PDA

View Full Version : December Challenge - Write Every Day!

Pages : [1] 2

Magnus
11-30-2018, 05:10 PM
This is a thread open to anyone who wants to start, maintain, or reinforce a writing habit. (It can also be about revision, editing, research -- all writing habits welcome!)

The basic idea is that repeating something daily, even if only for a short time, will build a habit that becomes stronger over time.

It's entirely up to you how much and in what way you participate. Post your goals, if you like, or just check in when you can!

Here are some tips:

Set achievable goals – I can't stress enough how important this is. To build a habit, doing something is more important than quantity or quality.
Keep up the habit as many days in the week as possible – even if it's just a few sentences or a bit of editing. It reinforces the habit and makes it easier to get started.
Mix it up – Try different types of goals, different times of the day, different tricks to reward or motivate yourself. A good habit is what works for you, not someone else.
Be patient – It takes a long time to build a strong habit and you'll always be facing new challenges. Get used to constantly adapting and you'll be better prepared for whatever problem comes up next.
Don't give up because you didn't hit your goal – When you fail to hit your target, your job is figuring out why it happened. That way, you can find ways to get around your roadblocks (and don't be scared of lowering the bar - doing something is better than doing nothing). If you share your stumbles in the thread, others might be able to help out with tips, tricks, and support! And sometimes, it's okay to just take a break for a day or two, or have scheduled days "off". Whatever works for you!

Good luck, and see you on December 1st!

Pterofan
11-30-2018, 09:26 PM
I'm going to take one more shot at this. I've got the "write every day" part down. Now I want to increase my output. Last month I established my average word count per day falls between 200-500. Let's see if I can increase that.

I'm also going to keep track of how many times I just "write something" and how often I work on a designated project. In short, how badly am I goofing off. The goal is to increase my daily word count on things I could conceivably sub somewhere. That's what I need to knuckle down on.

Magnus
11-30-2018, 10:24 PM
I will try to keep a more detailed journal of writing tasks performed this month to see what I can improve and what works, etc. So I'll note time spent, words written, and so on.

This could get painful.

Pterofan
11-30-2018, 10:32 PM
Tell me about it. :tongue

Layla Nahar
12-01-2018, 02:16 AM
Woo!

I'll be doing my 3/3:
1 - add words to my WIP
2 - one action of self-care or responsibility
3 - one action to increase my income/earning power

I let myself take one skip day a week in each category if I want to.

For newbs to this thread, when I returned to writing after 14 months of being unable to write* I decided that I would write every day - in the face of whatever life threw at me to deal with. At first it was just, as the thread says, write something every day - not to judge what I had written, or how much or anything but just to be grateful I had written at all. (Even before my 14 month break the previous 10 years of my writing habit had patches of months and weeks here and there when, if Life got overwhelming, writing went out the window. Eventually I came up with a little checklist of 3 (the magic #) So that's the story of my 3/3)

*the very thought of writing filled me with dread.

WGough
12-01-2018, 04:21 AM
Thanks for starting the thread, Magnus.

Layla: Same. I took 27 dread-filled months off.

As with November, gotta get this revising thing sorted.

Well, my goal for October and November was to revise Book I. In November, I revised to the tune of 70,416 words, leaving about 40K to go. Or, 27 chapters down, 19 to go. I'm looking at a one month to draft, three months to revise pattern that I have got to improve on.

December Goals

1) Finish revising Book I
2) Run revisions through an editing (proofreading) app
3) Check in on this thread every day

Good luck, folks. Happy December!

mwatchornbooks
12-01-2018, 07:03 AM
Relieved to see others giving themselves time to step away. That was so hard for me to accept. There's so much pressure to write every single day. Breathers are important for gaining perspective on any WIP.

December goals:
1) Finish MS 1 line edits, proofread, & finalize query package for January
2) Edit and revise MS 2 twice & send to CPs
3) Outline & start drafting new WIP

Probably won't get to do much of #3, but I like to set big goals. It tricks me into thinking I'm procrastinating. :tongue

Yasia
12-01-2018, 02:12 PM
Sooo, I'll put out there the goal that I'm already working on (it's a 100 days goal): writing the first book of a series, just the first draft.

Goals:

1. Writing 1000 words a day of the actual book
2. Still writing my daily 350 words of my wattpad project
3. Ending up with 32000 words at the end of the month

So, my main struggle will totally be the fact that either I write (and do more than a 1000 words usually) or I don't write at all, or just one sentence. Basically I’ll have to daily push through the first paragraph and everything will go as planned. Hopefully.

Taylor Harbin
12-01-2018, 06:18 PM
My December goals:
1. Polish Short #1 and get it ready for submission.
2. Read book for research on Short #2. Begin editing if practicals.
3. Formulate editing plan for novel.

And, as always, this is not excluding any new stories that might jump out, grab me by the throat, and demand to be written.

Good luck, everyone!

Pterofan
12-01-2018, 08:38 PM
Day 1 - 237 words. Could be more later.

And we're off! Those words went toward the book I'm working on, so I hit two goals already today. Auspicious start!

My FMC is turning out to be a bit of a bad girl. I suppose that's to be expected from a woman who can shapechange into a rattlesnake. I'm not sure how appropriate that may be for a romance heroine, though. Guess I'll find out. I'm using Batman and Catwoman as my role models, so it might work.

Magnus
12-02-2018, 02:32 AM
Day 1
I spent about 30 minutes writing and revising. Not enough, not even close, especially for a Saturday. From tomorrow I'll start timing myself more precisely. It is, however, Sunday, which is the day I always cut myself some slack, no matter what. But the goal is still to get writing done and not slack off completely!

Let's make this last month of the year count! :)

WGough
12-02-2018, 02:39 AM
Day 1
Finished drafting the other POV scene. Revised a scene and a half before some sort of outdoor festival started a few streets over. Many things, I can work through. A Lynyrd Skynyrd cover band shaking my floors is not one of them. Done for the day.

Pterofan: Nice start. Congrats.

Magnus: Work got done.

April Swanson
12-02-2018, 03:02 AM
Honk honk, here we go again ...

Pterofan: Good start! Yeah, I'm all for more bad girls. Female characters rarely get the same leeway as their male counterparts

Magnus: 30 mins is still a good chunk of time though!

WGough: Urgh, festivals ... people having fun en masse. Hope you manage to block some of it out.

I managed another cheeky 1k today. Took me a long time, but I got there in the end. I'm on a bit of a mini roll just now ... the 1k thing seems to work for me for short periods of time. I'm gonna try and keep this run going for as long as possible.

Day 1: Decent bit; 5 miles; rain, rain GO AWAY. Srsly.

The Second Moon
12-02-2018, 04:03 AM
My goal for Dec. is to beat last month's total of 14,000 words or maybe write everyday. It would be super awesome if I did both.

Day 1: 619 words. I was 100% sure I wouldn't write anything today, but I sat down and did it!

starrystorm
12-02-2018, 05:34 AM
Goals: Edit more than last month. 5 pages edited a day would be great but with finals and the holidays soon, I'll have to just try my best.

Dec 1

Edited 5 pages.

Pterofan: I think those kinds of characters are way more fun. So enjoy it.

Magnus: 30 minutes is great. I can't go ten without being distracted.

WGough: Yikes that must have been one loud band.

April: Any stretch of words is great. Especially when their 1K

Moon: 14k is awesome!

Layla Nahar
12-02-2018, 05:49 AM
Ptero - congrats on the auspicious start!

Congrats on that 30 minutes of writing, Magnus

Ogod - I feel your pain Gough. & congrats on that scene

WTG for sure on the 1k April!

Nice work, Moon

WTG on the 5 pages, starry

Day 1

I took a skip day! :D

Cindyt
12-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Day 1

Draft - 177

Polished - bits and pieces across the board

Edited - deleted all my part pages except the prologue. I didn’t feel a 20+- chapter book justified parts.

Research - Major drug cartels in 1985 (this is a redo). What a DEA uniform worn on a raid.

WGough - I’ve been mostly doing the same. I’m ¾ way into a chapter that I can’t get into to.

Moon - WTG on the 619 word count!

Starry - WTG on doing something.

Ptero - Congrats on the word count and sailing into a new book.

Pterofan
12-02-2018, 11:36 PM
Nothing so far. Must be Sunday. But the laundry's done.

What I have planned for dinner will take 20 minutes to cook. I'm going to use that as my timer and write then.

Magnus
12-03-2018, 12:53 AM
Day 2
Slack-off day is slacking off. No further comments.

WGough
12-03-2018, 01:27 AM
Day 2
Revised one scene, 2004 words. Drafted 861 words of a new scene.

April: 1K is awesome.

The Second Moon: Nice work.

starrystorm: Way to meet your goal!

Layla: Yay for skip days!

Cindyt: December is off to a meh start. Looks like you're getting a ton done!

Pterofan: Go writing sprints!

Magnus: Way to slack!

Have a great week everybody!

Keithy
12-03-2018, 03:45 AM
OK I'm back... in some shape or form. I've spent some days in doubt about what to write and whether I can. Yesterday I decided that I had two versions of the story, depending on who the secondary characters are, then realized there was not much difference between the two, so I will write one version and fiddle with it later. Today I told myself that if I wanted to call myself a writer, I would have to write something. So I will write something.

But Christmas is here, so I have to put some decorations up.

The Second Moon
12-03-2018, 03:46 AM
Day 2: 230 words. :e2shrug: Not good, but I did something at least.

Layla Nahar
12-03-2018, 05:55 AM
Way to keep at it Cindy (polishing is hard)

Hey Ptero, how that dinner was productive ;)

hey Magnus - hope that was some good slack

Nice work Gough

Nothing like writing if you want to write Keithy :D

Nice, Moon

Day 2

WIP 1 page

R/SC - earning service, crafting, tidying

$$ - got the cable I was waiting for & tested my gear for one of my projects. I couldn't get it to work. (the mic & the cable are good. Back to the drawing board for a bit)

xenylic
12-03-2018, 07:54 AM
Down, but not out! Last week was a total dud to end it all, but school's presence is ever so slowly fading out of my schedule, and now I've got a serious word deficit to make up by December 31st to reach 140k.

This month is pretty straight forward, I want to write a total of 15,353 words at a minimum.

Annndd nothing else. No blog, no queries, a bit of schoolwork when I need to, but I'm trying to put all my eggs in the writing basket this month.

If not for the holidays (and my semester lasting through the 19th), this would be an easy goal. Now, I'm planning for the worst, assuming that Christmas Eve and beyond I'll have no time to write a single word. That might not be true, but 'might' isn't enough to plan for.

So this weekend I got all my schoolwork out of the way, and tomorrow I'm gonna start. 5 day writing weeks are back for me! And hopefully, I can push through the wall I've hit smacked against last week.

Good luck everyone! Let's kill it this month!

Cindyt
12-03-2018, 08:24 AM
Day 2

Draft - 318

Polished - Bits and pieces

Edited - The outcome of the first drug raid.

Research - Watched Season 1, Epi 1 of Miami Vice to soak up some more Miami feeling, and plan to base like a loose tooth a drug raid on the one show where Crockett’s partner, Eddie, is blown up in a car bomb.

WGough - I am getting a ton done, just a meh word count. My number rose slightly today.

Layla - WTG on the whole page!

Createspace is merging with Kindle Publishing. I like the new options.

April Swanson
12-03-2018, 12:46 PM
WGough: Nice way to keep hacking at the revisions.

Keithy: May you write beneath the dazzling splendour of your Christmas tree.

SecondMoon: It is good! You beat the blank page :)

Layla: Your projects intrigue me! Woo for one page!

xenylic: Glad your schedule is easing up. It’s very sensible to plan for Christmas. I always block at least Christmas Eve - Boxing Day, plus Hogmanay and New Year’s Day. Gotta have time to get into the festive spirit (i.e. drink) :)

Cindyt: I shifted my stuff over to Kindle a few months ago and it was pretty painless. Tbh, I like it – one less account to log into. Oh, and now I’m singing ‘Miami’ by Will Smith :)

My 1k streak continues! Good grief, it literally took me all day yesterday, but I got there. To be fair, if I’d focused I could have done it a lot quicker, but I wrote on the sofa while my husband played Red Dead Redemption, so my focus was … not exactly sharp. Still, those words are down. Hmm … I wonder if I can streak all the way to Christmas Eve …

Day 2: Decent bit; 7.5 miles; oh-so-many Oreos

Taylor Harbin
12-03-2018, 03:12 PM
I think I’ve done as much work as I can for Short #1. Time to get outside eyes on it. Cut the draft from 7500 to 6500 words, so that’s a start.

Pterofan
12-03-2018, 08:35 PM
Day 2 - 95 words. The bad habits persist.

What can I say? It was Sunday. Cable TV ran a Marvel trifecta: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America: Civil War and Deadpool. I spent the evening flipping between channels trying to catch my favorite scenes. If I was serious about writing I'd drop cable entirely, but I saw on the commercials Dr. Strange is going to be on next Saturday ...

On the other hand, there's nothing on during the week except college football and Christmas specials. Maybe I'll focus on improving my habits for Monday-Friday and write weekends off as a loss.

xenylic
12-03-2018, 10:29 PM
Good start to the month! 1.5k words down and finally getting back to more authentic content.

I've got some more fuel in the tank, as well as time, but I figure I should save it. Even though the rest of the week will have more classes to work around than today, if I keep my concentration up, I should be able to hit my daily goal.

Also, for this special end of the year goal, I'm gonna start keeping track of the countdown to my mega goal. Hopefully it'll keep me motivated over the next three weeks.

Minus 13,852 words and counting!

starrystorm
12-04-2018, 02:04 AM
DAY 2: I didn't edit. I was so frustrated with this certain chapter and my second POV character. Something about him in this chapter irked me. Then it hit me. He's passive. Everything he does is because he's either told or forced to do it. From going to the party because his girlfriend wants him to, to being kidnapped by a secondary character. Tomorrow, I'm going to tackle that chapter.

Note to future self:

At the end of the month, when you go back to count how much you did, put a big fat one beside brainstorming!

Magnus
12-04-2018, 02:05 AM
Day 3
Did some writing and revising but still need to step up the pace as this draft needs to get done so there's time to let it rest a bit.

WGough
12-04-2018, 04:27 AM
Day 3
Revised three scenes.

Keithy: Yay! Glad you're back.

The Second Moon: Nice work.

Layla: Congrats on the page!

xenylic: You can do it!

Cindyt: Go Jan Hammer! Your research sounds like a blast! Pun!

April: Congrats on the 1K. I'm adding Boxing Day and Hogmanay to my holiday roster. Thanks!

Taylor: Wow, that's awesome. WTG.

Pterofan: Hey, you got words down.

starrystorm: Been there. Struggle with making my characters more active. I blame Harry Potter.

Magnus: You'll get there!

Layla Nahar
12-04-2018, 06:19 AM
Xen, glad to hear you're back in the game

Cindy, that's a nice pace you're going at. And Miami Vice - wow. That's a blast from the past.

