The Expanse S1- S3, worldwide on Amazon Prime starting Feb 8

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The old Expanse thread dropped a couple pages down, so I figured I'd start a new one for this. Mods, merge if needed.

S4's in the last phases of filming, with no official release date (beyond some time in 2019), but Amazon Prime's gearing up the publicity machine by announcing the global release of the previous 3 seasons on Amazon Prime.

Link

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
good, cos it's been completely inaccessible in Oz for the last year.

I believe Australia's included in this; they only listed countries where Amazon Prime isn't offered, such as Cuba, China, and North Korea, as specifically not part of the deal (as one would expect - can't release something on a platform that locally doesn't exist.) The link had more details.

I own them on Blu-Ray, and may watch on Prime again, just to boost numbers. (Blu-Ray's definitely worth it for this show, IMHO.) And early word from cast and crew is that Amazon has been very involved and excited about generating hype - a ball SyFy kinda dropped, IMHO - so hopefully viewership numbers will only go up, ensuring that the rest of the book series makes it to screen.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Looking forward to this and see a marathon session on the horizon. I hope there won't be a long delay before we in the UK are offered S4.

Also hope it garners a bigger audience. Always worry about premature termination of a show and remember the damage that was wrought on seasons 4 & 5 of Babylon 5, when there were expectations there would be no funding for the final season.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And it's (e)X(panse) Day!

Seasons 1 - 3 now available on Amazon Prime. (Season 4's in post production; they just wrapped filming.)

Binge - you know you want to! ;)

TheMontess

Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to check what seasons we've watched (I think 1 and 2 on Netflix UK) - thanks for heads-up!

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to check what seasons we've watched (I think 1 and 2 on Netflix UK) - thanks for heads-up!

Yep, Season 3 is new for UK viewers.

Haven't watched it yet, but I think Season 4 has been filmed, so I am already wondering when that is going to be made available.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
So just marathoned the whole shebang and at a loose end now ‘cos there’s no access to S4 yet. Apparently the new season is slated for release later in the year.

Was feeling a bit smug with myself. Not my first SF rodeo, and sure enough I was right about the reveal for the big McGuffin, though probably anyone who’s read enough SF would have figured it out. There are only so many fixtures and fittings to kit out a SF story.

Doing my best to avoid spoilers...

Season 3 had a bit of a feel of two seasons zipped together, with a lid for the story arc for the first two seasons and then further exploration of the big McGuffin. Felt like they should have been standalones. The new story arc was never going to be able to compete with one developed over 2 seasons, nor did what I thought was iffy motivation for one of the Roci’s crew help matters.

Never mind. I’m invested by now and want to see more.

I like the cast and thought they acquitted themselves well. On a shallow note, I thought David Strathairn looked particularly craggy and commanding in beat up belter guise.

I have not read the books, so I was worried that might have been the last we saw of Chrisjen Avasarala, but it looks like she is in S4. It’s good to see roles for older women, playing competent and capable.

If you like SF, and were wondering whether it's worth the bother of checking out, oh, boy, is it! I wholeheartedly recommend you don't miss it.

Roll on S4, sez I.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
So just marathoned the whole shebang and at a loose end now ‘cos there’s no access to S4 yet. Apparently the new season is slated for release later in the year.

Was feeling a bit smug with myself. Not my first SF rodeo, and sure enough I was right about the reveal for the big McGuffin, though probably anyone who’s read enough SF would have figured it out. There are only so many fixtures and fittings to kit out a SF story.

Doing my best to avoid spoilers...

Season 3 had a bit of a feel of two seasons zipped together, with a lid for the story arc for the first two seasons and then further exploration of the big McGuffin. Felt like they should have been standalones. The new story arc was never going to be able to compete with one developed over 2 seasons, nor did what I thought was iffy motivation for one of the Roci’s crew help matters.

Never mind. I’m invested by now and want to see more.

I like the cast and thought they acquitted themselves well. On a shallow note, I thought David Strathairn looked particularly craggy and commanding in beat up belter guise.

I have not read the books, so I was worried that might have been the last we saw of Chrisjen Avasarala, but it looks like she is in S4. It’s good to see roles for older women, playing competent and capable.

If you like SF, and were wondering whether it's worth the bother of checking out, oh, boy, is it! I wholeheartedly recommend you don't miss it.

Roll on S4, sez I.

The mid-season "turnover" was, in story terms, where Book 2 ended and Book 3 was compressed. (It worked for a whole book because it added several characters to stretch things out, but I'm good with how they condensed it into half a season for the show; it would've been a little sprawling to include every new player from the book. There's also a brilliant tweak on book expectations in the final episode, where readers expected one thing to happen and they did something else.) Book 4, which takes us through the ring gates to one of the first extrasystem colonies, gets its own whole season, from what I understand - and the book arc definitely would support it.

You might want to read the books to tide you over; enough has been changed that they're a little more like parallel worlds than exact beat-for-beat copies, but both are enjoyable.