What Drives You to Seek Trade Publishing?

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Hope this is the right place for this but I wanted to ask this question in the rejection and dejection section. I am curious as to the reasons some prefer trade publishing in the new age of the industry. What attracts you to trade publishing in this day and age specifically? Is it to fulfill a lifelong dream, validation, a fear of self-publishing, the hope of fame and fortune, does your genre do best in trade?

This came up in a discussion with other writers. Some self-published and some unpublished and seeking trade deals. People shared their goals for the new year and discussed why they chose the path they chose and the specific reasons.

I used to be trade-published for years and I gotta be honest, it wasn't really about validation or anything. When I started you didn't have a choice but to get a big publisher. There weren't many small presses out there who handled what I wrote, self-publishing for ebooks wasn't even around (you had to print books physically yourself and hock them around plus there used to be a big stigma), you HAD to be in bookstores to sell. So for me, it was a necessity to try to get a trade deal and not a choice.

Things have changed a lot since then and writers have more options. So that makes me curious about people who still want trade deals and what drives that. I admire those who stick it out these days and try to get an agent or publisher because it's hard work and you never know if it will pay off. But, if it were me, I would've gone straight indie if I started out today. There would be more advantages for me. First off, I write books starring POC characters and that's hard to get deals for in publishing. Secondly, the types of genres I write in do well in self-publishing and in ebooks in general so being in a bookstore or any of the other traditional perks to trade publishing wouldn't help me with my audience. My audience are primary ebook readers (based on the genres) so having a print book in a bookstore wouldn't fit me this day and age. I don't know if I'd have the heart or patience to put search for an agent or pub like I did back in the day. It took me almost ten years to get published and with all the options these days, I can't see myself waiting that long. I look back and admire my determination. I'm no quitter, far from it but I don't know how I got through that period in time without going nuts. I am glad something kept me going. The drive to be published was always so important because I wanted to share stories I loved writing with people who might enjoy them. That drive hasn't changed.

So I think of how I might be if I were a newbie today and so I wondered what keeps you motivated to trade publish these days with it being so hard and such a slow process? What is it that drives you and have you ever been tempted to self-publish or try another route?

Happy New Year!:partyguy:

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would be hopelessly bad at being my own publisher, and I wouldn't enjoy that side of it at all. I only love the writing part.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I want to continue to be a hybrid. One of the areas I write in, YA, does better in trade than in self-publishing, so I'd like to continue to sell to New York for that. But I love the freedom of writing crazy cross-genre stuff (hello, historical paranormal with mystery and romance elements!) and self-publishing or working through my author co-op publisher allows me to do that. And I enjoy a lot of the technical aspects of self-publishing--I love formatting and doing print layouts and creating promo materials--that's fun for me.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I am unpublished, but trade (for me, a new writer) is the better option. Less financial risk (from my end) and less work (finding an editor, cover designer, and so on). These reasons can be adapted to the financial concerns.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I always wanted to trade publish, although I was very happy when self-publishing became cheaper and easier. If digital self-publishing hadn't been an option, I don't know that I'd have had the courage to finish and query my first book.

I still prefer trade, for three reasons: reach, editing, and money. On top of that, I like seeing my work in print, and I've yet to see a POD book of the same quality as what I got from a big publisher.

Also, I'm with mccardey - I know these things can be learned, but I'm very low on the skills necessary to market my own stuff effectively.

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
This is such an intriguing question and I’m interested to see others’ responses.

My bucket list goal was never to get published, but rather to write a book that I felt was worth publishing. I figured that was the only thing I could control ... writing a book I believed in. You can’t control how others feel about it, right? That’s why I have three (and a half) trunked novels, because I didn’t believe in them enough to expect others to. So for me it was never about getting my books out there so much as the writing of them.

That being said, because of my own self-doubt, I also figured if I couldn’t convince an agent to take me on, how would I know my work was really ready? Yeah, kind of a Catch-22. Sometimes I think authors who self-publish are just more confident in their work than I am. :)

Then, of course, there’s also the thrill of one day seeing my book in bookstores, and working with a team equally invested in my novel’s success, a team skilled in areas I’m not. (Like selling. And contracts. And foreign rights. Not my strong suits.)

As for the lure of the big book deal... Going the trade route changed my life, but that isn’t something I expected or could have foreseen, so that didn’t play into it.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I get the feeling this is a leading question—especially since the provided answers include things like validation and hope of fame and fortune—and by the end I'm supposed to realize that self-publishing is a better option.

