Best way to contact?

mrsfauthor

Registered
Reaction score
There is a prominent agent who is an alumna of my college. I would like to connect with her for advice. My book is 3/4 done and she doesn't have the genre on her list so it is not a request to rep me, it's more of a request to advise me, if she is willing. Ultimately, I suppose I am seeking a connection to introduce me to an agent who does rep historical fiction. Any suggestions on the best way to reach out and things I should avoid when contacting her?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
My alma mater has an office that hooks up students/recent grads with other graduates. The advantage is it's opt-in: anyone listed has agreed to advise or mentor other grads. You might see if your school has something like that.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I agree with lizmonster--best to go through your college's alumnae channels and see if she might be willing to talk via mentoring program they have in place...but right here on AW is also a good place to ask for advice on the querying process, if she's not available.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There is a prominent agent who is an alumna of my college. I would like to connect with her for advice. My book is 3/4 done and she doesn't have the genre on her list so it is not a request to rep me, it's more of a request to advise me, if she is willing. Ultimately, I suppose I am seeking a connection to introduce me to an agent who does rep historical fiction. Any suggestions on the best way to reach out and things I should avoid when contacting her?

Unless, as the other posters mention, she's said she's willing to be in some sort of mentoring role for students or graduates of your school, I'd say do NOT do this. Your book isn't done, it's not her genre, and, most importantly, she doesn't know you from Adam. 'Hi, extremely busy and powerful agent, could you help me write and introduce me to an agent who'd want this? We've never met but went to the same college!' <--- will get you talked about in circles you do not want to get a reputation for being a nutter in.

Finish your book, edit it, edit it more, get some beta readers, edit it some more, then work up a list of agents to query and proceed.

If she is on a list that indicates she'll talk to students or grads, I'd still say finish and polish first.

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I would do this.

mrsfauthor

Registered
Reaction score
I think there is an office somewhere but I will definitely pursue this further. Thank you!

mrsfauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, thank you. I've read quite a bit here but thought that a personal recommendation might go far in connecting me with a higher profile agency. I have a few industry contacts in place as well.

mrsfauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Unless, as the other posters mention, she's said she's willing to be in some sort of mentoring role for students or graduates of your school, I'd say do NOT do this. Your book isn't done, it's not her genre, and, most importantly, she doesn't know you from Adam. 'Hi, extremely busy and powerful agent, could you help me write and introduce me to an agent who'd want this? We've never met but went to the same college!' <--- will get you talked about in circles you do not want to get a reputation for being a nutter in.

Finish your book, edit it, edit it more, get some beta readers, edit it some more, then work up a list of agents to query and proceed.

If she is on a list that indicates she'll talk to students or grads, I'd still say finish and polish first.

I see your point but I am not asking her to read or help me write. But I'll think about your perspective, obviously don't want to hurt my reputation. Thank you!

mrsfauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Could you say more? It sounds like some think I should/could if she is willing to mentor and others do not.

Marissa D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
In this industry, a personal connection only gets you so far--if an agent doesn't love your work and think he or she can sell it to a publisher, no amount of connection matters. And asking a busy, successful agent who doesn't work in your particular genre to mentor you, even if she's a fellow alum (and I get the whole alum thing--I went to a women's college that has a very close, vibrant alumnae community), is a tad much.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, thank you. I've read quite a bit here but thought that a personal recommendation might go far in connecting me with a higher profile agency. I have a few industry contacts in place as well.

A personal recommendation will generally get you ahead of the query queue, and maybe, maybe a courtesy read, but you don't get a personal recommendation from someone you don't know. You don't know this person.

I see your point but I am not asking her to read or help me write. But I'll think about your perspective, obviously don't want to hurt my reputation. Thank you!

You said you wanted her to advise you on a book that's not even finished. I don't know what that'd entail besides help writing or her reading it. I'd wager she wouldn't know either. If she is not listed in your alum office or whatever specifically saying she's open to being contacted by prospective authors, do NOT do this.

Could you say more? It sounds like some think I should/could if she is willing to mentor and others do not.

If she's willing to talk to/mentor people she's never met through this kind of contact, then sure, take people up on what they offer. If she's not clearly made herself open to this... see above.

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
I really doubt this will yield positive results. And I think it has the danger of backfiring and getting your name passed around, which is the last thing you want.

Personally, I would finish, edit, go through the query revision process, and query on the manuscript's own merits. Agents are ALWAYS looking for great books.

