Can you ever query Book 2 of a series if Book 1 wasn't (yet) picked up?

writera

Writ Era
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any circumstances in which this might work and has anyone ever done this?

I've got Book 2 written and prefer it in some ways more than Book 1, which almost feels like a prequel. The only problem is that Book 2 isn't entirely standalone. It picks up immediately following the end of Book 1 and makes a lot of references (in the beginning) to some events that happened in Book 1. I've tried to read through it as if it's a standalone book and it almost works. You get the feeling that a lot of stuff has already happened to the characters, but I'm not sure if the reader would assume it was a sequel right off the bat, more like it's picking up in media res. In fact, the more I think of it, I can't decide if it is standalone or not. It has its own mystery and self-contained story. It's just that all the characters were previously introduced in Book 1. Think of the film Scream 2 - it's own story but clearly a sequel, yet standalone, but references the original. That's the kind of feeling it has.

So could I query it? And if I do, do I mention Book 1 and do I call it Book 1 or a prequel - or just don't mention it? Thoughts?

(I have previously queried Book 1 and while it came close, it was never picked up.)

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got Book 2 written and prefer it in some ways more than Book 1, which almost feels like a prequel.

<<snip>>

Book 2 isn't entirely standalone.

<<snip>>I've tried to read through it as if it's a standalone book and it almost works.

<<snip>>I can't decide if it is standalone or not.

<<snip>>

So could I query it?

You could, of course - but I wouldn't. You say your first book came close to being picked up. That being so, use your skills to turn Book 2 into a confidently stand-alone piece. There's nothing wrong with writing the book before you write the book you're going to sell - I've done it myself. It's a slow and inefficient way to go, but it sometimes happens.

Give this book every chance - whistle some betas up while you take a break from it, then come back with fresh eyes and hopefully some good input from others. One more draft is probably not nearly as onerous as every other draft, and you might reap huge benefits.

Caveat: IANAA. I just have opinions. Oh, so many opinions.... ;)

writera

Writ Era
Registered
Reaction score
I've written a few drafts of it, but it's been sitting dormant as I've spent the last couple of years trying to get Book 1 picked up. But it's definitely been revised a lot - just as a sequel, not a standalone. My major issue is not being sure how to make it more standalone, if you know what I mean. It's like the movie Scream 2 or a later Harry Potter book. It has its own story, is even set in its own world, but the characters were introduced in Book 1 and it sort of feels like a sequel or later addition to a series, even if it can be read as a standalone piece, it's clear stuff went down before this book.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It has its own story, is even set in its own world, but the characters were introduced in Book 1 and it sort of feels like a sequel or later addition to a series, even if it can be read as a standalone piece, it's clear stuff went down before this book.

Yes but replace in Book 1, with Before the story opens, and you'll be referring to every novel, anywhere :) I think you're stymieing yourself by focusing on the fact that there is a Book 1 that already exists. Maybe try to approach it as though you just got some beta feedback that says roughly "I'm not sure where this came from" or "I'm not sure why they do this" and solve problems as you would if you'd always intended a stand-alone. Instead of accepting Book 1 as a complete entity, maybe try to see it as research notes - something to take from and build on, rather than something already written that you have to shoehorn in.

The more freedom you give yourself to step away from Book 1, the more efficiently this will work.

writera

Writ Era
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, that's definitely an interesting way to think about it. I'll have to try looking at it with that approach in mind.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Book 1 didn't sell. Query book 2. Never query a series with a book that isn't stand alone, every book in a series might be the first one a reader picks up.

Jeff

halion

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I guess a suggestion would be to ask a beta-reader what they think (after only reading book 2)

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I've sold book 2 of a series without selling book 1, but both are standalone. If you really don't want to give up on this MS, I would find a way to make it standalone and try again. Good luck!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
It feels like a sequel or an addition, because you know there's a previous book.
Get some new betas who don't know about Book 1, and have them read your story without tipping them off that there's a Book 1. See what they think is missing.
Probably not as much as you'd think.

I've read lots of series starting in the middle, 'cause that was the first book that caught my eye.
What's irritating is when the author feels the need to pretty much cut'n'paste the backstory into pretty much every book. If it doesn't matter to the book in hand, it probably doesn't need to be there.

If the character has an ex, we don't need to know the story of their unhappy marriage unless said ex is relevant to the story, and even then, maybe their side of a phone call would do the job.

Last edited:

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Think Harry Potter. The series start with him already having lost his parents and having a scar. And obviously, he has some magic talent. But there might have been another story before that. There could have been a book telling who his parents are, how they met, why they had to give him away and how did he get that scar. The current first book in the Harry Potter series could have just as well been Book2, with Book1 missing. The events of his past are hinted at, there are references about his parents and about a mysterious evil magician. And of course the audience has questions about them but those questions are not answered in that first book. It was perfectly okay for the story to start a bit later in his life because the story was self-contained. It wasn't a story about where Harry Potter came from, it was a story about how Harry went to a magic school.