I work in graphic design. It's easier to freelance and find new freelance clients than ever before. But I don't freelance any more because I don't like being in business by myself. I hate doing my own marketing, I hate the constant selling, I hate handling all details by myself, and the feeling that I'm in it all alone with zero backup or support. So I have a full-time job. I like working with other people, I like being part of a team, and I like the day-to-day security of a regular paycheck and benefits (that's the one part of this analogy that doesn't transfer over).

So I want to be trade published for mostly the same reasons.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Working toward both/either at the moment (querying but also looking into editors and cover artists and chatting about self-publication with friends that go this route) and we'll see which way it pans out.

The pro's of trade include that I wouldn't need to worry as much about the non-writing parts, and it sounds as though successful trade-published authors have a bit less pressure to produce on a rapid-fire schedule. For a new author, more sales might be expected with trade, too.

The pro's of self-publishing include the control over all aspects of the work. I do worry that I'd see a grand total of about twelve sales. I'm not in this for fame or anything, but the idea of teeny itty bitty sales numbers for such a large amount of effort strikes me as potentially demoralizing.

Cool pop--I 100% agree that we are so lucky to have options today. And FWIW you and other supportive SP writers here on AW are, you know, kinda inspirational to me.

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
multiple activism related reasons and financial reasons--Black writers have been historically shunned from mainstream publishing and thus the more writers in the traditional venue the more "worth" upcoming writers will be assumed to have. Also I am too poor to self publish to the level I would wish to market and publicize my books. In a perfect world, I would do both. I feel self-publishing has been much more welcoming to minority publishing--Black writers in particular can freely dominate their niche and trends. However, I'm not all that memorable a personality, I could never write more than two good books a year, and I am not dedicated to maintaining an "online presence"--all things that I would need to depend on much more if I self-published.

Thus, I've always assumed I would publish books through the same route the books of my childhood went. I found plenty of mainstream and indie books at my local library, so that route is good enough for me now.

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
I get the feeling this is a leading question—especially since the provided answers include things like validation and hope of fame and fortune—and by the end I'm supposed to realize that self-publishing is a better option.

I work in graphic design. It's easier to freelance and find new freelance clients than ever before. But I don't freelance any more because I don't like being in business by myself. I hate doing my own marketing, I hate the constant selling, I hate handling all details by myself, and the feeling that I'm in it all alone with zero backup or support. So I have a full-time job. I like working with other people, I like being part of a team, and I like the day-to-day security of a regular paycheck and benefits (that's the one part of this analogy that doesn't transfer over).

So I want to be trade published for mostly the same reasons.

Nope, not a leading question though I was afraid someone might think that. I honestly thought it was interesting because the discussion came up elsewhere. I'm not here to persuade anyone to do anything. You don't know me so let me explain the type of person I am. :) I am one of those who couldn't care less what decisions others make. I do not care what others do as long as it doesn't affect me. Whatever others do, that's them. I feel like everyone should do what's right for them, period. So no, not leading. Nowhere did I any method was best for any author. Authors have to figure that out for themselves. I named reasons such as validation, fame and fortune, etc, because even if some don't feel that way you'd be surprised how many believe that just landing a big publisher is the key to success forever. I believe we all think that when we first start because that's what we see on TV, etc. On TV for example, no one is just a writer. They're always a bestselling author who is famous and in Oprah's book club because of that, many inexperienced authors do believe that automatically being published will get them closer to this image of an author but that's not true at all

So, sorry you're wrong about why I asked. I don't "lead". I never lead. I always speak my mind and say what I mean straight out. As I said I don't care what others do, but was interesting in knowing what attracts people to trade publishing now that there are so many other options and not like when I started out. It's an intriguing question, I feel.

Last edited:

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, here I was trying to post an innocent question and already (it hasn't been 2019 a full week) and there is negativity. This is why I don't like starting discussions because there is always some misunderstanding or someone taking something the wrong way. The comment about me leading was uncalled for and accusatory and I don't want this to turn into self-publishing vs. trade but it's sad us writers can't discuss this stuff without negativity being accused or someone wanting to start something out of nothing.

I appreciate those who commented and who truly understood it was an innocent post. I agree with some points that were pointed out I was going to further participate but I'll bow out of my own thread. That last comment just left a bad taste in my mouth. I surely don't want folks thinking I am "leading" them into something or trying to discredit their decisions or anything like that.

It wasn't that serious but whatever. I wish everyone the best of luck in 2019! I'll still be around to comment and lend a hand but from no own will refrain from posting threads I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

awriter

Registered
Reaction score
I do worry that I'd see a grand total of about twelve sales. I'm not in this for fame or anything, but the idea of teeny itty bitty sales numbers for such a large amount of effort strikes me as potentially demoralizing.