April, congrats on that 1k

Nice work, Taylor

Ptero, congrats on managing those 95 words with all those great movies to watch

excellent, Xen

Congrats on the breakthrough, starry

Nice work, Magnus

Way to keep at it, Gough

Day 3

WIP 1/2 page

R/SC earning service, OH - I was riding home, crossing under that highway when I saw a gaggle of kids on bikes & I said 'you're going riding' & one of them (not a kid, actually) said 'join us'. The light changed & I said 'I think I will.' So they were all teenagers doing wheelies, & dancing on the seats of their bikes while doing wheelies (you gotta see it) & it was rush hour - but if you're kids who can do wheelies, you don't care. The self-care involved here is that I heeded the call to be social.

$$ - tested my gear again - the little device is functioning, not broken, but it looks like (and I am surprised by this) my mic won't work with it. Ima check with my knowledgeable friend about this. Filled in a wee bit more of my matrix

Taylor Harbin
12-04-2018, 06:32 AM
Devised a plan for editing the novel and scribbled some notes on another short story. It’s gonna be a long haul with that book...

The Second Moon
12-04-2018, 06:55 AM
Day 3: 404 words. At least I've been writing everyday.

Keithy
12-04-2018, 06:59 AM
259 words, and some Christmas decorations put up.

It's so good to be writing again!

Swim swim swimmy swim.

Cindyt
12-04-2018, 08:35 AM
Day 3

Draft - 586

Edited - Several scenes and the Billy-Carolina relationship development.

Research - Cocaine eyes, the best sea-worth furniture upholstery. US Customs and Border Patrol Blue Thunder cigarette boats.

WGough - What would Miami be without sex, drugs, and rock n roll? My book is not a Miami Vice rip off. Lol. The main plot centers around a series of murders and disappearances in Billy’s personal life, while the law enforcement scenes are secondary. WTG on the three scenes.

April - Lol. Sorry about that. I read the lyrics to that song, and--not to brag--but my poem, Absolutely Miami, beats the hell out of it. Here it is if you want to read it. https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?339841-Absolutely-Miami&p=10485790#post10485790YaY on continued 1K.

Layla - I’m soaking up everything I can get my hands on about Miami, law enforcement, and the drug culture. Congrats on the half page

April Swanson
12-04-2018, 12:01 PM
Taylor: Good job cutting so much. Many darlings must have been slain!

Pterofan: Pfft, I mean, if you want to be Stephen King, quit TV, but there’s a happy medium between non-writer and top-of-the-biz. Personally, I need my Netflix …

xenylic: Great work!

starrystorm: Yes, brainstorming is so important! You need space to think about this stuff – and realising a character is passive is a big win.

Magnus: Good stuff, keep pluggin’ away!

WGough: Nice! And you’re welcome to the holidays :)

Layla: Ha, that’s awesome!

SecondMoon: Absolutely, and building that habit is so important.

Keithy: Woo! Glad you’re back in the game :)

Cindyt: Awesome poem! (I read it in Will Smith’s voice :tongue)

My streak has reached a humungous six days. Woop! I jotted down some thoughts before starting yesterday, and realised I needed to reshape Chapter One and insert a brand new Chapter Two. I’m beginning to love this book again :snoopy:

Day 3: Decent bit; 10 miles; cheeky rum

starrystorm
12-04-2018, 06:05 PM
DAY 3: I have no idea how much editing I did. I've been ripping this chapter apart and changing important details. I'll probably only be able to tell once I finish this chapter.

Magnus: I'm terrible at letting my drafts rest. Hope you have better luck.

WGough: LOL about the Harry Potter bit.

Layla: Thanks

Taylor: All books feel like long hauls.

Moon: Way to go.

Keithy: Good job.

Cindyt: Great work on all those categories.

April: Loving your book is the greatest motivation there is.

Pterofan
12-04-2018, 09:49 PM
Day 3 - 207 words. I also rewrote a couple paragraphs in a previous chapter, but I didn't count that.

I think the whole TV issue comes down to this: writing is hard and I'm fundamentally lazy. If I wasn't watching TV, I wouldn't be writing, I'd be reading or something. When you'd rather do housework than write, you know you have a problem. My new problem will be figuring out ways to deal with the old problem.

WGough - And I got to watch buff guys in tights. Priorities, y'know. :e2brows:

Layla - love that bike story! One year we had a major flood and there were kids all over riding their bikes through puddles. You know, where you get a fast start and go coasting through the water with your legs held straight out in the air? I haven't done that in decades. I've gotta get my bike fixed.

April - I don't want to be Stephen King. I just want to have his bank account, or one very similar to it. Then I can get my bike fixed and go looking for puddles.

Taylor Harbin
12-05-2018, 02:17 AM
Began editing the novel today. Only made it three pages in. This is gonna take awhile....

WGough
12-05-2018, 04:29 AM
Day 4
Revised two chapters, 3194 words. Twelve chapters to go.

Layla: Congrats on the 1/2 page and being social. Two big wins.

Taylor: I'm with ya. Editing is taking me forever.

The Second Moon: Nice word count. Keep at it!

Keithy: Yes!

Cindyt: I'm intrigued by your summary. Hurry up already! JK. Another amazing day for you!

April: So happy for you! Way to pre-write!

starrystorm: Sounds like you are slaying that chapter. Congrats! I, too, cannot let a draft rest. My memory has reached middle-age.

Pterofan: I second those priorities.

Keithy
12-05-2018, 05:53 AM
April - I wish my streaks were as long and productive as yours.

StarryStorm - yes, I can see myself ripping my MS apart (again).

Leyla - waving at you!

I managed 141 words today, which is not exactly a triumph. Some more Christmas decorations up. I am finding that, despite having finished painting walls etc, I still have no time. Is it Christmas yet?

swim swim swim :)

Layla Nahar
12-05-2018, 06:18 AM
Moon, congrats on the 304 & on writing everyday

Cindy, editing and polishing… nice! (I can barely draft)

Wooweee April - that's a great wave to be riding!

Keep at it starry!

Ptero - pretty much anything you can do on the bike is fuuunnnn! Congrats on the 207

Taylor, editing is hard…

Gough, nice work :D

Keithy, I'm of the mind that the days we have like 100 words, - those days are the real triumph - it could have been the blank page

WIP - 1/2 page

R/SC - earning service, paid rent (whew)
went to the liberry & did a wee grocery
Aaand - back to a Dreaded Project - I got a repreive when the housemate decided to stay in December. But now I have to look for someone for January. Got images for the ad ready.

$$ - learned that I need a different kind of mic to go with the little interface I have. So this project is going in to the meditation phase for a while. Got a book from the liberry for my indy project resarch

xenylic
12-05-2018, 06:52 AM
Wrote 1.2k words today, although I wasn't too happy with the content. It's just bland and not really moving me forward in the story. Hopefully tomorrow I'll hit something with a little more pop to it.

Ran 4 miles, pretty glum, gotta do a speech tomorrow (2nd to last one!), and either super tired or super fried. Still gotta keep myself from slipping. I know this week is tough, but if I can squeak by with 5k+ words in the bank, I'll be making my job a lot easier in two upcoming weeks.

Minus 12,625 words to go and counting!

Cindyt
12-05-2018, 09:15 AM
Day 4

Draft - 767

Edited - About three scenes

Research - Name of 1985 Macintosh word processor

WGough - I’m trying. Lol. WTG on a fantastic word count.

April - Thank you. It’s wonderful that you are beginning to love the story. What a feeling!

Starry - Your editing style sounds like mine.

Layla - WTG on the half page.

April Swanson
12-05-2018, 03:07 PM
starrystorm: Editing is hard to quantify. It sounds like you’ve been making really good progress.

Pterofan: Well, you can’t be that lazy because you check in here pretty much every day with words on the page :)

Taylor: Good luck editing.

WGough: Woo, you’re almost at single digits!

Keithy: Oh, I’m a total noob in the streak game! 141 is definitely a triumph after coming back from a break :)

Layla: Woo for half page and paying rent :)

xenylic: They’re still words on the page though, and as the old saying goes, you can’t fix a blank page.

Cindyt: K now I’m singing Irene Cara! Awesome job hitting 767.

Ooo I cut it close to the wire yesterday; had a chum coming round in the evening and I finished my 1k about eight minutes before she arrived. I was definitely spraffing the last couple hundred words but I can fix them later on. And by fix I mean delete.

Day 4: Decent bit; 9.5 miles; ginger overload

The Second Moon
12-05-2018, 05:05 PM
Day 4: 478 words. I completely forgot I wrote in the morning, but when I logged in to admit my big fat 0, I suddenly realized I had written! So far I've written every day.

starrystorm
12-05-2018, 10:25 PM
Drive by! December 4th: Wrote almost 500 words and edited a few more pages.

The Second Moon
12-05-2018, 11:15 PM
Day 5: 1,156 words. Not only is this the first time I've hit 1K this month, but I thought I wasn't going to write at all today. I might write some more later, though.

Pterofan
12-06-2018, 12:24 AM
Day 4 - 165 words, and learned my one vampire character hates to wear cowboy hats. But loves the boots.

Just got a freelance distraction out of the house, and I don't think anything's on tonight. Maybe I'll get something done. Or read.

April - it's those other romance writers who turn out a book a month with no drop in quality. They make me feel lazy.

WGough
12-06-2018, 04:58 AM
Day 5
Revised two scenes, 1433 words. Found a scene I thought I'd lost!

Keithy: Nice word count. You are a Christmas machine!

Layla: Congrats on the half page. The library is a time suck! In a good way.

xenylic: Great job. Good luck with your speech.

Cindyt: Draft, polish, edit, and research. I am such a slack!

April: Way to get it done!

The Second Moon: Congrats on breaking 1K!

Pterofan: Nice progress!

Wednesdays make me sleepy.

starrystorm
12-06-2018, 05:20 AM
Another drive-by because computer's slow. DAY 5: Wrote 500 words. No editing because this chapter is horrible and making me really think about my second POV character. Ugh.

Keithy
12-06-2018, 07:00 AM
Sigh, too much shopping and Christmas-related stuff needing to be done today. So nothing written, a few notes jotted down.

I forgot how time consuming Christmas is.

Swim swims... treads water :(

Layla Nahar
12-06-2018, 07:13 AM
Xen, congrats on keeping up that pace with everything going on

Nice work Cindy (not Lisa? the Mac I mean)

Dang April, you're on fire!

Moon, wtg! Congrats on that 1K

Ptero congrats on that 165

Gough - excellent progress as usual :D

Nice work starry

keep swimming, K!

Day 5 -

WIP - 1 page

R/SC - earning service; stopped @ the Patagonia store - they might be able to fix my old vest; moved my car to the tow-safe side, some chores

$$ - found out that the gear store will be easier to get to than I thought - so, where did I put that $10 gift card?? Indy research and wee bit of writing, matrix work

Cindyt
12-06-2018, 08:42 AM
Day 5

Draft - 433

Edited - 4 scenes

Research - hooking a yacht up to a power pedestal at a marina, fresh watermakers

WGough - Congrats finding the scene you lost. Happened to me yesterday. I found it in my deleted scene file. https://static.wixstatic.com/media/8083c9_e4654976c556471eb4e41c4145c1ff7d.gif

Layla - It’s MacWrite vs. our current Window‘s WORKS. I saw the Lisa computer, but the version I chose had more capabilities than Lisa‘s GUI graphics. I added an app to chart travel intimacies. I have a few James-Bond thingyes. Congrats on the 1 page.

I got the book with the parterre garden, and am fixing to create my on Villa Casa Rosada house and garden estate. I created an elaberate one on paper years ago and lost the bugger. https://static.wixstatic.com/media/8083c9_2df76608e0fe4d9199c51e3cdd835ce3~mv2.gif

xenylic
12-06-2018, 10:31 PM
1,535 words today! Had some serious ground to make up after yesterday's fluke, but I think I'm sitting in pretty good condition. My goal for this week is to reach 130k, and now I'm less than 1.1k from it with Friday wide open for me. Also, quality is much better too, after grinding my way through an ugly bout of aimlessness.

In other news, I finally finished my speech yesterday! Now every class is on its last assignment!

No running today, because I haven't been feeling all that well physically, but made positive use of the free time to get my homework done bright and early.

Minus 11,090 words and counting!

Pterofan
12-06-2018, 11:32 PM
Day 5 - 187 words

Can't seem to get myself moving today. I'm going to eat veggies for dinner and get a full night's sleep, see if that makes a difference tomorrow.

The Second Moon
12-07-2018, 03:00 AM
Day 6: 454 words.

If I write tomorrow I will have written every day for a week!

WGough
12-07-2018, 05:29 AM
Day 6
Revised one scene, 1370 words. Eight chapters to go!

starrystorm: I hear ya!

Keithy: Keep swimming!

Layla: Congrats on your page!

Cindyt: Good luck with your recreation. Shout out to 'fixin'!

xenylic: Amazing word count.

Pterofan: Feel better.

The Second Moon: See you tomorrow!

Layla Nahar
12-07-2018, 06:08 AM
Cindy - I like your 4/4 - wtg!
(I wonder what the one I used was called - same one Mr. Spock reached the Enterprise with to save the whales. Played SIM city on it.)

Keep at it Xen!

Ptero - congrats on the 187, and on keeping at it, even if the face of feeling discourage

Allright Moon, wtg!!

Excellent, Gough :)

Day 6 - off to a good start w/ just shy of 1 page :)

R/SC - earning service; stopped at Patagonia & got my vest fixed. (they fix it with tape! High-tech Patagonia tape…)

$$ - ordered a usb audio interface to replace the one I can't use

Keithy
12-07-2018, 06:23 AM
Spent some time messing around with pointless stuff (I think that's called "procrastinating"), but at least the Christmas decorations are all up. The lounge and porch look very nice.

Hats off to Xenylic, that's a huge word count.

As for me, I managed 512 words today. The caveat being that about 1/3 of that was recycled and slightly changed old material. But either way, I feel like I know where I am going with this.

This is the first chapter, and Shana has recently arrived on this medieval "mud ball" of a planet, as she calls it (she thinks the people are smelly and primitive). She's about to get caught up an interesting adventure.

Keep on swimming! :)

Cindyt
12-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Day 6

Draft - 667

Edited - 2 scenes

Research - Famous tourist attractions and food in Liverpool, England. Trawler yacht engine and range specs, which was like pulling wisdom teeth. Gah. The problem was how many hp my twin motors needed each. I had to track down a 70 foot trawler yacht with twin hp listed. Easy. Naw.

WGough - The chart is coming along swimmingly. WTG on the nice word count. Isn’t is a wonder feeling when you have just a few more chapters to go?

Layla - WTG on almost 1 page.

I came close to taking the night off. Decided to edit a few things. And then got writing draft.

April Swanson
12-07-2018, 02:46 PM
Second Moon: Congratulations for passing the 1k mark and keeping up your streak :)

starrystorm: Take the time to think about that character. It’s in revision where characters are made (or chopped!).

Pterofan: Oh god, I know. I tried to publish a book a month a few years ago and I did actually manage it for four novels, but it burned me bad. I’ve come to accept that Bella Forrest and I are not the same species.

WGough: Ha, glad you found it! (I have to wonder … where did it go?!) SINGLE FIGURES WOO!

Keithy: I now refuse to let Christmas invade my entire December. I give it 23rd - 1st and that’s it! I’ve become a total Scrooge.

Layla: One page and very-nearly-one page! Ooo Patagonia. Me like.

Cindyt: Nice work. Obviously you know I’m singing the Beatles now.

xenylic: Wooft, well done!

