PDA

View Full Version : February Challenge - Write Every Day!

Magnus
01-30-2019, 04:45 PM
This is a thread open to anyone who wants to start, maintain, or reinforce a writing habit. (It can also be about revision, editing, research -- all writing habits welcome!)

The basic idea is that repeating something daily, even if only for a short time, will build a habit that becomes stronger over time.

It's entirely up to you how much and in what way you participate. Post your goals if you like, or just check in when you can!

Here are some tips:

Set achievable goals – I can't stress enough how important this is. To build a habit, doing something is more important than quantity or quality.
Keep up the habit as many days in the week as possible – even if it's just a few sentences or a bit of editing. It reinforces the habit and makes it easier to get started.
Mix it up – Try different types of goals, different times of the day, different tricks to reward or motivate yourself. A good habit is what works for you, not someone else.
Be patient – It takes a long time to build a strong habit and you'll always be facing new challenges. Get used to constantly adapting and you'll be better prepared for whatever problem comes up next.
Don't give up because you didn't hit your goal – When you fail to hit your target, your job is figuring out why it happened. That way, you can find ways to get around your roadblocks (and don't be scared of lowering the bar - doing something is better than doing nothing). If you share your stumbles in the thread, others might be able to help out with tips, tricks, and support! And sometimes, it's okay to just take a break for a day or two, or have scheduled days "off". Whatever works for you!

Good luck, and see you on February 1st!

Layla Nahar
01-31-2019, 04:13 AM
Wheee! Thank you Magnus!

BTW - I think the Challenge turns 1-and-a-half in February :D

I'm in as usual, with my daily 3. Most everyone has heard it, but in case for newcomers - I used to have a big problem of writing going out the window when Life got overwhelming, so I realized I had to find a way to keep writing even when Life Happened. My basic three for each day*

1) Add words to my WIP
2) at least 1 action of responsibility or self-care
3) at least 1 action to increase my earning ability

I allow myself one skip day per week in each category.

Taylor Harbin
01-31-2019, 08:18 PM
Edit novel. All other priorities rescinded.

starrystorm
01-31-2019, 08:23 PM
Finish my third draft. Then onto the fourth draft. Only this draft is going to be more of a check-list type edit. I think. It's hard to know what I'm going to discover is wrong next.

The Second Moon
01-31-2019, 08:49 PM
Write, write, write! I have a feeling I didn't write much in January, so I 'm going to try and write a lot more in February.

Magnus
01-31-2019, 10:41 PM
Right.

In February, my goals are:

#1 Submit a 1,500-5,000 word short story by Feb 10th (rough draft in progress, lots of work still to do).
#2 Submit a 1,000 word flash fiction by Feb 28th.
#3 Write a ~500 word character background I've promised to do for someone's RPG character.
#4 Heavily revise the 5,000 word story I wrote and submitted but didn't make the cut for an anthology.
#5 Prep work on my novel using the new writing book I'm reading (Story Genius by Lisa Cron).

As you can see, I've not been idle even though I haven't been posting here. But I want to press on even harder. It's time to submit more work and pressure myself to produce!

Cindyt
01-31-2019, 11:35 PM
YAY!

1. Write every day, inspiration be damned.
2. Daily draft goal: 1k. At least
3. Keep chapter word count between 3k and 5k.
4. Don't beat myself up if I fall below my targets.

Keithy
01-31-2019, 11:36 PM
I've worked hard in January, 16000 words. But those words won't write themselves, so I need to up my work rate.

So that means a weekly target of no less than 3500 words/week. I have at least one dud day per week so I will be doing more on good days (600+). I would like to have one 1000+ day a week. And this is of utmost importance: if I meet my weekly target early, I need to keep going.

Sigh, I feel tired thinking just about it - but if I do this, I will have 50k words down on "paper" by the end of February.

WGough
02-01-2019, 04:51 AM
Thanks for starting the thread, Magnus.

I'm taking a page from Layla's pages and trying for a write/life balance sort of thing.

Goals for February:
1) Finish revising Book II of the saga
2) One domestic responsibility per day, at least (I had dark-chocolate & sea-salt covered cashews for dinner. Not a win.)
3) Read, read, read

Good luck, everybody!

Taylor Harbin
02-01-2019, 05:09 PM
Finished editing Chapter 8. 35 more pages and Part II is done. Then the real work begins...

April Swanson
02-01-2019, 09:12 PM
No goals for Feb -- just the usual plan to check in, and use my qualitative system to judge each day's efforts rather than hitting a specific target.

Well, today was a bit of a damp squib. Couldn't summon any enthusiasm so each word was pretty brutal. (Woo! Great start to the month! :partyguy:)

Day 1: Wee bit; 4.5 miles; ice swans

Keithy
02-02-2019, 03:16 AM
Today's effort: 1526 words. Shana and Grog fought the ice demon. Well, more like they ran away.

I'm really tired and need sleepies.

Keep on swim swims

WGough
02-02-2019, 05:03 AM
Day 1
A sputter of a day. Managed to get Book II printed after too many hours of jacking with the printer. Pink paper. Character revisions to commence in earnest tomorrow. Got some grocery shopping done and roasted a chicken.

Taylor: Congrats on that editing progress!

April Swanson: At least you worked it. WTG! Twirl, twirl, twirl.

Keithy: No wonder you're sleepy. That's some serious word count you got there.

Have a great weekend, folks!

Layla Nahar
02-02-2019, 07:17 AM
Hello everyone! Happy February :)

Congrats on that editing, Taylor
Ugh. April, those teeth-pulling days…
Whoa, Keithy! Nice :)
Congrats on all the things Gough :)

Day 1
WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - got lots and lots of work done advancing a lot of these sewing projects that I set aside a few uh, years ago… Did chores & errands, then ballet.
$$ did some tech research for my audio project

Cindyt
02-02-2019, 07:24 AM
Day 1

Draft - 1065

Polished - 1 scene

Research - Body chemical that sexualizes the nerves. .

Submission - For What Was op ed to The North Gwinnett Voice

The Second Moon
02-02-2019, 03:40 PM
Day 1: 772 words.

That's a great start for me. Hopefully I can continue like this.

Taylor Harbin
02-02-2019, 05:18 PM
Halfway through editing Chapter 9. Finally found some paragraphs that I felt perfectly comfortable cutting from the text. As much as I want to keep adding, I know I can’t if it’s to have a chance of success.

April Swanson
02-02-2019, 06:04 PM
Keithy: Wooft, great start to Feb! Get some well-earned sleepies.

WGough: Ugh, printer pain. Still can't get mine to work (I've shouted at it and everything). Good luck with the revision. I'm excited to watch your progress :)

Layla: Yay for a varied, productive day! I did a Jane Fonda workout before lunch and there was a move called 'monkey plié', which was probably a crime against all ballet.

Cindyt: Oo-er! Well done for crackin' the 1k.

Second Moon: Yay, awesome start! (The good news -- February is a short month :tongue)

Taylor: Happy chopping. You and me have opposite problems :)

I've been Thinking and playing lots of tunes, and I'm getting a bit closer to unsticking the story. Because I've not finished a book in two years (MY GOD), I'm having to fight the panic. Deep breaths and wine all round.

Day 2: Wee bit; 1 mile (baby, it's cold outside); sushi and spore drives

starrystorm
02-02-2019, 06:11 PM
DAY 1: No writing, but I did start making a checklist of things off the top of my head that need to be fixed in the fourth draft.

Layla Nahar
02-03-2019, 12:38 AM
Nice work, Moon!
way to go, Taylor
ogod April - I feel you on the unsticking
starry, it's good to spend time with the WIP, right?

Day 2
WIP 1/4 page. I wanted to push, & then thought better. You know sometimes you are trying to untangle a ball of string, and there are times when pulling will bring a bunch of string out of the snarl and times when that will make it worse? Kind of like that...
R/SC - moar crafting and advancing in small steps thru many projects.
$$ - audio project - very wee bit

Pterofan
02-03-2019, 12:55 AM
Guys, I'm going to have to bow out for February. Whatever I've got, it's one of those bugs where the phlegm drips down the back of your throat so you're constantly coughing if you take a deep breath. I've been living mostly on fruit and instant oatmeal. This morning I started seeing double, probably because I'm not eating enough.

If it turns out to be bronchitis, as I suspect, I won't want to do much of anything for the next two weeks. Best to just skip this month and see how I feel in March.

I'm going to pick up some wonton soup on my way home. I prefer that to chicken soup.

Cindyt
02-03-2019, 02:03 AM
Guys, I'm going to have to bow out for February. Whatever I've got, it's one of those bugs where the phlegm drips down the back of your throat so you're constantly coughing if you take a deep breath. I've been living mostly on fruit and instant oatmeal. This morning I started seeing double, probably because I'm not eating enough.

If it turns out to be bronchitis, as I suspect, I won't want to do much of anything for the next two weeks. Best to just skip this month and see how I feel in March.

I'm going to pick up some wonton soup on my way home. I prefer that to chicken soup. I was like that this time last year. I was offered a writing job and had to turn it down because I so sick all I wanted to do was stay in bed. We will miss you. :Hug2:

Keithy
02-03-2019, 05:09 AM
starrystorm - I already have a list of things to sort out and I've only done 1/3 of the first draft. goodness knows how many issues I will have by the time the 4th draft comes.
Pterofan - good luck to you and get well soon. Sending some of Shana's healing powers to you!
Layla - sometimes you can't push (I know, ha ha) it sort of makes things worse.

I didn't write a thing today - but did jot down a couple of notes about fighting ice demons: "you need a well-constituted shield". Unfortunately Shana has neither the power nor knowledge to create such a thing.

keep on swimming :-)

WGough
02-03-2019, 05:11 AM
Day 2
Book II, read through and revision notes on four chapters. Ran an errand, did some cleaning.

Layla: Nice work. I get the ball of string. Sometimes you just need to be a cat.

Cindyt: Four times a lady!

The Second Moon: Great word count! I'm rooting for you.

Taylor: Cutting is so hard! Congrats.

April: I am familiar with the old monkey plié. If you don't feel like a fool, you're not doing it right. No panic! You already know how to do this. You've got the pry bar in your writer's toolbox, now unstick.

starrystorm: List-makers of the world, unite and take over!

Pterofan: You will be missed. Take care of yourself!

Cindyt
02-03-2019, 08:24 AM
Day 2

Draft - 1220

Polished - 2 chapters

Research - Old-fashion telephone parts.

April - It took Joseph Heller 8 years to write Catch 22.

Gough - So, you like Lionel Richie?

The Second Moon
02-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Day 2: 733 words. Wow. I've written over 700 words for the first two days this month. I hope this can continue.

starrystorm
02-03-2019, 04:52 PM
DAY 2: Edited 19 pages! I've one more short chapter left before I'm finished with this draft. :hooray:

Every other Saturday is usually a good time for me.

Taylor Harbin
02-03-2019, 06:19 PM
Finished editing Chp 9 and began Chp 10. I know this is going to take a long time but I’m getting more and more anxious to try it out on a reader, to see if I’ve done well.

Keithy
02-04-2019, 02:51 AM
Second Moon - yay, 733 is good work.
starrystorm - oh, editing. I remember that. ghastly thing. Good going.
Taylor - I'm not even halfway through the first draft and I'm wondering how well this will go down with readers. :-) well done for your progress.

OK I was intending to do ~250 words today but managed 608. Shana's been trying to get the temple teleport mechanism to work without success, causing Shana to utter a naughty word. I like universe-specific swear words.

Keep swimming!

starrystorm
02-04-2019, 02:56 AM
DAY 3: I finished my third draft! 8 pages. Now onto the fourth draft which I'm hoping is my last. Hoping.

Taylor: We all want someone else to read it, but then we get nervous showing it to people. Or at least that's how it goes for me.

Keithy-Universe-specific swear words, that was fun when I was writing fantasy. I had a race of cat-people who swore using "dog" terms like "barking, tail-wagging, dog, canine, wolf, coyote" I haven't thought about that in a while.

Layla Nahar
02-04-2019, 04:32 AM
Ptero - take good care of yourself :)
Kiethy - ice demons. sounds scary (gives me the chills) ;)
Nice work, Gough
Congrats on the 3 Cindy
Whoa, Moon, awesome :)
Congrats on another chapter down, Taylor
19 pages, starry - wtg! (editing is hard) and congrats on the Day 3 Finish!

Day 3

WIP - 1/4 page
R/SC - did a sewing project with a friend. We didn't get the results we wanted, but - now we know.
Also did some overdue accounting. Took a lot more time than I expected, but whew. That's a load off. Got supplies for one of my half-finished project & did groceries.
$$ - some audio work, some indy work

Cindyt
02-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Day 3

Draft - 1016

Polished - 2 scenes

Moon - Woot!

Starry - Nothing like finishing a draft!

Keithy - You did good!

Starry - WTG on finishing your third draft!

Layla - Excellent ¼ page!

The Second Moon
02-04-2019, 03:49 PM
Day 3: 434 words

I've realized that I don't need ten short stories in my collection and that nine is better. That means after I finish this short story, I'll only have one more to write.

April Swanson
02-04-2019, 03:59 PM
Layla: Aw, sorry the sewing didn’t turn out as you’d hoped! I knitted a jumper once and the result was nothing short of hilarious. (Jumper is now in jumper heaven.) Well done getting words down in spite of nasty accounting.

