It's Finally Here. Heartless is Self-Published.

KittenEV

Registered
Reaction score
Website
eventsias.wixsite.com
After writing it for a year, trying to publish it for another, getting discouraged and shelving it for a few years and then spending the last year whipping it into shape, I have finally finally finally self-published my book.

Heartless by Elizabeth Ventsias is available on Amazon as a Kindle and will be available as a paperback in a few short days after the review process.

I've done it, and I'm so happy.

Now the really hard part starts, getting people to notice my book and buy it. Wish me luck guys! I undoubtedly couldn't have done it without you all here.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Congratulations! The cover in your avatar image catches attention and is nicely suggestive.

Are you comfortable sharing your buy link?

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Love the cover and congrats! Just wondering, did you check the prices of other indie authors in your genre? Always check to see an average price so you know you are not pricing too high compared to others. The truth is, indie prices tend to run lower than trade prices. It's HARD to sell an ebook for higher than 4.99 and in certain genres it's harder to sell higher than 2.99 for indies. Even the best selling ones don't price over maybe 5.99 and that's high for ebooks. It's also hard to sell a book that's under 300 pages for a high price. That's just the way it is especially now with Kindle Unlimited where readers can get so many books for free.

You may be going by TRADE books because they price extremely high for ebooks but they count on print sales mainly. If the majority of your sales or all your sales will be from ebooks then pricing too high can be a disadvantage.

I WISH we were back when we could price as high as we want but the truth is, many readers won't pay over a certain amount for an ebook especially if the author is new. I don't want you to be bypassed just because of your price. I wanted to mention it in case you wanted to do more research because pricing too high can hinder sales. Some might wanna think it doesn't but it can and so that's why I say price in a range close to other books in your genre and you will get an idea of what prices those readers expect to pay.

Feel free to ignore me of course but I wanted to chime in on this because it is an important point. Your book looks very interesting and intriguing and I want you to break out with the best chance so when I saw the price, I wanted to say that. Whatever an author might feel about value vs. price, that doesn't matter. What matters is what readers will pay for our work. If readers don't plunk down the money, nothing else matters. Many won't pay 7.99 for an ebook especially from a new author with no back list or established brand. Usually those selling at those prices are big time authors like Nora Roberts. Even new and midlist trade published authors have a hard time selling books at those prices. I see trade published authors complaining all the time about their ebooks not moving because the pub priced them out the market. It can and does hurt sales. There might be outliers but for the average author pricing according to the average price readers of their genre expect is best.

Self-publishing is a business so you always gotta think about the market as well. ;)

Good luck!

Last edited:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations. Here's to many sales!:hooray:

KittenEV

Registered
Reaction score
Website
eventsias.wixsite.com
Hi, thank you for your advice. I'm really struggling with the price and trying to market it. I priced it based on other ebooks similar to mine, but those were from known authors. My concern comes in that if I price it low, I may not get enough sales anyway to justify the lower royalty. My print book is coming out soon and that same problem is cropping up where I have to price it higher to make literally any money off of it.

So I'm not really sure what to do. :Shrug:

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
As an example, here are some recent releases by established PNR/fantasy romance authors from indies/authors with smaller publishers:

"Pestilence" by Laura Thalassa. $2.99.
"Sin and Chocolate" by KF Breene. $4.99.
Penny Reid writes contemporary romance. She's a NYT bestseller with a long backlist. Her e-books are $5.99.
LJ Shen is another popular indie contemp romance writer. "Midnight Blue" is priced at $3.99.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
You might also compare not only to books from major trade publishers, but also to indies and books from smaller houses.

As an example, here are some recent releases by established PNR/fantasy romance authors from indies/authors with smaller publishers:

"Pestilence" by Laura Thalassa. $2.99.
"Sin and Chocolate" by KF Breene. $4.99.
Penny Reid writes contemporary romance. She's a NYT bestseller with a long backlist. Her e-books are $5.99.

Hope that helps!

Exactly KBooks. Comparing books to other indies is best because the market is different. It's not even just indie it's mainly just ebooks. Many readers don't wanna pay tons of money for a trade-published ebook either unless the author is well known. It's much cheaper to buy print than ebook from publishers and they count on that because they are more concerned with the print sales.

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, thank you for your advice. I'm really struggling with the price and trying to market it. I priced it based on other ebooks similar to mine, but those were from known authors. My concern comes in that if I price it low, I may not get enough sales anyway to justify the lower royalty. My print book is coming out soon and that same problem is cropping up where I have to price it higher to make literally any money off of it.