I went to a really interesting writing seminar and came away with lots of big things to mull over. It did, however, mean the end of my very small streak (awwww). Anyway, I’m gonna take the next couple of days to pause again and think about the overall feel of the book. My finished books all have colours (don’t ask) and this one doesn’t. I need to find its colour.

Day 5: Decent bit; 9 miles; bad Pringles, bad

Day 6: Decent bit; 6 miles; mind BLOWN

Taylor Harbin
12-07-2018, 03:40 PM
Put some final edits on my fantasy short. Back to the novel while I wait on additional feedback. I have so much swimming in my head it’s ridiculous. A partial story to finish, a draft to edit, and one story in concept yet to be written.

The Second Moon
12-07-2018, 05:55 PM
Day 7: 413 words.

I finished another short story! :partyguy: That's five out of ten first drafts done for this short story collection. I might write more later on toady with the next story or save it for tomorrow.

EDIT: I almost forgot I've written everyday for a week!

starrystorm
12-07-2018, 06:12 PM
DAY 7: Nothing. This character is driving me crazy. He's nothing like the MC. He thinks so poorly of himself, so that's why I'm going to interview all my other characters to see what he's not seeing.

Pterofan
12-07-2018, 09:29 PM
Day 6 - 237 words.

Ate veggies and got a good night's sleep, and now I'm going to use all that energy to ... run around braving traffic and Christmas crowds. I think the end of Daylight Savings Time threw off my sleep schedule. Or the extra darkness and cold make it easier to stay in bed longer. By the time I get up and moving and have breakfast, half the morning's shot. It becomes oh so easy to say, "I'll write later."

Second Moon: :hooray: on the story!

April: I'm more concerned about my slow pace than I am with burnout. That's why I want to have at least four books drafted before I send the first one out. I should take advantage of the cold winter days to stay in the house and churn out drafts, then revise and sub when spring returns.

xenylic
12-08-2018, 03:44 AM
I've gotten 1,132 words down today, which closes this week out just above the 130k threshold for Book #2. Things are still a bit rough around the edges and slow-moving, but I'm keeping pace, and that's huge here.

I really think that I've been in do or die type of territory. If I fall more than a day or two behind, catching up is virtually impossible. Thankfully, I've stepped up, and if I can do what I did this week two more times, then I'm home free. Next week should be easier than this one, and the following should be even easier than the last. So I just need to keep my focus.

Minus 9,935 words and counting!

Layla Nahar
12-08-2018, 05:17 AM
A seminar sounds great, A. Here's to moving forward with our stories

total Scrooge Scrooge was a visionary. A much-maligned visionary.

Keep at it, Taylor

Congrats on that finishing, Moon :)

Aurrgh starry, I can relate.

Ptero - I have the same thing with output. (see below)

Xen, you're a machine!

Day 7

WIP 1/4 page
R/SC - earing service. & I came home & spaced. Ima read a book on the couch (all that tidying paid off - I can sit on my couch since it's not being used as a storage space now)
$$ - did some writing on and indy project exercise

Cindyt
12-08-2018, 08:48 AM
Day 7

Draft - 518

Research - Wharf on Bay Street in Nassau.

April - A writing seminar? Lucky lucky.

April Swanson
12-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Taylor: Too many ideas is definitely better than too few!

SecondMoon: Yay, congratulations!

starrystorm: Interviews sound like a solid plan. Some characters are so hard to crack.

Pterofan: May the power of vegetables be with you!

xenylic: Great count – your goal is getting ever closer :)

Layla: I like your thinking :) Glad your sofa is available for book-reading. I actually did the same thing myself at 5 am this morning (thanks, insomnia).

Cindyt: It was the first big craft talk I’ve been to, and was very helpful (but now my mind is bursting!). Good job crossing the 500 line.

No words; I’m still having Big Thoughts. I know my title and two main characters and what I kinda want the book to be about, but I’m still struggling to decide the best way to tell the story. Been trying to crack this nut since April 2017. Eek …

Day 7: Decent bit; 6.5 miles; decision-making fail

Pterofan
12-08-2018, 09:24 PM
Day 7 - half a page longhand, so about 200 words

I just got a long freelance assignment with a short deadline, so now I have a paid excuse not to write next week. I'll see what I can fit in between the cracks.

The Second Moon
12-09-2018, 02:53 AM
DAY 8: 878 words.

I really thought I'd make it to 1K but I guess not. But still, I'm happy with it being in the 800's.

Layla Nahar
12-09-2018, 04:18 AM
Excellent, Cindy

April - I'm pretty sure I started work on my WIP in April 2017. Here's to those nuts cracking!

Nice work on the 1/2 page, Ptero

Congrats on the 800, Moon

Day 8

WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - wrote some checks, paid a bill, got 'Prisoner of Azkaban' at the liberry
$$ - some indy project exercise writing

WGough
12-09-2018, 05:32 AM
Day 8
Revised two chapters, 6401 words.

Layla: Nice work. Love watching Harry Potter films this time of year.

The Second Moon: Outstanding!

Pterofan: Congrats on your assignment!

April: Way to think! Puce. You're welcome.

Cindyt: Nice drafting.

xenylic: Congrats. Give yourself a break and a pat on the back.

starrystorm: Yes. Describing a character from another character's POV has saved my bacon.

Taylor: That sounds like hell.

Keithy: Welcome back, Shana.

Cindyt
12-09-2018, 07:21 AM
Day 8

Drive by. Today was my quarterly wellness checkup, and it is always an ordeal, and all I did when I got home was sleep.

Taylor Harbin
12-09-2018, 04:09 PM
I had to quit tweaking my fantasy short and just submit the darned thing. Either it sinks or it swims.

Pterofan
12-09-2018, 11:19 PM
Day 8 - 167 words. The assignment's a bugger and it's going to take up the bulk of my time next week.

Taylor - good luck with the sub!

The Second Moon
12-10-2018, 04:03 AM
Day 9: 195 words

At least it's something and writing everyday is my biggest goal this month.

WGough
12-10-2018, 06:11 AM
Day 9
Revised two chapter, 4157 words. My furnace threw a tantrum, so distraction.

Cindyt: Ugh, hope you slept well.

Taylor: Swim, swim, swim. Good luck.

Pterofan: Way to get some words down. Good luck with your assignment.

The Second Moon: Way to keep at it.

Have a good week, folks!

Keithy
12-10-2018, 06:36 AM
Ah, Second Moon, that's OK, you're allowed a slow day after your previous sterling efforts this week. Be kind to yourself.

Taylor - good luck from me too.

Cindyt - sleep well, keep well.

As for me, I did nothing yesterday but tip-tapped out 421 words today. I am beginning to flesh out the supporting characters and their relationships - I have a rumbling discontent between "SL" and "WW" (I need names). Shana has been found by a small team of people tasked with preventing people summoning demons. Demons are bad in this world - they are like nuclear weapons.

swim swim swimmy swim

Layla Nahar
12-10-2018, 07:37 AM
Excellent, Gough!

Rest & take it easy, C :)

Whoa, Taylor - writing is hard, rewriting is harder, but submitting - separates the men adults from the boys children ;)

Way to keep at it Ptero

Congratulation Moon, on the 195 and writing every day this month :D

Great work Gough!

Keithy, congrats on the 421!

Day 9

WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - started the day with a housemate call (6 AM) then earning service, groceries and I was freezing & tired when I go home & took a big nap. I wanted to do all the get-ready-for-the-week chores but too tired & foggy, so I read Harry Potter & just squeaked by with the chores & got basics ready for tomorrow, and had time for a quick bath & tha Manipedi Ended the evening with two housemate emails
$$ - moar indy writing exercise

Cindyt
12-10-2018, 09:09 AM
Day 9

Draft - 765

Polished - 1 scene

Research - Bikini wax styles. ;)

Published - The North Gwinnett Voice published my feature article Sweet Nothings On Scrap Paper

Kiethy - I did, thank you so much! Congrats on the tip-tapped 421 words.

WGough - Actually, I slept too much. Lol. I didn’t want to write word-one today, but I got up and got my butt in gear.

Layla - I slept so well yesterday afternoon, I slept today too. WTG on the half page.

I had a brainstorm in the form of a mime who triggers a brutality that happened to Carolina when she was fourteen.

April Swanson
12-10-2018, 03:24 PM
Pterofan: Paid excuses are good excuses.

SecondMoon: Great count!

Layla: Azkaban is my fav book ever :) Have you read it before?

WGough: The end must be in sight now …

Cindyt: Way to get back in the groove :)

Taylor: Good luck!

Keithy: Very sensible to spend time on the supporting cast. Good luck finding names.

Busy weekend; today I am catastrophically hungover. Watching Star Trek. Star Trek good. (Wine bad). Gonna attempt to direct my brain towards my book later on … I’m sure I’ll have some amazingly creative thoughts.

Day 10: Bleh; 0.5 miles; uunnnnggghhhhh

Pterofan
12-10-2018, 10:39 PM
Day 9 - a bit less than a page and a half longhand; I'm calling it 500 words. Yay to long commercial breaks during TV!

April - what are your views on Romulan ale? :e2drunk:

The Second Moon
12-11-2018, 02:31 AM
DAY 10: 1,307 words.

Yay. I reached 1K.

xenylic
12-11-2018, 04:57 AM
Just over 1,200 words today! Had my character's love interest play a little game of backgammon, get drunk, and spill her guts about all her jealous inclinations, which is always fun to write about :D

In other news, I finished the hardest project of the most demanding class for this semester. Still have a final to take next Tuesday, but everything else in that class is DONE.

Kinda tired and moody. My sister comes back home for the holidays tomorrow, but I probably won't see her until Thursday at the earliest. I also have another concern due tomorrow night, but hopefully it'll be a nice break up the monotony of work, work, and more work.

Oh, and I almost forgot! 8,629 words left for the year! I can almost taste 140k!

WGough
12-11-2018, 05:23 AM
Day 10
Revised two chapters, 4104 words. Four chapters to go.

Keithy: Way to tip-tap. Nice word count.

Layla: That's some day. Congrats on your 1/2 page.

Cindyt: Your day sounds like an amusement park. Love, love, love.

April: Perfect way to spend a hungover day. Feel better, Number One.

Pterofan: Nice progress.

The Second Moon: Wow. Great work!

xenylic: Amazing word count!

Taylor Harbin
12-11-2018, 06:12 AM
Edited a page and a half. All of my momentum came to a screeching halt with two rejections.

Layla Nahar
12-11-2018, 07:19 AM
April, yes, I have but I only remember Trelawney's class… so it's like a new book for me :D

Congrats on that 1.5 pages, Ptero!

Great work, Moon

Excellent productivity, Xen :D

Wow, Gough - 4 chapters to go.

ah - Taylor - those Rs…

Day 10

WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - earning service, housemate phone call
$$ - some indy project research, a very wee bit of exercise writing

Cindyt
12-11-2018, 08:33 AM
Day 10

Draft - 620

Polished - 1 scene. 1 chapter. Table of Contents on historical.

Research - English spoken with a Spanish accent.

April - If I can just stay in the groove. Everybody has a slump day.

Moon - YaY!

WGough - Sounds like you had a successful writing session. WTG

I am taking antibiotics for a sinus infection that wants to worsen, and I did not want to write at all today, but I pushed my nose aside and tip-tapped.

Pterofan
12-11-2018, 10:26 PM
Day 10 - 339 words

Still hacking away at the freelance work, and now I have a dental appointment tomorrow morning (check-up/cleaning, nothing to worry about). It's either feast or famine, isn't it? :tongue

Taylor - sorry about the Rs. See April for Romulan ale.

April Swanson
12-11-2018, 10:52 PM
Pterofan: It makes for a great hair o’ the dug :tongue

xenylic: Well done!

WGough: Captain, eh? ;) (Yay you’re so close!)

Taylor: Sorry to hear about the rejections. A loss of momentum is completely understandable.

Layla: I’m intrigued to know why her class in particular stood out for you! Was it all the teapots?

Cindyt: Ooft, great job for writing when ill. I hope your research involved watching clips of Manuel from Fawlty Towers.

Feeling a wee bit more alive today. Did quite a bit of character work and world-building, which was fun. I need to organise my notes and then sort out oppositions between characters. Tomorrow though. My brain is too mush for any more today.

Day 11: Decent bit; 9 miles; total bloody Mayhem (baroompa-tsss)

Taylor Harbin
12-12-2018, 12:09 AM
In spite of my earlier depression, I somehow managed to transcribe a few pages. Hopefully this story will be done as a first draft soon. After this one is done I'm quitting shorts and devoting as much time as possible to editing the novel. Went through eight pages today, just simple line-by-line stuff.

Blinkk
12-12-2018, 12:10 AM
I may be a little late to this party but I just saw this thread. Doing NANO is difficult for me since I have to travel out of state every November to see my family for two different Thanksgivings. Totally worth it but with all the travel I do, writing that many words is near impossible.

I just saw that there's a December challenge to write every day. I'm 10 days behind, but I'm jumping into this challenge right now!

December goals:
1) Finally write that huge ending scene I've been avoiding.
2) Head back to the start and redo the intro. It doesn't have to be perfect, but play around with some new intro ideas. I'm unhappy with what I currently have.
3) I will write minimum 300 words every day with the intent of building habit, not finishing a story.

The Second Moon
12-12-2018, 03:40 AM
Day 12: 646 words.

I'm doing good so far at keeping up my streak.

xenylic
12-12-2018, 03:55 AM
1,500 words today! Slow start, and pretty wiped, but I'm still keeping at it. Taking things day by day (as hard as it is at this point).

I've got my second concert tonight, which will be a nice break away from book stuff.

Minus 7,137 words and counting!

Layla Nahar
12-12-2018, 04:51 AM
Nice work, Cindy

Ptero - 339 is great! Congratulations

April, I dunno but I *think* it might be the weirdness of her classroom location - I never quite grokked it. (wow. My spellcheck likes grok…)

Taylor, I've definitely had those days where I all I could do was something do-abble - congrats on doing some writing

Hi Blinkk and welcome!

You sure are, Moon :D

Xen, you're unstoppable

Day 11
WIP - 3/4 page - a surprise, since I got up a bit late and didn't expect to have writing time (I basically have a 10 minute window on work days)
R/SC - earning service, housemate call
$$indy research, PHONE INTERVIEW for a skilled gig :)

Keithy
12-12-2018, 06:13 AM
Welcome Blinkk! 300 words is good. I keep telling myself that if I want to get the book written then write it.
Xenylic - good progress, that's about my limit for a week at the moment. I need to speed up and stop wasting time on (insert pointless stuff).
WGough - the dubious pleasure of editing awaits me. At present my work is so rough I could sand wood with it.

OK, I did nothing yesterday, but I did win at scrabble.

Today I managed to crank out 366 words, which got me to the end of a chapter. Shana has been introduced to her first horse (where she comes from they use fusion-powered hover vehicles etc). The horses are a bit scared of her because she evolved from a more carnivorous humanoid. She's yet to find reverse gear.

I started poking and prodding at chapter 2 but couldn't make myself do more. I've just told myself I need to name the rest of my characters.

Swimmy swims swim swim... making progress.

WGough
12-12-2018, 07:27 AM
Day 11
Revised one chapter, 3549 words.

Taylor: So sorry. Way to get back at it!

Layla: Congrats on the 3/4 page and phone interview!

Cindyt: Way to power through. Awesome job(s)!

