Anyone ever done any of those online Masterclass courses?

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
Have you guys seen those ads for various "Masterclass" courses on Youtube? The writer ones tend to play before some videos I watch, and last night I saw one for Dan Brown's masterclass. I went to the site and for $180/year you can have access to all of the classes, which includes:

Dan Brown (Writing Thrillers)
Judy Blume (Writing)
James Patterson (Writing)
RL Stine (Writing for Young Audiences)
Margaret Atwood (Creative Writing)
Malcolm Gladwell (Writing)
Shonda Rhimes (Writing for Television)
Aaron Sorkin (Screenwriting)
David Mamet (Dramatic Writing)

Those are just the "writing" ones. There are lots and lots of others that cover a range of topics from music to investigative journalism (could go in the above list, I guess) to film-making to poker to wine appreciation to conservation (Jane Goodall), and on and on.

I'm really tempted. The courses are $90 individually, which makes $180/year for unlimited access to whichever ones you want seem like a pretty good deal.

Any experience with these? I'm really tempted.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't. I was tempted to take Margaret Atwood's masterclass so I googled reviews of the various classes, which is what I'd recommend doing first.

As to whether you should take any or all of the classes—It depends, I think, on what you expect to get out of the classes. If you're beginning your writing career and are looking for tools, the masterclasses won't provide that. The classes are billed as "access to genius" and according to the reviews that's pretty much what they are: where the authors found inspiration for their most famous works (Atwood: The Handmaid's Tale), their writing philosophies, and some stories about how they got into writing. (I understand Margaret Atwood also shares her research for The Handmaid's Tale.)

ETA: I'm not suggesting you shouldn't take any of the classes, just that you should take the time to scope out whether the content aligns with your expectations first.

Last edited:

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm definitely going to research it a bit more. I love learning in general, so this would be less of "I hope these help me become a published author" and more, "I hope these enrich and inspire me in general ways." Obviously the ones dealing with writing are of particular interest, but there are a few others that I would love to do, namely the one on Investigative Journalism done by Bob Woodward and the one on Campaign Strategy and Messaging done by David Axelrod and Karl Rove. I'd probably enjoy the ones by Martin Scorsese, Ron Howard, and Hans Zimmer as well.

They have the lesson plan topics available for each class, so that's nice too.

Thanks for weighing in!

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I took James Patterson's class. I found it entertaining but useless - to me. It might very well be useful to someone earlier in their career. But by this time in mine I had already self-published seven books. I have a small but interested group of followers and am selling well by my modest standards. I've long ago hashed out all the issues that concern beginning authors: show not tell, prologues, the Hero's Journey - all the topics that keep coming up again and again and AGAIN in forums devoted to writing.

Here is a link to the outline for JP's class. I took about 30 minutes to go through each of them. Nothing new to me, nothing new, nothing new, ... I also disagreed with some of the suggestions JP made - which might, I repeat, be very useful to someone who's writing techniques mesh with his. But making a detailed outline (two lessons) for example is antithetical to what I've found works best for me - and might work well for you.

https://www.masterclass.com/classes/james-patterson-teaches-writing

So I'd suggest you examine the outlines of the classes that most interest you. If you can afford $180 for unlimited access to classes, that might be a good option. It would not be for me. I'm very expert at researching any topic, courtesy of a career that forced me to learn the skills supporting research.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I've been curious about these, too, but I always hesitate. I've found that people who are skilled at something (like writing) aren't always very good at teaching that thing. They can't always articulate how they do it. That said, I'm sure each course has *some* amount of useful information... I didn't realize you could look at outlines for the courses, so I might do that.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I've been curious about these, too, but I always hesitate. I've found that people who are skilled at something (like writing) aren't always very good at teaching that thing. They can't always articulate how they do it. That said, I'm sure each course has *some* amount of useful information... I didn't realize you could look at outlines for the courses, so I might do that.

THIS! I can't tell you how much this!

I've been in and around IT for nearly two decades now, and have come across some brilliant technical minds. At the same time, these brilliant technical minds cannot handle a classroom at all. Just because you are good at something doesn't make you qualified to teach it. It's always baffled me that high school teachers net to take specific courses to learn how to teach, but once you get to the collegiate level, hang that graduate degree on your lapel and suddenly they're qualified to teach?!?!

That said, I've also crossed paths with some who just naturally know how to take topics and transform them into brilliant instruction - even when the topic is not something they are a complete expert in. My own manager is one such person - didn't even graduate high school, but the man knows how to teach on just about anything from telephony to how to play the drums! (And I'm actually getting pretty good at the latter :) )

Back to the OP topic - when I first started seeing these Master Classes, I was highly intrigued. When names like Martin Scorsese, Steve Martin, and others are behind it, I am pretty sure it's legit. It became more of a self-analysis then where I asked myself "What are my goals and will this person help me achieve what I am looking for in that area?" The big takeaway for me was that it likely will not, primarily due to the online nature of it.