Last edited:

mrsfauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all the answers. There is apparently a department on campus that has willing members of my alumnae community that have volunteered to give advice, mentor, etc. and I will check there and proceed if she is listed. I truly appreciate you all taking the time to answer and give thoughtful opinions.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
An agent's not gonna give you advice if you're not a client. Agents are extremely busy and they barely have enough time for the submissions they get. They sure don't have the time and (I doubt) patience to give advice to random people. She doesn't know you from the man down the street. Why would she take time out of her insane schedule to help you? Not trying to come down on you but just putting it in a way where you can how this looks to this woman who does not know you from the man on the moon so why would she do you a favor? What's in it for her? She won't care diddly that you guys went to the same college. I bet she's gotten HUNDREDS of mailings from people who went to her school and thought that would make it easier to get close to her and it didn't. Also doing something like this is unprofessional and won't play well with your rep as someone mentioned above. Reputation is important in this business.

Forget the personal contact stuff and focus on having your work the best it can be so you have a good shot at landing an agent when you submit. As others say, personal contacts only go so far. You gotta have a book they love and believe in and if you don't have that, the rest is mute. If you need feedback from professionals you can get it right here on AW and you don't have to hunt any of us down. Just maybe buy us dinner and take us dancing once in a while. Other than that...;)

Last edited:

mrsfauthor

Registered
Reaction score
An agent's not gonna give you advice if you're not a client. Agents are extremely busy and they barely have enough time for the submissions they get. They sure don't have the time and (I doubt) patience to give advice to random people. She doesn't know you from the man down the street. Why would she take time out of her insane schedule to help you? Not trying to come down on you but just putting it in a way where you can how this looks to this woman who does not know you from the man on the moon so why would she do you a favor? What's in it for her? She won't care diddly that you guys went to the same college. I bet she's gotten HUNDREDS of mailings from people who went to her school and thought that would make it easier to get close to her and it didn't. Also doing something like this is unprofessional and won't play well with your rep as someone mentioned above. Reputation is important in this business.

Forget the personal contact stuff and focus on having your work the best it can be so you have a good shot at landing an agent when you submit. As others say, personal contacts only go so far. You gotta have a book they love and believe in and if you don't have that, the rest is mute. If you need feedback from professionals you can get it right here on AW and you don't have to hunt any of us down. Just maybe buy us dinner and take us dancing once in a while. Other than that...;)

Whoa. I'm so very sorry to have asked.

Marissa D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
You shouldn't be--it was a perfectly reasonable question for someone not completely familiar with the industry. But cool pop is right--a high-profile, successful is a very busy person, and not likely to want to take on a mentoring role for someone who isn't a client. I don't know everyone who has responded in this thread, but I do know that they include authors who are currently or have been agented, and who have published multiple books with major trade publishers--we are speaking from places of experience.

Now go finish that book. ;)

mrsfauthor

Registered
Reaction score
You shouldn't be--it was a perfectly reasonable question for someone not completely familiar with the industry. But cool pop is right--a high-profile, successful is a very busy person, and not likely to want to take on a mentoring role for someone who isn't a client. I don't know everyone who has responded in this thread, but I do know that they include authors who are currently or have been agented, and who have published multiple books with major trade publishers--we are speaking from places of experience.

Now go finish that book. ;)

Thank you Marissa. I've published several things in magazines and anthologies and have dealt with acting agencies and talent managers with two of my kids but this is my first novel and my first literary agency question. The landscape feels quite different. I appreciate your response very much.

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
...I've published several things in magazines and anthologies and have dealt with acting agencies and talent managers with two of my kids but this is my first novel and my first literary agency question. The landscape feels quite different...

:) Yes; the literary industry is definitely a different landscape, compared to other industries, such as acting agencies. I've also had a few things published in literary magazines, without knowing any of the editors, readers, etc. (and they also had rejected some of my other, submitted work). So, it's possible to have work accepted, without knowing anyone; likewise, just because one piece of your work is accepted, doesn't automatically mean the editor/readers will accept and publish all of your other work.

Last edited:

mrsfauthor

Registered
Reaction score
:) Yes; the literary industry is definitely a different landscape, compared to other industries, such as acting agencies. I've also had a few things published in literary magazines, without knowing any of the editors, readers, etc. (and they also had rejected some of my other, submitted work). So, it's possible to have work accepted, without knowing anyone; likewise, just because one piece of your work is accepted, doesn't automatically mean the editor/readers will accept and publish all of your other work.

yes, totally agree! I've had one thing rejected and the same thing published by a competing magazine. Who knows!