Cat--tastrophe!

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Last summer I adopted a couple of abandoned kittens. I knew that at 67, I was too old for kittens but there didn't seem to be anything else to do. I bought the milk replacer, a bottle, ear mite meds and named them Zinnia and Zilphia. (I was planting zinnias when I found them.) I have taken them to the vet, had them spayed at the beginning of their wild teenage tears, and put up with their high jinx. How do they pay me back? Comfort in my old age? Hell, no.

One of their fav jinx is to cling to the screen door and wail when I start to make a meal. On Sunday they almost killed me. I had enough of their howling so I tossed a pan of water on them. They ran into the garden, shocked at Mom's bad temper. I busied myself making a stew. A couple of hours later, I decided to make corn bread but saw that my cornmeal was outdated--2016 to be truthful. So I stepped out onto the deck to discard the cornmeal. Only it was 11* and the cat-scattering water was now a frozen lake. I hit the deck, hard. Hard enough to have to call my daughter for help.

Like the cats, she has no sympathy for her aging mother. She cracked up and told me that I have more cats than Jesus. She says this a lot. I don't know where she got this. I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't have a single cat. St. Francis maybe, but not Jesus. Anyway, she had her car keys and wanted to take me to the county ER-- in another town. I have my pride so I flat refused, but this morning my arm is kind of wonky so I'm driving myself over to see the doctor. His wife has a thing for cats too, so I will have a sympathetic ear.

Anyway, this is not the first time a cat has tried to kill me. Any one else with a cat story?

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
The other night, our large, white cat was sleeping in his usual spot on the pillow between my and my spouse's heads. Leo (the cat) was starting to edge onto my pillow, so I grumpily rolled over in bed and pulled my pillow from under his vast bulk (Leo is over 16 pounds). Leo is usually calm and placid, but I must have caught him in the middle of a dream or something, because he woke up abruptly and leaped across my spouse's face, sticking one paw in said spouse's right eye. Well, the spouse is legally blind in his other eye, having only blurry vision in his left eye.

He spent some time in the bathroom at 3 AM, trying to determine whether the cornea of his good eye was scratched. Turned out it wasn't, but needless to say, we were both more than a bit put out with Leo.

Note that Leo is generally a calm and sweet cat who does nothing worse that occasionally chomp down on our forearms without breaking the skin (it's sort of a ritual when he wants to be fed or is bored). Even the vet loves him, because he generally takes things in stride.

My spouse also has a scar on his forehead from a cat we had many years ago. Also a sweet tempered animal, Oscar nonetheless jumped from the windowsill one night and landed on the spouse's forehead. I don't think it was intentional, but spouse was teaching his first-ever lecture course the next morning, so showed up to his first day of work with a big "dueling scar" over one of his eyebrows.

I don't know why the cats always want to land on his face and not mine...

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I worked for a vet for many years. One of my favorite memories was the cat that came in with an applesauce jar stuck on his head. He'd poked his head in there, gotten stuck, and made his way home looking like a slightly-irritated astronaut. The owner, a regular client of ours, was afraid she'd hurt him getting it off, so it fell to us to do the deed.

The gentlest of tugs and it slipped right off, easy as pie, with kitty no worse for wear. We got a laugh out of the whole thing and sent the lady on her way, no charge.

The funny thing, though, is that this particular cat must have lived near a dump, or just had a knack for finding random jars, because darned if this scene didn't play out twice more over the next month.

After that, either kitty wised up, or the owner became brave enough to remove the jars herself, since they didn't come in again for that particular issue.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Another story from my vet days. Working with animals every day, it's pretty common to get a little banged up, and a bruise or scratch doesn't generally bother me. However, during the last week of my engagement, I was extra careful at work to avoid getting bitten or scratched, because I had a sleeveless wedding gown and didn't want to look all beat up in the wedding photos.

My final day of work before the wedding, the very last patient of the day was a cat. Now this particular cat was generally sweet-tempered so I wasn't really concerned, but my coworker was like, "you know what? You made it the whole week without incident. I'll take this last patient, and you can leave a bit early." Well, I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I thanked him and skedaddled.