This could be because I am a teacher myself, and instruct both online and in person training. The online ones always suffer from lack of engagement and the ability to interact. Now many for writing it'd be different, but for me the answer was no, simply because of my personal subjective biases toward online delivery mechanisms and nothing else.

Take from this what you will...

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm midway through the Margaret Atwood class right now. I've picked up a couple of nuggets of wisdom, and I like the fact that there's a PDF workbook for the course which you can download and keep. However, I've a fairly experienced published writer, and I'm finding most of the lectures and exercises a bit too basic. But that's me. For someone who's still finding their way, I think the course could be really valuable.

Atwood herself has a tendency to drone a bit, but then she'll drop some wry comment and I find myself giggling. So I'm enjoying that aspect of the course.

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Save your cash for now. This is yet another way to part writers from their money. However big the name, there is no guarantee that what worked for them will work for you.

As to whether you should take any or all of the classes—It depends, I think, on what you expect to get out of the classes. If you're beginning your writing career and are looking for tools, the masterclasses won't provide that. The classes are billed as "access to genius" and according to the reviews that's pretty much what they are

Seconding what's in bold.

I did a spit take on the "access to genius" line. THAT is pure marketing hype. Ignore it. Some of those names are not my idea of genius. They sold a lot of books, doesn't mean they can write.

I have had access to genius: being in the same room as Ray Bradbury. I saw he was a kind and generous man and that there was no way I'd pin him down with writing questions. There was no need. All I had to do was read his books and stories to learn from him.

where the authors found inspiration for their most famous works (Atwood: The Handmaid's Tale), their writing philosophies, and some stories about how they got into writing. (I understand Margaret Atwood also shares her research for The Handmaid's Tale.)

That's a big problem for me: biography instead of actual help with writing. I've seen people praise Stephen King's book On Writing, so I caved and read a library copy and found it was absolutely useless as instruction. Instead of writing about writing, it was biographical stuff about his life and hard times. Since it was not my property I could not throw it across the room.

I was going through a bad dry patch then and short tempered.

Thank goodness the library had Lawrence Block's books on writing. His books were actually helpful and got me working again.

You want writing instruction from a master? http://lawrenceblock.com/series/books-for-writers/

They'll be at the library and via Inter Library Loan.

Minimum bio, no philosophical essays, but solid nuts and bolts. It'll be refreshing.

Maybe some of the writers there will have similar stuff, but it'll cost you to find out. If none of it works for you, it'll be a waste of your cash and time. There are so many no cost resources available on the 'Net, you don't need to bother with them.

This is all free, and the info applies to all writing genres, not just S.F. https://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/for-authors/

I've found that people who are skilled at something (like writing) aren't always very good at teaching that thing.

Seconding this!

In short--and I learned this from Job Bob Briggs, the Drive-In Movie King:

"If you can explain how to write a book, then you don’t know how to write one. If you can write a book, then you won’t be able to explain how you did it. It’s stupid, but it’s true."

That's from his Joe Bob's America column from the 90's. I'd get asked all the time, "How did you write that book?" and I choke on any reply. I'd have to go to a quick quip or be there for months walking them through the process.

But Joe Bob had the answer:

"The way you become a writer is you write. Every day. No exceptions.

"Nobody believes this. Everybody wants to believe in something called talent or inspiration or the knack for it. Maybe there is such a thing, but it has nothing to do with becoming a writer.

"So when someone says “I wanna be a writer--what do I do?” The first thing I say is “Go and write for two hours a day for two weeks, and then bring me what you’ve written.”

"To a professional writer, this is a very light writing schedule. But ninety-nine percent of them vanish forever.

"It’s too mundane. Nobody believes it."

I will add my humble addition: read 100 books for each one you want to write. Read all kinds of books, even ones you think you won't like. Read ones you hate, because you can learn what not to do!

Bradbury read his local library because he couldn't afford college. It worked out for him.

Don't be tempted by marketing hype. Keep your cash. I wish I had the Net back in the day with its resources.

Like this: https://accrispin.blogspot.com/2007/05/victoria-strauss-learning-ropes.html

Now get out of here, start reading and butt-in-chair writing, and be awesome at it!

Last edited:
Reactions: willfs

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
heh. Wrt phrases like "access to genius", I tend to place the weight on "access" rather than "genius". I've seen so many variants in the application of the word I no longer know what it means or if I even care.

While I enjoyed King's On Writing as a writing autobiography, I have to say I much prefer Bradbury's Zen in Art of Writing; I just finished re-reading it last night. Ray Bradbury's storytelling ability extended far past his short stories and novels. Within that collection of essays, he shows the wonder and significance in the most mundane of everyday happenings. Storyteller extraordinaire.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Everything I need to know from Atwood I got from this video.

Also, investigative journalism is not exciting. It's deadly, deadly tedious. Like, really bad. It's a lot like writing fiction every day except in rooms with worse ventilation and the editors are a lot meaner and also lawyers. If you really, really, really like reading statistics, memos, and filling out freedom of information request forms and putting them in envelopes, you will love it.

Investigative is about 15 months of slog followed by excitement that lasts 15 seconds until you find out you're being sued.