Aww Ptero, feel better soon! See you in March :)

Keithy: You’re on a real roll. Shana’s cruising through her adventures :)

WGough: Aw, thank you :) Good luck for book 2 revision!

Cindyt: Have you seen his plot grid for Catch 22? It’s so big and complicated! Great job smashing those 1k barriers.

Second Moon: Yay, great stuff!

starrystorm: Woohoo!

Taylor: Eeeek, yeah, letting in those pesky readers is always an anxiety-fest! Great job editing though, despite your worries.

I am taking a BREAK. I checked my calendar and saw I’d been working on this project for four months — yet I’m making no progress. After much wine and scribbling in my notebook, I realised that all the books I’ve finished came to me in a bolt of initial inspiration. Safe to say I hunted down the idea for my current WIP rather than letting it come to me. So, I’m gonna stop fighting my Muse and wait for the next flash.

I’m still gonna check in here because the last thing I need right now is isolation from writing buddies, but my Feb challenge is now a reading challenge instead of a writing challenge.

It’s all fine though. All absolutely fine. :e2bouncey

Anyway, I finished Kushiel’s Dart and now I’m reading the Nordic Theory of Everything. I want to move to Finland.

Magnus
02-04-2019, 11:38 PM
Right, the weekend was mostly too busy to get writing, but I did get some scribbling done on project #1. Today I put down another 500 or so words for it, though I need to keep picking up the pace as there aren't many days left.

I've also worked on novel prep (#5) a bit and I've done lots of reading, which is often a gateway drug to writing.

Taylor Harbin
02-05-2019, 03:35 AM
Finished Chapter 10 and wrote another interlude.

Keithy
02-05-2019, 04:42 AM
Starrystorm - gulp, fourth draft. I'm trying not to think that far ahead.
Cindy, good going with the 1000+ mark. Four figures in a day always seems like an achievement.
2nd moon, my wife suggested I do a book of short stories. I can only think of one story at a time, and I'm writing it.
Aw, April, just keep doing something writing related, like reviewing or crits.

I did 1432 words today. Shana and Grog have burrowed their way out of the trap, mainly thanks to Shana, but she's exhausted. She throws a snowball at Grog.

I've semi-decided I need a glossary of demons and the rules for summoning, binding and dismissing them. I already need a map.

Keep swimming!

Layla Nahar
02-05-2019, 06:39 AM
Excellent work, Cindy :)
Nice, Moon!
April, enjoy that break & it will be great to see you in the thread.
Sounds like some good scribbling, Magnus
Keithy, congrats on the 1.4K!

Day 4

WIP - 1/4 page. Today was tough. I thought the blank page was going to win.
R/SC - earning service, paid bills (thank goodness), took a package to Fedex, which I did by balancing it on my handlbars. Did not want to do that on Friday because Polar Vortex. Now I have a cubic foot more space, which in my small apartment, you notice.
$$ - very wee bit of indy project.

bedtime now for one very tired lady

Cindyt
02-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Day 4

Draft - 1172

Polished - 2 scenes

April - And it had just 42 chapters. Wow.

Keithy - I was fighting a virus and writing that 4 digits was hell. Excellent word count!

Layla - Hooray for the ¼ page.

The Second Moon
02-05-2019, 04:24 PM
Day 4: 694 words.

I've written everyday this month! Granted, it's only been four days, not even a week, but when I write over 200 words consecutively I feel proud.

Taylor Harbin
02-05-2019, 06:31 PM
Part II is finished! Now I just have to enter everything into my computer...

April Swanson
02-05-2019, 10:29 PM
Magnus: Good to see you. Great job getting 500 words.

Taylor: Awesome!

Keithy: 1432! Nice.

Layla: But, the blank page did not win (and neither did the vortex) :P

Cindyt: Nice work.

SecondMoon: And so you should feel proud :)

It’s only the second day of my break and already it feels like years. Anyway, I’m now reading Under the Pendulum Sun by Jeannette Ng, which started off a bit meh, but is now getting into the swing of things (pun intended).

Keithy
02-06-2019, 04:35 AM
Layla - you beat the blank page :)
Cindyt - I'm doffing my hat again
Second moon - well done on the 694
Taylor - oh my, hope you're a fast typist.
April - don't panic until you've had 2 1/2 months off.

Everyone else watching - keeep swimmming!

I did 1111 words today. There's something symmetrical about that number, I can't quite see it. Anyway, Shana has had to make a horrible choice: repair something designed to keep people off a mountain (by killing them), take over the job herself, or do nothing and see the world go to pot. For once I don't envy her.

WGough
02-06-2019, 04:41 AM
Sorry for the drive-by.

Day 5
Revised ten pages on paper. Been caught up in a surprise house repair.

Keep at it, everybody!

Layla Nahar
02-06-2019, 06:06 AM
Congrats on the 1K+ and the polishing Cindy :)
All right, Moon!
Congrats on that finishing, Taylor
Sounds like a good relaxing time, April. Fill that well :)
Nice work, Keithy!
Gough - hope things are in ship-shape soon & congrats on that revising!

Day 5

WIP - 1/2 page :)
R/SC - earning service, chores, a wee bit of curling up in a chair reading
$$ - very wee bit of audio work

& another day that Layla toddles off to bed way too early for a grown up

xenylic
02-06-2019, 06:39 AM
Hey, everyone! I'm back for the February challenge! It's been a long, much needed break for me, but I'm planning on getting back into the rhythm to finish up everything for the ever-expanding Book #2.

This month I plan on writing 12k total, but if I have to, I'm going to low-ball it down to 10k since this semester has been pretty unpredictable for me with work. Man, I'm glad to be back in action; 2018 really wiped my creative reserves dry.

So, today I resumed officially, writing up 1,000 words to get things going. I also, last week, had a bunch of other writing-stuff, such as a blog post (yes, I'm trying to start those up again too), and a whole slew of writing assignments for my classes. Anyway, today was just to get my feet wet again, as it's been nearly two months since I've done some serious writing. Glad to come back to a great accountability group!

Layla: Well done! And hey, getting to bed early means you're doing something right. I know a could learn a thing or two about that. :roll:

WGough: Nice job for the revisions and good luck on those repairs!

Keithy: Ooh, I like it! In my opinion it's the best feeling when you design a conundrum for your characters that's so tough, you vicariously dread it for them. Congrats on the quadruple ones; that's a sign of good luck, I'm sure!

April: Haha, good one! Maybe if I get stuck too badly this month, I'll join you with that reading challenge. Not a bad idea, and sounds relaxing.

Taylor: Awesome! Props to you! :partyguy:

The Second Moon: As you should, because writing consecutive days is impressive enough as is, let alone through a weekend when it's much easier to ease off. I admire your discipline!

Cindy: Great job!

Cindyt
02-06-2019, 08:39 AM
Day 5

Draft - 1530

Polished - 2 scenes

Research - Life of the medical intern.

Xen - Welcome back!

Keithy - Wow! 1111!

April - I’m reading Year of the Intern by Robin Cook. It’s kind of boring, but it’s good research for my ER scenes.

Layla - Congrats on the ½ page

The Second Moon
02-06-2019, 04:48 PM
Day 5: 534 words

I'm still impressed with myself. I think I'll finish this story today. (key word = think)

Taylor Harbin
02-06-2019, 06:35 PM
Began entering my edits into the book. Almost got the word count down to 151,000...almost.

Keithy
02-07-2019, 03:31 AM
WGough - here is me trying my best to avoid house alternations, painting etc. I spent too long doing that last Autumn. Spring will come and the garden will need work. Me not looking forward.
Layla - any progress is progress!
Xenylic - Welcome back to the merry crew of the good ship Writing Challenge
Cindyt - I continue my attempts at matching your word counts and always fail. Hats doffed.
Second moon - good going.
Taylor - 151000 words, oh my giddly gosh! That is some serious work.

OK, I was at a birthday lunch for my brother in law this afternoon at Wagamamas (rather ordinary food). But I still managed to get 1219 done today. Shana is shamed into helping someone who she hates. "What would your mother say if she saw you do this?" Oh cripes I am being so mean to Shana, what fun. There's more to come. She'll have to dress up as a boy again... oh, the shame of it.

keep on swimming or cruising or whatever.

WGough
02-07-2019, 04:21 AM
Day 6
Revision notes on two chapters.

Layla: Congrats on the half page and taking the time to curl up and read.

xenylic: Welcome back!

Cindyt: Wow, another day of serious getting-it-done!

The Second Moon: Nice work. Good luck finishing!

Taylor: Way to edit.

Keithy: Holy crow, life stuff and 1219 words is amazing!

Layla Nahar
02-07-2019, 06:04 AM
Xen! Good to see you!!
Nice work, Cindy - back with the 3 ;)
WTG Moon :)
Whew - the editing phase. WTG Taylor
Keithy - dang 1219 words - you & Shana ftw!
Gough - I feel like revision notes on two chapters is kind of like stopping for a second to catch your breath. Way to keep at it!

Day 6

WIP - 1/4 page. I considered pushing, but then thought better of it. I have the sense that pushing could force the wrong solutions on the story…

R/SC - earning service, a wee bit of crafting, chores (the Messy House - companion in trouble to the Blank Page - almost, really almost, won that one)

$$ - audio work. Frustrated by a hissy signal and a stuffed-nose voice...

Taylor Harbin
02-07-2019, 07:07 AM
[QUOTE=Keithy;10506543
Taylor - 151000 words, oh my giddly gosh! That is some serious work.

keep on swimming or cruising or whatever.[/QUOTE]

I may be blind to current market trends for young readers, but I’d like to get the word count down even more, else I fear it’ll be hard to pitch.

xenylic
02-07-2019, 07:20 AM
Ooh man, I'm super tired. So, my spring semester is really bad with distribution and just overall workload, so I've basically have five hours in class during Wednesday, which makes writing/homework/assigned reading a teensy bit difficult…

Nevertheless, I took a strong crack at it, and got myself about 800 words on my manuscript and another 300 for a written assignment I had to turn in by midnight. Now, I'm off to bed, and hopefully I'll sleep better than I have been so far this month.

Layla: I know that feeling of pushing. I like to fancy myself an auto 1k-per-day word bot :roll:, but sometimes we do need to pull back and reassess for one reason or another. Great work today!

WGough: It's good to be back! Awesome stuff with the revisions!

Keithy: Aw, poor Shana! What can we say? Us writers gotta milk every drop of shame they've got in them! :D

Taylor: Good luck with hitting that cutback! I really love/hated revising through my draft when I wanted to cut down my word count. It really cleaned so many things up, but it was anxiety-inducing. Keep it up!

Cindyt: Thank you! And congrats on 1530 words today!

Cindyt
02-07-2019, 10:16 AM
Day 6

Draft - 1515

Polished - Here a scene, there a scene.

Research - Florida police interrogations.

Moon - You have good reason to be impressed with yourself!

Xen - 800 words is some crack!

Keithy - Don’t attempt to hard, I might backslide.

Gough - Sounds like you had a productive session.

Layla - WTG on ¼ page. You’re right. Pushing can decrease creativity.

I'm nearing the midpoint of the first draft!

The Second Moon
02-07-2019, 04:22 PM
Day 6: 709 words. And that's another short story finished. :partyguy: Now onto the last one in this collection.

April Swanson
02-07-2019, 08:56 PM
Keithy: Great stuff cracking 1k for another two days! You know, I find Wagamamas to be very hit or miss.

WGough: Great job revising! Hope the house issue is resolved quickly.

Layla: Hurrah for 3/4 page! And I think you definitely did the right thing by not pushing.

xenylic: Good to have you back! I am trying so hard to relax… It’s harder than it sounds!

Cindyt: Oh, I quite like a medical book, so long as it doesn’t get too bloody. Yay for cruising through the first draft!

SecondMoon: Yay, you’re on a roll!

Taylor: Good luck with those edits.

Well, I finished Under the Pendulum Sun and started The Book Thief (which I should have read years ago, I know). I also went for a walk with some choons and had a wee idea for a story. At first I was Excited! and then, later, not so much… I’m just gonna let it simmer for now. I am aware that I’m overthinking everything and therefore making it very hard for inspiration to gain a foothold. :(

Anyway, I just sent an angry email to my bank, which has made me feel much better.

Keithy
02-08-2019, 03:32 AM
I didn't do well at all today. Awake late last night, woken by next door's building work (bang bang drill drill saw saw). The wife had an appointment and we needed to buy food.

So, 316 words today. Shana helps free someone she hates from a chilly situation and then there's some not very inspired expositional dialogue. I'll need to look at that again tomorrow.

Swim swim swim

WGough
02-08-2019, 04:52 AM
Day 7
Revision notes on two chapters of Book II.

Layla: Congrats on your 1/4 page. Way to listen to your instincts!

xenylic: Great word count. Sleep well!

Cindyt: Everywhere a scene, scene. Awesome job!

The Second Moon: Wow, you are getting it done. Congrats!

April: Hate that fading inspiration feeling. Ugh. Banks deserve all the angry emails!

Keithy: I'd say 316 words is stellar! Good work. So hard to write dialogue when you're tired.

