What Gives?

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
About three years ago I had a query that resulted in full requests from over 50 agents. A few of them agreed to see it again after a rewrite. One wrote me a long letter with suggestions. One actually signed me up for six months before we mutually agreed to sever the relationship.

Since then I've totally rewritten the novel. In the last two years I've sent the query out to around 40 different agents and 30 of them have been no response, with ten form rejections.

What gives? Have things changed in the marketplace so much in the past three years that a story almost every agent wanted to see is now a story that no agent wants to see?

Last edited:

halion

Registered
Reaction score
It would be nice to see a 'what is hot in the market industry page'.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing gives - could be any number of reasons. Tastes do vary and change over time, and if you've totally rewritten the novel you're not comparing like with like.

Understandably frustrating perhaps, but it's just the way the cookie crumbles. And maybe a long letter with suggestions suggests the original manuscript may not have met the Query Letter's promise. Who knows?

I'm sure you are not alone in the experience.

Sympathy, and Good luck. :Hug2:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Since then I've totally rewritten the novel. In the last two years I've sent the query out to around 40 different agents and 30 of them have been no response, with ten form rejections.

These numbers track with many writers' experiences (in my experience talking with friends in writer groups and reading around on the internet and so on).

As it becomes easier to query, more people get into the game, and agents have more and more queries to work through. Hundreds per week. If I had a hundred queries sitting in front of me, I'd have trouble requesting pages on more than about ten of them.

halion

Registered
Reaction score
It's pretty difficult this current state of affairs I guess for novels which start of slow. Some agents want to only see the first 5 pages!

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's pretty difficult this current state of affairs I guess for novels which start of slow. Some agents want to only see the first 5 pages!
How are you defining slow? Those first five pages simply need to be interesting enough to compel the reader to turn to the next page. That should be a basic criterion for any manuscript, and there are a multitude of ways to achieve it, including non-actiony. If "slow" equals "boring," there's a manuscript issue that needs to be addressed.

All the best,
Riv

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com

Some agents only want the first five pages because they can tell from reading them whether the writer who sent them can actually write. As a witty editor once said, you don't need to drink the whole carton to know the milk has gone off.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
My two pence: I think we have one hell of a glut going on. More writer submissions (than ever) and less sales = the door closing a little bit more. I've noticed this in my agent submissions, in my submissions, in reviews and sales numbers. YA has folded up in a number of places. I would expect to see genre and sub-genre cuts, but to cut an entire category is devastating to me, especially from the very large independents.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

The first five pages has been a standard request since the 1970s at least; it's not new.

An agent, editor or first pass reader can tell in the first five pages if you can write.

DMcCunney

Registered
Reaction score
My two pence: I think we have one hell of a glut going on. More writer submissions (than ever) and less sales = the door closing a little bit more. I've noticed this in my agent submissions, in my submissions, in reviews and sales numbers. YA has folded up in a number of places. I would expect to see genre and sub-genre cuts, but to cut an entire category is devastating to me, especially from the very large independents.
We most certainly do have a glut, and have for some time.

I've been following publishing for over 40 years. There have always been too many books chasing too few readers, and too many manuscripts chasing too few publishers. (Too many bookstores chasing too few customers as well, as witness what happened to Borders vs B&N.)

Back before the Internet Ate the World and eBooks and self publishing were even possible, I saw ABA stats that over 50,000 traditionally published titles per year were issued in the US. That's essentially a thousand new books per week. Who would buy and read them all? The answer was that most would not be bought and read. They would not find an audience, die on the shelves, and be returned for credit. Publishers all crossed appendages that enough of what they published would sell to cover the losses on what tanked and and make enough money for them to remain in business.

Now we have the Internet, eBooks, and self publishing, and it's more like a thousand new books a day. The same question arises about who would buy and read them, with the same answer only worse. It's supply and demand. Supply has dramatically increased. Demand has remained flat or declined.

And publishing has been contracting, as houses fold or are merged into larger entities and imprints may go away. Most publishers no longer look at unsolicited manuscripts. Reading slush was always an editor's least favorite chore, and they mostly don't have time now if they are willing to do it. Agents have become the gateways, and publishers tend to only look at submissions from recognized agents. The submission is no guarantee the publisher will think they can sell the book and make an offer, but at least it won't be "gouge out eyes with spoon after reading" bad. (And thinking about it, the shift from submitting a manuscript as hard copy to submission as a file attached to email is a factor, as it makes submission easier.)

And YA has been a relative bright spot. I was at a function at a B&N mall lo cation a while back. The store was on two floors. Pride of place on the ground floor went to the cafe, calendars, games, cards, gifts, magazines, and a couple of the current hardcover YA bestsellers. Actual books were upstairs. The ground floor was devoted to what sold. If it only carried books, that outlet would have been belly up.

I interact with the self-published/indie-published folks elsewhere. I tell them you must write, you must produce the best work you are capable of, and you must work your ass off to let your intended audience know that you and your work exist. But most important, you must have a benevolent deity who will work a miracle and give you a giant economy sized helping of luck. You will almost certainly not be lucky.

I say "Write because you must. Write because you can't imagine not writing. Write because you would do so if you were the only person alive and no one else would ever see your work. Don't write because you expect to get rich and famous and produce bestsellers and make a living at it, because you won't. If you can't deal with that, find another hobby."
______
Dennis

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
The irony, for me at least, is that when the agents wanted to see the book, it was obviously not ready. Now that it's ready, no one wants to see it.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The irony, for me at least, is that when the agents wanted to see the book, it was obviously not ready. Now that it's ready, no one wants to see it.

Works the same way with women (and possibly men, but I have no perspective to judge...).

Jeff