So I'm not really sure what to do. :Shrug:

About the pricing, I see where you are coming from but think of it like this, if you priced 7.99 most likely you won't be making anything. It will be extremely difficult for you to sell any books at that price so you wouldn't be making a royalty anyway. Trust me, you'll sell way more books at say 4.99 or lower than you would at 7.99.

Also, remember one of the best things about being indie is YOU are in charge so you are free to change prices and test things out. I see you changed it to 4.99. Try it at that price for a while and do some promotion. Unfortunately many promo options like Bookbub, etc. favor lower-priced books and discounts so you can try things like an Amazon ad or Facebook ads if you feel like taking the time to learn. Also, start a mailing list ASAP. Open an account with Mailchimp if you haven't and put the link to the list in the back of your books and get sign ups. A mailing list is where you will find your most devoted fans so you can just mail a release whenever you have one.

If you want free promotional ideas you can start with these:

Mailing list (Free)
Promote in Facebook groups (don't spam). Only promote in groups that allow promotion and try to stick with groups that fit your genre.
Cross promotion with other authors in your genre. Try finding them here on AW or on Facebook.
Also, join as many self-publishing forums and groups as you can to learn as much as you can and get all the support you need.
You can also share samples of your work and give out copies for reviews, etc.

When you're new, it's more important to get out there and just let folks know who you are. Don't focus so much on sales at this point. You need to focus on building your brand and making yourself familiar to readers AND authors in your genre because that's how you get so many promotional opportunities, working with other authors. Don't underestimate cross promotion. I feel it's the best promotion out there.

So don't get down on sales and don't check your reports and ranking everyday. LOL! I know it's hard not to but that's counterproductive. You can try promoting a while and then check to see how the efforts or going so you can see what works and what doesn't promotion wise.

Also, I'd say give it a few months to see if you're selling anything and if you haven't, I'd suggest try putting the book in KU. Now I don't care for KU personally and I am not in it but for a new author, it can help get eyes on your work. In KU readers can download the book for free and you'd get page reads but the value in that for a new author is it allows you to test the water. So if you don't see sales coming in a few months after you've promoted and lowered the price, KU might be something you want to try and you will at least get some readers and some reviews. You'll also make a little money too.

Normally I'd tell people to stay away from KU but it can be good for certain authors and books. I hear it's still good for newbies to gain readers. Readers are more hesitant with new writers so KU helps break that barrier and if they like your work they'll stay with you.

Once again, good luck! And don't be overwhelmed or anything. There are people to help you. :)

Last edited:

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Also, if you haven't already, get started on that next book! You wanna build up a back list because that helps get you sales more than anything.

KittenEV

Registered
Reaction score
Website
eventsias.wixsite.com
Thank you for all your advice so far! I am confused about one thing. The mailing list. I don't really understand how I'm supposed to make one. Like how do I get people for this mailing list and what am I supposed to do with it?

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all your advice so far! I am confused about one thing. The mailing list. I don't really understand how I'm supposed to make one. Like how do I get people for this mailing list and what am I supposed to do with it?
You get an account with a service like MailChimp, then put your sign-up link for the mailing list at the back of your book and on your website. People who like what you do will sign up. You can then send out an announcement to your mailing list when you have a new book available.

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score

A mailing list is your way to store your biggest fans, meaning people who enjoyed your work so much they signed up to your list to hear whenever you have a release.

You open a free account at Mailchimp (the leading mailing list company) and the site walks you through how to set up a mailing list: https://mailchimp.com/

It's free unless you have tons of subscribers but many authors never have to pay. Once you open an account they have tools that help you set up a sign up form and draft an email to send to subscribers using templates. The sign up form is how people will sign up to your list. You will get a link to the form and you can promote it anywhere you want. You should put it in your books, front and back with a line telling people to sign up to your list. Put it on your sites, social media, pages, etc.

People simply sign up on their own or some authors do mailing list swaps to get sign ups but I don't do all that. I just have my link in my books and people will sign up if they wanna keep up with you.

It's up to you what kind of mailing list you want. Some authors do newsletters where they actually write about stuff in length and send it like every month. Many authors just do a new release alert or book announcements where they just send out a quick note to their subscribers letting them know they have a new release. This is what I do, I just shoot my list an email whenever I have a new book out and that's that. If I am running a sale I will alert them of that too.

The more books you have, the more readers you'll build and you'll get more and more on your list gradually. Starting out it might take a while to get subscribers but just keep writing and they'll come.

Last edited:

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. You will need an address to use publicly. Whenever you send a mailing Mailchimp has to provide a snail mail address. This is the law. So you can either get a P.O. Box to use the address, use a virtual mailing address you get online or use any other physical address you have permission to use. Some authors use their work addresses, etc. I WOULD NOT advise using your home address unless you want everyone on your list knowing where you live.