Layla Nahar
02-08-2019, 06:17 AM
Xen, awesome work on your 1100!
here a scene, there a scene Cindly ;) Nice work on that three
Moon congrats on the 709 and the finished short!
April, enjoy those walks and that reading
Keep swimming, K - & congrats on being 300+ words ahead of the blank page

Day 7

WIP - 1/2 page

R/SC - earning service, sewing, errands (including the liberry my favorite)

$$ - audio - I improved the hiss a bit. Prolly I'll have to get new gear, but not before I get a newer computer.

Cindyt
02-08-2019, 08:08 AM
Day 7

Draft - 1064

Research - Types of gun holsters. Fast food truck that was rented by the morgue to store an overflow of bodies during the Miami cocaine wars. As I thought, Burger King. 1985 TV lineup. Chose Magnum PI.

Gough - Hooray for revisions!

Layla - Cindly? :D Half page! Woot!

The Second Moon
02-08-2019, 03:52 PM
Day 7: 1,172 words.

Wow! I can usually only do 1000 if I combine two days' worth.

I've written every day for a week!

Keithy
02-09-2019, 04:16 AM
Another day of being too tired (recovering from sleep loss) and too busy (shoe shopping and out tonight).

So nothing today, apart from a bit of "what happens next?" I'm not short of ideas, but I don't know which is the best and how to put them together.

Anyway, carry on swimming everyone.

WGough
02-09-2019, 05:01 AM
Day 8
Revised one page. Revision mark-up on one chapter. Since finishing that first draft last month, I cannot get into the revision swing. Argh.

Layla: Congrats on that half page!

Cindyt: Nice drafting, pardner! Why am I not surprised it was Burger King?

The Second Moon: Wow is right!

Keithy: You'll get there!

Layla Nahar
02-09-2019, 06:01 AM
Ha ha! 'Cindly' is the colloquial contraction of "Cindy-ly", meaning to do things like Cindy does them ;) Wow. Burger King. I'm even more glad that I've never eaten there…

Moon - WTG!! Here's your ticket to the 1K Club. Try the Esspressatini, it's delicious

Hello Keithy!

Oh Gough - revising is hard. (((hugs)))

Day 8

WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - sewing, ballet :) Went to the art store, got a new book from the liberry & got take-home sushi for dinner. I'm following it with a cup of tea and a macroon.

$$ - some recording - the sound is *better*. It will do for now.

KayMitch
02-09-2019, 08:11 AM
Hey all!
I just wanted to drop in and check on all of you. I haven't written much recently, but I have been sending out queries so that's still progress for me. I had to put my poor pup to sleep a couple weeks ago which has been hitting me hard. But I did accidentally adopt a puppy in early January who is officially six weeks old this week which is helping with the pain of losing my bubbers far too early. I hope to get back to writing soon, but my muse is gone currently.

Cindyt
02-09-2019, 09:22 AM
Day 8

Draft 1390

Research - 1985 Happy Meal toys. Using a refrigerated truck. Embalming. Images of drowned bodies.

Moon - WTG!

Gough - I know, right? Good luck with the revisions.

Layla - I get it. Love me another nick and it’s better than Andy Pearl--which a collage professor called me the first to sessions of his class, and people laughed for five minutes. WTG on the ½ page!

KayMitch - Awww, I’m so sorry about your pup dog.

Today was not a good day on the forum I moderate. I’m surprised I produced. And then toward the end of the night my computer started freezing up, otherwise I’d have 200 or 300 or more words. https://static.wixstatic.com/media/8083c9_2df76608e0fe4d9199c51e3cdd835ce3~mv2.gif

The Second Moon
02-09-2019, 02:51 PM
Day 8: 0 words

But after writing for a week straight I think I deserved a day off.

April Swanson
02-09-2019, 07:09 PM
Keithy: Take it easy and I’m sure your brain will figure out the best idea while you rest.

WGough: I’m sure those revision juices will flow once you get a bit further into it.

Layla: Library and sushi! Dream team. Also, an Esspressatini sounds like my kinda drink. Better get writing to earn it…

Cindyt: Well, I hope they cleaned that truck thoroughly.

SecondMoon: :partyguy: (And yeah, you defo deserve a day off!)

KayMitch: I’m so sorry about your pooch :( They really are members of the family. Give that puppy lots of hugs.

I keep feeling the twitch of inspiration, but when I go to my notebook, the twitch disappears. Mind you, it’s only been a week and I promised myself to take a real, proper break. Ugh. I’m so impatient!

Anyway, I’ve been doing some craft study and continuing my reading binge. Finished The Book Thief (:cry:) and now onto The Seven Lives of Evelyn Hardcastle. S’all good.

WGough
02-10-2019, 04:02 AM
Day 9
Revised one chapter of Book II, and it was a slog! Made shrimp fried rice. Did one load of laundry.

Layla: Congrats on the half page!

KayMitch: So sorry for your loss. Nurse your heart, and your muse will return. Wishing you well.

Cindyt: Nice word count. Embalming and Happy Meal toys. Love it!

The Second Moon: Enjoy!

April Swanson: Sometimes you gotta scratch that twitch. Having reading-binge envy.

Keithy
02-10-2019, 06:19 AM
WGough - yes me not looking forward to revision. There's going to be some scything for sure. Good luck. Don't talk to me about laundry. I got fed up with it years ago.

KayMitch - yay, puppies!

Cindy - oh, I've had enough computer problems in the last year. So good luck to you too.

Secondmoon - take care not to burn out.

April - take your notebook with you, or use notes on your phone (I do this)

OK I think I have "what happens next" under control and enough of an idea of it for 3 or 4 more chapters. Perhaps I can do a bit tomorrow.

Keep swim swimming

Layla Nahar
02-10-2019, 06:43 AM
Kay, good to see you. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, but I'm also glad to hear a puppy has found a nice home (((hugs)))

Nice work Cindy :)

Skip days fill the well, Moon!

Hey April - speaking of filling the well, here's to soaking in some good relax time ;)

Congrats on finding that footing, Keithy

Day 9

WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - sewing - but I actually mean drafting, pattern-matching, building stuff to make something… all kinds of projects bit by bit. I've got one project ready to hit the machine, two projects with a few more steps before that point, and one project still in drafting phase. I did some cooking
$$ - indy project - a very wee bit

Cindyt
02-10-2019, 09:58 AM
Day 9

Draft - 1756

Research - Shoot-em-up tips

April - Me too. My MC has a gag moment thinking about it. I’ll have to read The Book Thief. I had no idea it was so boohooy.

Gough - Good luck with Book II

Keithy - I finally got it to RESTART and it’s been fine since. Good luck on “what happens next.” I’m hitting that territory with the next chapter.

Layla - Half page! Woot!

Taylor Harbin
02-10-2019, 05:28 PM
My computer is in the shop getting a new battery, so I’ve begun making corrections to Part III in the meantime.

The Second Moon
02-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Day 9: 291 words.

WGough
02-11-2019, 03:14 AM
Day 10
Revised one chapter. Revision notes on one chapter. Yep, this revision is going to take three months.

Keithy: Way to get the trajectory under control!

Layla: Way to go on that half page! Sew, sew, sew!

Cindyt: Glad you got the old 'puter fixed. That shit sends me straight to the benzos. Nice drafting.

Taylor: I always think I absolutely must have my laptop to write. Wrong.

The Second Moon: Nice work!

Have a great week, everybody!

Keithy
02-11-2019, 04:37 AM
Layla - steady progress, good good. Wish I could say the same.

Cindy - that's a huge word count. Well done. (more hat doffing)

Second moon - that's good too. :) don't let the empty page grind you down.

I did 915 words today divided between before and after dinner. Someone ran off with Shana and Grog's remaining horse (with food supplies) so they ended up joining an army in the hope of a meal. When they make camp they will be put on latrine duty. I'm sure Shana will enjoy that.

keep swimming/sailing etc.

Layla Nahar
02-11-2019, 06:30 AM
Congrats on the 1756 and the research, Cindy (always interesting to read about your research)

Enjoy that analog time Taylor :)

Nice work, Moon!

Way to keep at it Gough (whew - revising…)

Keep on keeping on, Keithy!

Day 10 (already!)

WIP 1/2 page

R/SC - earning service; NAP! then some chores

$$ - spoke with someone who wants to give my indy project a test run

xenylic
02-11-2019, 08:11 AM
Checking in before bed, I got an unhiky amount of reading done this weekend. Today, however, I managed to write cumulative 900 words in my homework assignments this week.

Cindyt
02-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Day 10

Draft - 1722

Research - Images of people who have eaten their guns.

Moon - Lovely word count!

Gough - But revisions are as important as writing.

Keithy - Wow! WTG on the drafting. My bonnet’s off to you!

Layla - Here’s to a half page!

The Second Moon
02-11-2019, 04:48 PM
Day 11: 132 words.

...Just keep writing, everyone, just keep writing...

starrystorm
02-11-2019, 05:45 PM
I know I haven't been here in a while, but I was busy.

DAY 9- Shiny shiny idea! Had to write down as much as I remembered from my dream.

DAY 10- Planned 6 chapters of my YA sci-fi

April Swanson
02-11-2019, 07:13 PM
WGough: Eek, into the revision swamp you go! Three months is still damn fast though.

Keithy: Ah, glad you’ve got the next bit sorted out. Congrats on 915.

Layla: Your posts make me feel so lazy! Well done for 1 page :)

Cindyt: It took me a while to get into The Book Thief, but the second half is brilliant. 1756 and 1722! Go you!

Taylor: Others would use that as an excuse not to write, so well done you :)

Second Moon: Great job getting those words down every day (says she, taking a break).

xenylic: Nice job.

starrystorm: Shiny idea! Awesome! (Can I have one please?)

I’ve had another wee idea. Actually, I had it last September but it’s gaining a bit more traction in my head. I’ve dumped some initial thoughts down to let it simmer. This is only Day Eight of my break (feels like years) so I’m forcing myself to keep reading, keep thinking, and gently watering the little story seeds in my head.

Anyhoo, I finished The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle (all while I was reading I thought it was Seven Lives, and kept wondering when the title would make sense. Me stupid) and now I’m onto Pathways by Jeri Taylor, keeping in spirit with my current Voyager binge. The gardener at the Academy has just mentioned ‘Johnny Picard’ so I’m a pretty satisfied reader.

Keithy
02-12-2019, 04:05 AM
Xenylic, 900 words is a splendid total.
Cindy, your totals and your research are always an inspiration.
Second moon, getting above three figures is always good.
April, live long and prosper (makes vulcan salute)

OK, I had a bit of a busy day today, too many chores and errands so my energy levels and spare time were/are low. 547 words done. Shana's been digging latrine trenches, and will probably fall or be pushed into one tomorrow.

Keep on swimming

WGough
02-12-2019, 05:21 AM
Day 11
Revision notes on one chapter. Finished Timothy Murphy's Getting Off Clean. It killed me.

Keithy: Congrats on 915 and 547. Dig, Shana, dig!

Layla: Way to half page!

xenylic: Keep grinding away!

Cindyt: Nice word count. That is some cheerful research. Most writing is rewriting, I hear.

The Second Moon: Good work!

starrystorm: You have been busy. Warm and glowing warming glow.

April: Break envy! Now, I'm picturing Bev Crusher calling him Johnny Picard. :roll:

Layla Nahar
02-12-2019, 06:01 AM
Xen! What does unhiky mean? I didn't even find it in urban dictionary! ;)
Zomg! Cindy, that might be the best research yet. (I'm taking it literally - like how people used to eat a jeep…) Congrats on the 1.7k
Very excellent, Moon
Hey Starry, really good to see you :) Way to keep at it
April, I'm really digging your reading list. Good to see you as always :)
Very nice work with the 547, Keithy.
Keep on keeping on Gough :D

Day 11

I think my little computer is not long for this world...

WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - earning service; chores
$$ - very wee bit of audio work

Cindyt
02-12-2019, 07:32 AM
Day 11

Draft - 1182

Research - Spy gear. Grottos. Greek gods. Out of body experiences

April - Good luck on the idea!

Gough - Good revising! I am the moderator of a death forum so it didn’t bother me to have a long look.

Keithy - Nice 547!

Layla - Eating gun as in committing suicide via gun in mouth. Another half page!

I whacked MC Billy Estrella--but hark! is that him giving me a one-finger salute from yon window?

xenylic
02-12-2019, 08:28 AM
Drive-by for me tonight. Snow came in heavy on the east coast and kinda put my classes in a state of limbo between canceled and optional attendance. Tomorrow, thankfully, I'm already covered for a full day off :D

I got a solid, 1,200 words down today, the most this year so far! Still on set up, and closing in on one of the most pivotal scenes of the entire story. A bit giddy and anxious about how it goes tomorrow, but as long as I get stuff on the page again, I'll count it as a win. Also, returned to some of my piano practice after a decent drought, and I certainly felt the rust, but I stuck through it and played a lot, so hopefully I'll be back in proper form by the end of the week.

Layla: That would be my sleep deprived brain and my big, clumsy thumbs on my phone keyboard attempting to type "unholy". :roll:

The Second Moon
02-12-2019, 02:57 PM
Day 11: 426 words.

If only I hadn't forgotten a pencil or pen when I went to college for the day, maybe I would have written more.

Taylor Harbin
02-12-2019, 05:21 PM
Halfway through Chapter 2 of Part III I realized it is going to have to be rewritten. Kids story or not, a king wouldn’t make a public scene before an assembly of lords before dispatching a spy. Too risky, and who wants politics anyway? It can be summed up in a few sentences.