I'm nowhere near being published, but this sums up why I'm more interested in trade publishing than self-publishing. I have no delusions of becoming famous, but if I ever get to the point where I have written a book that I consider good enough for publication, I would like more people than I can count with my fingers to read it. With trade publishing there is a 99.99...% chance that I would fail to reach that goal, but with self-publishing that would become a 100% chance because I simply don't have the necessary marketing skills.

For people who don't mind marketing and have the skills and/or resources to do it well, self-publishing is a great option, probably the superior one. But for an unknown writer with zero interest in marketing (a.k.a. me), self-publishing isn't really a viable option.

Last edited:

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
multiple activism related reasons and financial reasons--Black writers have been historically shunned from mainstream publishing and thus the more writers in the traditional venue the more "worth" upcoming writers will be assumed to have. Also I am too poor to self publish to the level I would wish to market and publicize my books. In a perfect world, I would do both. I feel self-publishing has been much more welcoming to minority publishing--Black writers in particular can freely dominate their niche and trends. However, I'm not all that memorable a personality, I could never write more than two good books a year, and I am not dedicated to maintaining an "online presence"--all things that I would need to depend on much more if I self-published.

Thus, I've always assumed I would publish books through the same route the books of my childhood went. I found plenty of mainstream and indie books at my local library, so that route is good enough for me now.

Thanks for chiming in! I don't think people realize how much harder it is trying to get POC work published when you are POC yourself. I'm black too and that's one of the many reasons I am appreciative of more options for us now. I definitely feel like if self-publishing wasn't around minority writers would not have the voice they have now. And that's not our fault it's the industry for pushing us away.

As I said, I think this is a great discussion at least I thought so.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would be hopelessly bad at being my own publisher, and I wouldn't enjoy that side of it at all. I only love the writing part.

This. I know the self-pub community is very supportive, or at least has very supportive members, but in the end it's all on me to do all the work. Just as I would hire somene to wire my house, I consider trade publishing similar to hiring someone to edit, do the layout, cover art and marketing of my book so I don't have to learn it all myself.

Last edited:

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
This is all interesting to me - hearing other people's journeys and reasoning always makes me re-examine my own thinking. For me, at the time I started seriously querying to find an agent, self-publishing wasn't what it is now. Kindles and e-books existed, but they hadn't gained the traction they did just a couple of years later (which I know all about, as my book was the recipient of one of Amazon's special promotions, and became an e-book bestseller). My understanding of self-publishing then was purely connected to hard copies, and something I never considered because I assumed it would be expensive.

So I got an agent, and got trade published, because "that was what you did". Looking back, I still think had self-publishing been a real option then I would still have pursued trade, certainly to see if I had what it takes to make it. I think I had quite a naive grasp of the industry then, and didn't really understand that making it or not making it isn't always down to the book itself, and is much more down to publishers and the market. If my book hadn't got a deal, what would I have done? Probably have continued trying to get trade published, because I always wanted to see a book of mine in the bookshop. Cheesy and cliche as it sounds, seeing a book of mine on the shelves of a book store was a dream of mine from childhood, and I wanted to make it happen.

I think were I starting out on this journey now, almost ten years later, knowing what I know now, and having worked within marketing, I would consider self-publishing because I think I could make a reasonable go at it. Me ten years ago wouldn't have been able to do it as well. Now, though, having had three books trade published, I want more books to be trade published, not because I had a fantastic experience (because I didn't) but because I don't want to accept that those three books were it. I'm stubborn! I want my stories out there with the power of publishers behind them. I don't think I made best use of my opportunity last time, and I'd like to rectify that if I get my second chance. However, ask me this in a year's time, and my drivers may well have changed.

Also, emotions aside, the genre I write doesn't tend to do so well purely on ebooks, so self-publishing wouldn't be the best natural fit. However, if I ever shift across to writing what would be my second preferred genre, things might be different, as that genre does very well on the self-pub scene.

Last edited:

Spicyqueso

Registered
Reaction score
Hey!

I honestly have always thought in order to sell books, you needed to be through a trade publisher. I have self-published one book and have found many obstacles such as trying to figure out how to advertise and make covers...etc. I like the idea of being able to write and someone else to do all the extra work.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I do think, for me anyway, validation was at the root of my desire to be traditionally published. It was like the "gold star" that proved I was good enough. I'm only just coming to terms with the idea that it may never happen. I've self-published a handful of books and had two put out by small publishers (that turned out to be author mills), and this year I've decided to give up querying and just continue to put out my own work. I don't love the marketing side--another reason big publishers are attractive--but I've managed so far and will suck it up and keep on with it.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me, I always wanted to see my name in print, in a book. Epublishing is nice, and if I applied myself I know I would make side income from it, but the cachet I want would just not be there. And actually epublishing would be extremely easy for me. I have the skills to format a book and make up a cover myself, and am a pretty good editor too. But I want my name in print.

