PDA

View Full Version : China

52greg
02-02-2019, 10:15 PM
I've written what is essentially a political novel that takes place in the next century. In it, China has become a multi-party democracy-- only a small element in the story.

I read, though, that American publishers tend to censor themselves to accommodate the current regime in China because they want access to the huge Chinese market.

Would that be an issue for my novel?

lizmonster
02-02-2019, 10:20 PM
I read, though, that American publishers tend to censor themselves to accommodate the current regime in China because they want access to the huge Chinese market.

Link?

AW Admin
02-02-2019, 10:55 PM
I've written what is essentially a political novel that takes place in the next century. In it, China has become a multi-party democracy-- only a small element in the story.

I find that somewhat implausible. For one thing, the Chinese market is largely based on Chinese publishing, not licensing.

For another, all licensing is country by country; they would possibly choose not to publish something in country X, but they wouldn't decide against publishing a book they want in the U.S. because of concerns about China. There's not much economic or political reason to do that.

Our trade with China, when we still had it (pre 2018) was largely in food, tech, and metals. Not media.

PyriteFool
02-02-2019, 10:56 PM
I’ve heard of this being an issue for big budget films (and I mean BIG budget films, like in the hundreds of millions of dollars) but I can’t imagine it being so for books. AFAIK most published works aren’t distributed overseas much less translated. Plus a Chinese translation from English would be a huge undertaking. Unless you expect this book to be a massive blockbuster, and even then, cross the censorship bridge when you get there

52greg
02-02-2019, 11:14 PM
Thanks.