I just want to share some good news

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, so, I don't even have many details yet, but a very very dear friend of mine whom I have known since the late 1970's and who has been in the same apartment in San Francisco for most of that time, had been under grave threat for years and years from his landlord who sought to evict him (in order to get out from the rent control bind, or flip the building, or something who knows?) This had been a horror for decades. My friend tried to find ways to move but his health is not real good and he has no really reliable income other than disability money. He supported himself as a freelance illustrator for ages and lots of that dried up for him as his health got bad.

Apparently, something just happened which means the threat is over, and the landlord has lost his chance to evict my friend, and there is some money coming in to keep the rent paid.... He didn't even want to tell me details just yet in his email, wants to take it in for a while first, but it is huge.

This has weighed on me a lot! and there has been nothing I could do to help other than listen and send him an occasional 10 bucks in PayPal... This is like a 30 year struggle he has been burdened with, now over. Please let that be really really true!

Oh I hope and pray this stays real and does not turn out to be a false light for him. Dayamm!

~~~

And, if you have really good news that lightens your heart, go on and tell about it here too!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's lovely, when a looming threat stops the damned looming. We're happy for him, and hope that without this worry hanging over him any longer, his health may improve.

Maryn, lucky

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, you two. Maryn, that would be a real bonus, and I guess it is a possibility.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think stress can lessen the motivation to fight your illness. It adds to depression, too. So buh-bye, stress!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! :fistpump My friend emailed me the details and this IS a done deal and he is safe from eviction and is getting a bit of extra help from some really cool people and something called the Q Foundation... some program that helps subsidize rent for seniors. There was a dramatic slapstick confrontation between two of the people helping my friend and the landlord in which the helping people gave a packet of legal papers to landlord who shook in rage and tried to throw the papers under his car but the women snatched them up and tossed them in his window.... He is now accepting rent payments as he is legally required to do at this point and has no grounds whatever for eviction proceedings. Neener. :wag:

Maryn, I know you are right about the stress. He is getting help also to clean his place up (it was already pretty um yeah when I lived out there late 80s and has been going south ever since, so I do not want to even try to imagine the condition it's in.) Also landlord is going to be required now to fix some of the broken things (like the bathroom plumbing and who knows what-all.) I am sure if health can improve for my friend, this will boost that process significantly.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Even if living with less stress in a place that's more organized and in better repair does nothing for his health, I expect he'll be happier.