Pterofan: Nice word count. Have fun at the dentist!

April: So organized. Well earned mushbrain.

Blinkk: Welcome! Nice goals. I dig your ethos.

The Second Moon: Great job.

xenylic: Wow word count! Good luck with your concert.

Keithy: Winning at Scrabble is not nothing! Nice word count. Congrats conquering that first chapter.

Swim, swim, swim.

Cindyt
12-12-2018, 09:28 AM
Day 11

Draft - 233

Edit - Reworked English-Spanish pidgin.

Research - Law enforcement assault rifles. Found a villa’s floor plans and parterre garden with the location of all the “rooms.” Planning to morph into my own villa and gardens.

April - I’m deaf. My husband is Mexican. It took me forever to be able to read the Spanish-accented English on his lips. He was deported in 2012, and I was hesitant to use memories of it for fear of err. But I decided to channel it anyway. His English was all but fluent, though spoken like a non-native. He would say “We need towel paper” and “You go to store, you.” He called my sister Bickie instead of Vickie. And he drew out the short a. Our last name of Tapia was Tahhhpiahhh. I miss my dog more than I miss him.

Blinkk - :welcome: aboard!

WGough - Well, I pulled the throttle back today. Wow, WTG on that one chapter word count.

starrystorm
12-12-2018, 05:53 PM
DAY 11: I know I haven't been here for a while, but I've been so busy and feeling blue with my book. Yesterday I managed a new 243 word scene.

Taylor Harbin
12-12-2018, 07:02 PM
Wrote a page and a half on the new story. Edited a page and a half on the novel. This part of the novel has already been thoroughly worked since it began as a short story, so I don’t expect to find a lot of glaring problems, story wise.

Pterofan
12-12-2018, 08:10 PM
Day 11 - slightly less than half a page longhand. I'm going to be optimistic and call it 200 words. And no cavities!

Off to work on things that'll help me pay for that dentist visit. At the next one they'll be giving me X-rays. :tongue

The Second Moon
12-13-2018, 03:34 AM
Day 12: 652 words. That's good enough for me.

Layla Nahar
12-13-2018, 04:19 AM
WTG Kiethy, congrats on the 366 words

You go Gough ;)

congrats on the Three, Cindy

starry!! Good to see you :) congrats on the 234 :D

Nice work Taylor

Congrats on the 1/2 page, Ptero

Congrats on the 652 Moon

WIP 1/2 page. This mornimg I got up *really* late and just had to get out the door. Writing out of routine challenge! ;)

R/SC - earning service; housemate visit

$$ - indy research

starrystorm
12-13-2018, 06:09 AM
DAY 12: 115 :( I'm slowly getting over this chapter. But I shouldn't be upset. I'm trying to really get to know my second POV through this chapter, so I'll take the time if I must.

Keithy
12-13-2018, 06:31 AM
Cindyt - interesting what you say about languages, because although my MC (Shana) is very good at figuring out languages, she doesn't get it immediately. So she says things like "I am wanting to go home." and "But either would be bettering than driving my horse."

Starry Storm - thumbs up to the 243 words :)
Second moon - that's good enough for most people too.

OK, I managed to tip-tap out 766 words today. Shana's new friends were hunting a thief who stole a very important artifact, but they lost him and have stopped for the night and built a fire. There's going to be some exposition "what the hell is going on?" and some talk about what to do next. After that, one of them trains Shana how to use a sword. She thinks it's a ridiculous weapon, but barely knows more than to hold the blunt end. And I think I have names for new friends - Mac, Ella and Grog. Subject to change.

So, more swimming to come!

xenylic
12-13-2018, 06:42 AM
1,148 words today! I'm officially on my last week of classes (finishing the 19th). Three more to go!

Lots of work ahead of me during the weekend, but right now it's just about closing the week strong with the rest of my open time. If I can get 2k between tomorrow and Friday, I'll be absolutely golden to roll into the next (and final) week of writing for December.

Also as a little side project (and a fun one that is keeping me sane) I'm making a Christmas cover on the piano, which I'll probably finish up right around the same time I finish everything else this month. :D

Minus 5,989 words and counting! Woohoo!

WGough
12-13-2018, 06:51 AM
Day 12
One scene drafted, 715 words. One chapter revised, 2131 words. One chapter to go.

Cindyt: Nice work. I was heartbroken for you, then wham! " I miss my dog more than I miss him."

starrystorm: Welcome back. Way to scene! Great attitude.

Taylor: Don't you just love those previously edited scenes?

Pterofan: Clean teeth and words. Pearl Drops!

The Second Moon: All the good.

Layla: Way to write out of routine.

Keithy: Wow! Yay Grog!

Blinkk
12-13-2018, 10:11 AM
Day 12 (but I joined late, so actually day 2)

My minimum requirement was to write 300 words a day. I sat down to hit my minimum and next time I checked I was at 1600. I'm going to stop here for the night. Working on the ending climax of my WIP. I've had these scenes running around in my head for about three months. It's finally time to get them down on paper.

I also wrote the shortest chapter I think I've ever written before. Dunno if I'll keep it, but it's only two sentences long:
A month went by. She was numb for all of it.

@TheSecondMoon nice job! Keep up the pace.

@Layla that habit forming work is important. Sometimes it's just sitting down and doing it, not even about the quantity.

@Starrystorm you sound like you're on the right path. Trust your gut on this one.

@Keithy I really like the name Grog. Is this a fantasy story? I dunno why, but I feel like that makes a great name for a fantasy character. :D

@Xenylic 2k is a lot, but you got this. And by Christmas cover, do you mean you're doing christmas songs on the piano, or you're actually making a physical christmas cover to put over your piano for protection? Because I rather do like music and if you're covering a song...well...I might want to hear it x.x

Cindyt
12-13-2018, 10:28 AM
Day 12

Draft - 161

Edit - 1 scene

Polished - 2 articles

Submitted - The article Suddenly There Was Barbara to The North Gwinnett Voice.

Interview with - Barbara’s daughter-in-law

Storm - We all have days like that. I’ve had weeks and months. Glad to see you back and WTG on the word count.

Keithy - My husband spoke English in literal translation, that is: in Spanish, paper towel is spoken as towel paper. That may be what your Shana is doing in her native language. 766 words is terrific, and your story sounds interesting.

WGough - Yeah, but the dog didn’t get a machete after me like he did. You did good today, as usual.

April Swanson
12-13-2018, 01:18 PM
Taylor: Good to hear you’re back movin’.

Blinkk: It’s never too late to join! Good luck with your goals :)

SecondMoon: Woo! You’re on a roll!

xenylic: Well done, those are awesome numbers!

Layla: Yeah, if I were taught in there I’d be asleep within seconds. Can’t believe you get those words down in just ten minutes!

Keithy: Scrabble’s basically writing. I mean, you’re thinking up words and putting them down for others to see. Well done hitting 766!

WGough: One chapter to go! Wooo!

Cindyt: I think your memoirs will make for an interesting read!

starrystorm: Sorry to hear you’ve not been loving it. I feel like that all the time. Great job starting the new scene though – hopefully that’ll help to bring back the lurve.

Pterofan: Dental health is one of the lesser cited motivations for writing ;)

I’m still piddling around with character stuff, figuring out opposition etc. Got itchy feet to write again, but I know my foundation isn’t solid enough and I’ll just peter out if I don’t do the work now.

Day 12: Decent bit; 8.5 miles; feast of dreams

WGough
12-14-2018, 04:22 AM
Day 13
Book I revision done-ish. For now. I've got six chapters I want have another go at. Then on to the polish.

Blinkk: Holy crow, I love it when that happens. I like the drama of your two sentence chapter. Plus it accomplishes passage of time and efficiently conveys the mood. And it makes me feel better about my 4 page chapters.

Cindyt: Draft, edit, polish, submit. The power quartet! Deep breath, glad you're safe and desperate to read your memoir.

April: Admiring your discipline over here.

The Second Moon
12-14-2018, 04:22 AM
Day 13: 292 words

Hmm. It felt like I wrote a lot more than that, but I did only write for a little bit this morning.

Layla Nahar
12-14-2018, 06:09 AM
Ima driveby today

Day 13

WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - earning service; chores
$$ - updated my info with a placement agency; indy research

(sooo tired...)

Taylor Harbin
12-14-2018, 06:24 AM
I got maybe a page done on the new story. Wrestled with an idea, just so I’d have some notes, it it didn’t yield anything. I’ve got company coming this weekend so my time will be largely spent elsewhere.

Keithy
12-14-2018, 07:18 AM
Bit of a struggle today. Only 300 words; I was going to do more but I forgot my brother in law was coming this evening for a birthday party.

Shana is being taught how to use a sword. She ends up lying on the floor every bout, and almost gives up.

More swimming tomorrow. Oh, just realized I have more non-writing stuff to do. I need to do more writing.

Blinkk
12-14-2018, 07:31 AM
Day 13

1,100 words today. I'll probably do a bit more when I get home, but I gatta pack up my laptop now. I feel like I'm cheating. I've already had this story in my head for months, I just haven't had a chance to sit down and bash it out on paper.

@Wgough Don't feel self conscious about your 4 page chapters. Mannnn, my chapter lengths vary greatly. I've got 10k chapters, all the way to 500 word chapters. Now I've got a two sentence chapter. The story needs whatever it needs.

@Taylor I struggle greatly when company comes over. That always kills my writing vibe. You're a more powerful person than I am if you can get any writing done at all.

Cindyt
12-14-2018, 09:05 AM
Day 13

Draft - 91

Edit - transferred my newspaper articles to my memoirs and edited some of them.

April - I'm just the opposite. Piddling and planning bore the heck out of me. I just jump in with a main character or two and let loose the story. Works for me.

WGough - WTG on the revision. It feels good to get that far, doesn't it?

The cold in my nose got worse. I’m taking antibiotics, nasal spray, and rubbing Vick’s salve on my nose so I can breath. So, that doesn’t make for much writing. Hoping to be more productive today.

Taylor Harbin
12-14-2018, 03:20 PM
Blinkk: one of the perks of getting up way early

Pterofan
12-14-2018, 10:29 PM
Day 12 - 114 words
Day 13 - 186 words

Had to skip my library visit yesterday and was up at 5 this morning so I could get the paid work done by deadline. It's finished, it's out, and I'm tired. I may write after I take a nap. But I've got the weekend to myself, woohoo!

Keithy - another vote for Grog. He sounds like my kind'a guy. Is it a guy? I'm not sure "Grog" is gender-specific.

xenylic
12-15-2018, 03:01 AM
Got super stuck yesterday and bummed out, but I recovered pretty well today. 1.4k words, which keeps me on pace to finish next week. And I'm also finally finished Christmas shopping!

My sister flew in for the holidays Tuesday, but I haven't been home to see her until yesterday evening.

No homework done unfortunately. Too chaotic today, but I'm cautiously optimistic that it won't be as bad as I thought it might be. I'm aiming to get it done by Sunday, but for now, I've made it through another week!

Minus 4,378 words and counting!

Blinkk: A Christmas cover song, haha. Yeah, if I manage to record it, I could add a link here when it's done.

The Second Moon
12-15-2018, 04:14 AM
Day 14: 235 words

I've written every day for two weeks.

starrystorm
12-15-2018, 04:16 AM
DAY 13: Wrote a new 189 words on the same chapter.
DAY 14: Wrote some, but ended up trashing it.

WGough
12-15-2018, 06:02 AM
Day 14
Revised those last six chapters. The first revision (that I'm happy with) of Book I is done. Sigh.

The Second Moon: Awesome job!

Layla: Congrats on your half page!

Taylor: Way to wrestle. Enjoy your human interaction!

Keithy: 300 words is amazing!

Blinkk: I'm wowed that you can hold a story in your head for that long! Great word count. And thanks for commiserating.

Cindyt: Yes, yes it does. Gosh, I hope you feel better soon!

Pterofan: Way to get it done. Sleep well.

xenylic: You can do it!

starrystorm: Nice word count, and way to brave the delete!

Happy weekend, folks.

Keithy
12-15-2018, 06:04 AM
Pterofan - yes Grog is man. He is in his early twenties and used to go by the name "CC" which stood for "Cheeky Chappie". He's the sort of person who laughs at everything, and especially nothing.
Xenylic - good to see the end in sight to a project!!
Second moon - that is my goal. I tend to have good days and dud days in which I write nothing. I need at least one day of 800+ every week.

Well, I am telling myself that I am a writer because I'm writing, and I am beginning to believe it. And feel happy about it. I know there will rough times.

Regarding today's progress - 690 words. Good, but I'm going to have to up the beat.

Shana has just finished her sword training and is sitting on front of a fire, looking up at the night sky and thinking wistfully about home, thinking about the constellations that would be there. She starts thinking about how she got here and feels sad, and starts singing a song that her mother taught her when she was a child. Unfortunately she has landed on a planet where singing is banned, and for very good reasons. And, alas, the group she has fallen in with are tasked with enforcing that ban.

And that means I have to think up a suitable song. Hmm.

Just keep swimming :)

Layla Nahar
12-15-2018, 07:07 AM
Congrats on that page, Taylor

Nice work Blinkk :D

Cindy congrats on the 91. Hope you feel better. (I put cotton wool up my nose and just wait for it to over…)

Congrats on the fiction & on getting the freelance out the door Ptero

You're a trooper Xen! keep at it :)

Way to go Moon -

Starry, Congrats on your Day 13 189 and your Day 14 production! :)

Kiethy - congrats on the 690!

Day 14
WIP 1/2 page (& some mulling over the Three Query Questions)
R/SC - earning service, chores, housemate email
$$ - indy research

Blinkk
12-15-2018, 08:08 AM
Day 14

Getting closer to The Big Climax Scene. 600 words done today, and the tension is rising. A king is going to die very, very soon. Damn I'm excited.

@xenylic wow that's a nice chunk of writing. Great job! Also, if you learn that christmas song let me know. I love music. I love musicians <3 Wanna hear!

@Wgough, it's done?! Congrats! Even if there's more drafts to get through, do something nice for yourself. That's awesome work.

@Keithy a planet that bans singing is a terrible thing. Also, a wonderful setting for a story. Also, never invite xenylic there.

Cindyt
12-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Day 14

Draft - 233

Layla - I rub Vick’s salve on my nose. Works for me. So far. Congrats on the ½ page. Hope you came up with good ones on the three query questions.

WGough - Congrats!

Welp, I slept most of the day. Haven’t done that in a long time, but I’m not complaining. I may not sleep for the rest of the weekend. Fixing to get to writing.

Pterofan
12-15-2018, 09:28 PM
Day 14 - half a page longhand, about 200 words

That week devoted to freelancing paid off; it kept me from getting the Christmas cards out. I've been sending my brother homemade cards for Xmas and his birthday. This morning I woke up with an idea even better than the one I had planned. Hope he enjoys it. Hint: he's a conservative Republican and I'm ... well, not. :evil

To Second Moon and WGough: :Thumbs:, plus a bunch of bananas apiece: :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana::banana:

Layla Nahar
12-15-2018, 09:29 PM
I missed Gough! That's a good enough reason to check in early - Conngratulations on revising Book 1. Dang you got to The End twice! (I'm still trying to get to the beginning…)

Blinkk - wtg with the 600 words :)

& congrats on the 233 Cindy :)

Day 15

WIP - 1 page
R/SC - puttered on a few projects, took it easy - self-care win ;)
$$ indy project - research

KayMitch
12-16-2018, 12:09 AM
Sorry I haven't been around for this month's challenge. I've been busy with holiday season at work, and my pup isn't doing so well. He's lost probably 15-20lbs in the last few weeks and is having some kind of issue with his bladder/urinary tract. :( I'll probably be back next month, but I'll try to keep all of you updated and check in to see how you guys are doing with your writing! The pup has an appointment on Monday so hopefully they will have some answers for me.