Keithy
02-13-2019, 04:34 AM
Layla - Sending good wishes for your computer. Mine is nearly 10 years old.

Cindy - over a thousand a day. I'm struggling to do that right now. That's an eclectic mix of research.

Xenylic, over a thousand, well done. Sending hat doffings to you.

Second moon - erm, good word count... sending you an imaginary pen.

Taylor - politics in a kids book... I'm thinking Phantom Menace. Nothing like a good Trade Federation blockade.

OK, I did 1306 words today. Shana has been creeping around an army camp listening to the Princess talk about her war plans. I also investigated whether it's possible to eat leeches, then remembered she's an alien so it probably doesn't matter. Hey you leeches, prepare for some revenge.

Keep on sailing or trucking or swimming :)

WGough
02-13-2019, 05:36 AM
Day 12
Revision notes on one chapter. Tuna salad nicoise.

Layla: Nice work on the half page. Oh no, computer woes! I had to break down last year and replace my ten-year-old laptop. Such a pain. Good luck!

Cindyt: Congrats on 1182. Another research-a-licious day.

xenylic: Mmm, love a snow day. I've a feeling we've seen the last of them down here. Sigh.

Taylor: Way to edit. Insightful observation.

Keithy: Amazing word count. Yummy, yummy leeches.

xenylic
02-13-2019, 06:04 AM
Had a great day today across the board. 1,800 words in total, I improvised a critical motivation point for my antagonist during the super-important scene, and it all seems to fit for the time being. Also, had some free time to play video games :D

Tomorrow should, in theory be easier stuff to write about, but since I won't have the entire day to work it out like I did today, I need to make sure I stay on task. And if I do that, I'll finish my writing for the week, on schedule for monthly goal.

WGough: I'm pretty sure, this will be my last one this season too. Nice job with doing those revision notes!

Keithy: Congrats on 1306! Also, Shana's an alien? All this time and I didn't know that. Haha, that's right up my alley!

Taylor: Ugh, I hate it when I realize big chunks of writing need to be scrapped/rewritten! But nevertheless, I can't deny that those revisions make the good great. Keep it up!

The Second Moon: Tough luck, there, but still 426 words is great! Nicely done!

Layla: Oh, no! I hope it's not too much of a hassle to replace your computer. I always feel like technology poops out at the worst times…

NoTimeToWrite97
02-13-2019, 06:52 AM
Write for at least two hours a day! These future award-winning novels aren't going to write themselves!

Layla Nahar
02-13-2019, 07:05 AM
Cindy, I shudder to think… Congrats on that 1182!
Congrats on the 1200, Xen :)
426 is pretty good for a day short on pencils Moon :D
You'll get a nice topiary out that the forest soon enough, Taylor ;)
oh wow - Shana is going to eat leeches. zork! (I keep forgetting Shana is an alien)
Notes and Noms - sounds like a good day, Gough
Ohay Xen again :D Congrats on the 1.8K!

Thanks everybody, for the good wishes for my computer

Day 12

WIP 2/3 page
R/SC - earning service, dentist...
$$ - some recording practice

Cindyt
02-13-2019, 09:02 AM
Day 11

Draft - 1052

Research - Ballistics. CPR, mouth-to-mouth, intubation and defibrillator

NoTime - Welcome and good writing!

Gough - Great work. Ew salad.

Keithy - Wow to 1306 draft! You beat mine!

Layla - 2/3 page! Good on you!

In a kind of comedy of errors my dead MC fell off a gurney and his soul reentered his body. He’s still mad at me though because I took Carolina away from him. How did I do that? Why, I told her he had a wife and daughter.

Talking about being a moron. I splashed chicken noodle soup across my desktop keyboard. Drained it and let it dry out. It works fine, but I have a water and dust proof board ordered. Sheesh.

April Swanson
02-13-2019, 04:00 PM
Keithy: Nice! I don’t envy Shana right now.

WGough: Nice work analysing those chapters. (And yeah, only Beverley could pull it off!)

Layla: Oh no! Stay strong, computer.

Cindyt: Another great couple of drafting days. Though soup sounds far too healthy to be a writing snack!

xenylic: Great job! Oh, what game are you playing? I’m always on the hunt for recs.

Second Moon: 426 is impressive given your lack of writing utensils.

Taylor: Right now, I don’t think anyone wants politics :P

NoTime: Good luck meeting your goals!

K, my idea is growing legs. I’m jotting bits and pieces in my notebook but have so far resisted the urge to really bash out big thoughts. I think I’ll take the rest of the week off and make an assessment at the weekend.

Anyway, I finished Pathways (had to skim-read the Kes chapter because…bleh) and now I’m starting the first Alanna book by Tamora Pierce. I’m pretty sure this book is aimed at kids but I can’t be bothered reading something serious right now!

The Second Moon
02-13-2019, 05:12 PM
Day 12: 70 words.

But, I didn't let the blank page win!

Taylor Harbin
02-13-2019, 06:07 PM
Halfway through Chapter 3 of Part III. Found more stuff that needs to be cut and reorganized.

WGough
02-14-2019, 04:55 AM
Day 13
Revision notes on half a chapter. Sleepy day.

xenylic: Amazing word count. Congrats!

NoTimeToWrite97: :welcome: Totally reasonable goal. Good luck!

Layla: Writing and the dentist. Way to adult!

Cindyt: Nice drafting and researching, again!

April: Keep pecking away. Your process sounds so zen!

Taylor: Sounds like progress!

Keithy
02-14-2019, 06:14 AM
Xenylic - It's a sort of "teenage alien falls to medieval earth" setting with demons and some odd stuff going on besides.

Oops, no progress today, thanks to shopping and many other tasks that needed doing.

Even more oops, I made a mistake regarding Shana's healing power. I calculated 10 times too fast, I need to check my plot points.

Try again tomorrow.

Layla Nahar
02-14-2019, 06:25 AM
Nice work, Cindy
keep taking it easy, April
Indeed, Moon. Congrats
way to chop, Taylor
Enjoy that sleepy day, Gough. You definitely earned it.
Yikes, Keithy. (I hate making those miscalculations)

Day 13

WIP - 1/4 page. (whew)

R/SC - earning service; stopped at Microcenter to price refurbished Macs - and taking the first steps in dealing with a big health-insurance headache… Just when I was starting to think I could relax…

$$ - recording practice

xenylic
02-14-2019, 06:40 AM
Today, I finished up writing for the week and the chapter and the current time period (my book is about time travel)! Now, it's almost a straight shot through the climax and then, dare I say it? The end!

1,300 words for me. Back on track for my February goals. Very happy with this, especially since I'm running on three hours of sleep and Wednesday is my busiest day. I might check in during the weekend for homework stuff, but book stuff I'm taking a breather until Monday.

Keithy: You've just combined my favorite sci-fi element with my favorite fantasy stuff! And keep your chin high. Tomorrow is always a day to start fresh!

WGough: I'm with you on that Sleepy Day Syndrome. Hump day does that I guess. Nevertheless, good stuff today!

Taylor: Nice! You're really cooking with those revisions!

The Second Moon: Amen to that! 70 words is great during those times we don't feel like we can move an inch with our writing. Keep fighting the good fight!

April: Mostly Smash Bros. Ultimate. I got myself a Switch recently as a reward for completing my 2018 writing challenge, and have been eating up that game lately. And I know that feeling of wanting an easy read. Sometimes I think I cave into that desire a little too much truth be told. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine!

CindyT: Oh, I hate those spouts of clumsiness. I always beat myself up over stuff like that, but I'm glad your keyboard is okay! Also, your research topics are so cool. For my current book I had to study the ins and outs of a nuclear bomb, and well, I'm pretty sure I'm on some kind of list now :roll:

Layla: Congrats on 2/3rds pages yesterday and the 1/4 page today! And fantastic job getting a foot in the door for the health insurance fiasco. Those things are so infuriating to deal with, and I hope it blows over quickly and easily!

Cindyt
02-14-2019, 12:18 PM
This was a bad day on Black Rock, so to speak. So Ima drivin through.

The Second Moon
02-14-2019, 03:51 PM
DAY 13: 121 words

Taylor Harbin
02-14-2019, 06:16 PM
Xenylic: thanks! I hope that means the revisions are good.

only got two pages done, the changes I’ve already made are snowballing and necessitating more dialogue rewrites

Pterofan
02-14-2019, 11:18 PM
Hideliho, neighborinos! I'm not back yet, just driving by. I wanted to brag that the story I subbed back at the end of January, right before my chest started filling up with phlegm, got accepted. I managed to fit in some brief writing every single day, but it was mostly flash scenes, so there probably won't be a sub for February. So much for that goal.

Yes, it was bronchitis. A full week of coughing and liquid gathering in my chest and strange, wet, whistly noises coming out of my throat with each exhale. And bizarre dreams without benefit of medication. Maybe I had a fever. If you get hit with this, don't bother with over-the-counter stuff because none of that works. Just stay in bed, drink lots of water and let it run its course, about two weeks. I'm still coughing a bit, but the worst is over. I'll come back officially in March.

The fun part was early on, when I developed double vision but still had to drive myself to the grocery store for supplies. I just shut one eye and hit the road. Worked fine. My version of the Bird Box challenge.

WGough
02-15-2019, 04:51 AM
Day 14
Revision notes on half a chapter.

Keithy: Way to catch that error. Better now than a reader catching it later!

Layla: Yikes. A quarter page is amazing when dealing with health insurance and computer shopping. Kudos!

xenylic: Awesome! Nearly there.

Cindyt: Take care of yourself.

The Second Moon: Way to beat the blank page.

Taylor: Love and hate those days. At least you're finding solutions.

Pterofan: Harrowing trip to the market. Glad you're feeling better.

Keithy
02-15-2019, 05:02 AM
Cindy & Second Moon - there's always tomorrow (like wot Xenylic said)

Taylor - hmm, dialog, yeah mine starts out a bit placeholder-ish. Wishing you well here.

Pterofan - super well done for your acceptance!

Everyone else - keep at it.

I somehow managed to write (dun dun dun) 2120 words today. I just kept on writing... and writing... and... Anyway, Shana's got herself out of one pickle and is now in a swamp in a bigger pickle. The bit with the leeches is coming.

keep swimming (but not in the swamp)

Layla Nahar
02-15-2019, 07:32 AM
Xen, great work on all that finishing - congrats on the 1300! (& thx 4 the good wishes re the insurance challenge…)
Cindy - take a good rest
Congrats on the 121, Moon :)
Two pages sounds great, T & so does snowballing
Ptero! Good to see you :) & congrats on the accpetance! talk about winning :D
Congrats on getting through a half chapter, Gough
Whoa Keitny 2120! You are flying!!

Day 14

WIP - 1/4 page
R/SC - earning service, some sewing, paid a bill, printed something I have to read to deal with this insurance thing
$$ - got some supplies for my indy project test gig

Cindyt
02-15-2019, 10:12 AM
Day 14

Draft - 1587

Research - Copters shot down over Vietnam. The frontal lobe vs. gun-in-fist recoil. Blood pressure drop due to massive blood loss.

April - WTG on the idea legs.

Xen - I was watching ER. I can’t write and eat. 1300 words! Wowzer!

Gough - I slept all day and all night on the 13th - 14th .

Keithy - And tomorrow came.

Layla - YaY on the ¼ page on the 13th.

I did get a good rest. Thanks for the kind words, Everybody!

Got Rotations today! I can’t wait to dig into it for the 3rd or 4th time. It’ll come in hand for research too.

April Swanson
02-15-2019, 03:14 PM
Second Moon: Victory!

Taylor: *sends magic revision dust*

WGough: OMG it is so not zen! I have to fight the panic every single day. Woohoo! for bashing on with those revisions.

Layla: *sends general magic life dust, and cookies*

xenylic: Oh, I love Smash Bros! We’re still Wii U people over here … will probably hold off buying another Nintendo console until we know which platform the next Zelda game will be on. Great job hitting 1300 words. Now, get some sleep!

Cindyt: Great comeback!

Pterofan: :hooray: (For the submission, not the phlegm :P)

Keithy: Feckin’ brilliant!

I’m ANTSY. Didn’t read yesterday and instead worked a bit more on this new idea. I’m officially breaking my own rules. Honestly, I’m not sure what to do next … I’m worried that if I push too early I’ll only exacerbate my Block in the long run … but on the other hand, I’m going a bit mad from not writing. Unfortunately I really don’t enjoy writing random short stories — it’s main project or bust with me. :e2thud:

The Second Moon
02-15-2019, 03:36 PM
Day 14: 928 words. Yay!

Taylor Harbin
02-15-2019, 05:15 PM
Chapter 3 of Part 3 finally done. I had to make a note to take time and establish why magic exists, as it is vital to the lore, the plot, and one of the supporting characters. I’ve always been a fan of “soft” magic systems but now I have to actually design it. Thanks for the dust, April! I’ll need it.

WGough
02-16-2019, 04:30 AM
Day 15
Revision notes on one chapter. Hit the halfway point of Book II.

Keithy: Holy crow, them's some words! Forthcoming leeches!

Layla: Congrats on that quarter page!

Cindyt: Fun times! Great word count. Glad you're rested up.

