poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
"humanity is a virus with shoes." - bill hicks

okay, so not only are we (let's be clear... you) wiping out species that will never again know the thrilling joy of life, we're apparently now even blocking new species from evolving.

is there no end to this blight on the universe we call humanity?

please, i urge you all: help rid the earth of this menace.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I propose the invention of a totally immersive, direct neural interface. Upload one's brain into a Matrix-like network where a programmed environment, created to the subject's liking, provides people with the lives they've always wanted, without them being aware of its artificiality. Once the brain is fully uploaded, bodies can be destroyed or stored someplace for safe keeping, just in case. Make this a non-mandatory condition, all people who want a "natural" life can continue about on Earth. Population redux--substantial. The environment can then begin mending itself without the burden of excessive resource consumption we humans provide, & everybody's happy.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WDS said:
Will you take the blue pill, or the red one?

"...nothing compares to these blue & yellow, purple pills..."

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
William, it’s worse than you think.

There are very few live Coral reefs left in the Ocean waters.

The Sault Water Lagoons are loosing their Sea grass for spawning and breading fish because of the Seadoos, deep-water boats and barges and the feedings being done by the Manatees and illegal fishing.

Off shore fishing is almost a joke with the over fishing done by the nets from other countries.

It goes on and on.

Blackheart

how can we block the bush family from evolving. not that they are or anything

Nangleator

Rep Point Whore
Registered
Reaction score
Who says we're not a natural part of the ecosphere? I say everything we do is as 'natural' as anything a deer or ant does.

We were selected for survival (up to this point) and many other species chose poor tactics. (Teeth and claws... Feh.) It's entirely possible (and probably likely) that some aspect of our success will cause our demise, just as a predator can eat itself out of a food source.

Perhaps it will be one of our tools, improperly used. Perhaps it will be because we've used up a necessary resource. (Hint: Stock up on canned food when petroleum runs out.) Or, perhaps we will last long enough to reach more environments...

But whatever happens, it'll definitely be natural.

And, Jcomp, I like your idea, except I look terrible in tight black latex.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Does this mean I should try to breed with chimpanzees just to keep up with the rest of the world?

I don't usually go for the hairy chicks. I like to be the only one with a beard.

But, if this is the trend of the future, I'd hate to be behind the curve of cool.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
GPatten said:
William, it’s worse than you think.

There are very few live Coral reefs left in the Ocean waters.

The Sault Water Lagoons are loosing their Sea grass for spawning and breading fish because of the Seadoos, deep-water boats and barges and the feedings being done by the Manatees and illegal fishing.

Off shore fishing is almost a joke with the over fishing done by the nets from other countries.

It goes on and on.

yeah, but i don't see any caribou creating new coral reefs.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It's almost too hard to respond with a straight face. It is our inclination, and arguably our duty, to observe these things. I think it's wise to play "what if" and make effort to preserve the planet intelligently. But to expend much synaptical heat on whether or not we're impeding evolution, well, that's just one of the grandest examples of some people threading their oversized craniums up their ivy-league tightened backsides that I've ever heard.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the dinosaurs started a similar self-extinction movement, or maybe their Gods were much more pi$$ed than ours are now. More species have come and gone before the human presence than there are species on the globe right now.

So, maybe we should just eat our organic material, produce our babies, and do whatever we can to remain at the summit of as many food chains as we can for as long as we can. And just maybe taking care of our environment could contribute to the length of our cycle as food chain honchos, before it's our turn to leave our bones to sedimentary rocks.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jaycinth said:
You are right, Neuro. I think William just woke up a little enthusiastic this morning. You know it will pass.
I hope it doesn't pass. He is usually on target. In my mind, he likes to use the extreme as a double cutting edge of sarcasm and reality.

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Is it possible that he needed a reason to post the VHEMT website, and the article was the only thing on hand that would justify it? :)

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
NeuroFizz said:
And just maybe taking care of our environment could contribute to the length of our cycle as food chain honchos, before it's our turn to leave our bones to sedimentary rocks.
And maybe, just maybe the Lorax will come back...

Or maybe we're just pissin' against the wind. :D

Rob (the trees! the trees! the truffala trees!)

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I know this off topic, but something about that article pushed one of my buttons. The island they refer to as "Victoria Island" is actually Vancouver Island. Yes, the capital of British Columbia is Victoria, and is on the island in question, and no, Vancouver is not also on that island. I know it's confusing, but it's not that difficult to get straight, if you want your article to be accurate. Makes me wonder what else the writer or editor got wrong ...

Just trying to correct a mistake,
Chac

PS: Please do come and visit Vancouver and Whistler for the 2010 Winter
Olympics :)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Chacounne said:
Please do come and visit Vancouver and Whistler for the 2010 Winter
Olympics :)

to hear the global warming alarmists tell it, i hope you're planning on trucking in synthetic snow...

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
Nangleator said:
Who says we're not a natural part of the ecosphere? I say everything we do is as 'natural' as anything a deer or ant does.

We were selected for survival (up to this point) and many other species chose poor tactics. (Teeth and claws... Feh.) It's entirely possible (and probably likely) that some aspect of our success will cause our demise, just as a predator can eat itself out of a food source.

I've made this devil's advocate argument before.

Its kryptonite:

As an intelligent species, we can choose what our "natural effect" is on the environment. If our pollution is natural, so are our environmental efforts, no matter how severely we meddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.