PDA

View Full Version : Lethal blow to the head

efreysson
11-10-2018, 02:50 PM
I'm writing about a vampire, and when she wants to dispose of someone stealthily and without advertising the fact that a vampire did it I have her just deliver a single superpowered punch to the head. If one compares this to, say, a sledgehammer swing by a very strong man, would that do it for a quiet assassination? Or might the victim spasm or make a noise? Does location matter? I'm thinking of having her maybe yank the victim down into a stoop and then striking at the base of the neck.

D. E. Wyatt
11-10-2018, 07:43 PM
I mean it will probably be quiet, sure. But it will also be extremely messy if you're assuming the punch is going to ACTUALLY hit with the force of a sledgehammer. A skull is liable to crack, if not shatter, and there WILL be splatter. Not exactly subtle. So a lot depends on whether she intends the poor guy to just disappear, or if she's leaving the body behind to be found.

SarahJane
11-10-2018, 08:13 PM
You can kill a person with one punch to the nose. The bones in the nose can zoop up into the brain, and death is instant. This happened to someone I went to school with. He got in a bar fight, guy threw one unlucky punch, and he dropped down dead.

So a vampire could easily accomplish this without using much force.

efreysson
11-10-2018, 08:29 PM
You can kill a person with one punch to the nose. The bones in the nose can zoop up into the brain, and death is instant. This happened to someone I went to school with. He got in a bar fight, guy threw one unlucky punch, and he dropped down dead.

I thought that was a myth.

SarahJane
11-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Well, it may not be a common occurrence, but like I said, I knew a guy who died from one punch to the nose.

cbenoi1
11-10-2018, 08:53 PM

So a vampire could easily accomplish this without using much force.

It sounds like the "lucky punch" needs to be repeatable and systematic in the OP's case. If you can spare some blood (don't vampires love this stuff?), then a long knife up the atlas and into the medulla oblongata does the job. Otherwise a blow to the larynx, then the side of the head, followed by snapping of the neck.

-cb

WeaselFire
11-11-2018, 06:37 PM
The nose has no "bones", it's all cartilage and just crumbles, it cannot kill. The rest of the skull that is bone will not fracture into shards that will pierce the brain and kill. All myth.

The quickest kill without exterior damage or sound is a neck snapping move. Hand clamped over mouth to prevent calls out, quick spin of the head to snap the neck and sever the spinal cord. A punch can do similar if it spins the neck hard enough, plenty of boxers have suffered this type of blow. A simple punch to the temple can incapacitate momentarily by either popping the carotid (right side of head) and sending a blood pressure spike to the brain or by sloshing the brain around enough to disorient a person, often to the point of unconsciousness (again, boxing's knockout blow). Once incapacitated, a neck break is easier.

Jeff

SarahJane
11-11-2018, 08:10 PM
All right, I did some research, and I admit I was wrong about the nose bones zooping up, but a punch to the nose can kill a person and did kill the guy I went to school with. Google "one punch can kill."

aheuett
11-13-2018, 12:22 PM
For a stealthy takedown with super strength, the head twist would be a pretty good choice. A punch could make a loud sound, similar to the strikes you hear in boxing or MMA (although gloves add noise) and maybe closer to someone hitting their head on a hard surface like concrete, although depending on the circumstances this might not be too loud. A sudden and decisively lethal strike would result in no verbal reply or other behavior as the victim would completely lose muscle control and drop like a rag doll. The knockout symptoms you see in fighters KOed are a result of a brain that still functions but has been damaged and forced out of consciousness. If you can find any videos of people dying from an explosion, it would be similar to that minus any movement of the body caused by the explosion (the body does not have to be flung like a movie for the blast to be lethal). A strike like this would result in a smashed skull and hemorrhaging of the brain but not necessarily a splatter or significant blood loss, depending on how traumatic the injury is and if the brain can still cause the heart to pump afterward.

I base this from being a fan and former competitor of both abovementioned sports, firsthand experience with trauma victims including a few lethal ones, informal research from good sources about traumatic brain injuries, and training regarding explosive devices for law enforcement.

JimmyB27
11-15-2018, 07:05 PM
Why not just a choke or a strangle?

veinglory
11-15-2018, 08:01 PM
Traditionally hitting the lower brain is considered "the gateway to heaven". As an efficient vampire I would use something innocuous like a pencil or knitting needle to pith people -- immediately stopping life functions. Very few other methods are instantaneous.

Myrealana
11-15-2018, 08:09 PM
A neck-break move is more efficient and less messy.

A well-trained normal strength human can deliver one, a super-strength vampire wouldn't need special training.

MASON666
11-16-2018, 01:45 AM
A hit to the head can be really ineffective.
If you have ever seen real people die that way.
A victim might start convulsing and make all kind of horrible noises before he or she dies.

Did you know that a brain stays alive up to 30 seconds after decapitation?

/M666