It was only after I got back from the honeymoon that I learned that the normally-sweet cat had been really, REALLY cranky that day. She'd scratched the heck out of my poor coworker, so he truly saved my hide by taking that appointment. It's the only wedding present I recieved that was paid for in blood...

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This isn't a cat story, but I recently slipped and fell in dog drool on our kitchen floor. I was okay but had a couple of bruises.

One of our dogs drools rather viscous saliva when he is in a sit or down stay and waiting to be fed and released to his dinner bowl. It is extremely slippery on vinyl flooring when one steps in it with bare feet. I now place a napkin under him when I'm dishing up the food and he's in his "stay." We joke that dog drool would make an industrial-strength lubricant.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I heard a good one in the faculty lounge about dog poop and a Roombah. The dog had been perfectly house trained for years but on this particular day had a cranky bowel. Unfortunately that was roombah day. The family came home to wall to wall dog doo. --s6

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hope your arm feels better soon Shakey. Cat stories? I have many. Currently, though, I'm dealing with 'borrowing' extra time with my last cat, Hobbes (13 years old). He's having the ubiquitous feline kidney problems... on anti-nausea and appetite stimulant meds and SubQ fluids. I went through this last November with my 'precious', Pumpkin (she made it to 17 years). Then, on July 4th, Pumpkin's father (Ernie: four-paws polydactyl) died—old age; he was 20 and a insulin-dependent diabetic. The good news is: So far, Hobbes is responding well to treatment, but at 75% kidney-function loss his time is limited now. I'll enjoy however much time he'll grant me.

Now, I'm going to be that person:

Protect birds by reining in cats.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Came home with a couple of sausage rolls and sat down with cuppa to enjoy.

Cat almost bloody mugged me to get at them. Plenty of her own food in her bowl, but nah!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Speaking of cats and food stealing, our large, white cat Leo is a major carb addict. He's a very large-framed cat, but some of his weight needs to come off, so we've been feeding him diet cat food. He's lost a bit, but predictably, he thinks he is starving (to be fair, diets do that to everyone). So we have to keep rubber bands around all our cupboard doors. He'll tear into loaves of bread, boxes of crackers, packages of bagels, cookies or anything else like that. It's not uncommon to come into the kitchen and find the food cupboards rifled and the half-eaten items on the floor. His favorite trick is to get a loaf of bread out and tear a chunk out of each piece, ruining the entire loaf.

Today he spilled a 5 lb bag of sugar (for baking) all over the floor because he was poking around in our pantry.

Sigh.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of cats and food stealing, our large, white cat Leo is a major carb addict

When I was a nipper we got a couple of cats - Caesar and Cleopatra - to counter an invasion of mice in the pantry. They soon did their job, with the notable exception that the mice were getting into the bread-bin in the kitchen and nibbling off the ends of the bread.

One day we decided to sprinkle flour all round the bread-bin to see whether we could find out where the mice were coming from. Next morning there was a very clear trail of floury paw-prints leading to the top of the fridge where Cleopatra was curled up and sleeping like a baby...

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
When my kids were young we had a cat named Daniel. He was a white cat with a black tail, black ears and two black spots on his back. My husband's family did not keep pets, not even a goldfish, not ever. He simply did not understand the concept of pets. Our bedroom was on the second floor. There was a roofed patio with a picnic table below. Late at night, when Daniel wanted in, he would climb to our window, hang on the screen and yowl. My husband would jump out of bed, yank the blinds, open the window and then empty a squirt gun that he kept under the bed, into Daniel's face. Daniel would yowl. Gill would curse. Daniel would yowl louder but continue to hang on. Sometimes Gill would refill the squirt gun but Daniel never let go. Eventually Gill would raise the window and let him in. Daniel would stalk off to sleep with one of the girls. Gill would stomp back to bed. In the morning they were friends again. Sometimes I mis the drama--s6

Last edited:

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Also mine seems to be a literary critic. She decides she wants a cuddle, so lap here she comes, the hell with the computer already in place. Sodface has refined the business of introducing paw to keyboard -- for most catastrophic result -- down to a fine art.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I had to replace my keyboard this summer because Zilphia clawed some of the keys out. My fault for trying to forcibly remove her from her favorite nappy spot--my laptop. By the way, my arm checked out, nothing broken just a deep bruise. --s6