Cindyt
12-16-2018, 12:56 AM
Sorry I haven't been around for this month's challenge. I've been busy with holiday season at work, and my pup isn't doing so well. He's lost probably 15-20lbs in the last few weeks and is having some kind of issue with his bladder/urinary tract. :( I'll probably be back next month, but I'll try to keep all of you updated and check in to see how you guys are doing with your writing! The pup has an appointment on Monday so hopefully they will have some answers for me. Take care, and we'll see you next month!

Layla Nahar
12-16-2018, 03:17 AM
Kay, I hope your 4-legged friend will be feeling better very soon.

The Second Moon
12-16-2018, 03:26 AM
Day 15: 960 words.

That's almost 1K.

starrystorm
12-16-2018, 03:53 AM
DAY 15: 215 words

Layla: Good for you for taking it easy.
Kay: Sorry.
The Second Moon: Good job.

WGough
12-16-2018, 04:12 AM
Day 15
Loaded Book I into the Kindle. Reading it in that format is weird. Did some Christmas shopping. Cleaned off my desk and thought about a revision plan for Book II. Gonna try the three-pass approach. First pass for plot, second pass for character development, third pass for world building. Printed Book II. Read through one chapter and made notes. Failing at leaving sentence-level issues until the bigger problems are fixed.

Keithy: Great word count.

Layla: Nice page and a half. Way to take care of yourself!

Blinkk: Your excitement is contagious! Great job.

Cindyt: Sounds like you're feeling better. Way to carry on!

Pterofan: Nice word count. Thanks for the bananas. You and your brother = me and my dad. The holidays are fun!

KayMitch: Poor pup! Hope he feels better soon.

The Second Moon: Awesome job!

starrystorm: Nice. Are you still editing?

Keithy
12-16-2018, 06:27 AM
Absolutely no progress at all today. Amazon are being a pain in the you-know-what about digital downloads, and I've wasted loads of time getting nowhere.

Apart from that, I've been trying to work out an Alien nursery rhyme. My wife came up with "Baa Baa purple sheep, have you any scales?"

I'm getting an inkling that this aspect of my story isn't going to be straightforward. It's got to be nursery-rhymeish but fit with an alien culture. And, err, rhyme.

Keep swimming :)

Cindyt
12-16-2018, 10:17 AM
Day 15

Draft - 833

Edit - 2 scenes

Research - kidnapping, torture, and death of DEA Agent Kiki Camarina and the drug lords responsible. Correct suffix for diminutive forms of Spanish names ending in an o, as in Cuervo
is Cuervito. I hope. :tongue

Finished the first scene of Chapter 4 of the crime novel. Maybe sixteen more chapters.

Pterofan
12-16-2018, 10:26 PM
Day 15 - another half page longhand, roughly 200 words.

I think I'll just kick back today and finish reading the library book so I can take it back tomorrow and get the sequel. Dropping in an unpaid plug for Leigh Bardugo's Six of Crows. I love caper stories and always wanted to write one, but my brain won't go in that direction. I might have to buy a copy of this so I can analyze it to see how she put it together.

Kay - hugs to puppy. :heart:

WGough
12-17-2018, 03:48 AM
Day 16
Book II, four chapters of revision notes. This round of revisions already feels better than Book I.

Keithy: Sounds like you're thinking. Thinking counts as progress. Good luck with the nursery-rhyme.

Cindyt: You're back! Awesome job, as usual.

Pterofan: Nice word count. I always mean to break down how specific structures work. And then don't.

Have a great week, folks.

The Second Moon
12-17-2018, 04:21 AM
Day 16: 452 words. :)

Layla Nahar
12-17-2018, 06:27 AM
Nice work starry :)

You can do it Kiethy - keep at it & let it come to you

Whew Cindy - sometimes research gets grim, dunnit?

Congrats on the 200 Ptero

Whew Gough - once more into the breach!

Congrats on the 960 and the 452 Moon :)

WIP 3/4 page
R/SC - earning service, groceries, cooking, got lunch packed for tomorrow - Spa Sunday w/ the manipedi & everything (well, no mani - but wot else? epsom soak, & skin polishing. Now I'm a very smooth lady)
$$ - indy project research & practice

starrystorm
12-17-2018, 07:09 AM
DAY 16: Another winter flareup. Nothing done. Could barely get out of bed. :e2beat:

WGough- Yes, I'm editing, but currently rewriting a large chunk of the chapter, so I count by words instead of pages since this is all new material.
Second Moon- :) I'm impressed.
Layla- Good job

Keithy
12-17-2018, 07:24 AM
More thinking today, shifting blocks of prose from previous versions into place and a little tinkering.

I'm homing in on that rhyme/lullaby.

April Swanson
12-17-2018, 12:35 PM
WGough: Wooo you’re done! Good grief you work fast. How long has that been for drafting and revision combined (for Book 1)? Can’t believe you’re already tackling Book 2! (Can you tell I’m super impressed?)

KayMitch: Hope that pooch feels better soon.

Woops, dropped off the radar for far longer than I intended! I’ve read through all your posts – sounds like everyone is killing it :) Unfortunately for me the festive season is taking its toll and engagement from now on will be patchy. Bleh. Trying to let myself enjoy Christmas but, to be brutally honest, I can't be doin' with it. Bah, humbug.

Day 13: Decent bit; 5 miles; Scrabble gorge

Day 14/15: Off; 9.5 miles; liver I am sorry

Day 16: Wee bit; 4.5 miles; shiny pens

Cindyt
12-17-2018, 01:10 PM
Day 16

Draft - 531

Edit - 3 scenes

WGough - I am better. What a Christmas gift to yourself!

Layla - writing about the drug culture isn't a stroll in the sun.

Taylor Harbin
12-17-2018, 05:54 PM
Edited a flash piece, cut from 1600 to 1300. Next up: finish the new story before my in-laws get here.

Pterofan
12-17-2018, 08:56 PM
Day 16 - another day, another 200 words or so. Nothing's really going toward any specific project. I think I'll just coast until the new year. Nobody really works between Christmas and New Year's anyway.

Blinkk
12-17-2018, 11:02 PM
I did write over the weekend, even if I wasn't able to post my stats. Didn't work on my WIP. I got 1,300 words done this weekend on another project.

Nobody really works between Christmas and New Year's anyway.
Depending on your profession :D I'm in entertainment. I love it, but we work on holidays a lot.

You guys are doing really well. Keep up the streak!

The Second Moon
12-18-2018, 12:21 AM
Day 17: 1,673 words! And I finished another short story for my collection (still need to edit it, though)

WGough
12-18-2018, 04:58 AM
Day 17
One chapter of revision notes. Scribbled on a plot bunny.

The Second Moon: Wow, that's amazing! :partyguy:

Layla: Hey, Smooth Lady! You had a mighty productive day. Congrats on the 3/4 pages.

starrystorm: Hope you feel better! Thanks for the explanation.

Keithy: Ah, the shift-tinker-think. Essential!

April: I second your Bah, Humbug! Don't let the bastard (Christmas) get you down!
Book I was drafted pretty quickly. I drafted books I and II in about six weeks? For Book I, I'd guess 1 month to draft, 3 months to edit? Still needs a final revision/polish for language. Book II is short 20K words, so more drafting will figure into this round of revisions when I go from paper to Scrivener. So far, I'm loving revising for plot and jotting down issues as I come across them. Feels less like reinventing the wheel. Take care of you!

Cindyt: Way to draft and edit. Is Miami Vice still working for you?

Taylor: Yikes. Flash is so hard! Nice work.

Pterofan: Coast away!

Blinkk: Nice word count. I admire folks who can work on more than one project at a time.

Layla Nahar
12-18-2018, 05:14 AM
Ach starry! I hope you feel better soon.

Ha ha - Kiethy, you'll be homing a new tune soon ;)

April! Good to see you - ongrats on the bits, and enjoy the off days ;)

Congrats on the 531 words, & the editing

WTG Taylor

Congrats on the 200 Ptero

Nice work, Blinkk

Moon! way to knock it out of the park!

Gough - I love bunnies

Day 17
WIP 3/4 page
R/SC - earning service, errands
$$ - indy research & practice

xenylic
12-18-2018, 06:48 AM
I got my 1.1k words today, which leaves me with three more days (hopefully) left!

Also, finished my second (and last) portfolio, which leaves two more finals before winter break! Just gotta keep at it a little longer!

Minus 3,259 words and counting!

Keithy
12-18-2018, 07:43 AM
Pterofan - I have planned to write every day apart from Christmas day and (perhaps) new years day. But that's just the plan.
Second moon, great going!
Layla, keep those pages coming.
Xenylic - oh I wish I was that close to finishing.

OK, I managed to grind out 382 words in two sessions. It's a new chapter, with Shana and one other character travelling and finding a merchant who's been beaten and robbed by bandits, and his stock has been ransacked.

Oh, and I have the nursery rhyme sorted out, I think. It's difficult to write something that's both familiar yet related to an alien culture.

Keep swimming!

Cindyt
12-18-2018, 09:52 AM
Day 17

Draft - 1503

Edit - 2 scenes

Research - Feeding times of Great White sharks. Medallions. Convents.

WGough - Miami Vice has served it’s purpose. Actually, the first episode of Narcos: Mexico on Netflix proved more valuable in tactics and strategies of penetration and raids.

Blinkk
12-18-2018, 11:21 AM
Unsure about this next scene. I'm hesitantly going forward, just experimenting with a few scenes and reactions and seeing what happens most naturally. I'm such a pantser. 800 words of trial and error. We'll see if I keep em.

@Gough don't let the plot bunnies get away from you. Scribble, scribble!

@Moon nice job on your story! Finishing feels so good!

@Keithy this alien rhyme sounds interesting. Let us know what you settle on once you've got it sorted out.

@xenylic nice job finishing those portfolios! That must feel great.

@Layla keep moving forward on all your goals. Steady work!

April Swanson
12-18-2018, 12:34 PM
Cindyt: Nice work! Also, I have to know: what are the preferred feeding times of Great Whites? Bloomin’ love sharks.

Taylor: Good luck finishing against the clock!

Pterofan: I always try to work in the festive period, but never do. 200 words is pretty good coasting :)

Blinkk: Woo, 2100 words is awesome! And trial and error sounds like an excellent way to create :)

SecondMoon: You’re killing it!

WGough: I managed to make some adjustments to my Christmas plans that make the whole thing more appealing (in other words, I bagged more time by myself). Thanks for sharing :) Four months is an amazing turnaround. I was so inspired by your progress yesterday that I put my bum in the chair and wrote some bloody words. So you’re reading through on paper just now, right? It’s been so long since I had a finished draft to play with that I’m sorely missing editing! (God, that’s sad …)

Layla: I honestly prefer the on days ;) Woohoo for 3/4 page!

You can do it, xenylic!

Keithy: Glad you’ve got the rhyme :) Those kind of details really add depth to a world.

Yesterday I was so sick of spinning my wheels I plopped my bum in the chair and wrote 4404 words. I am just so tired of this crappy block I’ve had for the last couple of years. I know it comes from a fear of the finished product, so I wrote out all the drafts I want to do from here until publication, and ended up with 11 distinct drafts. Seeing so much distance between this exploratory draft and the final published product helped put my fear back into its dark hole. I’m hoping this is me finally turning the boat around and getting back to my ‘proper’ writing process, instead of endlessly starting over and ultimately getting nowhere.

Day 17: Decent bit; 0.5 miles!; Ralph Breaks My Tearducts

starrystorm
12-18-2018, 10:16 PM
DAY 17: Actually got to edit today. It still wasn't much though.
And thank you, I'm feeling better.

Pterofan
12-18-2018, 11:00 PM
Day 17 - another 200 (more or less; this one might have been more) longhand

I've been writing random flash scenes, but I think I'm drifting back into actual project territory. I suspect the solution is to eat less junk food and ingest more fruits and veggies. Good luck with that this time of year.

Taylor Harbin
12-18-2018, 11:15 PM
I think my brain is done for the year. I tried to power through the draft of my new story to the end, but I just couldn’t make it. The whole thing feels very bloated and contrived. It’s lacking the sense of mystery and creepy anxiety that I wanted to instill. I think I have squeezed myself too hard, between submitting rejected stories to other markets and trying to edit draft on the side. I just can’t keep this up...

The Second Moon
12-19-2018, 03:31 AM
Day 18: 1,332 words.

Wow. I usually can't do 1K more than one day in a row, but I did. Maybe that's because yesterday was the end of a story and today was the start of a new one.

WGough
12-19-2018, 05:26 AM
Day 18
Revision notes on three chapters.

Layla: Awesome 3/4 page.

xenylic: Outstanding! Nearly there.

Keithy: Nice progress.

Cindyt : Your research sounds ominous. :tongue

Blinkk: Love your process. I should definitely experiment more.

April: Wow. 4400 words. You are amazing. And kind. Yes, I'm reading through on paper right now. Yellow paper. I stole a color coded system from somebody. Tomi Adeyemi, I think. Read through, make plot notes on yellow post-its, character notes on pink post-its, setting/world building notes on green post-its. I mark all the typos and language issues and terrible, horrifying, cringe-worthy sentences in blue proofing pencil. Makes me feel all professional and shit. I think I'll have a better revision plan when I go to revise in Scrivener.

I'm so excited for your new piece. Fear of finishing kills me, as you all well know from my many public declarations and whining. Remember what Chuck says: Your first draft doesn't need your faith! Leave that to the writers here who have faith in your work!

starrystorm: Way to edit! Glad you're feeling better.

Pterofan: Walking outside helps, I find. If the weather isn't frost-bitey up there. Nice word count. Sounds like working those random scenes is getting you where you need to be. Congrats!

Taylor: Take that much deserved break. Come back with a full tank.

The Second Moon: Building up that writing stamina. Stupendous!

Layla Nahar
12-19-2018, 05:55 AM
Almost there, Xen!

Keithy - congrats on those 382 words!

Cindy, looks like you're getting back in form :)

Blinkk - congrats on the 800 & enjoy that sperimenting :D

April - can I borrow that chair?

starry, glad to hear you're feeling better & getting a bit of work done.

Ptero - good to hear things are solidifying a bit. (my ingestion habits need a course correction…)

Nice work Gough

Dec 18
WIP - another day out of routine - 1 1/4 page :D
R/SC - earning service, accounting & chores
$$ - took a skip day

Keithy
12-19-2018, 05:58 AM
April, that is incredible. I doff my hat at your 4404 words and the hard work it represents.
Pterofan - 200 is 200 more than zero! And I've had plenty of zeros.
Second moon - finding a good place to stop is hard, I know well.

