Weed Tea Question

stevebargdill

Registered
Reaction score
So I have a question I can't seem to find on Google. Plenty of legitimate recipes for weed or cannabis tea online because the stuff has become so ubiquitous around the U.S. now. But let's say you've been given an already rolled joint back in the mid 1990s and you decided you didn't want to smoke it, but wanted to make tea out of it, how would you go about this?

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
Since THC is not water soluble, its pretty hard to get high off cannabis tea without decarboxolizing (sp) it first. You would have to heat the cannabis to activate it. Ive used cannabis in lots of ways, Ive put hash in hot chocolate before, but not in tea. Maybe someone else will chime in.

stevebargdill

Registered
Reaction score
Talked to some friends in RL earlier today. The answer is butter. You coat the weed in butter. Then you place the butter coated weed in a metal tea ball and simmer in already hot water, but do not boil. Not always the most effective, I'm told, but it'll do the job for what it needs to do in the story.

anaemic_mind

I come with accessories now
Registered
Reaction score
Any reason why they're not baking with it instead? That was very popular back in the 90s...least in the UK.

Koulentis

Troublemaker
Registered
Reaction score
You need to release the oils. Heat would release the oils. Soaking in a carrier oil (food-grade) could infuse the carrier oil. That could be where the butter suggestion is from.

You’re working with a small amount. Therefore, if your story allows for putting a little alcohol in the tea, I’d recommend a tincture. A tincture is basically soaking something in alcohol in order to infuse the alcohol. ‘Cannabis tincture’ is a real thing.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering, wouldn't the joint also have tobacco in it, and would this affect what is done with it?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Late 1970's, cannabis tea was made by steeping leaves in hot, not boiling, water. Joints are crushed leaves, with stems and seeds if your dealer/joint roller is mean, so unroll and steep. It was very ineffective at getting high, but great for stomach flu.

Jeff

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering, wouldn't the joint also have tobacco in it, and would this affect what is done with it?

No tobacco. Though dealers might cut it with anything, weed is cheaper than tobacco. Usually Greek oregano was the 1970s/1980s way to cheat buyers.

Jeff

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
No tobacco. Though dealers might cut it with anything, weed is cheaper than tobacco. Usually Greek oregano was the 1970s/1980s way to cheat buyers.

Jeff
That's interesting. In Australia all the pot smokers I know use tobacco in joints (unless they run out of tobacco, maybe). Makes the joint burn slower.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's interesting. In Australia all the pot smokers I know use tobacco in joints (unless they run out of tobacco, maybe). Makes the joint burn slower.

I ran with a different crowd, definitely not cannabis connoisseurs. :)

Jeff

carrie_ann

Registered
Reaction score

I had a friend from the Netherlands and that was their way too. Not really a thing in the States, at least not in my experience.

Carrie Ann <<< might be in considered in the cannabis connoisseurs crowd :)