Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Interesting.

Linda, aren't you collaborating on a thriller?

How has the process been for you?

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Yes, I am. The one thing we've found is that we co-write differently than everyone else. From what I've seen, everyone does some variation of what Preston/Child are doing.

Co-writer and I write together, then swap the chapters back and forth.

Good Word

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
You mean you actually sit down together and write at the computer together.

And you still get along?

lol

I am totally impressed.

How long has this been going on?

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Linda Adams said:
...The Joys of Fictional Collaboration
Fictional Collaboration: where two people pretend to collaborate (while they each try write their own book).:tongue

But seriously...

I've never tried collaborating. I've edited plenty and tossed around a collaboration with a friend of mine but somehow it just never bloomed.

Writers.

Like herding cats but without the allergies.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
What they said is pretty much how Cie and I write our books (well, except for the "detailed outline." I tend to keep that in my head.) We've been at it for six years now, and it's still working fine. :)

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I collaborated on a romance & 2 adventure books with a wonderful writer and enjoyed every minute of it - if Candy Gilbert still lived in my area I have no doubt we'd still write together on some projects!

When it works, it works!

writeperch

just write
Registered
Reaction score
From Agatha Christie: I've always believed in writing without a collaborator, because where two people are writing the same book, each believes he gets all the worry and only half the royalties.

I've collaborated on a couple of short stories with a friend and the entire process was pleasant. It's great to have someone to bounce ideas off who has a vested interest in the outcome. We doubt we could stand each other for an entire novel, but for short stories it's great fun.

Good Word

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Actually, I think it would be terrific to find someone to write fiction with like that. For some folks that I know who have tried it, it's a hard thing to pull off. Most drop it. But then there are the awesome ones, like the ones posting here. :)

I've done it for technical stuff, but it was mostly like divvying up sections rather than a true collaboration.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I love collaborating, providing the other party is a total pro--and I've been lucky there.

First, we "story-storm," and it's GREAT to throw out ideas in a room where the word "no" is not allowed.

Second, we put the action on index cards and figure out the order, then I'll type out the outline.

We divide it up according to what scenes/chapters we'd like to write.

In one case he couldn't bring himself to write a nasty murder scene, and I was not in the mood to do a love scene. We traded. I'm now able to write bloody slaughter with the best of 'em, and he's discovered a talent for writing dang good nookie.

Third, I only have to write half a book.

Fourth, if a reader doesn't like anything in the finished product we each blame the other for putting in that bit. :D

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
Collaboration works well for me. I have a tendency towards procrastination in the extreme, as well as silly/embarrassing typos. My co-writer keeps me very honest and on track. Not to mention that while I believe myself to be a good writer, she is a great writer. Biased? Yes, I am. But that doesn't alter the truth as far as I'm concerned.

I've found co-writing to be much easier than writing on my own. Something may seem wonderful in my head and I think I have it down to a science and she'll come along and go 'what if...?' and it will be even better. Plus there are some things that I know and some that she knows. We each have our strengths and that filters its way into the story and it simply clicks.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't done a collaboration yet. I'd like to. So far I have written non-fiction but I think a partner would be great to get realistic dialogue and also some stimulating chats.

PJ Tracy is a writing collaboration. I read about the somewhere. Mother and daughter living in different towns. I can't remember how they do it though but I love their books