I wrote 1573 words today. I am fairly certain that's the highest total I've ever written in a day. I just sat and wrote a funny scene and could not stop. Shana and her friend met a merchant with a cart who was robbed by some vagabonds, and they stopped to help then accompanied him along the way. The merchant is one of those terribly verbose bores who have no idea how boring they are. Shana spent the time trying not to laugh at her friend's attempts to shut him up. At one point she barely stifles a giggle, and her friend tells the merchant it's just the cart creaking.

Time for bed, I think.

Keep swimming swimming swimming.

Cindyt
12-19-2018, 08:16 AM
Day 18

Draft - 601

Edit - 4 scenes

Polished - The historical’s table of contents, 1 scene, part pages, and epigraphs.

April - Great Whites hunt at dawn, dusk, and at night. 4404 words! Wowser!

WGough - My middle name is Ominous. I use only a snippet of the research I do. WTG on 3 chapters!

Layla - Congrats on the 1¼ pages.

Finished up the first draft of Chapter 4, which included a sex scene--nothing explicit, but sexy all the same. Bit into Chapter 5.

xenylic
12-19-2018, 08:31 AM
Today I got 1.2k words down on the page. It started poorly with me procrastinating, but thankfully I managed to pull myself out of the slump.

I also finished the last of my work for the semester. Now all that’s left is to present tomorrow night. To be honest, not as happy as I had hoped. Had a bit of an argument with my mom over some work boundaries, since this class is an absolute shitfest from top to bottom, and just frustrated that she’s giving me so much reproval over it.

Hopefully, all will work out well tomorrow, and I can actually feel like a person again once this nightmare is over with.

Minus 2,052 words and counting.

Blinkk
12-19-2018, 11:36 AM
You guys are killing the word count today. Wow, I'm impressed.
I went backwards. I cut those 800 words. No good. I tried the scene again from a different angle and got 700 words out this time. Kings are difficult to write. His character is lacking and I'm struggling to identify why.

@Moon You're on a streak! That's awesome!

@Keithy I like humor scenes. They're sometimes tough to write, but you seem to be doing a great job with it.

@Cindy editing 4 scenes is a lot. Nice work there!

@Xenylic very nice word count you got there. It's also a nice feeling to get all your homework donzies. :D Here's to hoping that things smooth over for you.

April Swanson
12-19-2018, 01:09 PM
starrystorm: Glad to hear it :)

Pterofan: Ugh, why can’t junk food make us feel awesome, eh? Tastes so good.

Taylor: Take a break! Enjoy the holidays. You’ll come back all the stronger in the new year.

SecondMoon: Yay! I can see those writing muscles getting stronger :)

WGough: Thank you :) That revision method sounds similar to the one Susan Dennard put up on her site. I’m defo gonna try that when I FINALLY get to the editing stage. I’m all for using lots of stationery to make us feel fancy and more prepared. Well done for post-iting three chaps :) On a side note, have you read Children of Blood and Bone?

Layla: Take it, please, it kills my back ;) Looks like switching up the routine got your juices flowing!

Thank you, Keithy! Lots of hard work also went into writing 1573, so take a bow. Getting so many words down did remind me how hard it is to actually focus and write, and how much I’ve been slacking of late. This gig is tough. Oh, I know your merchant sort. I hope Shana gets away quick :)

Cindyt: Solid three-meal a day types then? Cool. I eat like a Great White :) Awesome job drafting and editing. I am always amazed at how you can switch gears in one day.

xenylic: Sorry you’re still having issues with class. Well done though for still writing on top of that! You’re incredibly dedicated.

Blinkk: OH MY GOD I’m writing about a king and I’ve been hacking at this book for 18 months! I feel you.

Eeeep! By some miracle I managed to bash out 4611 yesterday. I mean, all of it will go during revision, but dammit, it’s on the page. I went back to my old trick of sketching out a chapter while on a walk, using my dictaphone. I always seem to write more in a 30 min sprint if I’ve spent a wee bit of time mapping out the next thousand words or so. Oh, and I bought a load of yankee candles on sale so I can have a nice aroma around my desk :)

Day 18: Decent bit; 6 miles; popcorn dinner

Taylor Harbin
12-19-2018, 03:29 PM
I hope so, April.

starrystorm
12-19-2018, 05:09 PM
DAY 19: Didn't have much time to write, but I squeezed in as much as I could during that time frame. 101 new words to the chapter.

Pterofan
12-19-2018, 10:19 PM
Day 18 - 335 words. Still flash, but typed flash, so I have an accurate word count.

I'm with Taylor. I think my brain's gone on holiday hiatus and nothing of significance is going to get done until after Christmas. Maybe I should write holiday flash scenes until it's over? :D

Keithy - love that description of your scene.

The Second Moon
12-20-2018, 02:01 AM
Day 19: 303 words.

Not that great of a number but I'm keeping my streak at least.

Layla Nahar
12-20-2018, 05:29 AM
dayyum Kiethy!! What are they putting in the North Atlantic these days - you & April - talk about swimming! Keep at it!

Nice work Cindy

Xen you got this!

Arghhh! Blinkk. Those times of - does this work? does that? are so trying… keep at it!

See my above comment to Kiethy, April ;) & Conwickedgrats!!

Congrats on that 101 starry

Congrats on the 335, Ptero

Nice work, Moon

Day 16
Another day out of order from waaay sleeping in

WIP - 1 1/4 page
R/SC - earning service
$$ - a bit of troubleshooting my audio gear, some indy project practice

WGough
12-20-2018, 05:38 AM
Day 19

Layla: Wow, nice job on that 1 1/4 page.

Keithy: Amazing word count. Great scene!

Cindy Ominous t: Congrats on finishing Chapter 4! And all the everything else you manage to get done in a day!

xenylic: Nice word count. Break is coming!

Blinkk: Loving your method. I'm guessing you edit as you draft? Definitely going to give that a go after I'm done wrestling the saga.

April: Another amazing day for you. Children of Blood and Bone is on my gargantuan TBR. Do you recommend?

starrystorm: Way to make time.

Pterofan: Holiday flash sounds like the way to go! Congrats for finding a way to keep at it.

The Second Moon: Way to streak!

Just two more days, then no more day job for two weeks.

Keithy
12-20-2018, 05:47 AM
Ah, Blinkk, don't feel bad, minus words are in a real sense words. They represent progress, they mean that you are working on the project and making it better. Oh, and if you want advice about kings, read up bios about a few kings and pick one you like. I've done a mad emperor, a warmongering king, a kindly but sex-crazed queen...

April, sending deep obeisances to you for your 4611

StarryStorm - a round of applause for a century!

As for me, I wrote 1174 words today. Earlier today I was thinking that I am either like a galleon under full sail or like a wagon with all its wheels broken. So right now I'm sailing along!

Shana is in a tavern where someone tries to "get friendly" with her. She twists his finger and threatens to tear his arm off, and that convinces him to leave her be. After that, a rather shady merchant tries to sell her and her companion a certain artefact... which happens to be a broken piece of her people's technology. It also happens to have writing on that matches that in a certain book that her companion is looking for. Oh, and she doesn't like mashed vegetables.

Juuust keeep swimmming!

starrystorm
12-20-2018, 06:54 AM
Day 19 (What? That can't be right!) Edited/rewrote 238 words. This chapter has take weeks to edit. But I suppose it's just going to be one of those chapters.

@ Layla I had the same problem yesterday. Woke up hours after I usually do, missing my writing time. My procrastination has gotten to a whole new level.
@ WGough-- Ooh, revision notes. That sounds fun.
@ Keithy- Thanks. You post made me smile.

Blinkk
12-20-2018, 08:25 AM
@April omg that's an insane amount of words! Very nice job! Wow, I was also going to say you deserve a reward but you already bought the candles so what more do you need?

@Starrystorm nice self discipline. I'm trying to be as focused as you. Right now when I have busy days I don't get to writing. Keep up that habit, that's good.

@Moon, that's okay. Sometimes it's not about the actual number. The fact that you're writing every day is progress.

@Layla those things that feel good sometimes put us so behind x.x I also know the frustration in troubleshooting audio gear. Hope you got all your problems resolved.

@Wgough I'm one of those pantsers. I don't really know how are things are going to go. I know that during this scene the king will give the MC a new set of duties, but aside from that one detail I let the characters write the scene for me. How will the MC react? I actually don't know till I write it down. Because I'm such a pantser, I don't always get it right on the first try. This scene in particular is giving me problems. If you have a method that works for you, stick with it! My method is both chaotic, and trial & error based. Don't know that I'd recommend it to many people, but if it works for you great. If not, that's okay too. :D

@Keithy I want to read your kindhearted, sex crazy queen. Not for research or anything, I just think that'd be a fantastic character to read about.

I got home from work late. I don't have an update on word count yet, but I'll be back in a bit to let you know what happened. Damn...this scene. Grar.

PS - Just because so many of you gave me feedback and encouragement on writing kings, I started this thread (https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?340029-Why-is-royalty-so-difficult-to-write).

Cindyt
12-20-2018, 08:34 AM
Day 19

Draft - 882

Polished - 3 scenes

Blinkk - But you still wrote those 800 and had something to edit.

WGough - I used to make revision notes, but they tended to gather dust, so I just put a stop to it.

Layla - WTG on another 1¼ pages.

April Swanson
12-20-2018, 01:26 PM
starrystorm: Well done for getting words in even though time was tight.

Pterofan: I think you should do whatever your brain desires!

SecondMoon: Not every day is gonna be amazing, but 303 is still a great number and like you said, your streak is safe :)

Layla: 1 1/4 page after sleeping in?! Impressive. Most impressive.

WGough: I haven’t actually read it yet. I’ve been burned by so many big YA fantasy titles that I was a little reluctant … if you do read let me know if it lives up to the hype!

Keithy: All I want for Christmas is deep obeisances ;) Wooft, the wind is certainly powering your sails right now! I’m with Shana re mashed vegetables (except tatties of course).

Blinkk: Maybe wine? Well, I bought some anyway ;) Thanks for starting that thread!

Cindyt: Nice work!

I managed 3052 yesterday. Definitely a lot tougher. My writing muscles are seriously out of shape and I also had an event in the evening which distracted me most of the afternoon. I’ll probably aim for a similar count today, then go into maintenance mode over Christmas. Maybe 3-500 a day … I don’t want to lose momentum because it’s so bloomin’ hard to get it back.

Day 19: Decent bit; 7 miles; mince pie extravaganza

Pterofan
12-20-2018, 10:44 PM
Day 19 - I think it was 100. It was longhand and I forgot to count. It would have been more but Ant-Man was on again last night. I have the same problem with Deadpool. I should just cut cable, then I'd have more money and more time to read, I mean write.

xenylic
12-20-2018, 11:06 PM
I'VE DONE IT! Clocking out at 140,131 total words in 2018, I'm done writing for the year!

I finished it all off today with 1,500 words!! Huzzah!

Oh my god, I had so many doubts through every day that I would even come close to the mark, but you guys and your constant support have helped me do something I thought was impossible!

I'm so damn happy!

Cindyt
12-20-2018, 11:44 PM
Day 19 - I think it was 100. It was longhand and I forgot to count. It would have been more but Ant-Man was on again last night. I have the same problem with Deadpool. I should just cut cable, then I'd have more money and more time to read, I mean write.:roll:

The Second Moon
12-21-2018, 02:05 AM
Day 20: 340 words. Still keeping my streak.

WGough
12-21-2018, 05:16 AM
Day 20

Keithy: Wow you are killing it. Love the description.

Blinkk: Hello, fellow pantser. I have so much to redraft, I'm wondering if I should try revising as I go instead of waiting until the draft is done. Still figuring it all out.

Cindyt: Way to draft and polish!

April: 3052 is outstanding! Same on big YA Fantasy.

Pterofan: It's the season for distraction!

xenylic: Big congrats! :partyguy:

The Second Moon: Way to keep at it.

Keep sailing, everybody!

Layla Nahar
12-21-2018, 05:20 AM
Keithy you sure are under full sail - keep at it!

I know starry. & now it's 20th… Hope you slept good & congrats on the 238

Blinkk - hope you got some good flow

Nice work Cindy

April - I could totally understand how after 4K days 3K make you go whuu?? But 3K is great!!

Ptero - congrats on the 100 (I have no idea how many words my pages are. I can barely read them anyway.)

W000000wiiiiiii Xen - congrats on making that goal!!

Nice work Moon

Nice work Gough - that's six chapter treated now, right? & no day job for 2 weeks sounds soo nice

Day 20

WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - earning service; Girl Scout cookies
$$ - more audio troubleshooting, very wee bit of indy project practice

Keithy
12-21-2018, 07:36 AM
Xenylic - more hat doffing to you for finishing. That would make me happy too.
Pterofan - my indulgence is re-watching Stargate at the moment.
2ndmoon - keep streaking away (in a good way!)

OK I only did 350 words today, mainly because I was finishing a chapter. Shana and Mac aren't able to do a deal with the merchant because he's asking too much. But they decide to follow him because he's got another interested buyer. Perhaps if that falls through they might try again.

After that, I ran through some "what happens in the next chapter" options. There will be some disagreement as to whether to take the artifact from the seller, but before that is resolved, they will see the seller trying to cut a deal with the other buyer. The result will be violent, and link up with the chapter after that. I also worked out another name: the organisation that Shana's new friends work for. It's called "The Wardens of Silence." I really feel like I am getting somewhere.

keep swimming... or sailing :)

Cindyt
12-21-2018, 01:44 PM
Day 20

Draft - 451

Polished - 1 chapter

WGough - WTG on 3 chapters!

Layla - Congrats on ½ page!

Pterofan
12-21-2018, 11:22 PM
Day 20 - 1246 words (typed, so I know it's accurate)

This is the first time all month I've hit 1000 words. I got typing some weird fairy-tale-ish fantasy story and it just kept going and going. It may die on me or it may turn into something. I'll find out over the weekend.

It also swerved into M/M romance territory. (The one guy looks like Chris Hemsworth, so you really can't blame the other guy.) The series that stalled on me is M/F, so maybe that's why I can't work on it. All those girl cooties. :tongue

WAY TO GO, XENYLIC! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::ban ana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banan a::banana:

April Swanson
12-22-2018, 01:14 AM
Pterofan: Enjoy the 1k club!

xenylic: :partyguy:

SecondMoon: Woo, you’re doing great!

WGough: Yay for three chaps! Re pantsing/redrafting … all I’ll say is my writer’s block started to brew around the time I started revising as I went along. I haven’t finished a manuscript since.

Layla: Yeah, I know, it’s so easy to change the goalposts after some big days! Yay for 1/2 page and coooookies! :e2cookie:

Keithy: My word count always dips when I come to the next chapter. 350 is still awesome though. So glad you’re feeling good about the story :)

Cindyt: Nice work :)

Ha, my muscles are tiring! 2212 yesterday and 1727 today. Unfortunately I’ve got NO CLUE what comes next in the story. Maybe if I doodle long enough in my notebook the answer will come to me.

Day 20: Decent bit; 1 mile; midnight munch
Day 21: Decent bit; 2.5 miles; hello shorter nights!

WGough
12-22-2018, 04:31 AM
Day 21
Revision notes on one chapter. A little over halfway through Book II. Took my eleven-year-old nephew downtown to take pictures of all the Christmas. Excuse me, photographs. I was corrected many times.

Layla: Steady on! Girl Scout Cookies are essential to the writer's tool box.

Keithy: Yay, intrigue!

Cindyt: Nice draft and polish!

Pterofan: Wow, that is so...wow!

