Any HAM Elmers (radio operators) out there?

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
So, my work currently has me ramping up on VoLTE configuration sets for engineering tasks so that I can teach other engineers about how to configure hardware and software. Pretty cool stuff to get into the radio elements here, which is right up my alley as a geek. The history of radio in telephony, specifically cellular communications, is quite fascinating. All of that radio discussion has gotten me interested in getting my HAM radio license (as a Technician)...

Apparently in the ham radio community there are tutors (or Elmers as they call them) that can tutor people. I could likely learn from self study, but part of the appeal is connecting to the community there as well, so figured there must be some AWers who are also a part of the ham radio operator community.

If you'd be interested in connecting, post here (share your call sign if you like too).

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know any HAM operators, but a nice story from almost 50 years ago.

Our late, beloved statesman Barry Goldwater was a HAM operator. He had a huge tower on his property on a hill. It was grandfathered in after town rules changed. During the Viet Nam war his station ran 24 hours a day, with a rotating assortment of operators. My father did a year in country during 1970. One night the phone rang at our house, the telephone operator asked if we would accept a collect call from Barry Goldwater. Of course I said yes. Mr. Goldwater himself came on the line to say he had a call from my father. I recognized his voice. We talked with my Dad for probably 5-10 minutes, all the way from Viet Nam.

About 15 years later I had the opportunity to tell his daughter about the call. When I told her I was almost as excited to talk with her father as with my own, she thought that was funny.

HAM operators are some of God's chosen people.

MM