April: A mantra for madness: French Country Cottage. Actually, that's kinda hard to say over and over.

The Second Moon: I second that Yay!

Taylor: My mss is littered with "revise for logic."

Have a great weekend, everybody!

Keithy
02-16-2019, 06:02 AM
Cindy - that research sounds... painful. Good going with the word count.

April - actually I'm English (living in Ireland) but I appreciate the sentiment.

Second moon, you are so near the 1K level.

Taylor - oh, magic systems. I've seen some really lazy ones.

Today's total is 1181. Shana is still in the swamp. I am thinking of truncating this scene because I'm ~halfway through and it's not as much fun to read as I thought. There will probably be leeches. There will be a nasty monster with tentacles. She will be swept out to sea. This is all very unpleasant for her: she's a bit wary of rivers and seas due to her being involved in nasty a boating accident when she was a child.

Tomorrow is my usual day off.

Keep swimming (well, unless you're afraid of large bodies of water)

Taylor Harbin
02-16-2019, 06:32 AM
Keithy, what are you top worst examples?

Layla Nahar
02-16-2019, 06:56 AM
Cindy - way to come back :D
Take the time you need, April
Allright Moon! that's a boatload of words!
Taylor, how magic works (and figuring that out) is one of the things that's got me in a holding pattern…
WTG on hitting the halfway point, Gough
Keithy - wtg!

Day 15

WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - crafted aaaall day & then went to ballet :D
$$ - I'm taking a skip day

Cindyt
02-16-2019, 08:41 AM
Day 15

Draft - 1124

Research - Plants and birds on the Exumas. Cays. Land masses. Clothing. Boring, but necessary.

Published - For What Was by The North Gwinnett Voice newspaper.

April - I can write short nonfiction, but not fiction.

Gough - Yay for halfway points!

Keithy - Another excellent word count!

Layla - Another wow half page!

April Swanson
02-16-2019, 02:35 PM
Second Moon: Awesome stuff!

Taylor: I prefer soft magic too. Good luck!

WGough: Best not to try repeating in polite company :tongue

Keithy: ;)

Layla: Sounds like a fun day :)

Cindyt: Pull up a chair in the 1k club!

I sacked Alanna and picked up another Voyager novel — The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer. You are all witnessing a classic April obsession :) I’ve also decided to just roll with this new idea and see where it goes. If I have another week off from writing I will go mad.

The Second Moon
02-16-2019, 03:01 PM
Day 15: 0 words.

I had a shiny new idea.:chair

Layla Nahar
02-17-2019, 06:37 AM
Cindy - what a day :) Congrats on the writing, the research and the pub!
April - I love Voyager.
Roll with it Moon - enjoy that skip day :)

Day 16

WIP - nuther 1/2 page. Swimmy swim swim!
R/SC - sewing all morning - lotsa seams! Earning service, and bought myself two pretty low-light houseplants
$$ - indy project - had my first practice customer!! (a friend at work so no money chaging hands yet, but I got confidence and a good review.

Speaking of work, it looks like I'm on to some 6-day weeks for a while, but I need the dough if I'm going to replace my computer.

Keithy
02-17-2019, 07:32 AM
Cindy - more hat doffing here for your total.
Second moon, here's to shiny new ideas (sips whiskey)
Layla - good to see you puttering along, steady progress.
April - another Trekker? I like all of it, my wife likes DS9.

OK, I had a surprisingly good today on what is supposed to be my day off. 1031 words. Shana just blew up the nasty tentacle monster (yay!) but the bad news is that she's drifted out of the swamp and into an estuary while clinging onto a tree. She's pretty terrible of swimming and suffers from a fear of large bodies of water. But of course she's going to be rescued - and then the real fun begins...

Keep on swimming (in her case, literally)

Cindyt
02-17-2019, 09:22 AM
Day 16

Draft - 1240

Research - Worlds hottest chili pepper. The blue ribbon goes to the Carolina Reaper. Albatross breeds. Superstitions. Ways to sink a boat. I chose releasing the seacock valves in the hull. I remembered that Travis McGee did this in some book, but thought they were called killcocks. :roll: So I had to look around on the net.

April - Sounds interesting.

Keithy - 1031 is awesome. And I love your little summaries. I think I’ll start doing that too.

Layla - Nuther good page count!

My OCD dictates that my chapters must be at least 3000 words each. (It didn‘t help that I landed on a site that said chapters should be between 3K and 5K.) I know there’s no rule, but explain that to Miss OCD. My case of it isn’t debilitating. There’s just three or four things that must be done a certain way.

So, I went back to Chapter 4 to flesh it into 3K+ words.

While picnicking on a deserted cay in the Exumas, a man appears and grabs Carolina by the throat, and Billy puts a 9mm in his forehead. They bury him in the trees and sink his cabin cruiser and get the hell out.

The Second Moon
02-17-2019, 04:21 PM
Day 16: 0 words

0 excuses :(

Taylor Harbin
02-17-2019, 04:37 PM
Finished Chapter 4 of Part III. Though it’s a secondary world I’m using foreign words and items to show how the regions differ as our plucky band travels around. I’ve never had baobab fruit but after researching it I want to try

Keithy
02-18-2019, 05:43 AM
Cindy - another goodly total from you. As far as chapter length goes, I do what seems natural. Mine are 2.5K to 3K.

Second moon - um, should I congratulate you on your zero words?

everyone else - well done with whatever you achieved.

As for me, I spent some time putting up a mirror (darn plasterboard fixings, I hate them) and cooking dinner so only had time for 348 words. "Mirror mirror on the wall, how I hope you will not fall."

I decided on a name for the ship that rescues Shana from the sea: "Swiftsure". She's spent most of the last two days vomiting overboard. Next will be a storytelling scene.

Keep swimming :)

xenylic
02-18-2019, 08:19 AM
This weekend was pretty tough, not gonna lie. My mom had surgery (which was planned), and everything went perfectly and she really handled the whole thing phenomenally, but I was really down about the whole ordeal.

Anyway, still did have some good moments with people over and today I managed to tap into my working zone and saved myself from some serious backlogged homework.

Roughly 600 words of school work written today and tomorrow I get to start back up with my book stuff. Last week I left it off on a very juicy part that I'm really itching to get back to.

See you guys tomorrow!

Cindyt
02-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Day 17

Draft - 1030

Keithy - I’ve got chapters that are over 4k. I like the name Swiftsure. The ship in my historical novel is Ship Dunwoody after a neighboring town. It just felt right.

After he sinks the cabin cruiser, Billy and Carolina board his trawler yacht and head for Kitty Cay. He receives a mysterious call telling him that Lola, his ex DEADco partner and girlfriend, is missing. So he turns back toward Miami.

The Second Moon
02-18-2019, 03:39 PM
Day 17: 413 words.

A lot better than 0

April Swanson
02-18-2019, 11:14 PM
Second Moon: Yay for shiny idea!

Layla: Woohoo for 1/2 page and first customer! *High fives fellow Voyager fan*

Keithy: DS9 is next on my list. Congrats for passing that 1k mark again.

Cindyt: I saw royal albatross in New Zealand and those buggers were MASSIVE. Great job drafting again. I like my chapters around 3-5k, but in recent years they’ve moved closer to the 2k mark.

Taylor: Nice work!

xenylic: I’m glad your mum’s surgery went well. Remember to take care of yourself too :Hug2:

Been up since 4 so super snoozy, but I did write 2k of this new project. I just couldn’t stand being on a break any longer! Anyway, we’ll see how it goes…

Day 18: Decent bit; 8 miles; discount pizza

WGough
02-19-2019, 03:54 AM
Day 18
Drive-by. Revision notes on a half dozen chapters or so. At the 75% mark. Bang Bang Shrimp. Yum! Car issues. Ack!

Hoping everyone has a good week.

xenylic
02-19-2019, 06:05 AM
Drive-by since I'm so wiped today.

Got 1,300 words done! Not the juiciest content that I ever wrote, but I'm okay with it. Also went back and practiced all the stuff I wanted to for piano.

Tried to finish off with a little fun, but didn't really feel into it tonight. Oh, well. Now to finish up my reading for tonight.

Layla Nahar
02-19-2019, 06:24 AM
Looks like a drive-by party tonight

Day 18

WIP - 1/4 page (and glad to get to it. I'm sitting a little shaky on the wagon…)
R/SC. more machine sewing; then went to the fabric store to get cloth for the next mock-up of one garment, and thread for another. Read some of the material for the health-care issue. made my lunch for tomorrow.
$$ - a little bit of audio work, a little bit of indy work

Yesterday

WIP - skip day
R/SC - earning service, sewing
$$ - wee bit of indy research

Keithy
02-19-2019, 06:43 AM
Cindy, I named the ship swiftsure because Shana is sure she wants to get off it, and swiftly. Your work rate is impressive as usual.

Second Moon - congratulations on your increase in word count. I think it's an increase by infinity, but I'm not sure.

April - yay, pizza!

xenylic - 1300 words down on "paper" is better than none, because some of them can be good, and the bad ones can be made better.

Right, despite some family nonsense, I did 1403 words today, so I am in with a shout of my 50000 words target by the end of this month. I am currently ~5500 short of that mark. Shana has been listening to the ship's men telling tales.

Keep swimming! :)

Cindyt
02-19-2019, 07:16 AM
Day 18

Draft - 1042

Research - Catheters.

April - WTG on 2k. In Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, if you killed an albatross it would bring bad luck. In my novel just the appearance of one is a harbinger to tragedy.

Gough - Nice work! I’m a bit pasted the halfway mark myself.

Layla - YaY for ¼ page! I wanted to drive by so I could continue reading about truck stop murders in Texas, but forced myself to the fun grind.

Keithy - That name is clever. WTG. on the word count!

Billy begins investigating the disappearance of ex lover Lola Jordan. He arrives at her cottage on Biscayne Drive before the CSI guys and gathers evidence and hits pay dirt.

KayMitch
02-19-2019, 07:43 AM
Well I'm 18 days late to the party, but I wrote 226 words today which is the first I've written since like.... Early January so go me. I've decided to try rewriting one of my old manuscripts in first person to see which version I like more.

Other updates on my life. My rescue puppy is officially 8 weeks old today and finally a real puppy. I didn't realize how newborn like he was until recently. I got him at 3 weeks old after someone rescued his litter from being dropped in a river, and he was seriously just a little dollop of puppy that barely moved and needed soft food and had to poop every 30 minutes. Now he runs and plays and barks and knows sit, down, and to ring the bells to go outside to potty. My older dog absolutely adores him and lets him climb all over her and chew on her. And I got my deceased pup's ashes back a week ago and that hit me hard again. It's a little strange still to wake up in the morning and not have his goofy face and giant ears pushed up against me. They say time heals all wounds and since I'm writing again, I guess that must be true.

The Second Moon
02-19-2019, 04:05 PM
Day 18: 475 words.

Yay.

starrystorm
02-19-2019, 04:50 PM
DAY 18: Wrote 500 words on my survival novel.

Completed a checklist of things I need to change on my UF. I wrote everything down by chapter then I highlighted each chapter by how difficult it was going to be red for hard, yellow for tricky, and green for easy. It was strange how it played out in the end. My first three chapters were all red, then the middle was yellow, then the ending was green. Only a few chapters needed nothing changed.

Taylor Harbin
02-19-2019, 06:56 PM
Now through Chapter 6, and the level of detail is only growing. My eyes are so tired.

April Swanson
02-19-2019, 10:31 PM
WGough: Yay for 75%! Hope your car gets fixed pronto.

xenylic: It’s not always gonna be fun, but you still got a crap-ton of words down, so well done!

Layla: 1/4 page for the win.

Keithy: 1403! Those words are flyin’!

Cindyt: I imagine the bad luck would come from all the albatross’ pals coming to take their revenge. I have nothing to say regarding your latest research topic :P

KayMitch: Sounds like you’re on a real emotional rollercoaster, so any words are a win :)

SecondMoon: Nice work!

starrystorm: I always find the beginning needs the most work. I think it’s because you don’t really know the book when you start out — even if you’ve planned it.

Taylor: I use f.lux on my computer to block out blue light, which might help those peepers?

Wrote 2600 words, mostly exploratory waffle, but I’ll take ‘em. I also did a bit of world building. Gotta figure out ma magic system while sticking to as few rules as possible. Break-shmake.

Day 19: Decent bit; 8.5 miles (I MADE IT TO MORDOR!)*; be still, my beating heart

*FYI I’m doing the Walk to Mordor challenge :) Now I ride an eagle to Minas Tirith, and then it’s onwards to Isengard. Don’t know why the eagle couldn’t take me all the way home …

Taylor Harbin
02-20-2019, 02:37 AM
WGough: Yay for 75%! Hope your car gets fixed pronto.

xenylic: It’s not always gonna be fun, but you still got a crap-ton of words down, so well done!

Layla: 1/4 page for the win.

Keithy: 1403! Those words are flyin’!

Cindyt: I imagine the bad luck would come from all the albatross’ pals coming to take their revenge. I have nothing to say regarding your latest research topic :P

KayMitch: Sounds like you’re on a real emotional rollercoaster, so any words are a win :)

SecondMoon: Nice work!

starrystorm: I always find the beginning needs the most work. I think it’s because you don’t really know the book when you start out — even if you’ve planned it.

