Don't forget your duty to AW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I think we need a critique pledge drive. Folks, we must not forget to help our fellow writers. I do enjoy the fun here, but I also think I have an obligation to pass on a few helpful hints to other writers.

So do your duty! For Jenna, goshwin, and fellow writers (poets have a special exemption).

Good writing!

P.S. Try to take me seriously...errr...without looking at my avatar.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
But your avatar is so... lovasmushable!

Seriously: Great idea. A Share Your Work critique pledge drive!

How many works will you pledge to critique this week?

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
But your avatar is so... lovasmushable!

Seriously: Great idea. A Share Your Work critique pledge drive!

How many works will you pledge to critique this week?
Seek out my sig...all is said.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
great idea Spooky, but umm hello, why are poets exempt?? ;)

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
P.H.Delarran said:
great idea Spooky, but umm hello, why are poets exempt?? ;)
It all started with Dylan Marlais Thomas many years ago. As a young Neurotic Poet, Dylan Thomas possessed immense gifts and talent which made him a professional success as a poet, but he was often a disappointment on a personal level because of his inability to focus on others work. He had wanted to become a writer of fiction, but felt that he couldn't contribute more than a stanza or two towards a meaningful story.

Much of this failure personally could have stemmed from an inability to deal with the extreme demands that came with the criticism he was required to give others, less notable characters, who relied on his objective point of view.

Some explanation must also lie in the various ways his personality have been described: alternately as bumble, shy, very confused and insecure on the inside, but outwardly neglectful, selfish, and egotistical--yet always, and extremely, charming.

So the story goes that Dylan was given a special exemption from critizing writers in the future. His only request was that other poets not suffer as he had, so the exemption was granted by Congress on May 22, 1921.

Of course, poets are more than welcome to participate. Everyone loves a good lie, and a tale.

http://www.neuroticpoets.com/

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=625813#post625813

Well, if anyone would like to take a gander... here's mine. Other than my roommate, you all are the first wide-spread audience I've *ever* shown my writing to. To say I'm nervous is an understatement. But hell, no pain, no gain, right?

:box:

Dang ETA: This isn't a critique, it's to be critiqued. I can move it somewhere else if you like.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am glad you reminded me. I have been way delinquent in my real AW duties (joking, having fun and riling people up were supposed to be secondary).

Come to think of it, I can't remember the last critique I gave on here, although I did a couple of manuscripts privately so far this year.

I used to do it all the time.

I will make it a point to go back and git 'er done a lot more.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good call Spooky. It's easy to get caught up in Office Party because...well... it's a party. And critiquing is almost kinda sorta like work... and who wants to work when you can party?

But the critiques are very important. For people who don't know anyone who can really scrutinize their work, point out the positives and the negatives, it's a great opportunity for them to get some constructive feedback. In fact, I think I'll go do some critiquing right now...

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
I'll just go ahead and pat myself on the back for spearheading this effort May 23 at 4:33 p.m. (which is, ironically, 29 years, 363 days after "Star Wars" first opened). Just by coincidence, Spooky is publicizing it. ;-) But I love the enthusiasm, kids. Keep it coming while the REST of us are contributing to the greater good (and you CAN see the broad smile, tongue in cheek and wink/nod I'm doing at the same time as I am typing this, right?) :) <---- Look, a smiley to indicate humor.

However, I think it's also important to let your butt hang out a bit and have your own work critqued as part of the exchange. Regardless of how high we soar, the sun still melts wax. :)

Excerpt of Chapter 8, "The Cerberus Dream" is here. Go crazy.

I'll provide some feedback for others later tonight, too.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Damn! This reminds me. I told Saritams8 that I was going to finish reading her chapter up for crit and haven't gotten back to it. Sorry Sarah! I'm on it today!

And Maybe I'll throw one out there for crit too. (but why does that make me feel like I'm in that dream where I'm walking around naked and people are pointing and laughing?)

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
But I'm terrible at critting!

Okay, I'll do two when I'm done writing for the day. And to those poor souls whose work I choose, I'm so sorry!

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
rtilryarms said:
I have been way delinquent in my real AW duties (joking, having fun and riling people up were supposed to be secondary).
I don't know, Mike... Reading my Dad's 450 page whopper has to count for something. :)

I started 2 weeks ago trying to do one a week, so far, so good. I'm going to keep it up. I still have to find my victim for the week. I don't count my comments on the poetry board because I do those for fun. :)

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saritams8 said:
I don't know, Mike... Reading my Dad's 450 page whopper has to count for something. :)

I read every 153,721 words of it. I liked it.

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I often read works presented in 'Share Your Work-threads'. I hardly think that I am qualified to give a critique, though. First because I have a hard time with the language myself, and second because I am so inexperienced a writer. Don't think my inputs would be appreciated.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tilly said:
But I'm terrible at critting!

I'm so sorry!

Most people are intimidated by the word critique. Critiquing is usually defined as "ripping it apart". But that is not true. A critique is a review and a commentary to a piece of work. It's OK to like it.

My role, as I see it, is as an evaluator from the viewpoint of a typical reader. I rarely delve into the technical aspects of writing because there are people far better than I to do this. I just tell people if it works for me or not. I f i like it, I should be able to identify why just as i am able to explain why I don't like it.

Sometimes I will be the only one who likes it or not like it, alone in the pack, but that is valuable information to the contributor too.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
The works are open to be reviewed by everyone. There's something you could add that might help; it might turn on a light for a writer that wasn't lit previously. There always is.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Melisande said:
Don't think my inputs would be appreciated.
Of course they would! Even if you just pipe in and say "Wow, I loved it!" or "I can't see anything that needs to be changed" or "That main character is really interesting." Input on any level is valuable to a growing writer. And by making your comments, you're encouraging others to join in the conversation, which is always a good thing!

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
The AW Forums acquired me at a little shop in the Heathrow airport, leaving England and heading for the United States.

Yes. That's right. I don't have to critique a THING!

MWHAHAHAHAAA! I'm duty-free!!

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.