Googling authors' age makes me feel old ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

goddessofgliese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katechenli.com
Recently I've started to pay attention to the authors' pictures on the back cover of the books I read. They all look so young! So I googled their age. Most of them are either in their 20s or early 30s. Considering I'm already in my early 40s and haven't had a single book published, it makes me feel really old.

I know, I know, it's kinda silly. Still ...

If you are like me, how do you feel?

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
the average age for a debut trade published author is 37 :)

meaning 50% of debut authors are over 37, and 50% are younger.

I really think young authors are the exception rather than the norm. It takes time to learn craft, gain life experience, and so on. Plus the actual time spent querying, subbing, waiting for a book to be released... I imagine authors in their twenties are probalby the exception and not the norm, especially considering how poorly writing pays over all.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Recently I've started to pay attention to the authors' pictures on the back cover of the books I read. They all look so young! So I googled their age. Most of them are either in their 20s or early 30s. Considering I'm already in my early 40s and haven't had a single book published, it makes me feel really old.

Step Away From The Google. :granny:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score

^ Yeah, I'm 68 and I don't think I've cured long enough to start seeking publication. I'ma give it another year or two.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

:roll:

Good advice. Of all the things to feel like an insecure author about, the fact I'm a late bloomer is not one of them.

Now, reading someone's excellent ending when mine doesn't come even close to that level expertise, now that is something to feel insecure about.

- - - Updated - - -

Early 40s? You're a young 'un!

Just remember that some of those author headshots aren't...current.
I am tempted to pull out an old pic.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
^ Yeah, I'm 68 and I don't think I've cured long enough to start seeking publication. I'ma give it another year or two.

I'm 65 and finishing the book I've been working 7 years on. I only get annoyed when people make generalizations that one's first book is never marketable. Pffft. It will be if I keep improving it.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Of all the things I twist myself into knots obsessing about, this isn't one of them. Am I aware I'm not eligible for any 30 under 30 or 40 under 40 lists? Yup. But maybe one of us will inspire a 50 over 50 list. ��

Personally, I wish there were more books featuring MCs who aren't just starting out in life (even if they're starting a new "act") so I'm writing them.

The good part of good writing is it doesn't have a shelf life.

goddessofgliese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katechenli.com
Thanks for all your wisdom! :D I know worrying about my age is silly, but sometimes I cannot help but feel envious of those writers who got published in their 20s.

Step 1: stay away from Google. LOL.

Last edited:

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Of all the things I twist myself into knots obsessing about, this isn't one of them. Am I aware I'm not eligible for any 30 under 30 or 40 under 40 lists? Yup. But maybe one of us will inspire a 50 over 50 list.
I would browse a 50 over 50 list with great interest. Especially such a list of women authors.

Personally, I wish there were more books featuring MCs who aren't just starting out in life (even if they're starting a new "act") so I'm writing them.
This, too.

:e2coffee:

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score

I just turned 40 early this year. Forty is the new 20! :Clap: Yeah, I said it. Anyway, I cut my teeth in this industry. I started writing straight out of high school and finally got published in my late 20's. Forty is a baby in this industry. Most of the people I see who are newbies are way older than you and me. There are people on AW who are in their 60's and 70's who have just finished their first books.

My advice, stop worrying about age. As long as you're breathing (and should I say again, you are NOT old) you can write. Age has nothing to do with anything in this business but trust me, most writers are a lot older even ones starting out.

Now cheer up, go write and stop Googling people. :Hug2:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Just wanted to add, the thing about pictures not being up to date is also so true.

Not an author, but Donald Maass (lit agent) has a picture of himself on his agency website that is at least twenty years out of date. He's just never bother to update it, probably because it doesn't matter and he has better things to do lol. (compare it to his Twitter photo for an up to date one.)

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I was 47 when my first book was published. My mom is 88, and her first to-be-published book is in its final round of edits. :)

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I'm 65 and finishing the book I've been working 7 years on. I only get annoyed when people make generalizations that one's first book is never marketable. Pffft. It will be if I keep improving it.

Don't believe them. I was able to sell the first novel I wrote, so if I can do it so can you.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No one is ever really satisfied with their chronological age or the aging process . . . until they consider the alternative . . .

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
So this might sound like a weird way to look at this but I WAS published in my 20s and it isn't at all as career defining as some think it is. Yes, the advantage with being first published young is that I've had an ongoing career that started earlier and has been relatively fruitful for sure. The literal matter of how much time one has to put work out there is an advantage absolutely. But at the same time, being published at a younger age doesn't automatically earn you brownie points. I was never on any under 30 lists, I was never praised for my age or had people impressed (maybe because I write for kids? I dunno). It did on occasion make people think I didn't know what I was talking about and more than once people assumed I was the PR person promoting the book, not the author herself. I had to work twice as hard to be taken seriously sometimes (and let's not even start on the young AND female thing). So honestly I'd say being young had more disadvantages in that way.

Basically my point is, as someone who has been there I can tell you not all of us get the youth based accolades of those you see on lists etc. Those people are still rare, are still the exceptions not the rule. The rest of us didn't get such praise or advantage. And as such, I really really want to say that age so doesn't matter the way many think it does. It just matters in those exceptional circumstances that seem common because those are the ones that get the publicity.

Also, as an actor, I can't tell you fully how amazing it is not to have to worry about looks or age when it comes to writing. I understand the fear expressed here, but it's nothing compared to being a woman and an actor. It's so freeing being an author that way. Truly :) .

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I don’t know. In the world of YA Twitter, I have often felt that both youth and photogenic looks confer advantages. As well as knowing the current slang and memes, of course.

But out of that particular world, it’s not a big deal. No one in publishing has ever asked my age. Did I try to make sure my author photo “looked younger,” though? Ahem. Yes. Do I post lots of selfies? No.

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in my twenties and I agree w everybody. Obsessing over age is toxic, and unhelpful, and irrelevant. It's like an irrational fear. There are people my age who think they've missed their chance too! That's basically proof age in publishing is gobbledy gook and nothing to pay attention to. I think the age thing is happening because of the internet, and younger people have earlier access to writing resources. I know I did.

brightspark

Registered
Reaction score
the average age for a debut trade published author is 37 :)

meaning 50% of debut authors are over 37, and 50% are younger.

I really think young authors are the exception rather than the norm. It takes time to learn craft, gain life experience, and so on. Plus the actual time spent querying, subbing, waiting for a book to be released... I imagine authors in their twenties are probalby the exception and not the norm, especially considering how poorly writing pays over all.

I read this as "plus the actual time spent querying, sobbing, waiting for a book to be released" and I was like wow tis so TRUE before I realised what you'd actually written.

goddessofgliese, everyone has their own writing path. Don't worry about everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.