April: Two more amazing days for you. Doodle away! And thanks for the advice. I have that fear.

Sixteen days off, folks. Yuletide Greetings & Happy Winter Solstice!

Layla Nahar
12-22-2018, 05:02 AM
Keithy - 350 is great - keep sailing!

Congrats on those sluice gates opening Ptero

April - I know it's stepping down, but 2K and & a high 1K is really great :)

Gough - halfway over book II. Talk about WTG!

Day 21 - Happy Solstice,everybody :)

sleep frustration. up an hour late today. grrr

WIP - 2 pages (out of routine)
R/SC - earning service, chores
$$ - skip day

Layla Nahar
12-22-2018, 05:19 AM
How did I miss Cindyt?
Nice work, C :)
(I like 'polishing')

Keithy
12-22-2018, 06:45 AM
Pterofan - I agree with April
April - Let it flow. It's like the force.
Layla - thumbs up for the 2 pages

I did 418 words today. Shana and her friend witness the dealings between two shady fellows. Then Shana asks (rather innocently) whether her friend wants to kill one of them. Hmm, perhaps both.

Swim swim swim... use the force... keep on sailing :)

Cindyt
12-22-2018, 04:11 PM
Day 21

Draft - 190

Polished - 2 chapters. 2 scenes

Research - Notorious females in 18th century England. Spy novel plots. A single site offered four+ possible plot types and examples of books for each form. I’m in luv. Downtown Miami real estate.

Petro - WTG on 1246!

April - Streak!

Keithy - WTG on the word count. The snippet really sounds interesting!

WGough - Good progress on your WIP!

Layla - I like polishing more than drafting. WTG on 2 pages!

I watced two movies between sleeping today. The main plot has been triggered, and I’m stuck on how to engage it. I know what’s going to happen, but I can’t make up my mind how I’m going to drive it. Getting over that hump is my Christmas goal.--part of it just hit me! Yes!

The Second Moon
12-22-2018, 05:01 PM
Day 21: 520 words. Keeping my streak so I'm happy. But, I forgot that December had 31 days! That means ten more days I'll have to keep my streak. *Crosses fingers* Here's hoping I can do it.

starrystorm
12-22-2018, 06:45 PM
Didn't write the last two days due to a headache and swollen knees. But today, the 22nd, I'm writing!

Pterofan
12-22-2018, 10:37 PM
Day 21 - about 3/4 page longhand, so I'm guessing at around 300 words.

I may check in tomorrow, but I'll probably be offline Monday and Tuesday because the library is closed. Unless I go to the truck stop, which has free WiFi and stays open through everything, even Christmas. Maybe Santa will leave some motivation under my tree. Enjoy the holidays!

The Second Moon
12-23-2018, 02:44 AM
Day 22: 340 words still keeping my streak.

WGough
12-23-2018, 04:55 AM
Day 22

Layla: Out of routine seems to work for you. At least on the writing front. WTG.

Keithy: Nice word count. Loving Shana more and more.

Cindyt: Wow, you're starting a new WIP? Hooray for the beginning epiphany smack!

The Second Moon: You can totally do it!

starrystorm: Glad you're feeling better. Welcome back!

Pterofan: Writing at the truck stop on Christmas Eve. Might have to steal that.

Was hoping to get more done today, but accidentally took a four-hour nap. Should have Book II revisions on paper finished tomorrow. Have a great holiday, folks!

starrystorm
12-23-2018, 05:00 AM
DAY 22- edited 36 pages! That includes writing new scenes and editing old stuff. :hooray::hooray:

Second Moon- Awesome. Keep it up.
WGough- Good job on the revision notes.

ETA after doing the math.

That's around 9,900 words.

Keithy
12-23-2018, 06:53 AM
I didn't actually write anything today, but I scribbled down some fight planning. Or to put it another way, I know what the result should be. It just depends how many people are around at the start and what state they should be in at the end. Too many or too few enemies will strain credibility either way; further thinking required.

Saturday is always my least productive day. My average word count is 32. Sundays are better but this one isn't looking good. Seeing family all day, I think. Mondays are usually better, but then that's Christmas Eve. Oh.

Swimmy swimmy swim swim

Cindyt
12-23-2018, 08:57 AM
Day 22

Draft - 1145

Polished - 3 chapters

Research - Stone retaining walls. :tongue

WGough - No. It’s not new.

DEADco Undercover Agent Billy Star is set to begin Operation Spook the Ghost.

One of my biggest problems in writing this first draft is thinking it’s got to be perfect. I know better. Doesn’t matter if it works or not as long as I get it done and have something to edit. That’s how I wrote the historical. Duh.

April Swanson
12-23-2018, 04:45 PM
WGough: Oh, I say pictures too! Good luck finishing those revisions.

Layla: Two pages! Woohoo! Seriously, you seem to thrive when your routine is thrown :)

Keithy: Some writing days involve no actual writing, and that's cool. I sometimes ask myself which power I’d rather have: the Force or the magic from Harry Potter. Genuinely can’t decide.

Cindyt: I dread to think what would make a female notorious in 18th C England. Voicing an independent thought, perhaps? Nice work drafting and polishing and figuring stuff out :) I’ve got the same problem re perfectionism. Used to be able to punch out a draft without worrying but somewhere along the road I psyched myself out … Why do our brains do this to us?

SecondMoon: You can do it!

starrystorm: Glad you’re feeling better and getting those words down.

Pterofan: Nice work. Enjoy the festivities :)

I’m on official Christmas Maintenance Mode. Wrote 500 odd words today and yesterday. This will be my daily target all the way through to Jan 2nd. Oh, and I can feel my husband’s lurgy brewing at the back of my throat, so that’ll add a new challenge to keeping the streak.
Anyway, this time last week I had zero words, and now I have just over 17k :)

Day 22: Wee bit; 4 miles; mince pie monster
Day 23: Wee bit; 0 miles (!); unggghhh

Pterofan
12-24-2018, 12:01 AM
Day 22 - 872 words, longhand. I couldn't believe my own estimate, so I had to count them. Whoa.

Looks like I'll be off-line until Wednesday, unless I hit the truck stop or Dunkin Donuts or somewhere. I recall one Thanksgiving I was at the truck stop and two people dressed as elves (yes, with capes and pointed ears) came in. It took me a minute to remember Philcon usually happens over Thanksgiving weekend. (I live a little over an hour's drive from Philadelphia, if I take the turnpike.) Writing in a truck stop on Christmas Eve? Hell yeah! Inspiration just walks in, even if you're writing fantasy.

April - for my power I want self-morphing, like the T-1000 in Terminator 2. No more big belly, bulgy thighs or saggy boobs! And use the liquid metal look for Halloween. Or rock concerts.

I probably won't write later because I think Deadpool is on. Hey, jolly guy in a red suit. It counts as a Christmas movie.

Enjoy the holidays, everybody!

WGough
12-24-2018, 04:48 AM
Day 23
Finished Book II revision notes. Attempted a reverse outline, failed. Sketched a new chapter.

starrystorm: Holy mother, that's amazing! :partyguy: Inspired to get my butt in gear.

Keithy: Planning a fight scene is smart. I tend to stare at the cursor, research for hours, write ten words, delete, avoid writing the fight scene.

Cindyt: Another stellar day. Nice word count. Grrr! Slay that perfection troll!

April Swanson: 17K words in a week is outstanding! More inspiration for me.

Pterofan: You got them words, gal! Have a good holiday.

Layla Nahar
12-24-2018, 05:16 AM
Congrats on the 418 Keithy

Nice work Cindy. (I recently did some research on 18th century gambling houses in England)

Crossing my fingers too Moon :)

oh my goodness starry - I hope you feel better soon

Have a nice holiday, Ptero

----

Glad to hear you're keeping at it Moon

Nice work, Gough.

Holy moly starry - wtg editing 36 pages!!

You showed up for Shana, right K ;)

More nice work Cindy!

Congrats on the 500 April (& 17K!!!!!)

Ptero - writing in a truck stop on Christmas Eve - beautiful!

- - - - -

Day 22

WIP - took a skip day
R/SC - got back to the tidying project
$$ - got an XLR cable

Day 22

WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - earning service
$$ - some testing of my audio setup (still lower than I think it should be - grrr)

Blinkk
12-24-2018, 07:10 AM
Hey guys! I know I haven't been posting much. I have been writing every day, even if I haven't come here to update you. I'll have to check back in once the fambam leaves. It's been hectic. Who was it that said they wake up early just so they can write? I took your advice. It's awesome.

Keep trucking, you guys are doing great work.

Keithy
12-24-2018, 08:30 AM
Been busy today with visiting family for dinner and a game of scrabble (I lost - I had terrible letters). After that is was home for a bit of alcohol and some chocolate.

CindyT & Blinkk - keep on truckin :)
April - I've been doing a lot of medieval research of late. Castles, swords etc. Social things like food, drink and what towns are like (smelly). And crime and punishment.
Regards to your hubby. Christmas is a terrible time to be ill.

OK I did 234 words today. I've more or less got the setup right for the fight scene. There's a couple of merchants who aren't on good terms with each other, one of which brought along someone called Qara, who is a female assassin-cum-killing machine wielding fifteen swords at once. Against that there's Mac, who is human and a decent swordsman, and Shana, who looks like a skinny human girl of 13 and is pretty poor with a sword. But Shana's "not from around here"; she is considerably stronger than she looks and has some other interesting capabilities, not limited to seeing in the dark and regrowing lost limbs. So this is going to be fun.

Sailing along... keep on sailing/swimming/flying.

Cindyt
12-24-2018, 09:31 AM
Day 23

Draft - 1098

Polished - 4 chapters. The next Voice article My Heart Will Go On.

Research - Unique water breaks. Cases in which a murderer joins the search for his victim. Chalk quarries.

Published - The Voice published my feature article Suddenly There was Barbara. Barbara’s family cried.

April - Ran across several female versions of Black Beard. Women of independent thought and actions were committed to asylums for unstable women, which almost happens to my girl.

WGough - The troll is in a hole. For now. WTG on finished revision notes. You’ll get there on the rest of the project.

Layla - My villain is a dice man, so I too have done a bit of research into 18th century gambling houses and street craps.

Keithy - The 18th century was stinky too. Lol. One of my characters takes a sponge bath once per month--if she needs it. My nose cringes at thoughts of 5th Century hygiene. Ew. I hate writing fight scenes. Good luck.

I’m back in the plot groove.

April Swanson
12-24-2018, 10:33 AM
Pterofan: Oh, I hadn’t thought of that one. You’d have a lovely, even complexion too :tongue.

WGough: Hurrah for finishing revision notes! Ha, well you inspired me to get my bum in gear, so … ;)

Layla: Happy half page!

Keithy: Scrabble, booze, chocolate. You’ve just described my ideal day. Good luck with the fight scene.

Been up since 3am (it’s now 6.30) so I’ve completed my 500 words nice and early! I really am waffling my way through this chapter, but refusing to worry about it. All the magic will come during revisions. Yes … yes it will.

Anyhoo, this is my last check in before Santa comes. To all who celebrate: have a jolly Christmas :)

Day 24: Wee bit; ? miles; 4am Jean-luc

The Second Moon
12-24-2018, 04:23 PM
Day 23: 223. I think I'm slowing down, but at least I'm still keeping my streak.

starrystorm
12-24-2018, 06:01 PM
Ah, lupus got to me yesterday. I managed to edit a page from yesterday and write 20 words. Sigh.

Pterofan
12-24-2018, 10:42 PM
Day 23 - 141 words

Coming to you live from the truck stop! Not writing, but amusing myself watching the traffic at the WalMart across the street. Oddly, while the parking lot is packed, traffic on the road itself isn't too bad. I only went out because I want to make sure I have enough chocolate in the house to get me through Christmas. I'm okay with other supplies.

WGough - your description of how you write a fight scene is exactly how I write a love scene. Type three words, stare at the screen, swear, delete, shut down the laptop and go read a book. I have no trouble writing fight scenes. Maybe I should just write a fight scene and then go back and substitute "c*ck" for "gun" or "sword." There are some romance tropes where that might actually work.

Happy (insert your favorite holiday here)!

The Second Moon
12-25-2018, 01:24 AM
Day 24: 235 words.

Layla Nahar
12-25-2018, 02:33 AM
Hey Blinkk - good to see you & glad to hear the words are coming:) (I wonder if it was me - I get up really early, and I make writing part of my waking-up routine. On days when I have somewhere to be in the morning, often it's only just 10 minutes I can grab, but sometimes I can get 1 page (handwritten, 8.5X11). Many days it's just 1/4 page - but for me this makes writing like brushing my teeth - a self-care thing I do on autopilot. fwiw)

Ha ha! Sounds great Keithy - & congrats on the 234

Awesome quadrifecta ;) for day 23 Cindy!

Congrats on the 500 April

WTG Moon with the 223

Hey starry - congrats on that 20 and on beating the blank page, & on the editing

Ptero - truck stop & walmart - like, writer's heaven, I think. (Are you Wal-creature spotting?)

Nice work, Moon

Day 24

Heute kommt der Kris Kind :D

WIP - 1/4 page
R/SC - tidying
$$ - set up mike stand & did more testing etc w/ audio gear

Keithy
12-25-2018, 05:06 AM
Pterofan - that gives a whole new meaning to "cockfighting". 141 is good.
Second moon - 235 is good too.

In terms of actual writing, I squeezed out 200 words. I wanted to stop on a round figure and zero wasn't enough. I've written the initial exchanges between Shana and her opponent; I've also had to research a few basic sword stances (imagine that, realism!) I also spent time quantifying Shana's healing powers. She heals 3000 times faster than humans, meaning that she can regrow a finger in 6 minutes (that must be creepy to watch.)
Alas, that clarity means I must drop or severely alter a later scene where she gets more seriously injured. Don't worry, she'll soon be fighting far worse things than men with swords; her abilities will be sorely tested. And whatever you do, don't call her a boy.

I'm off to find something alcoholic.

Merry Christmas and keep swimming :)

WGough
12-25-2018, 06:14 AM
Day 24
Revised one chapter. This revising for plot only pass is already testing my resolve. I'll just tweak that one sentence, passage, paragraph...argh! Did the Christmas Eve thing with the fam. My nephew performed the Cruella de Vil song. This proud auntie has crowned him the most fabulous eleven-year-old ever!

Layla: WTG on the 1/2 page and 1/4 page. Love the writing as brushing teeth.

Blinkk: Hope things calm down for you soon! Way to keep at it.

Keithy: Way to sail! And Qara sounds badass. Research-wise, the AW Fantasy board is chock-full. And I highly recommend Ian Mortimer's The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century. Also Ewart Oakeshott's A Knight and His... series. Readable, short, and to the point.

Cindyt: Outstanding work! Cindy got her (plot) groove back.

April Swanson: I, too, am hoping for magic revisions. Way to meet your goal! And a holly jolly to you and Jean-Luc.

The Second Moon: Ebbs and flows will get you to shore. Nice work!

starrystorm: Way to work through it. Hope you feel better soon.

Pterofan: Ah, love your writing space. And I'm stealing that fight/love scene thing. Brandish, wield, thrust & parry, fisticuffs, yeah, that works.