The ironic thing is, my name is not even mine any more. One is a pseudonym, and the other, though it's very similar to the name I have now, is not really mine either because I wasn't born with it. So there goes all my fantasies of rubbing childhood bullies' noses in the dirt.

Nevertheless, I'd epublish my erotica because there's a lot of it and I'm sure it would sell, but I don't know how that would sit with my identity as a published writer under my two names. Plus I have enough projects as it is and packaging those stories, then putting them up on the platforms, would be time consuming for me when I'd rather write, submit, and revise work that has chances of being trade published.

And can I say I'd hope for big book deals or contract so I can generate income in my retirement years when they come?

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Anyway, here I was trying to post an innocent question and already (it hasn't been 2019 a full week) and there is negativity. This is why I don't like starting discussions because there is always some misunderstanding or someone taking something the wrong way. The comment about me leading was uncalled for and accusatory and I don't want this to turn into self-publishing vs. trade but it's sad us writers can't discuss this stuff without negativity being accused or someone wanting to start something out of nothing.

I appreciate those who commented and who truly understood it was an innocent post. I agree with some points that were pointed out I was going to further participate but I'll bow out of my own thread. That last comment just left a bad taste in my mouth. I surely don't want folks thinking I am "leading" them into something or trying to discredit their decisions or anything like that.

It wasn't that serious but whatever. I wish everyone the best of luck in 2019! I'll still be around to comment and lend a hand but from no own will refrain from posting threads I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, guess I really hit a nerve. I was responding to what I saw as a negative portrayal of reasons why people seek trade publishing. You even bolded them to emphasize it. I mean, you could have just asked the question and let people answer it without including implications about how we must crave validation and glory. And while I pointed that out, I did answer the question at face value, too.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
...Is it to fulfill a lifelong dream, validation, a fear of self-publishing, the hope of fame and fortune, does your genre do best in trade?...

None of the above. I like someone paying me an advance, and doing all the editing, and interior and exterior design, lining up the publicity events, and getting titles into shops. Also the externally imposed deadlines.

Happy New Year!:partyguy:

Happy New Year! :hooray:

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
I simply didn't want to be published based solely on my own opinion. I wanted a publisher prepared to invest money in my book and take care - at their expense - of all the things I am not interested in (and don't have time for); professional editing and proofreading, cover and layout design, marketing, distribution etc.

I have no urge to see my work in print other than via this method, as the pleasure of writing is my driving force. From what I know about self-publishing, if you want to produce a professional standard book the costs and non-writing time you need to invest looks prohibitive.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I write in a category that does much better in trade (YA), and I’ve always written standalones, when series seem virtually necessary for self-pub. Validation was also a motive; I did want to hear that gatekeepers and critics liked my writing. Having professionally designed covers was one of the big thrills of my life; sure, I could pay a designer, but the designer at my publisher is just amazing. Finally, money—I know it’s possible to make a lot more money with self-pub than I did with trade, but I couldn’t have done it with the stuff I wanted to write. It’s just a different business model.

Over the past few years, I’ve been thinking a lot about whether I’d rather have a few gatekeepers praising me or be able to interact with a lot of readers. Ultimately I’d choose readers, and it’s possible I’d have a better chance of finding them in self-pub. The thing is, I’d need to change what I write, as well as learning the skills to promote it. I get sent self-published books for review, so I see a ton of these books that sink and are never seen again. That makes me cautious.

It’s something I’ve considered, for sure—maybe going hybrid and just trying it. For now, I’m still focused on the kind of writing that wouldn’t do so well in self-pub. But I really appreciate all the great info about self-pub I’ve found here—particularly your posts, cool pop. Thank you!

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer to pursue trade publishing because a) I don't write what sells in self pub, b) I don't write quickly, c) I don't have any of the skills needed to self publish well, and d) don't have the $ to pay others for what I can't do myself.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This. I know the self-pub community is very supportive, or at least has very supportive members, but in the end it's all on me to do all the work. Just as I would hire somene to wire my house, I consider trade publishing similar to hiring someone to edit, do the layout, cover art and marketing of my book so I don't have to learn it all myself.

Same here. It's happened to me before so I know it can happen again; I just need to get off my ass and do something about it. If it comes down self-pub is my only option, however, I'm hanging up my jockstrap and calling it quits. I've gone down that road before and it was one of the most horrifyingly demoralizing experiences ever in my entire life.