Taylor: I use f.lux on my computer to block out blue light, which might help those peepers?

April, I have that ap on mine as well, but I’m waiting for my computer to get fixed. I’ve been editing a hard copy for the last several days.

WGough
02-20-2019, 04:10 AM
Day 19
Revision notes on one and a half chapters of Book II.

xenylic: Nice word count. Rest up!

Layla: Congrats on the 1/4 page!

Keithy: Wow! Great work.

Cindyt: Catheters all around! Nice word count.

KayMitch: So glad to hear from you. Sounds like an interesting writing project. Puppy sounds so fun. And a smarty. Congrats.

The Second Moon: Yes, yay!

starrystorm: Nice drafting. I like your method.

Taylor: Congrats on your progress.

April: Waffle or no, that's a ton of work. Congrats!

Keithy
02-20-2019, 04:19 AM
Just finished for the day (and it's been a difficult day)

Cindy - catheters - yikes!

Kaymitch - well done on the 226. Hello to the puppy too.

Second moon - 475, yay from me.

Starrystorm - 500 words sounds like survival (and progress)

Taylor - I'm hoping this computer stays alive for a while longer. It has occasional hiccups.

And well done April for your 2600 words.

As for me, despite more family nonsense, I wrote 2093 words. It's story time for the sailors and Shana has listened all agog to the tale of Captain Dirk and the Black Demon, a nautical tale featuring the Knight of the Spoon and Zareth the Unspeakable, also known as King of the Ocean Demons, the Lord of the Deep and the Sovereign of the Seas. It's really fun to write a story within a story, and this one is a myth that combines traditional ideas with some odd quirks.

Just keep swimming! :)

xenylic
02-20-2019, 05:35 AM
Keithy: Holy crap! Nice job, Keithy!

WGough: Way to keep on top of those revision notes!

April: Damn, you killed it with word count today! Awesome job, and go wild with that exploratory phase!

Taylor: Hope you can get fully rested tonight. Way to knock out Chapter 6!

starrystorm: That's a cool system! Congrats on the 500 words too!

The Second Moon: Great work!

KayMitch: Long time no see and welcome back! It's so tough to get into the writing groove after such a long break, but you're handling quite well! And that's so cute, with your new pup! I'm sure he will be a bundle of joy for you for years to come!

Layla: Methodical as always, Layla. Great job with all that prep, and the quarter page!

1.1k words done today for me! One more day for this week, and then I've got my long weekend. :D

In other news, went through my classes relatively painlessly today. Had myself a couple hours of genuine fun with video games, and now approaching some of my reading and late night exercises. See you all tomorrow!

Layla Nahar
02-20-2019, 06:25 AM
Keithy - good to hear about your 1403 :)
Nice work with the 1042, Cindy
Ah, Kay. Good to see you. You got a lot of room in your heart. Congrats on the 266.
Yay, indeed Moon. WTG with the 475!
Whew starry - revision work and new words - nice work!
Keep on keeping on Taylor!
APRIL! You're back in tha saddle! Congrats on the 2.6K (magic systems are the bane of my existence.)
Nice work, Gough
Dang, back at it Keithy - congrats on the 2K!
Xen! Methodical? You and me both! Congrats on that 1.1k

Day 19
WIP - 1/4 page. I'm hoping to get some clarity about the magic in my world, trying to let it come to me rather than pushing....
R/SC - earning service, called my employer to start a case for help with the insurance problem, sent the person who I spoke to the documents she requested. Did a wee bit of sewing & a lot of reading.
$$ - some review for indy

KayMitch
02-20-2019, 07:47 AM
Drive by, but hey another day of writing go me. 761 words today <3

Cindyt
02-20-2019, 11:21 AM
Day 19

Draft - 1027 (3 pages)

April - My MC has been in a coma for three months, so there’s tubes stuck up everywhere, if you can dig that. 2600 words! Wow!

Gough - WTG on revisions!

Layla - YAY ¼ page!

Keithy - 2093!

My editor okayed a Halloween article in March. :Sun: It’s a true ghost story ripped out of my childhood. I’ve titled it The Lurker.

The Second Moon
02-20-2019, 03:58 PM
Day 19: 1,423 words

That's almost 1.5K! :hooray:

BTW, I've reached the final part of the last short story in this collection. Editing is coming up. I'm so scared. :scared: But I know my beloved characters will stick with me. :heart:

starrystorm
02-20-2019, 04:54 PM
DAY 20: Wrote about 450 words to redo chapter two. It feels more like a crappy first draft. Also, I think I might have picked the wrong setting again, but I don't know.

Kay- Hooray for another good writing day!

Cindyt- Wow, 3 pages is impressive.

SecondMoon- Editing is scary at first, but then it just gets annoying. :D Actually, sometimes it's fun since it makes you see your book in a whole new way.

April Swanson
02-20-2019, 09:19 PM
WGough: I’m so envious you’re at the revision stage. Can we swap places?!

Keithy: Amazing! And even more impressive given the Life stuff you’ve got going on.

xenylic: Woohoos all round!

Layla: I’ve stapled my bum to the saddle and superglued the saddle to the horse. Re magic, my plan is to put down a couple of general principles, then make the rest up as I go. Good luck!

KayMitch: Nice!

Cindyt: Awesome news! Congratulations :)

Second Moon: You’ve got this. If your characters stuck with you through drafting, they’ll hang around for edits :)

starrystorm: A crappy first draft still beats the blank page!

Wrote another 2.6k and did a smattering of world building. Not too shabby.

Day 20: Decent bit; 7.5 miles; spine whine

elmoujabber
02-20-2019, 10:16 PM
Just joining in! I'll edit a chapter a day. I'm currently on chapter 8 out of my 36.

Keithy
02-21-2019, 05:22 AM
Xenylic, Cindy & Second moon - congrats on being in the 1K+ club

Starrystom - as GRRM says, it'll be done when it's done.

April - oh, great total! Sending metaphorical hat doffing your way.

elmoujabber - greetings and felicitations at your induction into our merry band!

OK, no family stuff today - that was getting tiresome. I wrote 1559 words. Shana was sent all unknowing to a brothel as a new recruit - they don't have brothels where she comes from. I repurposed the Shana-beats-up-the-rapist scene and she left; after that, she met up with one of her associates... the grumpy one.

Keep swimming!

WGough
02-21-2019, 05:49 AM
Day 20
Revision notes on three chapters. Three chapters to go.

Keithy: Amazing word counts. Love the story in a story.

xenylic: Congrats on another great word count.

Layla: WTG on your 1/4 page!

KayMitch: Getting back into it. So good to see you're back.

Cindyt: Oooo, The Lurker. Creepy! In a good way.

The Second Moon: Holy crow, that's some serious wording!

starrystorm: Way to think it through. Nice logos.

April: Not too shabby is right! Yes, absolutely we can switch places. After a month of poking at this thing, I'd rather be drafting!

elmoujabber: :welcome: A chapter a day is a great goal. Feel free to talk process. I'm always looking for revision tips. Best of luck!

xenylic
02-21-2019, 05:56 AM
Keithy: Well done, way to punch in that 1559!

elmoujabber: Welcome aboard, and good luck on those edits!

April: Not too shabby at all. Congrats on 2.6k!

starrystorm: Aw, man, I hate when that happens, but at least you've got some internal compass in mind to lead you to the right setting. Whatever changes take place, however much of the pain they are, always seem to be worth it. Nice job with the rewriting!

The Second Moon: I know how that feels right now! I'm closing in fast on my ending, although I still got another book in the tank for these characters. Excellent word count and finish strong!

Cindyt: Oh, that's awesome! I hope you enjoy writing that article, and great word count today!

KayMitch: That's all I need to know! Keep it up!

Layla: I HATE trying to create magic systems, which is a big problem since I pretty much exclusively write SF/F. It always feels like such a chore to find out even the minor stuff about what I want to be possible. Hopefully it clicks for you soon enough; that stuff can really sideline progress at times.

WGough: Yay! The countdown begins!

1.2k and checking out this week for Book #2. I am 300 words shy of 150,000 words, and dare I say it, the climax might actually be in my sight! Holy hell, I really really hope I can finish this up before May. My extended winter break already feels so far away already, but at least I'm still fleshing some things out to save me a few hours of revision.

Anyways, I'll be back in the chair Monday. Good luck with your writing, everyone!

Layla Nahar
02-21-2019, 06:16 AM
WTG Kay!
Most def a not too shabby day, April. Nice!
Hello elmou & welcome!
Keithy, brothel mayem is always a plus :D
Getting closer, Gough !
Nice work, Cindy (this time I almost called you Xindy. (That's a goodun too) )
Dang, Moon it sure is!! :D
Congrats ont that 450 starry
Xen - Congrats on the 1.2K - and thanks for the cheers/encouragement with this sticky bit (it's a big bit…)

Day 20
WIP - 1/4 page.
R/SC - earning service, read more from the brochure, sewing. Went to the liberry :) & got more books. (incl Sanderson's Elantris. I just read a short/novella from that world, 'The Emperors Soul')
$$ - some indy review; recorded audio & put it on a web page.

Cindyt
02-21-2019, 07:25 AM
Day 20

Draft - 1146 (4 pages)

Research - Valium. Film/TV characters who cackle. Cost per day in a lux hospital room in 1985

Moon - WTG on 1423

Starry - 450 pages is excellent.

April - Not too shabby a day at all.

elmo - :hi:

Gough - Awesome revision!

Zen - WTG on 1.2k draft! You are doing very well reaching your goal!

Layla - Congrats on ¼ page

Keithy - 1559 words! Wowzers.

elmoujabber
02-21-2019, 07:47 AM
Thank you for all your kind words. I'm so excited to be a part of this thread. Forgive me if I miss anyone as I am trying to get acquainted with each of your goals!
Keithy: 1559 is no easy feat. I'm lucky if I can get 500 words a day! I admire your resilience.
Wgough: Great job! I appreciate that. I find it very hard to stay motivated during the editing process.
xenylic: 1.2k is great! I commend your dedication!
Layla: Nice job! I love Sanderson, let me know how the series turns out. My favorite is his Mistborn series!
Cindyt: Four pages is excellent for a days work!

I revised Chapter 8. I've been avoiding cutting out a scene...finally had the courage to do it. Tomorrow will be Chapter nines turn! I have an out of state concert so it's going to be a tough day!

The Second Moon
02-21-2019, 03:18 PM
Day 20: 1,006 words.

I'm so close to finishing this first draft.

starrystorm
02-21-2019, 05:07 PM
DAY 20- 869 words written longhand. I started typing them up, but couldn't finish. I don't know how much I'll get done since today I'm starting my first part-time job at a church.

Taylor Harbin
02-21-2019, 05:21 PM
Almost made it through Chapter 7, but alas, too much has to be fixed. Now I’m going to miss three days of work because my job is sending me to a weekend conference.

April Swanson
02-21-2019, 08:49 PM
elmoujabber: Welcome! Good luck meeting your goals.

Keithy: I approve of your word count and Shana’s actions.

WGough: All that poking will be worth it in the end though :)

xenylic: Wooft, I can’t imagine writing something so big! Well done for smashing over 1k. Enjoy your weekend :)

Layla: Yay for books and 1/4 page!

Cindyt: My hands down cackling fave—Yzma from The Emperor’s New Groove, in cat form :D

Second Moon: Go you! Start playing that Rocky music.

starrystorm: Nice work!

Taylor: Maybe three days away from a pesky chapter might not be a bad thing.

I managed 2700 today, then did a bit of character work and tried to figure out what comes next in the story. Me stuck. I’m hoping the answer will magically appear sometime between now and tomorrow morning.

Day 21: Decent bit; 6.5 miles; Feb-sweats

elmoujabber
02-21-2019, 09:08 PM
Excuse my quick post, I'm running late. Woke up at 4 am so I could work on editing. I just finished chapter 9. I'm going to be so tired during the concert but I'm happy I did it! I'm heading out the door now. Good luck everyone hope you all accomplish your goals today!

WGough
02-22-2019, 04:56 AM
Day 21
Revision notes on one chapter.

xenylic: Great word count. Have a good weekend.

Layla: Congrats on the 1/4 page. I liberried myself today after the day job. Finally picked up Less.

Cindyt: Drafty, drafty, catchy monkey.

elmoujabber: Nice editing! 4 am? That's some dedication there. Have fun at your concert.

The Second Moon: Great word count! So close!

starrystorm: Way to draft!

April Swanson: 2700 words is remarkable! Pace it out. Walking up and down the hall, I run dialogue exchanges and narratives in my head that get me unstuck. Then run for the laptop before it all eeks out of the old sieve that is my brain.

Taylor: Have fun at your conference. The mss will be eagerly awaiting your return.

Keithy
02-22-2019, 05:58 AM
Xenylic, congrats on your excellent word count.
Cindy/Xindi - same congrats for you. Valium? Oh.
Second moon - yay. 1006 words!
Elmoujabber - I've tried working that late and it's not fun.
April - Oh, that is a mountainous 2700 words. Sending deep obeisances to you.

Everyone else, well done. Every little helps.

OK I spent some time working on a letter, and this evening we played scrabble. I won at scrabble again, yay, third time in a row. 545 words today. Ella (the grumpy old woman) took Shana to a stable and had her steal a horse. This is justified because it's an emergency: someone's attacking a castle with a ice demon, and it's their job to stop it if they can.