Cindyt
12-25-2018, 09:24 AM
Day 24

Draft - 85 which were new words added during editing and polishing process

Edit - A prologue

Polished - 1 chapter. Voice article

Research - Do undercover cops use drugs during a deal? Absolutely not, unless their life hangs in the balance. Otherwise, when offered a hit of the deal weight, they go "I'm in it for the money, not the high." To my delight, I knew this already, but it pays to make sure. And I learned a new phrase "deal weight," which is the amount before the final meet goes down.

Interview: A businessman for the Voice article

WGough - WTG for doing something on Christmas Eve. Good luck!

Layla - WTG on page count!

What can I say? I slept today. Sissy and I had Micky D for Christmas Eve dinner. We celebrate just on Christmas day now. She will fix Christmas breakfast later today, and this afternoon, my niece will host the dinner proper and gift unwrapping at her house.

¡Feliz Navidad a todos!

Layla Nahar
12-26-2018, 02:24 AM
Keithy, congrats on the 200!

Gough - keep at it!
(ps - & thx from me too for the book recs)

Nice work Cindy

--------

For little ol heathen me, day 25:

WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - tidying papers… lots of papers. whew. That felt good.
$$ - experimented a bit more w/ recording;wee bit of work on the indy project

The Second Moon
12-26-2018, 02:55 AM
DAY 25: 131 words. I didn't expect to get much done, since it's Christmas.

Blinkk
12-26-2018, 08:23 AM
Between today and yesterday 1200 words. Sorry I haven't been posting much! Our company left today. :D

@Cindy, that research sounds really fascinating.

Cindyt
12-26-2018, 09:16 AM
Day 25

Layla - Thanks! You did a good job yourself

Blinkk - Love the research for this crime novel. 1200 words--Congrats!

I took today off which turned into a sick day. Ew.

April Swanson
12-26-2018, 02:46 PM
Festive drive- by ... hope you all had a lovely Christmas. I managed 510 yesterday and 576 today. Now I've run out of 'what happens next' so I'll need to think a bit about that later on. But first, I shall be spending my Boxing Day eating and drinking and watching family-fun films ;) This Christmas thing isn't as bad as I remembered ...

WGough
12-26-2018, 05:53 PM
Day 25
One chapter radical revision. Revised two chapters for plot.

Cindyt: I'm learning so much from your research. Hope you feel better soon.

Layla: Hey there heathen. WTG on that 1/2 page.

The Second Moon: Nice word count. Way to keep at it.

Blinkk: Congrats on working while hosting.

Pterofan
12-26-2018, 10:28 PM
And I'm back!

Day 24 - 325 words
Day 25 - 240 words Wrote on Christmas!
Day 26 - half a page longhand (so far) = about 200 words

Spent the holiday eating food that's bad for me and watching X-Men movies (for Xmas - get it?) I forgot Hugh Jackman flashed his bare tushie in Days of Future Past. Best Christmas ever. The man's got a nice asset. :e2brows:

Yes, I'm going to hell, thanks for asking.

The Second Moon
12-27-2018, 03:09 AM
Day 26: sigh... 79 words. Well at least I'm keeping my streak.

WGough
12-27-2018, 05:18 AM
Day 26
Drafted 2525 words. Revised five chapters.

April Swanson: Way to meet your goals.

Pterofan: You're back! Good job. Going to hell? Save me a seat.

The Second Moon: That's not nothing.

Please & Thank You.

Keithy
12-27-2018, 05:53 AM
Nothing on Christmas Day itself - presents, food, family, drink, Wizard of Oz, more food.
Today I did a bit of fiddling around with notes and outlined the middle of the fight scene mentioned above. It's an opponent swap. The end will be Shana being injured then using her main power to kill Qara.

I've been given a lot of alcohol this Christmas, so I'm drinking something I rarely drink: whiskey. Well it would be a shame to let it evaporate.

swim swim swimmy swim

Layla Nahar
12-27-2018, 06:51 AM
Congrats on the 131 Moon!

Nice work, Blinkk :)

Hope you feel better soon, Cindy

Congrats on your 510 and 576, April & happy Boxing Day

Oh Hey Gough - moving along nicely!

wooowiii - niice work Ptero ;)

Moon - big congrats on the 79. I've said it before - the days with those small word counts - those are the biggest victories. Showing up, beating the blank page - congrats.

Holy cow Gough - 2.5K new and five chapters revision. wow.

Hey Kiethy! (I have a gift bottle of Hennesee congac. It's been gathering dust.)

Day 26

so, I guess oversleeping is a thing for me now… I keep thinking I've snoozed for 30 minutes and then I find out its an hour…

WIP - ~ 2 pages (1 w/ lots of dialoge) out of routine, had some trouble BIC-ing…
$$ - wee bit of indy project work

Cindyt
12-27-2018, 09:07 AM
Day 26

Draft - 24

Polished - 1 scene

Layla - Congrats on the 2 pages.

I picked up a bug somewhere and was sick all Christmas Day and into the night and sick on Wednesday, also. I got better, but using my new laptop slowed me way down. I’ve got to get a mouse for it. Also, my two leads had words that I may delete.

Blinkk
12-27-2018, 10:03 AM
@Layla, it's funny how these tiny enjoyments can multiply. :D I just wish the good habits were so easy to breed. But you're still getting work done, so there's that. :D

@Keithy, appropriate gift for a fish!

@Cindy there's a bug going around where I live too. I hope it hasn't hit you too hard! Feel better.

I wrote 1300 words today, but like always, I'm pretty sure half of them are going in the garbage tomorrow. I do a lot of trial and error.

April Swanson
12-27-2018, 09:16 PM
Here, I thought I was being a right goodie two-shoes doing work over Christmas, but I see I’m not alone! ;)

WGough: You drafted 2.5k and revised five chapters on Boxing Day? Good grief, woman! I salute thee.

Pterofan: I LOVE Days of Future Past. I think it’s by far the best X-men film. And yeah, Hugh’s a peach :) Well done for maintaining your streak!

SecondMoon: You maintained your streak and it’s CHRISTMAS. You’re allowed to ease up ;)

Keithy: Alcohol and creativity have long been perfect partners. I wish I liked whisky more … it seems so sophisticated. (Also, apparently the spelling rule is: countries without an e in their name — like Scotland — spell it whisky. That might be true or it might be complete nonsense.)

Layla: I think you must have been needing some extra snooze. Woohoo for another 2 pages! The body is resting but the mind is whirring!

Cindyt: Awww so sorry to hear you were ill. Awesome job for still writing though!

Blinkk: 1.3k is amazing. Nothing wrong with trial and error. I’m slowly getting back into that mindset … it smashes Writer’s Block to smithereens.

Got 547 today. The book is morphing again in my head, but I’m cool with that. I fully expect this entire rough draft to be chucked in the bin during revisions. I really need to think more about my MC and exactly why she is the MC and not someone else …

Day 27: Wee bit; 2 miles; Divinity II mega-sesh

Pterofan
12-27-2018, 10:37 PM
Currently in drive-by mode for today. I'll try to fix that later on. Current project: find vacuum bags so I can clean up the house for New Year's.

WGough: Holy bleep! You wrote more in a day than I do in a week. You can sit next to me. :D

April - My favorite scene is still "Time in a Bottle." Best use of Quicksilver ever.

WGough
12-28-2018, 05:16 AM
Day 27
Drafted 2513 words. Revised six chapters.

Keithy: Nice progress. I envy your quandary. I've a bottle of bourbon that's been relegated to cooking ingredient. Travesty!

Layla: Another out of routine win for you. Congrats. I, too, struggle with the BIC.

Cindyt: Feel better. Also congrats/sorry about the new laptop. Isn't it always the way.

Blinkk: Way to trial and error! It took me near 30 years to embrace the value of failing. Reckon I'd be much happier and healthier had I learned that earlier in life.

April Swanson: Morph at it! Great attitude. In Texas, we call Boxing Day "The Day After Christmas Sale."

Pterofan: :Hug2: My house is a sty and I'm living on Christmas candy and Dr. Who. It's a glamorous life.

Keithy
12-28-2018, 05:19 AM
April, 547 is good but don't be so quick to dump previous versions, I have six+ of my current project and am recycling a lot.
Cindyt - sending get well soon thoughts.
Pterofan - that sucks :)

Today I managed 974 words. That's not bad considering it's Christmas week, but I've had to adjust down my target this week because I very much doubt I can reach it. It's my mother-in-law's anniversary and we are commemorating her on Saturday.

But I did finish the Stable fight scene, even though it is very rough. On to the temple chapter.

Swim swim swim

Layla Nahar
12-28-2018, 05:51 AM
Congrats on the polishing when you weren't feeling great, Cindy

Congrats on the 1300 Blinkk :)

April, it would be nice if I had got the extra snooze - but I'm waking at midinight & not sleeping again till 3 :( Congrats on the 547 -- & hope you get a hold of those morphing MCs

Ptero - that's a great scene. Happy Vacuuming, too ;)

wuuweee Gough - you are cruising along

Keithy, wtg on that 974!

Day 27

WIP - 1 page
$$ - very wee bit of indy project

Cindyt
12-28-2018, 07:49 AM
Day 27

Draft - 234

Edited - Voice article

Polished - 1 scene

Interview - Mother of dead child

Blinkk - Aw I’m better now. The most important thing is to have something to work with the next day.

April - nice word count!

WGough - This is my first laptop. I don’t like the pointer. I’m going to get a mouse soonest. Girl, you are swimming right along!

Keithy - Congrats on the word count and finishing that fight scene!

Layla - WTG on the 1 page!

The first woman has disappeared. Billy thinks the cartel is responsible. Little does he know.

The Second Moon
12-28-2018, 04:41 PM
Day 27: 196 words.

I truly think I'm slowing down. I guess that's because I've never written consecutively for twenty-seven days and I'm running out of steam. But, I'm not ready to give up. Even if I just write ten words a day, I'll still be happy because I'll still be keeping my streak. Cross your fingers for me that I'll have enough steam to make it to day thirty-one.

April Swanson
12-28-2018, 10:03 PM
Pterofan: Yeah that scene is epic. They tried to rehash it in Apocalypse and it just didn’t work, IMO. Think of something new, folks!

WGough: Holy moly you’re a writing machine! So are these drafted words all part of Book II’s revision? Eh, send the bourbon o’er here, ta! Sweeties and Doctor Who sounds epic.

Keithy: You’re totally right. I have an ‘explorations’ folder for all the junk — just in case it ever comes in handy! 974 is top notch for any day, never mind one in Christmas week.

Layla: So weird, I’ve been waking 2-4 a lot recently. If the Tudors are to be believed, humans naturally slept in two chunks before the days of streetlights, so we might be returning to our more natural selves. Dunno about you but I’m gonna keep wearing deodorant for now.

Cindyt: Great job tackling all three again (though that interview sounds rough).

SecondMoon: EXACTLY — you’re building your writing muscle and it doesn’t matter what you’re getting, what matters is you’re committing to doing a wee bit every day.

I wrote a wee bit more today (822) so I could cross the 20k mark. I’ve run out of story again so will need to get back to the notebook before tomorrow’s session. Today’s words were truly awful — almost comically bad — but they’re better off on the page than stuck in the dark chasm that is my brain. Now, I do believe it is time for wine.

Day 28: Wee bit; 7 miles; chilly beach fun

Pterofan
12-28-2018, 10:49 PM
Day 27 - 79 words
Day 28 - 1-1/2 pages longhand/call it 500-600 words

Slacked off a bit yesterday, then made up for it this morning. This isn't a story yet; it's something I'm fooling around with that may turn into a story. I'm going to try to go back to the romance series starting on New Year's Day, with this as my Plan B.

I've been dropping in sporadically on the Dr. Who marathon. This is one of the few times cable TV pays off.

Keithy
12-29-2018, 04:25 AM
Pterofan - that's progress. I like progress :)

Supping whiskey here. I did some planning for the "temple" chapter - which might be two chapters - and wrote 23 words just for the sake of writing something.

Keep swimming!

WGough
12-29-2018, 05:07 AM
Day 28
Revised three chapters. Drafted one chapter. 1919 words.

Keithy: Way to swim.

Layla: Nice progress. Boo to screwy sleep patterns.

Cindyt: What a great day. Bummer interview. I use a mouse with my laptop, but I might be old.

The Second Moon: Consider my fingers crossed. You can do it!

April Swanson: The words are definitely better off on the page. Reward yourself! Yes, the drafted words are plot fixes for Book II. It was seriously short, a scant 60K words. Now it's up to 71K, and I have twelve chapters of this round to go.

Pterofan: Nice job! Way to plan.

Have a good weekend, folks.

Layla Nahar
12-29-2018, 06:34 AM
Excellent, Cindy :)

Congrats on writing every day, starry (I started my writing habit with 'at least 1 sentence a day'.)

Yah, April - they called it First Sleep & Second Sleep (haven't seen the Tudors…) but siesta culture is also another example of sleep being split into two parts. & congrats on the 800+ words :)

Nice work, Ptero!

Keithy, congrats on the supping & the 23 words ;)

Very nice, Gough

Day 28

WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - earning service
$$ - indy project (wee bit)

The Second Moon
12-29-2018, 04:17 PM
Day 28: 17 words but still pushing towards day thirty-one!

Cindyt
12-29-2018, 05:47 PM
Day 28

Draft - 12

Polished - 1 scene

April - The interview was rough for me, but there was information about the accident that only the family knew. She took it with the amazing grace that family possesses. 822 words is awesome!

WGough - I’m getting a mouse. In the meantime, I’m drafting on Word Online, which is saved to my offline manuscripts. Nice draft and revision.

Layla - WTG on the ½ page!

All I wanted to do today was sleep, and I surrendered because there days when I have rabid insomnia.

I am :rant: at Microsoft for not including a WORKS-type wordprocessor with Windows10. I don’t like any of the ones offered on the Internet. I’ll probably use WORD online for other documents that have nothing at all to do with drafting.

I was laying in bed this morning and the ending of the crime novel came to me in a flash. :hooray:

April Swanson
12-29-2018, 09:28 PM
Pterofan: Good effort. Enjoy DW. David Tennant is by far my fave.

Keithy: Enjoy that whisky :)

WGough: Wooft, you’re making amazing progress!

Layla: Nice work writing 1/2 page (is there a culture that has a Third Sleep? I’d fit in there).

SecondMoon: You’re so close!

Cindyt: Yay for figuring out the ending! I use Scrivener now but I do miss good ole Word. Pages just ain’t the same.

Couldn’t be arsed today, so I wrote 213 to make it 1k over the last two days. I’m approaching swampy Act II which is probably why I’m having trouble. I was gonna up my target for the last few days of holiday, but now I think I’ll stick to 500 and spend more time brainstorming.

Day 29: Wee bit; 3.5 miles; gin fog

Pterofan
12-29-2018, 10:12 PM
Another drive-by today, with writing being put off until later. Got ambitious and changed the vacuum bag; my bedroom is clean once again! I'll finish the rest of the house this weekend.

That fantasy thingie is getting interesting. I thought it was just going to be a series of unrelated stories until I realized the narrator/storyteller has been hunting his immortal target throughout history. In the last chapter we find out he's been sitting with her in a bar this whole time, telling her the stories of how he's tracked her down and now is ready to kill her. By the time I'm done it'll all fit together. Pantsing is fun.

It's kind of got a Tanith Lee vibe to it. I should dig out some of her books and reread them. She was one of my favorites back in my early SFF days.