fun than it deserves to be...

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
I’ve owned ad played Duke Nukem, Doom, Quake, and some of the other games that came out for PCs long ago. Having had most of my computers destroyed in the Hurricanes, I’ve had to build me a new desktop and buy a new laptop.

I bought an Acer laptop I use most of the time and all my parts for my desktop from NewEgg:

ANTEC Life Style Series Black Case with True 380W PS, “SONATA”
AMD Athlon XP 2700+ “Thoroughbred” 2.17GHz 333MHz FSB Processor
ASUS "A7N8X-X" nForce2 400 Chipset Motherboard Socket A
Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 1 gig DDR 400 PC-3200
Seagate 80GB 7200RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
ASUS nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 64-bit
Zonet V.92 56K PCI Data/Fax Modem
Samsung 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive,
Lite-On 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive
Logitech S-100 BLK 5 Watts RMS 2.0 Speaker
Kaspersky Personal Security Suite

Once it all arrived, I built it within a day, or so and fired it up without any problems, over clocked it a tee bit. It suits me fine, but I’ve been looking for a nice game to play such as I once had and now after so long, I’ve become illiterate on gaming; I don’t want to go online, I want it on my hardrive and play it alone. I may spend some time soon and bone up on what I may want and I may even upgrade, or build a second desktop with all the latest duel processors. I lean towards the AMDs.

WDS

Registered
Reaction score
I have been playing games for most of my life. Super Mario Bros. 3 was my first, and yes, I remember Double Dragon. RPGs are probably my favorite games due to the storylines and time required to beat them. The Armored Core series is one of my top favorite series of games as well. Think giant customized robots blowing the hell out of everything.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
I like video games, and I used to play them all the time. Now I have to force myself to spend time playing them.

I'm a bit of a Castlevania fanatic. I love them all. And the Wing Commander series was tits.

My all time favourite console was the 3DO. I loved that thing. And the 3DO version of Star Control 3 was great. Ah, I wish I still had it.

Nangleator

Rep Point Whore
Registered
Reaction score
A well-crafted game can be an excellent research tool I keep telling myself. You can experience different perspectives I keep telling myself. You can learn lots of things that would be too expensive or dangerous to learn otherwise I keep telling myself. I learned as much about military equipment and science by playing MicroProse games in the 90s as Tom Clancy did with all his research I keep telling myself. Hell, I'm even tuning my science fiction WIP by playing around with Orbiter I keep telling myself.

Go ahead and enjoy! I keep telling myself.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
My son tries to get me to play video games with him on the X-box. I'll play on occassion, but I'm at a total disadvantage. For instance, Halo, I just tag along behind him while he blasts everything that moves. He's having fun, I'm just confused.

My problem with games is I have a low tolerance for frustration and games frustrate the heck out of me. I'm not a puzzle solver at all. So those kinds of games get old very quickly.

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
I like me some Civilization II & III, Harvest Moon, Warcraft II, Starcraft, Mario 2 & 3, Chrono Trigger, Pre-VIII Final Fantasies, and other random crap. Mostly old crap, I think.

But I try not to play, lest I while my time away without talking at all, eating at all, nor doing anything else at all.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Every game mentioned here, I can so far "me too" with. That's sad. :)

I also have a switcher on my TV without enough plugs, controllers everywhere. I just went off and played a few Burnout 3 races.

If I had to pick one field of video game to claim as my own, though, it would be a good quality space sim. I love space sims. Wing Commander, X-Wing, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter (any of the Lawrence Holland video games, for that matter).

I'm a bit of a sucker for good Star Wars games too, although Jedi Acadamy was the last one. (I played Dark Forces One the day it came out, and I've been following the series since.)

We're gamers. We're all OLD gamers, though.

WDS

Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
We're gamers. We're all OLD gamers, though.

Nothing wrong with that. Some of the greatest and hardest games are the old ones.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I maintain that if you got a group of old gamers together, we could eat alive a group of young gamers. And we would whine less doing it.

Nangleator

Rep Point Whore
Registered
Reaction score
I'd stack up the dogfighting AI in Red Baron against any that I've seen in the last ten years. Damn, my epic battles against Verner Voss... One on one dogfights that would go on for ten minutes at a time... Wish I still had that app.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
trumancoyote said:
I like me some Civilization II & III, Warcraft II

Ditto. And I have an on/off obsession with Diablo II

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Heh. Played Doom 'til my eyes bled when it first came out and I used to have my own Capture the Flag team in Quake. Most of the kids I played against were teen boys who just could NOT believe a woman had waxed their behinds. Then they couldn't believe I was old enough to be their grandmother to boot.

Mr. OFG and I went to a computer show years ago where they had a LAN set up with eight little cubicles playing Deathmatch. I stood and watched a few minutes and this sweet young man took pity on the ol' lady and asked if I'd like to give it a try.

I smiled innocently and said, "Why, thank you! How kind..." as I sat down. Then I looked up, batted my lashes a couple times and asked him if it might be okay for me to reprogram his keyboard and mouse if I put it back the way it was when I was done?

They all started popping up out of the cubicles like little gophers each time I killed one of 'em. When the score hit 60 kills for me and less than three for everyone else (which didn't take long at all - like lambs to slaughter they were), I laughed and relinquished the slot... but not before thanking them all for the practice and teaching them a lesson or two about judging a gamer by her age and gender.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
The secret is reprogramming the keys. To this day, all PC shooters get reset to the controls that I cut my teeth with on the original Dark Forces, Doom, and Rise of the Traid. God, those were good games. I miss 'em.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
AAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

You are the ONLY person I've ever met who actually played it. I was absolutely obsessed with that game. It was one of my favorite FPS ever. Still is.

I found a copy of it, freeware, on the internt a month or so ago. Played the hell out of it for a week. I still chuckle when it goes into 'Shroom Mode, you can't aim straight and everything turns brilliant shades of rainbow.

I'm happy now. :)

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I used to play Civilization II and Sim City a lot. Haven't played either for a long time, though, and I never got into Civ III.

I play some multiplayer text-based sports sims (Out of the Park Baseball and Front Office Football) in on-line leagues, although what that involves probably isn't what is usually thought of as computer games, and the community is more important than the game playing in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.