Keep swimming! :)

Layla Nahar
02-22-2019, 06:18 AM
I love reading your research items, Cindy. Congrats on that 1146
Congrats on that courage, elmo & on making the cut
Wooo! Moon - wtg 1K!
I hope the part-time job is fun (& that it doesn't take too long to find the balance & come back up to writing full steam :) )
Ach Taylor. (but those 3 days may give you a good new perspective & fresh energy, tho)
April - here's to magic happening
Woo elmo - that's hard core - congrats on getting chapter 9 down.
Nice work Gough
(ps - what kind of berry can't you eat?)
Keithy - tha Scrabble Killa - congrats on the 545

Whew. Day 21. Ima keep swimming but these waves…

WIP - 1/4 page
R/SC - earning service, called the health care providors who cut me off. The first person I spoke to was nice, she transferred me to a department where I waited for 30 minutes on hold and then the Automated Lady told me to call tomorrow and ended the call. LOL/crying. Wee bit of sewing.
$$ - uploaded another recording

Cindyt
02-22-2019, 09:33 AM
Day 21

Draft - 1088

Revisions, revisions, revisions--did I mention revisions?

Research - Alexander Pope poems. Scottish booze.

Elmo - It’s heartbreaking to kill scenes, isn’t it? I keep my deletions in a file.

Moon - Great word count and congrats for being close to finishing it.

Starry - You did go. Good luck with the job!

April - I decided on a stoned Daffy Duck. (It had to be a sound I heard before I lost my hearing.) Wish I could manage 2700 draft.

Gough - WTG on research.

Layla - ¼ is pretty darn good swimming.

Keithy -
Cindy/Xindi - same congrats for you. Valium? Oh. :roll: YaY on 545 words!

The Second Moon
02-22-2019, 04:44 PM
21: I finished the first draft pf my short story collection!!!!! :snoopy:

So, I wrote 610 words to finish it up and edited 8 pages.

April Swanson
02-22-2019, 07:40 PM
elmoujabber: Good grief, I admire your dedication!

WGough: You know, I need to do that more! I have a stumpy hall but I do have quite a long living room ...

Keithy: Remind me never to play you at Scrabble. (Yay 545!)

Layla: *tosses large inflatable swan*

Cindyt: Scottish booze? NOW YE’RE TALKIN’! (I am available for questioning :P)

Second Moon: Amazing! What a fantastic achievement — make sure you celebrate :)

Wrote 2683 words. Made a Voyager wallpaper for my computer. Ate too many salty snacks. Pretty standard day.

Day 22: Decent bit; 5.5 miles; oh captain my captain

Keithy
02-23-2019, 05:48 AM
Layla, keep swimming, don't let those waves beat you.

Cindy - you've not been drinking again have you? 1088 is good despite the (ahem) lubrication.

Second moon, it's great to finish something.

April - holy schmoly for that 2683. You'll need a new keyboard at that rate soon.

1269 words done today. Shana & co made it through an army besieging (not very well) a city by "acting normal". These aren't uniformed soldiers, and there was a distraction. Next she meets the other antagonist, who wants to make a deal. AND... I've reached 50000 words. The conclusion is in sight, although it will take 20-25K words to tell it.

Keep swimming

elmoujabber
02-23-2019, 07:09 AM
Wgough: Thank you! You keep up the good work!

Keithy: Haha by the end of it my brain was fried. Nice job on your 545 and your scrabble win ;)

Layla: Thank you! Nice job on the 1/4 page. Sorry about the health care. Those phone calls are such a pain.

Cindyt: It really is! No way! I do as well. I keep it in a sad little document called the rejected. Good luck on your revisions and research.

The second moon: Congratulations on your first draft. That's incredible!

April: Haha thank you! I just started the challenge so we will see by the end. 2683 is amazing...thats how much I write in a week. Great job and lol salty snacks will be the death of me.

Not going to lie... today was VERY hard. The concert was a blast but I came home at 3am and woke up at 7. I didn't want to edit....I JUST managed to finish up chapter ten. Now I'm going to crawl into bed and pass out. Good luck to you all!

Cindyt
02-23-2019, 09:33 AM
Day 22

Draft - 1076

Research - Stuff men in general and PIs in particular keep in their pockets. Limos. Post-traumatic stress disorder. 1985 antibiotics

Moon - Congrats on finishing the first draft and on the word count!

April - ¡Salud! :e2drunk: Contgrats on the word count. I haven’t created a wallpaper or an image in ages. Isn’t it fun, though?

elmo - I have days where I do not want to get up to pee, much less write. Keep swimming.

Keithy - :roll: 1269 is RAD!

I’m more than halfway through the first draft.:snoopy: I’ve learned so much about my characters. Billy revealed that he is a Vietnam Army Aviation vet with PSTD who is afraid to commit for fear of losing someone. He is married to his former DEADco boss lady, a secret he kept until she outed him after he was almost shot to death. This causes Carolina to cut him loose. What she doesn’t know is that Billy and Aphrodite lost a baby to SIDS, which destroyed their marriage, but they saw no point in divorcing.

WGough
02-23-2019, 07:25 PM
Day 22
Finished revision notes on Book II. On to revising in Scrivener.

Keithy: Wow, amazing work! You're nearly there!

Layla: Congrats on you 1/4 page. So sorry for your customer service woes. We've all been there. I hope they fix the problem soon!

Cindyt: Revise away! Love your draft description. Great obstacles.

The Second Moon: :partyguy: Keep that momentum!

April: Your word counts are inspiring. I'm almost finished with Deep Space Nine, then on to Voyager!

elmoujabber: Way to push through it!

Keithy
02-24-2019, 02:17 AM
Haven't done anything today - day off. Except recasting "Captain Dirk and the Black Demon" as a separate story rather than one related by a sailor.

WGough
02-24-2019, 02:54 AM
Day 23
Revised one chapter.

Keithy: Bonus material. Nice work for your day off!

elmoujabber
02-24-2019, 10:03 AM
Cindyt: Congrats on being more than halfway through your first draft.

Wgough: Nice job! I've heard about Scrivener? Do you reccomend it?

Epic fail today. :/ I couldn't finish the chapter today. I only did half...so much nonsense came up. Feeling depressed. Hope ya'll had more luck than I did!

Cindyt
02-24-2019, 10:53 AM
Day 23

Draft - 1027

Research - Expensive French champagne. Viet Cong war dogs.

Revision - 2 scenes

Submit - Voice newspaper article, The Lurker.

elmo - But you did something. That’s what counts.

Gough - WTG on revisions!

:snoopy:Red Letter Day! After being a moderator for 9+ years, findadeath promoted me to Admin.. We just have a mere 26k+ members. :roll:

April Swanson
02-24-2019, 01:36 PM
Keithy: 50k! Amazing :)

elmou: Oh my goodness, you edited on four hours sleep?! Kudos. Glad you enjoyed the concert. Don’t beat yourself up about not finishing the chap — if nonsense was arising, then it’s a sign you need a break.

Cindyt: It’s SO fun. I’ve spent many hours making ones for Dragon Age Inquisition and Jon/Dany/Rhaegar/Lyanna. I’m such a geek :cool:. Yay for 1ks and passing the halfway mark AND being promoted!

WGough: Yay for finishing another phase of revision! Oh, how was DS9? How were the women treated? The gratuitous shots/outfits have been increasing in this series of Voyager, and Seven of Nine is about to appear. I’m not thrilled.

No words. I’ve got a tricky chapter coming up and I’m trying to figure out what’s going to happen. I’ve been fiddling with it for 15 mins or so, going away, then coming back again. I need to draft again tomorrow so the answers better come soon!

Day 23: Wee bit; 4.5 miles; the catsuits comin’.

WGough
02-25-2019, 04:04 AM
Day 24
Revised three scenes, drafted 1138.

elmoujabber: Don't let it get you down. Half a chapter is awesome! Nonsense tends to prevail. Since I started using Scrivener about a year ago, I can't imagine going back to Word. Though I do, from time to time, when I'm sneaking at my day job. I'm fairly scatterbrained, and a hybrid plot-organic writer, so it helps when I'm looking for a specific chapter, idea, character sketch, setting, etc. since it's all there in the binder and I don't have to look through file explorer. Some of my friends find it overwhelming and get distracted when they use it. There's a bit of a learning curve, but you can find tutorials on YouTube. I just read the tutorial that came with the program.

Cindyt: Congrats on your word count, revision, fresh Admin status and dog champagne!

April: Way to think it out! DS9 has some strong female characters, but yeah, there's some gratuitous boobage. No way they were gonna let Jaksia Dax not appear in a bathing suit.

Have a great week, folks!

Keithy
02-25-2019, 05:14 AM
elmoujabber, don't worry, half a chapter is better than nothing. And it's difficult to finish one at one sitting.

Cindy - you're on the drink again?

Wgough, the irony being that Terry Farrell had sensitive skin so couldn't stay in the sun long. Hence during the episode "Let he is who without sin" she is nearly always seen under a tree.

As for me, I had little go at this during the afternoon to reach a total of 7500 for the week, which I thought would be an appropriate point to stop. So that means 648 words.

Shana has met the king and greets him as follows: “Hello, Your Excellency the P… King. I hope you are well. I am Shana. Um, can I help you with anything?” As you can no doubt guess, this is the first time she has met a king.

Keep on swimming swimming swimming...

Layla Nahar
02-25-2019, 05:32 AM
Hi all - sry 4 the driveby - still feeling very tired

Day 24
WIP - 1/4 page, and glad to manage it
R/SC - earning service; got my lunch ready for tomorrow
$$ - some work for my audio project, spoke to a colleague who is interested in being a test client for my indy project

elmoujabber
02-25-2019, 10:13 AM
cindyt: Thanks for the encouragement! Great job on accomplishing all that you did! Sounds like you have great time management.

April: Thanks so much. You're right, it helps to be reminded that breaks ok! Keep up the good work as well!!!

Wgough:All very true. That actually sounds amazing. I keep losing background information because it's in a million and five documents and notebooks. Thanks for taking the time to respond to me I'm definitely going to give it a try! Great job with your revisions and your draft. :D

Keithy: Thank you! Editing is just so difficult! 7,500 words in a week is incredible! Keep powering through it!

Layla: Great job on your WIP! Hope you get your energy back soon! Life can be exhausting!

Finished editing the chapter I was supposed to yesterday and edited the half of the next one. I decided on my day off this week I can catch up on the other half. I'm not going to beat myself up over it. Thanks for all the kind words! Happy writing to everyone!

Cindyt
02-25-2019, 10:47 AM
Day 24

Draft - 1026

Revision - 2 scenes

Research - Dog bite force. Dog breeds with lock jaws.

April - Good writing on the tricky chapter.

elmo - Congrats on finishing the chapter! We all need encouragement, and it’s nice to be a part of a group of generous people here.

Gough - WTG on revising and excellent word count

Layla - Get rested up soon!

Keithy - All my characters drink like fish. I am riding a wagon.:Shrug: Congrats on the word count.

Something whimsical: A character in my 18th Century historical has been reincarnated into my 1985 crime novel. Harry the American Bulldog. Harry is real. I rescued him in 2009. Unfortunately, I was forced by circumstances beyond my control to rehome him. It broke my heart, and I'm still grieving for the big guy. But including him in my books is a bit like having him with me in spirit.

Taylor Harbin
02-25-2019, 05:18 PM
Back from the history conference. Now I’m torn between wanting to continue writing fiction or take a shot at academic articles. Meanwhile, made it through Chapter 9 this morning. Large chunk of Chapter 8 will have to be rewritten but I’m pleased how much of Part III holds water.

April Swanson
02-25-2019, 07:18 PM
WGough: Way to hit the ground running with those revisions!

Keithy: 7.5k for the week is awesome!

Layla: Yay for a sleepy 1/4 page!

elmou: I also use Scrivener. I sometimes miss the simplicity of Word, but I used to have so many docs open during drafting, it’s now such a relief to have everything in one place. Also, I now have one Scriv file per project rather than hundreds (I stupidly used to have a new file for every chapter and its synopsis). Great job editing!

Cindyt: Aw, Harry! Glad you get to be reacquainted in words.

Taylor: Nice work finishing Chap 9.

I managed to do some unsticking and wrote 2702. The next couple of chapters are unspooling, which is nice. It seems I go 5-6k then hit another roadblock. Ah, the joys of writing without an outline!

Day 25: Decent bit; 7 miles; indulgent snoozing

WGough
02-26-2019, 05:01 AM
Day 25
Revised three scenes. Cut, cut, cut.

Keithy: Nice word count. Oh, that Shana.

Layla: Congrats on the 1/4 page. Feel better!

elmoujabber: Great work! Love the attitude. If you give Scrivener a go, let us know how you like it.

Cindyt: Another 1K+ day! Ah, the jaw-locking myth. As the owner of bully breeds, I hear it a lot. Oh, Harry. American bulldogs are amazing animals. Great way to keep him close.

Taylor: Great job editing! Sounds like you're feeling good about it.

April: That's some serious managing. Wow! Same. I rack up the words then crash spectacularly. Glad to know I'm in good company!

xenylic
02-26-2019, 06:12 AM
WGough: Keep on cutting!

April: 2,702 words is some fine unsticking. And too true! Fake it til you make it!

Taylor: Nice job on the rewrites! I think if you're not dropping a current project in the process, it's never a bad idea to try a hand out on other writing we might be interested in.

CindyT: That's a bittersweet feeling. Excellent writing/revising today!

elmoujabber: That's the name of the game. Botch a day or two, reset, make up for it. Props for using your day off to play catch-up. That's some serious dedication.

Layla: Nice 1/4 page, Layla! As for your colleague, that's exciting! I always find it reassuring when my friends show genuine interest in my big projects.

Keithy: A damn good week for you, I'd say! I hope Shana doesn't get into to much trouble with this king she's met!

Wrote 1.1k today! I also have been a lot more on top of exercise stuff this weekend, but reading…not so much. Hopefully I'll get some serious pages read tonight before bed, but otherwise, a good start to the week.

Now, if I could stop putting every fiber of energy into resisting the urge to rush through the last few beats of this book, that would be great.

See y'all tomorrow!

Taylor Harbin
02-26-2019, 06:23 AM
WGough: Keep on cutting!

April: 2,702 words is some fine unsticking. And too true! Fake it til you make it!

Taylor: Nice job on the rewrites! I think if you're not dropping a current project in the process, it's never a bad idea to try a hand out on other writing we might be interestes in.

I’m not dropping the novel for anything, and it is an intimidating prospect. Haven’t written anything for academic scrutiny in over five years, and those were just term papers.0

Keithy
02-26-2019, 06:32 AM
Cindy - excellent word count as usual. Try not to get bitten. Oh, and Shana can drink whisky in pints with little effect. A good thing because when she grows up she could cause a lot of mayhem.

April - amazing word count form you too. Sending metaphorical hat doffings your way. I'm a semi-outliner; most of what I've written is plotted a few chapters ahead. The ending is pretty much nailed down, I just need to get there.

Well done to all you editors. I don't envy you because I will be joining you in about 5 weeks.

I'm going to be watching "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" again, not because I love HP (it's OK) but I'm looking at the story structure with a view to comparing with my own.

As far as word count, I did 1891 words today, but it was a bit hard going at times. Shana is watching the army besieging the city she's stuck in building siege engines. She's also had a wistful conversation with a guard, who tells her that there's no place like home. Alas, clicking her heels together doesn't work: she needs a wormhole generator. Laying her hands on one is easier than you might think, but she will need to pay a heavy price to get a chance to use it, and that's if she can get it working.

Keep on swimming swimming swimming... or sailing, or whatever. :)

elmoujabber
02-26-2019, 07:03 AM
Sorry for a quick drop in, Monday-Wednesday are my hell days at work. I just managed to edit another chapter. I had a head hopping scene that I finally parted with. Great job with all the editing and writing you guys are all doing. Happy writing!!!

Layla Nahar
02-26-2019, 07:08 AM
Cindy - congrats on today's triple, and (((hugs))) about your 4-legged friend

Taylor, congrats on getting thru chapter 9 :D

That is some unsticking, April. Nice!

Snippity snip, Gough!

Congrats on the 1.1k, Xen - & reading, exercise, it's all good!

Keithy I've got a wormhole generator in my cellar - oh wait, those are termites :p Congrats on the 1891!

Day 25

WIP - 1/2 page (w00t)
R/SC - earning service, called about the health care stuff - got thru to a Person(!) & she was helpful - still have a few hoops to jump through, but it looks like some light at the end of the tunnel. Managed to fit in a little sewing, & laundry, & fed myself a nice meal
$$ - spoke with someone who asked for my audio portfolio link!

Cindyt
02-26-2019, 09:17 AM
Day 25

Draft - 1068

April - WTG on the fabulous word count!

elmo - I once had to drop an entire plot line about a secret federal agency. That agency had been a part of my story for a long time. But I figured out a way to at least bring it back in a small way, and it works.

Gough - I found a list of dogs who reportedly have locking-jaws, and another site that said it was a myth. Soooo, I just say that he has him down with his jaws gripped around his throat like a lion with an antelope. Swim and cut and swim and cut cut cut.

Zen - Congrats on 1.1k! I rushed through the last part of my historical. It was nasty. Lol.

Layla - Another half page!

Keithy - Excellent word count. We are Cherokee and can’t handle booze. Most of the big drinkers are dead now as a result. And my husband is in Mexico for his antics.

Taylor Harbin
02-26-2019, 06:15 PM
Made it through Chapter 10. Close to the end of Part III! Trying to keep the anxiety at bay and shut up the voice that says “nobody will read this.”

April Swanson
02-26-2019, 09:41 PM
Taylor: I find the voice that says ‘nobody will read this’ to be quite helpful. It’s the one that says ‘people will read this and judge you!’ that I have to shut up :) Well done for pushing through another chap.

Cindyt: Is that Harry in your pic? Enjoy the 1k club :)

Layla: Yay for 1/2 page and tasty food :)

elmou: Ah, head-hopping. This is why I prefer 3rd omni: I can hop all I like :D Great stuff editing another chapter despite the beastly day job!

Keithy: HP is also my go-to plot study. JK is a master of storytelling. 1891! Smashin’ effort.

xenylic: Great job!

WGough: Happy chopping :) (As I’m drafting, I keep telling myself ‘I’ll cut this and that and this over here…’)

A slow, sluggish day, but I did manage to hit 2699. I’ve struck another wall, so I’ll need to return to the drawing board before drafting again tomorrow. Still, I’m nearing the 25% mark, so that’s fun.

Day 26: Decent bit; 4.5 miles; unnnggh

WGough
02-27-2019, 05:10 AM
Day 26
Revised six scenes.

xenylic: Great word count. I know that urge.

Taylor: I hate that voice. Slap it! Slap it down!

Keithy: Amazing job! Wow, five weeks. That's fantastic!

elmoujabber: Way to kill that darling. Nice editing!

Layla: Outstanding 1/2 page!

Cindyt: Congrats on 1K+! Love the new pic. That's a pretty boy! I'd be suspicious of any site claiming dogs' jaws "lock" as opposed to bite force. Unless the poor thing has tetanus, canine anatomy doesn't support the claim.

April: 2699 words is a slow day? Green with envy. Congrats on hitting the almost 25% mark. Hero material.

Layla Nahar
02-27-2019, 05:53 AM
Congrats on the 1K Cindy
Keep up the good work, Taylor
Dang April you fast!
Congrats on that revision, Gough
(& elmo sry I missed you just before my last post - any day we write is a great day!)

Day 26

WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - earning service, drafting a letter for the health care snafu
$$ - skip day

Keithy
02-27-2019, 06:12 AM
Cindy - good going with another 1K+. Hello to the pup too.

Taylor - don't be so negative. I've done that enough times and it doesn't help.

April - oh that 2699 is a serious total.

I did 1604 words today. The siege has started with Shana nearly being squashed by a piece of rock thrown over the city wall by a catapult.

Keep swimming!

Taylor Harbin
02-27-2019, 07:39 AM
Cindy - good going with another 1K+. Hello to the pup too.

Taylor - don't be so negative. I've done that enough times and it doesn't help.

April - oh that 2699 is a serious total.

I did 1604 words today. The siege has started with Shana nearly being squashed by a piece of rock thrown over the city wall by a catapult.

Keep swimming!

It’s fuled by my short story rejections and fears that this book is unsuited to market. But I’m trying to write honestly.

xenylic
02-27-2019, 08:00 AM
Busy day, and late check-in, so I'm gonna drive-by.

Cleaned up around my apartment, renewed my student password before it expired, and got an assignment done early for a change. Oh, and I did reading stuff too!

1.2k written on my book today, and an addition 250 words for homework piece. Feeling pretty productive :D

See you all tomorrow!

Cindyt
02-27-2019, 09:21 AM
Day 26

Draft - 1056

Edit: Chapter 4.

Revisions: revisions, revisions

April - That is indeed Harry. He was about 13 weeks old when I snapped it. I think you had a good sluggish day.

Gough - Harry is an American Bulldog-pitty hybrid. I just read a news bit about a woman’s bulldogs attacking her, and they would not let go of her. Of course, not wanting to and locking onto are two different things. I read the lock jaw bit on a list site. I don’t mention lock jaw when Harry attacks a thug who has just shot his human daddy. WTG on revisions!

Zen - You have reason to feel productive!

Layla - Half page. Woot!

Keithy - You had an excellent writing session today.

I spent most of today reworking my format and storing my work in my dungeon on Blogger. Yes, I do have Cloud, but it sooths my COD to keep it store it every which way.

starrystorm
02-27-2019, 04:51 PM
I've been in a writing slump for a month now. But a few days ago I managed 900 words on my survival novel.

April Swanson
02-27-2019, 05:04 PM
WGough: Six scenes ftw!

Layla: 1/2 page awesome sauce!

Keithy: Bravo for another crackin’ count. You’ve really cruised through this draft.

xenylic: Productive day indeed!

Cindyt: Harry’s a real cutie. Good luck with those revisions :)

Ah, starry, hang in there. 900 words is fantastic.

Hit my target of 2700 words, and worked out the next chap while on my walk. It’s weird, for donkeys now I’ve been struggling to stretch a story to novel-length, but this one is at 21k and I’m barely out the first act. Something funny is going on…

Day 27: Decent bit; 7 miles; shiny shoes!

Taylor Harbin
02-27-2019, 06:54 PM
Made it through part of chapter 10 this morning. Very close to the end of the section. Trying to come up with a way for character A to betray character B, but for reasons that seem completely logical for character A’s position and needs, not because they are generically evil.

WGough
02-28-2019, 04:10 AM
Day 27
Revised half a chapter. Yawny, yawny, yawn!

Layla: Congrats on that half page!

Keithy: You are on fire! Way to draft!

Taylor: Trust those instincts. It is what it is.

xenylic: Nice balance. Love those days. Another great word count!

Cindyt: Way to triple threat! Storage paranoia, I have it too! Cloud, external HD, thumb drive.

Keep at it, everybody! One more day.

Keithy
02-28-2019, 06:25 AM
Bit of a driveby here. Lots to do today, so only 186 words written. Shana and WG have got the wormhole thing working. It's making funny noises though, which is not unexpected given that it is a gateway to hell.

in other news, I won at Scrabble again! 4 times in a row. Also won at poker (that's rare for me)

keep swim swims

Cindyt
02-28-2019, 09:41 AM
Day 27

Draft - 1154

Research - Magnum bullets that can bring down a grizzly bear. .357. Dingos in Indochina.

April - WTG on the 2700 words

Gough - Yawny too. I tried to convince myself to take the day off and lost the argument. Good revisions!

My North Gwinnett Voice article now has its very own category. :snoopy:

Billy wallowed in self pity after Carolina abandoned him in his darkest hour, but he has decided to move on. Harry helps him, and I’ve introduced a kid that will change his life forever. The kid is also a reincarnation from my historical. Harry and the kid, Albert Siding, will appear in all my books. Albert is not based on a real person. :Shrug:

April Swanson
02-28-2019, 04:32 PM
Taylor: Good luck coming up with your character’s motivation.

WGough: Get some snooze!

Keithy: Yay for words and winning!

Cindyt: 1154 is very good for a yawny day!

2708 words. Mapped out the next couple of chapters. It’s all going rather well at the moment … I am deeply suspicious. Anyway, cannae believe that this month is over already. March, here we come!

Day 28: Decent bit; 7 miles; the hunger

Layla Nahar
02-28-2019, 04:33 PM
can only driveby because at work. Wrote yesterday; had a problem with a circuit breaker.

Taylor Harbin
02-28-2019, 06:20 PM
More progress on Chapter 10. Hand-wrote dialogue that I needed to insert on back of the page. Starting to think I need to make this a YA book to justify the word count, but we’ll see. The MC works better as a kid than a teen, IMO.

WGough
03-01-2019, 04:56 AM
Day 28
Finished revising one chapter. I have a crush on Janeway. Finished reading the devastatingly beautiful Less.

starrystorm: Congrats on beating the slump!

Keithy: Scrabble and writing the gateway to hell. Nice work! Does it growl like a tummy?

Cindyt: Congrats on draft, research, article!

April: Ride that breeze! Amazing work.

Layla: Yikes! Hope your breaker problem is fixed quick!

Taylor: Way to edit!

See y'all in March.

Keithy
03-01-2019, 06:09 AM
Cindy, still breezing along with another 1K+

April, great word count! You sound Scottish today! Sending haggis.

Taylor - oh, a kid POV sounds hard. It's been a while since I've been one.

WGough - no growls. Just screams and wordless, formless muttering and whisperings.

My progress today: 1597 words. The siege is on in earnest, and Shana has gone to find the king. Not an easy task, and she ends up helping defend a tower on the battlements with a few "walking wounded."

:)

Keep swimming!

Cindyt
03-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Day 28

Draft - 1200

Revisions: 2 scenes

February production - 32,577 for the month added to the total WIP makes 52k+ and a projected 37,066 to go on my first draft

Research - Charles Manson’s prison history. Glenfarclas.

Gough - WTG on revisions.

Keithy - You breeze. I stagger. :D 1597! :snoopy:

The Second Moon
03-01-2019, 05:12 PM
Sorry that I haven't been here lately. I've just been re-writing my short story collection. Since I've lost track of how much I've written I'm just going to continue posting my word count in March. I'll still write though.

Good job everyone who has edited or written!